Author Topic: Damn you, dozy embrace scene...  (Read 9631 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Damn you, dozy embrace scene...
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 11:56:37 pm »
Not corny at all Buffymon...I have felt the same way but not at work, and wished I was Jack, to feel that love from Ennis...
I agree, not corny at all. Who has not wished for someone to come up behind us and embrace us, hum to us like our mother did, a long long time ago?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:48 am »
I agree, not corny at all. Who has not wished for someone to come up behind us and embrace us, hum to us like our mother did, a long long time ago?

I concur! No corn products in that at all! that is one of the most beautiful and IMHO, one of the most defining scenes in the movie.
It came at atime we needed to be reminded of the love and tenderness they felt for one another. We all need and long for that!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 04:17:09 pm »
I concur! No corn products in that at all! that is one of the most beautiful and IMHO, one of the most defining scenes in the movie.
It came at atime we needed to be reminded of the love and tenderness they felt for one another. We all need and long for that!

There are 2 scenes in BBM that show such tenderness and love that they never fail to move me to tears. On is the dozy embrace, the other is the motel scene where Ennis is in Jack's arms and just gently rocks his arm. In a way that gesture is far more intimate than sex. It also shows a level of comfort that we do not often witness.They are both it is inferred, naked in bed, having had sex but are in no hurry to rush off and get dressed.
For me, the biggest demonstration of being at ease with someone is to lie vulnerable in your nakedness with that person. There is no mind blowing sex to hide behind, just a pure unadulterated moment of love.
The sex can be played down which ever way sits better with the two of them, but to lie entwined, smoking and talking after sex is such a tender and loving thing.It is as if the 4 year gap never happened, and to me those scenes along with the reunion kiss are the ones which show beyond any doubt that Jack and Ennis are in love.
The last scene in the tent where we see Ennis with his arm wrapped protectively round Jack is pretty special as well.

If I look back along the road I have travelled, I remember some sexual encounters, but I remember even more basking afterwards in the warmth of someone's love. To lie naked with someone is to expose yourself 100%.