Author Topic: Ennis' Wedding Scene  (Read 2697 times)

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Ennis' Wedding Scene
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:01:46 am »
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (but I'm always late for the party!)

I was watching BBM for the upteenth time yesterday and really trying to pick up on the way movie and tv clips, songs, etc were used for effect in the movie- and I noticed something else.

During Ennis' wedding scene, the first words we hear them reciting of "The Lord's Prayer" are, "...and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

I know many of us, instead of seeing it as Ennis cheating on Alma with Jack, we see it as Ennis leaving Jack for Alma. So I was thinking that it was very significant that those were the words we hear as soon as the Wedding scene opens. Did any of you see it this way?
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ennis' Wedding Scene
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:00:30 am »
Did any of you see it this way?

Not til you brought it up.  Good point, New Girl!  Very glad, you're here.  Clarissa

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 10:26:24 am »
I do think it's significant that those are the first words -- especially the way they overlap the previous scene, voice-overing Ennis collapsed in praying position in the alley.

The way I've always heard them, especially since the next shot is of Ennis mouthing along with the prayer, is representing Ennis' intentions to commit himself to his new life/wife and put his trespasses on Brokeback behind him.

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:20:25 am »
"...and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us..."

This resonates with the words on the sign on Aguirre's trailer, which in turn resonate with Ennis' "one-shot thing".
Maybe like this, in part...
Aguirre's point of view is that trespassers will be shot.  Ennis was, right through the heart, when he fell in love with Jack.  He went on to marry Alma, that action being a trespass in more than one way, then barely survived ("all I got time for is making a living").
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:22:02 am by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:25:07 am »
Wow you managed to pack a lot of information into that post, Lynne! Makes me see the sign on Aguirre's trailer in a whole new light!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:41:05 pm »
voice-overing Ennis collapsed in praying position in the alley.

I hadn't thought about the double meaning of Ennis' body's position in that way... thanks for pointing it out... yet another tiny detail to ponder!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."