Author Topic: Help save the Twist Ranch  (Read 2293 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Help save the Twist Ranch
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:33:36 am »
The Dave Cullen board discovered that the house used to film the Twist Ranch scenes in the movie is in bad shape, and the owner needs to know that there are people interested in seeing the house in order to be at all interested in preserving it for the future.

Here's the link to their message about it:
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=10356.0
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

gattaca

Re: Help save the Twist Ranch
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:19:09 am »
I will seriously consider supporting this! I have an interesting coincidence to share with you. The house I lived in in Rainier, Oregon for 12 years, before I pulled up stakes and moved to Tucson, looks exactly like the Twist ranch house.
Here are pictures:

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:53:32 am »
BUMP!
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:54:07 am »
My God Gregg. That DOES look like Jack's house! You weren't kidding were you? :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

gattaca

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:00:20 am »
Nope, I wasn't kidding. :)
The resemblence is spot-on.

Both houses have the same steeply gabled roof lines (We re-roofed that house ourselves in 2002 and I nearly broke my neck in the process - I'm a klutz). I'm not sure what the style is called.
There are some small differences - my old house is bigger I believe, than the Alberta ranch house, and the Alberta ranch house does not look to have a cellar.
That house is "still in the family", so to speak. My dear friend Kathy still owns it. The land was homesteaded by her father Fred Zimmerman in 1930 (the Zimmerman name is legion in the Portland Oregon area lexicon - a family name associated with logging concerns which goes back 10 generations - look up "Zimmerman's 12-mile" in Google). The house sits on a pristine 129 acres of heavily forested 2nd growth Douglas fir up in the Oregon coast range about halfway between Portland and Tillamook. It's very remote. But that is one of the things I loved about it.

Needless to say, I have a very personal reason for wating to see that ranch house preserved.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:40:59 am by gattaca »