Author Topic: I met our illustrious moderator!!  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
I met our illustrious moderator!!
« on: June 10, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »
Today is a special day in Brokiedom, with get-togethers all across the U.S. (while the rest of the world is World Cupping). I had an amazing rendezvous with our own moderator latjoreme right here in the Rocky Mountains!! We met at Ted's Montana Grill, ate buffalo and strawberry shortcake (almost as good as elk and canned peaches), walked and talked, sat down and talked, went to have a beer and talk, drove around and talked some more. It was like chatting with several dimensions added! I feel like we only started some topics that need expanding, but that is mainly because I want to continue the discussion here! One thing to keep in mind is to honor and be good to our moderators because they work so hard to make this place safe, supportive, and totally addictive for all of us! Katherine, a Rocky Mountain toast to you (a tip of my spatterware enamel whiskey cup), and I hope to see you again soon whenever your rambles bring you this way.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: I met our illustrious moderator!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 09:12:32 pm »
Pictures?    Did you bring a camera to document another Brokie get together? 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:25:32 pm »
Sounds like a lot of fun!  :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 09:30:11 pm »
Yes, Amanda we talked about you and Mel and how our foursome would have felt complete. In answer to you, David, well, Katharine and I are both professional writers, so we will just have to write a K of words to describe the encounter! And I have no doubt that we will! Actually, I did bring my camera, but I thought if she had wanted to have a pic of herself on the board she would have posted it already. Though with stunning red hair she is eminently photogenic and fits in with Colorful Colorado very well! Beautiful turquoise jewelry too (handmade).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 09:31:58 pm »
That's great, Lee!  I'm so glad you and Katherine got to chew the fat in person.  It's amazing how it seems like you've been friends for years, isn't it?  I hope we get to have a big get-together next year and multiply the fun.  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 09:36:43 pm »
Heya,
Thanks Lee!  It certainly would be great to have the chance to chat in person.  Maybe someday.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 09:51:45 pm »
Actually Meryl we ate buffalo at Ted's Montana Grill, and U know buffalo is very low-fat and good for you! We had to splurge on strawberry shortcake for dessert tho. U Easterners may not know that TMG is owned by Ted Turner, owner of the biggest herd of buffalo in the U.S., maybe the world. The city of Denver keeps a buffalo herd about 2 miles from my home for tourists to come and enjoy. There was a children's book called "Nickel, the Baby Buffalo" about an albino buffalo that was born to the herd. Also near my house is Buffalo Bill's grave on Lookout Mountain. Okay, end of geography lesson.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 08:00:01 am »
Yes, Amanda we talked about you and Mel and how our foursome would have felt complete.

That is so interesting that you said this - I picture the four of you in some very special wonderful category of BBM insight and tenderness.   The four of you have definitely enriched many a thread together.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 04:30:14 pm »
:) Thanks for thinking of me. Tell you what, I was pretty jealous of the two of you getting together. Too bad this state is so damn big!

(And Front-Ranger, now I've got a pretty good idea of where you live, down to the interstate exit. ;D )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 03:35:01 am »
I had so much fun on my afternoon with Lee I could have pawed the white out of the moon (and, in fact, it was a fullish moon that night)!

As others who have done it may agree, it is strange to meet in person someone you know only through disembodied words. Frankly, I was a tiny bit nervous. But five minutes into it, I knew it would be great. If most lunch meetings with "strangers" start with step 1, I felt like we were starting at 4, or 6, or 8. We already knew bits about each other's backgrounds and how we felt about certain things. We could jump right into subjects I might not normally talk about until I'd known the other person for years. We talked about Brokeback, about BetterMost, about politics and movies, about our families, our work, our pasts, our futures ... the only topic we tactfully avoided was Lureen, as we've disagreed about her in the past!  ;D

We wondered if maybe there are other qualities (in addition to fish tacos -- see polling place!), that Brokies unwittingly all share, besides our obvious obsession. What else explains this amazing bond we all have?

After a great lunch Lee and I walked around, she gave me a ride back to my brother's, we sat in the yard talking, decided that wasn't enough and went back into town for a beer, talked a while more. Lee showered me with Western hospitality and even gifts, including a little spatterware coffee cup -- which I later properly broke(backed) in with a shot of whiskey from my brother's liquor cabinet (Jim Beam, not Old Rose, but close enough -- I said an Ennis-like "thank you" when my brother poured it). She showed me photos of her beautiful children. She lent me her copy of "Story to Screenplay" to read on the plane, which I did.

I described my encounter to everyone I talked to that weekend, but I'm not sure how much they really got it. To say that you had lunch with someone from an internet message board sounds so disembodied and impersonal. What's hard to convey -- and I can understand their confusion, because I probably wouldn't have believed it myself -- is how close you can feel to someone you've never "met" except online.

I hope to meet many others of you someday soon (and one of you in particular, very soon!  :D).

PS Lee, that's nice of you to be sensitive, though actually I am not so much photo-shy as I am photo-inept (I don't have a current pic of myself; I lost my camera charger months ago and for some reason  ::)  haven't had time to get it replaced). Anyway, next time I'm there, let's definitely get a picture together; you're pretty darn photogenic yourself. Meanwhile, one of these days I'll replace that charger and post my own.

* Edited, for lucidity, this morning.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 02:51:20 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 06:51:11 pm »
I just noticed on the bottom of the receipt from Ted's this quote:

Nobody but the cattle know
why they stampede and they
ain't talking.
--Anonymous
Everybody wants to get into the act! BTW, that reminds me. This just in (by way of elevator ads) Eminem's going to be in a Western movie next...  ::)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:20:47 pm »
That's a terrific story!  I'm so happy you guys were able to get together and that it went so well - very very cool!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 11:18:22 pm »
Lynne, you're on Front-Ranger's most wanted list, to get together for some fish tacos!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:47:38 am by Front-Ranger »