Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120103 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Who Loves Fish?
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:48:17 pm »
Latjoreme and I met in mid-June...and one of the hundreds of things that came up in our conversation was that we both LUV fish tacos. So, she thought it would be very interesting if there was a correlation between people who like FT and those who like BBM. C'mon, let us know and we might share the recipe with U!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 06:48:22 am by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Who Loves Fish Tacos?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 11:22:16 pm »
I'm assuming this poll and the 'fish taco' thing is literal?

After all, I live in Texas and we make tacos out of anything that used to be moving and some that weren't.

I've never tried fish tacos, but as I like po-boys, I can't imagine I wouldn't like fish tacos.  I know I love fried shrimp tacos.

gattaca

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:39:33 pm »
I love fish tacos, but the best ones are in Baja California, south of San Bartolo and a little north of Cabo San Lucas in a remote area called Cabo Pulmo with a few areas for scuba diving in the Sea of Cortez (which I do) and a palapa with no name which serves the most incredible fish tacos I've ever had (with a Modelo Especial if that's your thing).

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:45:09 pm »
Tacos de pescado!  Love them.  Looove Them.
My fish tacos were acquired en Mexico Baja, San Felipe.
I lived on tacos de pescado y Tecate y frijitos negros for weeks!
It's a good life.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Giancarlo

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:08:52 am »
I love any kind of tacos... especially fish ones.

Speaking of Baja California, they had this pacific lobster down there that I had years ago... I really miss it. I think I used to go to a town near Ensenada.

gattaca

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 10:05:18 am »
I found a picture I took in 2002 of the Cabo Pulmo palapa with the best tacos de pescados. We had just finished our last beach dive of the day, and the proprietor had taken the dorado that was caught earlier and made the fish tacos specially for us. My friend Rodolfo is hamming for the camera. (I have a weakness for Hispanic men, what can I say?)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 10:23:20 am »
Great minds think alike! I not only love fish tacos, but I have a weakness for Hispanic men too! Actually, anybody with Latin blood...especially Italians (I married one)!!

Giancarlo

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:49:01 pm »
LOL. I"m half italian/half spanish.

I have a weakness for latinos... in fact that's pretty much the type that comes after me.. :) I usually am not the one who starts it, but they flirt with me... it has happened in the mall more then often.

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:56:35 pm »
I've never had a fish taco, but enjoy po-boys, so probably would like them once tasted. Open to experimentation on this one... ;)

Scott

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 06:09:02 pm »
I'll come down to Texas and cook up some fish tacos for you, Scott. You invite Heath and I'll invite Jake to join us.

Gian, can I accompany you to the mall next time you go? Oops, forgot, I am already married...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 02:33:33 am »
As Lee mentioned, I love fish tacos, too -- with Heath and Jake or even (but somewhat less excitedly) without! As a former New Orleans resident, I also love po' boys. And Gattaca, I definitely see why fish tacos bring back good memories for you.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:53:50 am »
Are po'boys the same as panini??

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:14:58 am »
Heh. I've been avoiding this thread, because if it doesn't live on land, I don't eat it. Well, fish I'll force down for politeness sake, but I don't like them. And don't get me started about invertebrates and seaweed. Yuck!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 10:36:04 am »
Po' boys are basically just huge sandwiches on french rolls. They can contain various fillings -- my favorite is fried shrimp or softshell crab, "dressed," as they say in N.O., which means tomato/lettuce/mayo.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 01:24:03 pm »
Never had em...never want too!   :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 01:27:38 pm »
Another reason to gang up on Mel, lat, and force her to eat fish tacos until she starts to like them!! Washing it down with plenty of beer helps. Oops, looks like we need to do a tour of the Western Slope and visit Chris too!!

Thanks for the po'boy splaining, lat! Hope you had a good trip back. Did U start to get the shakes after being away from BBM for so long? How did you cope? You'll have to go 'way back to last Saturday to find my "I met our illustrious moderator" braggings!

gattaca

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 01:37:58 pm »
We could all do a BBM/Scuba trip to Baja - it'd be a stretch (theme-wise, could Ennis & Jake find love on a beach on the Baja Peninsula?) - I could get us a good deal. I know people there. :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 01:42:02 pm »
Thanks, Lee! While gone, I checked in on BetterMost on my brother's computer two or three times a day, but only about five minutes each time -- way too short for someone like me who, today for instance, has been on here almost constantly since I got up 3 1/2 hours ago.

I did eventually find your lovely thread and added a few braggings of my own -- check it out!

Looks we will have to find a place for fish tacos -- along with elk, beans, lamb, apple pie, cherry cake, coffee, whiskey and beer -- on the Brokie convention menu. Oh, and maybe buffalo, in honor of Ted.

And gattaca -- ooh, Jack and Ennis on the beach in Baja! A slightly incongruous image, but nevertheless lovely.

moremojo

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 02:09:55 pm »

And gattaca -- ooh, Jack and Ennis on the beach in Baja! A slightly incongruous image, but nevertheless lovely.

Well, Jack was always wanting to go someplace warmer with Ennis, like Mexico. Baja would have fit the bill beautifully, I imagine. Brokeback love in Baja--very lovely indeed!

Scott

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 07:51:58 pm »
Anyone got a good recipe?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 10:20:33 pm »
I don't have a recipe...it's been a long time, but the ones I had in Baja had some sort of cilantro mayonnaise.  I think a recipe for that would be the key, for me at least.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2006, 12:06:07 am »
I don't have a recipe...it's been a long time, but the ones I had in Baja had some sort of cilantro mayonnaise.  I think a recipe for that would be the key, for me at least.
-Lynne

Yummy.  The fried shrimp tacos I had had shredded cabbage and a jalapeno ranch/tartar sauce on them.  Mmmm...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2006, 09:54:53 am »
Okay, I promised a recipe and here it is (latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

http://www.jonsullivan.com/recipes/fishtacos.php

Whoever Jon Sullivan is, he has fish tacos figured out! Note that a half bottle of pale ale is needed, the cook gets the other half! Cilantro mayo is included...I've also used wasabi mayo...is that sacrilegeous?? Would like your thoughts, Lynne, and all, on condiments (ketchup...not!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2006, 10:00:07 am »
(latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

To be honest, F-R, I've never made them! I just order them off menus whenever I see them. This looks like a good recipe, though.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 11:34:40 pm »
Okay, I promised a recipe and here it is (latjoreme, since U are "coauthor" of this poll, feel free to chime in w/your favorite!)

Whoever Jon Sullivan is, he has fish tacos figured out! Note that a half bottle of pale ale is needed, the cook gets the other half! Cilantro mayo is included...I've also used wasabi mayo...is that sacrilegeous?? Would like your thoughts, Lynne, and all, on condiments (ketchup...not!)

The few times I've tried to make something like this it was shrimp tacos, specifically, and I just grilled the shrimp with a light olive oil, some fresh herbs including cilantro, and garlic.

I don't think wasabi mayo is sacriligious at all - it sounds like a nice Asian variation.  I am a condiment slut ;)  For many many years I was a strict vegetarian. (I've been trying to get back to that and I'm only about 80% there.)  There was this brew pub in Cambridge MA (Cambridge Brewing Company) that had a hot sauce smorgasboard.  It would seriously take me 2 hours to eat my veggie burger b/c I had to cut it in little pieces and test 12 different sauces.

Edited to add:  Thanks for the recipe link - I bookmarked it and will try to test it out soon.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

gattaca

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 08:30:26 am »
I don't think wasabi mayo is sacriligious at all - it sounds like a nice Asian variation.  I am a condiment slut ;) 

Well you know what they say - Practice Safe Eating: Use Condiments!

Wow, this thread has certainly grown! The only other contribution I can make is that you should make sure the fish is ABSOLUTELY as fresh (preferably just caught) as possible. The little palapa at Cabo Pulmo had the fish we caught prepared and served within an hour after we caught it. It makes a difference! I realize that most folks can't get fish quite that fresh, but if anybody here lives near a fish market, that's the ticket.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 01:48:48 pm »
My latest fantasy: The Lives of the Cowboys (anybody ever listen to that on the Prairie Home Companion?) with Front-Ranger travelling through the Rocky Mountains on my chuckwagon, bringing fish tacos to all the Brokies, cowboys, and roughnecks who can handle 'em. I'd have the condiments all lined up on the sideboards (Lynn, you can pick 'em for me!) and a Basque as sous chef. Hey, Chef Judy, want to join me???

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2006, 07:46:22 pm »
My latest fantasy: The Lives of the Cowboys (anybody ever listen to that on the Prairie Home Companion?) with Front-Ranger travelling through the Rocky Mountains on my chuckwagon, bringing fish tacos to all the Brokies, cowboys, and roughnecks who can handle 'em. I'd have the condiments all lined up on the sideboards (Lynn, you can pick 'em for me!) and a Basque as sous chef. Hey, Chef Judy, want to join me???

:laugh:

The mental picture just caught me off guard.

You guys would certainly make the news and garner a whole new following of Brokies!

I like wasabi mayo.  They sell it in grocery stores these days along with chipotle mayo.  It's all good.  Better fresh.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2006, 11:16:12 pm »
I like wasabi mayo.  They sell it in grocery stores these days along with chipotle mayo.  It's all good.  Better fresh.

Hell, I can't find the chipotle mayo, either. And I've been looking!! In gourmetish grocery stores. My son will hardly eat a sandwich unless it has chipotle mayo AND pepper cheese AND sliced jalapenos, with maybe some banana peppers and pepperoni thrown in for extra flavor. He's 11. By the time he's 30, he's going to have to just apply a blowtorch to his tongue.

I will try Whole Foods. (For wasabi, I always just add wasabi powder to regular mayo -- is it better if it's premixed?)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2006, 11:26:18 pm »
The place where U can find everything U really want (yes everything!!) is the Oriental grocery store. Do not be put off by the foreign looking signs at the windows--go right in and look at, ravage, enjoy everything you see and indulge yrself--it's all good, and it's very reasonably priced. And they usually accept credit cards. It's a fantastic place--I love going there!!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2006, 02:39:23 am »
I saw  a package of fish taco mix once. I guess  it was some sort of topping to put on the fish taco.

I was scared of it. I don't like fish. Nope! I am willing to try just about anything, but fish tacos sound really disgusting to me.

I have tasted squid though. It was pretty good! I also tasted raw herring and onions (nieuwe haring) once in The Netherlands. It was not so good.

I just really don't like fish. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:12:25 am by David925 »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2006, 03:09:06 am »
Yes, I love 'em AND there is a cheap good chain here in Seattle that specializes in 'em that is called TACO DEL MAR.  As ptannen says in that thread, BBM is everywhere.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2006, 04:07:28 am »
I'm curious though. What kind of fish do they put on these tacos? Is it tuna? That MIGHT not be too bad.

It just doesn't sound very good to me.  It sounds like something along the lines of pickles and honey, or ketchup and strawberries. It just doesn't sound good.

If anyone has a recipe for it, I may give it a shot.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.  :P

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2006, 10:12:58 am »
I went to a Mexican restaurant Friday night, and dutifully ordered fish tacos (I now consider this a Brokie obligation, if there's no elk on the menu). This was a merely OK version. The fish tasted like fish sticks. Still, not bad. Came with a side of beans.

gattaca

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 10:54:20 am »
I'm curious though. What kind of fish do they put on these tacos? Is it tuna? That MIGHT not be too bad.

It could certainly be tuna, but it would have to be fresh-caught (or just off the boats). Canned tuna would be unthinkable.  :-X

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 11:37:11 pm »
These fish tacos make me think about something else I find a little scary. Fish pizza. They are selling it here in Indianapolis now (for all I know, they may have been selling it here for years). But I think it sounds really strange. Of course people do order pizzas with anchovies (I am NOT one of those people), but somehow, I don't think they are talking about anchovies when they sell fish pizza.

Fish tacos. Fish pizza. What IS the world coming to? I guess I am just an inexperienced midwestern boy. Steak and baked potato. Hamburger and french fries. We are meat and potatoes people here in Indiana.

But fish tacos and pizza. I just don't know about that. And somebody said they served beans with the fish taco? Oh wow! Fish and beans?

I'll stick with my hamburger and fries!! :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:53 pm »
I would -- and do -- order fish tacos, fish with beans, pizza with anchovies. But I think I would draw the line at fish pizza (though I have had pretty good pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie! -- classic yuppie fare, I know).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 01:02:51 am »
I would -- and do -- order fish tacos, fish with beans, pizza with anchovies. But I think I would draw the line at fish pizza (though I have had pretty good pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie! -- classic yuppie fare, I know).

Actually pizza with shrimp, asparagus and brie does sound pretty good. As long as it has asparagus tips... I don't really like the stems.

I'm glad you agree with me on the fish pizza. It's selling like crazy here, I guess. Maybe Hoosiers are beginning to wean themselves from serloin steaks! There is a pizza place near me that sells 101 different types of pizzas. This is one of the places in town where you can buy the fish pizza.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 02:02:11 pm »
Pizza comes from Naples which is a seaside city, so fish pizza sounds right to me. How about calling it pizza de pesce? Does that grab you? Actually, what are you doing eating pizza at all if you're in Indiana? Isn't that the wonderful place where Breaking Away was filmed with (avert the eyes) Dennis Quaid? I remember the line from that movie where the Dad forbids "ini" food from being served in his house. I may have Indiana mixed up with Illinois--I'll bet that's never happened before.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2006, 04:18:52 pm »
Pizza comes from Naples which is a seaside city, so fish pizza sounds right to me. How about calling it pizza de pesce? Does that grab you? Actually, what are you doing eating pizza at all if you're in Indiana? Isn't that the wonderful place where Breaking Away was filmed with (avert the eyes) Dennis Quaid? I remember the line from that movie where the Dad forbids "ini" food from being served in his house. I may have Indiana mixed up with Illinois--I'll bet that's never happened before.

Pizza de pesce? That sounds like a good name to me! I don't know how it would play out with my fellow Indianians though. They will probably continue to call it fish pizza! ;)

Yes, "Breaking Away" was filmed in and took place in Indiana... more accurately, Bloomington Indiana (Home of IU); about 50 miles down the road from  me. Yes, there are some "non-ini eating Hoosiers" (does that make sense?), but I am not one of them. I am willing to try just about anything......except fish pizza and fish tacos!  :P

Giancarlo

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2006, 08:59:16 pm »

Well what was more famous from seaside italian cities was the seafood spaghetti... Spaghetti al mare

It includes all sorts of things.. including clams, oysters, calamari... and sometimes crab...

But of course my favorite seafood dish isn't that.. but paella (it includes seafood and sometimes chicken)...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:26 pm »
But of course my favorite seafood dish isn't that.. but paella (it includes seafood and sometimes chicken)...

Oh, now I know all about Paella. I had paella several times when I was in Marbella, Spain. It is delicious!

Giancarlo

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2006, 10:08:22 pm »
Oh, now I know all about Paella. I had paella several times when I was in Marbella, Spain. It is delicious!

My mom makes it the best... she also knows how to make spanish omelette really well...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2006, 10:26:49 pm »
Well what was more famous from seaside italian cities was the seafood spaghetti... Spaghetti al mare

It includes all sorts of things.. including clams, oysters, calamari... and sometimes crab...

My mouth is just watering!!!  YUMMY!!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2006, 12:00:20 am »
My mouth is just watering!!!  YUMMY!!!!

Yeah, mine is too! That paella really is good.  I always thought Spanish food was spicy. When I was in Spain  though, it wasn't nearly as spicy as I  thought it would be... although I do LOVE  spicy food. The hotter the better!!!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006, 01:43:11 am »
Yeah, mine is too! That paella really is good.  I always thought Spanish food was spicy. When I was in Spain  though, it wasn't nearly as spicy as I  thought it would be... although I do LOVE  spicy food. The hotter the better!!!

I also love a good Cioppino.  Is that Italian or just the name they thought up for it in San Francisco (it's a seafood soup).

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2006, 01:46:09 am »
I also love a good Cioppino.  Is that Italian or just the name they thought up for it in San Francisco (it's a seafood soup).

Delalluvia -  I  have never had Cioppino. I love seafood soup though. I don't really like fish all that much, but I love clam chowder.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2006, 03:56:05 am »
Giancarlo -

I sure wish your mom lived closer to me. I bet she is a really good cook. You are making me hungry for some good Spanish cuisine!

And you are posting those pictures too... that just adds to the torment!! That food really looks good.

I miss Spain!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2006, 06:55:02 am »
I have modified the title of this poll to accommodate the delicious tangent that it is veering off into. I'm thinking maybe we should plan a mini-Brokie get together in the Chicago area to gorge on paella. I will have to ask my Chicago Brokie friends Yaadpyar and latjoreme to work on identifying the proper Spanish dining establishment. Also, I'm dreaming of a wonderful dinner I had once in, of all places, Winnemucca Nevada at a lovely Basque restaurant. Can't say as I had any fish, but the lamb was delectable. That might make a good rendezvous place too, it certainly is way out in the middle of nowhere.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 07:02:32 am by Front-Ranger »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2006, 08:16:48 am »
I'm thinking maybe we should plan a mini-Brokie get together in the Chicago area to gorge on paella. I will have to ask my Chicago Brokie friends Yaadpyar and latjoreme to work on identifying the proper Spanish dining establishment.

Good plan!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 06:56:26 pm »
I have modified the title of this poll to accommodate the delicious tangent that it is veering off into.

Front Ranger: This is probably my fault. I started talking about fish pizza. Suddenly the tread started going in different directions.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 07:19:37 pm »
That's fine with me if it morphs into something else. I'm learning things...and I'm going to go home and make cioppino toniite! Thanks for inspiring me!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 07:27:06 pm »
That's fine with me if it morphs into something else. I'm learning things...and I'm going to go home and make cioppino toniite! Thanks for inspiring me!!

Well, if anything else, it has certainly sparked my curiosity in fish tacos. I might just have to try one.... someday.

I'm going to skip the fish pizza though. :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2006, 10:56:09 pm »
I discussed it with Cory, and we are going to try fish tacos this weekend. :-\

If I survive it, I'll let you all know how it went. :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29:48 am »
I discussed it with Cory, and we are going to try fish tacos this weekend. :-\

If I survive it, I'll let you all know how it went. :)

Good luck, David! Hope you enjoy them. Let us know!

And if you do, your next assignment is the pizza.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2006, 03:11:55 am »
Good luck, David! Hope you enjoy them. Let us know!

And if you do, your next assignment is the pizza.

hehe! That might be an awfully tough assignment. We'll see how the fish tacos go down first. :D

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2006, 11:36:48 am »
I would just like to offer my kudos to Front-Ranger and everyone else who has posted here.  I am so impressed that so much mileage could be gotten from a poll about fish tacos.  Truly, I personallly had no idea that so many folks could talk so long about so little.

In the spirit of all things BetterMost and Brokeback, congratulations to each and everyone of you.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2006, 11:46:29 am »
I am so impressed that so much mileage could be gotten from a poll about fish tacos.  Truly, I personallly had no idea that so many folks could talk so long about so little.

Spoken like a true vegetarian!  ;)  :-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2006, 06:38:29 pm »
I would just like to offer my kudos to Front-Ranger and everyone else who has posted here.  I am so impressed that so much mileage could be gotten from a poll about fish tacos.  Truly, I personallly had no idea that so many folks could talk so long about so little.

In the spirit of all things BetterMost and Brokeback, congratulations to each and everyone of you.

Well thank you YaadPyar! But I must confess that "making small talk" is a Hoosier trait. Or at least this is what I have always been told. But still, it is a testament to the people here! It is easy to talk about so little when everyone is so friendly. I never dreamed I would be posting messages about a fish taco. But this thread has inspired me to try one this weekend. So in  a way, you could  say it is a "miraculous" thread, because I don't even like fish. And yet, this weekend, Cory and I will be eating fish tacos. What are you all doing to me?? ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2006, 07:00:22 pm »
Look out Celeste, David, Katherine, and everyone...my poll on Ennis's stone biscuits comes next!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:32 pm »
Look out Celeste, David, Katherine, and everyone...my poll on Ennis's stone biscuits comes next!!

After the fish tacos on Saturday, stone biscuits actually might taste good! ;)

I'm scared of dinner tomorrow night... :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 10:34:59 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:49 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!

I didn't even see that recipe! Uh-oh! Our fish tacos weren't anything like that! ???

Well, I am going to copy down that recipe and use it next weekend.

Even though I didn't use that recipe, can I still say I've had fish tacos now, or no?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:20 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 11:21:09 pm »
Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Hehe. I love Dr. Seuss. But I wonder if he ever ate a fish taco? Green eggs and ham maybe. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:03 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:39 pm »
That sounds perfect. You are the master. And maybe a sprinkling of cilantro?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2006, 12:21:11 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!

Thanks Front-Ranger, I am  going to make fish tacos again this weekend, and I WILL do it correctly this time! :)

And I don't even like fish. NOBODY will EVER talk me into eating Nieuwe Haring again though. The tail was sticking out of my mouth! :P They didn't cut it up. I guess you have to ask them to do it first. :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:28:57 am by David925 »

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2006, 12:26:09 am »
Fish tacos...that sounds interesting. Never heard of them before, though. I'd have to try that sometime...hope they'll taste good.  :laugh:
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2006, 08:36:54 pm »
Midnight -

They are actually pretty good. And I don't particularly like fish either. There is a recipe for them somewhere in this thread. I didn't see it until after we made the fish tacos last week. So we are going to make them again using the recipe.

But now Cory wants to try the fish pizza. Nope!

I told him he can go ahead and order a fish pizza, but not that half and half deal. I don't want any little fishies accidently "swimming" over to my side of the pizza.  :P

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:03 pm »
There was a chic walking down the street the other day, talking way too loudly on her cell phone, and the only part I caught was "and then we had fish tacos for dinner."  And I thought of y'all immediately of course!

;D
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2006, 09:57:16 pm »
There was a chic walking down the street the other day, talking way too loudly on her cell phone, and the only part I caught was "and then we had fish tacos for dinner."  And I thought of y'all immediately of course!

;D

Thanks for thinking about us, I think! :D

I'm always amazed at what I can hear when I listen to somebody talking on their cell phone. Often they will go into their own little world and become totally oblivious to anything or anyone around them. And they can say some pretty interesting things! I have yet to hear someone talk about a fish taco though. I wonder if she liked the fish taco?

Actually the fish taco was pretty good. Much better than I  had expected.

There are a few other weird ones I have tried too:

Peanut butter and honey.

Popcorn and sugar (I tried this for the first time in Holland. Many people there eat their popcorn with sugar instead of butter and salt. It's really good!)

French fries and mayonnaise (another one I learned in Europe... also very good!)

Ice cream and cookies all smashed up together and topped with cool whip! Yum!

Potato chips and mustard.

Ham and honey.

There are a few others but I am too embarrassed to mention them! ;)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2006, 10:00:19 pm »
Instead of mayonnaise or tartar or hot sauce, mash up some cilantro and jalapeno or serrano peppers in ranch dressing and try it on the fish.

Yummy/wierd combinations that are worth trying:

ranch dressing and pizza
garlic butter and pizza
honey poured on fried chicken strips

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.  Good eatin'.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2006, 10:36:42 pm »
Instead of mayonnaise or tartar or hot sauce, mash up some cilantro and jalapeno or serrano peppers in ranch dressing and try it on the fish.

Yummy/wierd combinations that are worth trying:

ranch dressing and pizza
garlic butter and pizza
honey poured on fried chicken strips

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.  Good eatin'.  :)

Ohhhh! All of those sound good; especially the honey and fried chicken strips. I am definately going to try that one! :)

As a matter of fact, I am going to try them tomorrow! We have a Formula One race here this weekend and I have some out of town friends staying at my house. I'll try the Fried Chicken and Honey out on them tomorrow when they get back from the track!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2006, 05:07:12 am »
I'm so NOT picky about any food, really, but I just can't eat fish. Can't stand any of it. *yucky*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2006, 11:56:44 pm »
I'm so NOT picky about any food, really, but I just can't eat fish. Can't stand any of it. *yucky*

I don't really like fish either. I used Catfish when I made the fish tacos. Actually, it tasted a little bit like fried chicken.

It wasn't all that bad. But now I am being pressured into a fish pizza. I think not. :P

Enough is enough, ya know?

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2006, 09:37:31 pm »

I'm kind of opposite I guess. I love fish, especially catfish and mahi mahi and I'm a big seafood eater!! Mmmmm, I can just smell it right now.  :laugh:
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2006, 09:41:02 pm »
I'm kind of opposite I guess. I love fish, especially catfish and mahi mahi and I'm a big seafood eater!! Mmmmm, I can just smell it right now.  :laugh:

Isn't mahi mahi like...... um...... (gulp!)..... dolphin? Like Flipper?

Remember, I live in the heartland, and I don't know a lot about things like this! ???

Offline Andrew

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2006, 10:18:26 pm »
Mahi mahi is a fish called 'dolphin' or 'dolphin fish', not the mammal called dolphin which is protected by law, David.

I spent the first twenty years of my life in Indianapolis and I remember it wasn't till after I moved to nearer the ocean (first Portland Oregon, where I found out about fresh Pacific salmon, now Boston) that I got enthusiastic about fish. 

For now, it's enough if you enjoy Schubert's trout quintet...(since I see from some of your earlier posts that you could play almost all the parts)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2006, 10:27:06 pm »
Mahi mahi is a fish called 'dolphin' or 'dolphin fish', not the mammal called dolphin which is protected by law, David.

I spent the first twenty years of my life in Indianapolis and I remember it wasn't till after I moved to nearer the ocean (first Portland Oregon, where I found out about fresh Pacific salmon, now Boston) that I got enthusiastic about fish. 

For now, it's enough if you enjoy Schubert's trout quintet...(since I see from some of your earlier posts that you could play almost all the parts)

Thanks for the explanation Andrew.  :)

Yes, I love Schubert. I can play some of the parts, but not at the same time! :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2006, 03:23:41 pm »
Can we have a report on the condiment ketchup taste test pleaz??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2006, 08:35:16 pm »
Can we have a report on the condiment ketchup taste test pleaz??

Umm........hmmmmm...........

what?

Are we to start using ketchup on the fish tacos now?  ???

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2006, 03:06:39 pm »
I don't really like fish either. I used Catfish when I made the fish tacos. Actually, it tasted a little bit like fried chicken.

I'm with ya there.  If I'm eating fish, it can't taste like fish at all so catfish is about all I can handle.  It does taste a little like chicken.  Oh, salmon isn't bad either.

If it smells like a fish or tastes like a fish, it's not going in my tummy!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2006, 09:40:33 pm »
If it smells like a fish or tastes like a fish, it's not going in my tummy!

The smell is the worst as far as I'm concerned. It lingers in the house for days. I can't ever seem to get rid of it. Awful!

And then their little fish bones and fins sit in the trash can rotting until the truck comes by and takes it away.

BBBLLAAAGGGCCHHH!!!!! :P

Yucky!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2006, 03:29:43 pm »
Do what the natives did and plant the fish bones, then plant some corn on top of it. (I sometimes package up the bones and freeze them until trash day. Or, you could ask your fishmonger to "dress" the fish for you so there are no leftovers.) BTW, I made fish tacos with cod last night. The cod is a firmer fish than catfish and doesn't fall apart so easily. The resulting taco tastes the same though--heavenly!! I had some wasabi horseradish mayonnaise with it, and with a toast to Katherine, a generous sprinkle of chopped cilantro.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2006, 08:15:21 pm »
Do what the natives did and plant the fish bones, then plant some corn on top of it. (I sometimes package up the bones and freeze them until trash day. Or, you could ask your fishmonger to "dress" the fish for you so there are no leftovers.)

Thanks for the suggestion. Burying the fish bones and fins wouldn't work at my house. My dog Cody would dig them up, probably eat them (or at least try to) and bring the rest into the house and deposit them on my lap. :P

I could ask the fishmonger to remove everything from the fish. I never thought of that. Cory (my boyfriend) likes fish, and sometimes he will bring fish home from the grocery store. The WHOLE fish. Of course he leaves it up to me to cut off the heads and clean them. Maybe I better buy the fish from now on! :)

Like I said, I really don't like fish... but Cory does.

mvansand76

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2006, 06:26:07 am »
Is this the famous fish taco polling place?

I HATE fish, I cannot STAND fish, I don't LIKE fish...

>:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2006, 10:00:09 pm »
Is this the famous fish taco polling place?

I HATE fish, I cannot STAND fish, I don't LIKE fish...

>:(

You're in good company! Apparently a few of us here don't like it either... including me.   :P  Yuck.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2006, 10:18:46 pm »
We are here to introduce U to the wonderful world of fish. Don't be frightened...come with me. You can do this. I'm from Wichita Kansas and I have made the journey and arrived at the destination... Take my hand...open wide...!!!

mvansand76

« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2006, 07:24:22 am »
We are here to introduce U to the wonderful world of fish. Don't be frightened...come with me. You can do this. I'm from Wichita Kansas and I have made the journey and arrived at the destination... Take my hand...open wide...!!!

But, I am soooo scared... :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2006, 02:38:32 pm »
But, I am soooo scared... :o

Melissa - I'm scared too.

We'll let Front-Ranger lead us and I'll make sure nothing hurts you.  :)

We can do it Melissa.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2006, 02:58:40 pm »
So, how are U two doing in your fish odyssey? I imagine you're eating raw sea urchin by now! I have enjoyed fish tacos several times over the summer, meaning to leave a note here each time but just didn't get around to it. About a week ago I served fish tacos and my husband gave me a sharp look and said "I KNOW how much you love them." (He must have been surfing my posts here!) I used carp, striped bass, and cod with equally delicious results.

Then, I had fish tacos with Mel when I visited her recently. Those were very delicious too, a little different with tomatillo salsa and blue corn tortillas. It was a wonderful treat in a whole weekend of treats!!

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
I loooooove fish and eat tons of it (have some most days). I have also had tacos (though not as often) and like those too. So I have extensive experience of them as seperate food entities, but not as a glorious whole. I don't think we get them in the UK :(. I'm trying to imagine them, but can't reconcile a crunchy texture with a fishy taste. In short, I have not the faintest idea what y'all are talking about... ;)
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2006, 09:16:37 pm »
I sense a new convert in the works! There is a link to a great recipe in the first few posts! try it!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2006, 09:32:10 pm »
So, how are U two doing in your fish odyssey? I imagine you're eating raw sea urchin by now!

Who? Me and Melissa?

I remember my Dutch grandfather telling me that Dutch people love to eat fish. And like a good Dutchman, Grandpa ate fish all the time. He especially loved gerookte paling (smoked eel on toast), nieuwe haring (salted herring) which he ate by holding the fish by its tail and dropping it in his mouth, haringsla (salted herring salad) and stokvisschotel (stockfish stew).

Did I spell those correctly, Melissa?

I must not be a very good Dutchman though because I don't like fish at all. My ex boyfriend and I worked up the nerve a few months ago to try fish tacos, and I thought they tasted pretty good until I was told we didn't make them correctly and I haven't tried them since.

I certainly can't speak for Melissa, but she has assured me several times that she does not like fish either. So, I doubt she has tried a fish taco, and I would bet the king's ransom she has yet to sit down to an "urchin dinner".

So, I think both Melissa and I have failed miserably with our fish odyssey, Front Ranger.  ;)

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2006, 12:32:24 pm »
Hmmm... I think I may have misunderstood what 'tacos' are here  :-\. I had a look at the link and these look like what we call plain old tortillas here in the UK. What we call 'tacos' are those crispy curvy shells you put beef chilli, shredded lettuce and salsa in. Well, at least that's what we do over here, but then Britain ain't exactly renowned for its culinary finesse  ::). The recipe looks very tempting. If these are fish tacos then I think I'd definitely like them  :D.

I'm having sea bass for dinner tonight. Yummy. :P

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2006, 12:58:44 pm »
Nicky~

The only fish i will eat is haddock, but only after it's breaded and deep fried to a golden brown and served with alot of lemon and tarter sauce. Although I occasionaly like salmon grilled on the grill with lemon and butter.

now as far as seafood, thats another story...lobster, shrimp, fried clams, scallops ,crab, you name it I'm there!

never heard of a fish taco. Doesn't sound good to me at all!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2006, 10:11:21 pm »
David if you enjoyed the fish tacos, then that is good enough for me. Keep preparing them the same way and enjoying them! Congratulations, you're a fish taco afficianado!!

I got some from Wahoo's Fish Taco Place today and it made having to go to work on a weekend ever so much more bearable!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2006, 10:22:03 pm »
David if you enjoyed the fish tacos, then that is good enough for me. Keep preparing them the same way and enjoying them! Congratulations, you're a fish taco afficianado!!

I got some from Wahoo's Fish Taco Place today and it made having to go to work on a weekend ever so much more bearable!!

I wonder if Joe's Crab Shack sells fish tacos?

We don't have Wahoo's Fish Taco Place here in Indianapolis. In fact I have never heard of it before in my life.

Now that I think about it, I can't even remember how I made those fish tacos.

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2006, 04:15:30 pm »
I transposed the choice "never had...." and pressed enter just as I realized I goofed.  I have had a fish taco, just once, and didn't like it.  They are still the big rage in San Diego.  As for fish in general, love catfish, shark and tuna.  Being from the south, catfish, hush puppies and cole slaw is required eating at least 2 times a week; but I live in S.D. now, and no longer crave it, but still enjoy it when I can. I discovered shark a few years ago when it first hit the markets, and when I told my friend I had bought some he thought I was putting him on....he believed we were supposed to watch the sharks, not eat them.  (Oh, my, that just slipped out).  I don't eat nearly as much fish as I should.  Talapia has become a big seller in the small Mexican market I go to each week, and tried once to fry it, but it was a disaster.  So I'm on the lookout for a nice simple recipe using talapia, and hope for better results....Doug

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2006, 04:24:53 pm »
I've always wondered what shark tastes like (not that I would ever try it). I don't like fish.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2006, 05:28:37 pm »
For a person who doesn't like fish, you sure show up here a lot, David! But that's okay, I would be lonely here without U!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2006, 07:15:54 pm »
For a person who doesn't like fish, you sure show up here a lot, David! But that's okay, I would be lonely here without U!

Well, I hate fish, but I love the people here.

Who would have ever thought a thread about fish would be so interesting?

horo35

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2006, 12:25:11 am »
Mmm..fish tacos.  Sound rather horrid! lol not sure if I'd like those....but i'd never really know for sure since I have never tried em.  A good fish dish is gefilte.  It's fish mixed in with matza, boiled and usually served cold with red horseradish.  Or pickled herring in wine sauce and onions..good on crackers.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2006, 12:51:50 am »
Mmm..fish tacos.  Sound rather horrid! lol not sure if I'd like those....but i'd never really know for sure since I have never tried em.  A good fish dish is gefilte.  It's fish mixed in with matza, boiled and usually served cold with red horseradish.  Or pickled herring in wine sauce and onions..good on crackers.

But what is it though? Are they like sardines? Are they filleted first? I have heard of gefilte before. Somebody told me they were salty. Do you find them salty?

Well, I've tried the fish tacos, I guess I will have to try gefilte fish next.

horo35

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2006, 01:10:16 am »
But what is it though? Are they like sardines? Are they filleted first? I have heard of gefilte before. Somebody told me they were salty. Do you find them salty?

Well, I've tried the fish tacos, I guess I will have to try gefilte fish next.
Gefllte fish is usually used with a fish or multiple kinds of fish that are kosher (yes it's a Jewish dish), fillited, chopped up very fine and pressed/mixed into a large mass with matzah and boiled. They are not salty although one can put a bit of spices in with the mixture if they want.   Perhaps Jake has tried them..he is after all part Jewish.   ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2006, 01:15:31 am »
Gefllte fish is usually used with a fish or multiple kinds of fish that are kosher (yes it's a Jewish dish), fillited, chopped up very fine and pressed/mixed into a large mass with matzah and boiled. They are not salty although one can put a bit of spices in with the mixture if they want.   Perhaps Jake has tried them..he is after all part Jewish.   ;)

That doesn't sound bad at all.  :D

Especially if they are chopped up very fine. I'll have to give it a try.

I remember watching my Dutch grandfather swallow fish whole when I was a kid. He made me try one when we were in Holland.

:P :P

You know what? Maybe that is why I don't like fish anymore. That was really awful.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2006, 03:57:23 am »

I just read the last 5 pages in one sitting and that's what I was thinking!  :)

Did I already write in this thread, way back, that there is a small chain of very good little joints here in Seattle called Taco Del Mar, and their specialty is fish tacos?  The year we have our gathering in Seattle, we'll all go.  And David can order the chicken tacos, and Melissa can order the beef. :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2006, 06:45:14 am »
...a small chain of very good little joints here in Seattle called Taco Del Mar, and their specialty is fish tacos?  The year we have our gathering in Seattle, we'll all go.  And David can order the chicken tacos, and Melissa can order the beef. :)

Count me in!!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2006, 11:24:05 am »
Me too! And, by the way, I'm planning to serve trout at the Brokeback BBQ in 2007 in Estes Park, Colorado, and all the taco fixins will be there too! There will also be elk, buffalo, boar, frog legs, alligator, bratwurst, jalapeno poppers...and cherry cake.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2006, 06:18:24 pm »
Okay, the Brokeback BBQ 2007 site is live at

http://brokeback2007.com

and there's a menu for the BBQ, with all the fixin's for fish tacos!! What you've all been waiting for!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2007, 01:58:29 am »
bump  :D

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:30 am »
What fish do y'all think would go best in a fish Taco?

I'm thinking fresh tuna steak would be good! Nice firm texture and a distinctive enough flavour to hold it's own with the other ingredients. Has to be fresh though - none of that tinned rubbish! ;D

Yes please...!!  :D

No thanks...!!  :-X

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 09:24:43 am by saucycobblers »

mvansand76

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2007, 11:18:28 am »
I have been a vegeterian now for more than a year because I read a few articles on how animals are treated in the bio-industry and it made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't do it anymore.

But now I have had people ask me if I eat fish instead of meat, and I always tell them no because I don't like fish.

A few weeks ago I saw a documentary about how fishing companies destroy the seas and oceans by overfishing and using large drag nets that sweep the whole ocean floor and destroy all vegetation and life on it. If they go on like this we will have more and more square kilometers of dead oceans.

Most of the companies that produce fish products use these companies. There is now one company in Holland that at least for their fish sticks uses companies that do not work with drag nets and they call their fish sticks "ocean friendly".

Have you seen products in your country with this claim?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2007, 11:42:12 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden  like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

These fish tacos are also extremely good with tofu, and you can get firm tofu that can be cut into strips and broiled or fried, seasoned, and sprinkled with sesame seeds, which is very delicious!!

Personally, I eat all kinds of meat and plant foods, with reverence, and only what I need. I love animals, but I love plants just as much!!

mvansand76

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2007, 11:52:02 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden  like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

These fish tacos are also extremely good with tofu, and you can get firm tofu that can be cut into strips and broiled or fried, seasoned, and sprinkled with sesame seeds, which is very delicious!!

Personally, I eat all kinds of meat and plant foods, with reverence, and only what I need. I love animals, but I love plants just as much!!

Oh I would love to get your recipe for the tofu tacos! It's hard to find the really firm tofu here in Holland, it's all so soggy!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2007, 12:26:17 pm »
Oh I would love to get your recipe for the tofu tacos! It's hard to find the really firm tofu here in Holland, it's all so soggy!

That reminds me of something. Did you ever see the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Marie makes a tofu turkey? It's called "No Fat". It is hysterical!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2007, 04:25:44 pm »
No I didn't see that...is it on youtube, LOL? To make firm tofu, you can always drain and squeeze it and leave it in a cheesecloth bag hanging over the sink overnight...works like a charm!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2007, 01:06:57 am »
Yes, Melissa, there are getting to be more places where you can buy fish that are sustainably grown and caught. Personally, I shop for fish for my fish tacos in an Oriental grocery store and usually buy a fish that is swimming in a tank. After the fishmonger kills and dresses it to my directions, I take the whole thing home and I use the fillets for the tacos and the rest for fish stock. I even sometimes bury the fish heads and tails in my garden   like the Native Americans did and plant corn or squash!

That is the best fertilizer you can use. My Mother did this same thing after returning from the fishmonger. If I remember correctly, she and Dad would sometimes compost some of the fish heads along with cow excrement. It sounds disgusting, and actually it was. But after they tilled it into the garden, we would end up with HUGE tomatoes; some as large as soft balls. All the fruits and vegetables were very large and healthy. Gosh, now I'm in the mood to plant a garden. Too bad there's so much snow outside right now.  :(

I know this sounds kind of weird, but I always thank the animal before I consume it. It gave its life so I could live. But I'm getting to be more and more like Melissa, I think. I'm beginning to eat much more vegetables and fruit, and less meat.

mvansand76

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:48 am »
That is the best fertilizer you can use. My Mother did this same thing after returning from the fishmonger. If I remember correctly, she and Dad would sometimes compost some of the fish heads along with cow excrement. It sounds disgusting, and actually it was. But after they tilled it into the garden, we would end up with HUGE tomatoes; some as large as soft balls. All the fruits and vegetables were very large and healthy. Gosh, now I'm in the mood to plant a garden. Too bad there's so much snow outside right now.  :(

I know this sounds kind of weird, but I always thank the animal before I consume it. It gave its life so I could live. But I'm getting to be more and more like Melissa, I think. I'm beginning to eat much more vegetables and fruit, and less meat.

Sometimes I can't believe how much better I feel now that I eat almost no meat and more fruit and vegetables, I have lost almost 15 pounds and I feel so much more energized (is that the word). If I do end up eating meat, then I feel it immediately!

That sounds really interesting about the fish heads in the compost! Guess you can start that vegetable garden once the snow clears huh?

I tried to make Turkish pizzas last night, the topping (minced meat, you can use the tofu kind, red onions, spring onions, blanched tomatoes and parsley) I was able to make, but the base didn't come out the way it should. When it is done right, you can roll it up and dip it in mayo/yoghurt/chives/parsley sauce! Yummy!

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:33 am »

I've found myself thinking harder and harder about where I spend my grocery money as the years have gone by. I can't remember the last time I bought meat - I usually only have it if someone else cooks it for me at a dinner party! The exception to this is bacon - I do love a good bacon sandwich  :P - but I buy good quality, organic bacon that is farmed locally. I also get all my fruit and veg from a local organic farmer who does a great box delivery scheme. The beauty of this is that you only eat produce when it's in season and this makes your diet more varied and forces you to become more adventurous as a cook (e.g. What the hell am I going to do with this marrow??). A friend of mine who is an excellent vegetarian cook is always getting phone calls from me asking how the hell to cook a particular vegetable! It feels good to know that at least some of your money is supporting local famers rather than supermarket corporations.

I absolutely could not give up fish though!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:01:21 pm by saucycobblers »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2007, 05:49:35 pm »
What's a marrow?? Saucy, tuna would be very good in a fish taco, as is marlin. I like striped bass, and cod is surprisingly good too. I also love catfish, although it is a bit crumbly. And for all you vegetarians, tofu is great in fish tacos!

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:13 pm »
What's a marrow?? Saucy, tuna would be very good in a fish taco, as is marlin. I like striped bass, and cod is surprisingly good too. I also love catfish, although it is a bit crumbly. And for all you vegetarians, tofu is great in fish tacos!

I like the sound of marlin and catfish but haven't tried either as i've no proper fishmonger nearby and have to rely on the bloody supermarket!

FYI, this is a marrow - it's from the same vegetable family as pumpkins and courgettes/zucchinis. Very tasty when cooked in the right way (i.e. when my veggie cook friend does it! :P)

The marrow's on the left...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2007, 06:02:51 pm »
It's funny what I can find down in the basement if I look hard enough.  :)

Remember this great poll by Lee (Front-Ranger)? We all had a lot of fun with this poll last year. I thought I would ressurect it because we now have some new members who might have not seen it yet.

So here it is again: Lee's infamous "Who Loves Fish" poll!

Enjoy!!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2007, 06:07:02 pm »
I like the sound of marlin and catfish but haven't tried either as i've no proper fishmonger nearby and have to rely on the bloody supermarket!

FYI, this is a marrow - it's from the same vegetable family as pumpkins and courgettes/zucchinis. Very tasty when cooked in the right way (i.e. when my veggie cook friend does it! :P)

The marrow's on the left...

Nicky! Please come back to us!!!

We miss you and your awesome sense of humor around here!!!  :'(

:-*  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2007, 08:05:30 pm »
I second that!!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2007, 10:01:24 pm »
I am not really new here anymore, (at least I don't think I am) but I have never seen this before.

I figured I would jump in.

The only food that was a living animal that I love is smoked salmon, or lox from where I come from.  I love it.  But I decided that if I was to be a real vegatarian it is sort of hypocritical to keep on eating that while I don't eat any other meat or fish, so I haven't had any in around ten years.  It wouldn't be right to the poor salmon.  But I it was my absolute favorite for a long time.  Don't care much for any other fish, so I don't really miss eating them.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2007, 04:50:22 pm »
I am not really new here anymore, (at least I don't think I am) but I have never seen this before.

I figured I would jump in.

The only food that was a living animal that I love is smoked salmon, or lox from where I come from.  I love it.  But I decided that if I was to be a real vegatarian it is sort of hypocritical to keep on eating that while I don't eat any other meat or fish, so I haven't had any in around ten years.  It wouldn't be right to the poor salmon.  But I it was my absolute favorite for a long time.  Don't care much for any other fish, so I don't really miss eating them.

I'm mostly a vegatarian too Marleen. I do sometimes fry up a batch of chicken for friends and family... or a hamburger. I'm not a big fan of fish though. I do like shrimp and lobster tails! But I don't like any animals with fins!  :P

And no, you're not a newbie anymore Marleen! You're a veteran Bettermostian now!  :D

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:38 pm »
Thanks David, for making it official. ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2007, 04:45:18 pm »
I just found out that jpwagoneer is gonna make fish tacos for me tomorrow!! I think I will fast until then! Can't wait! I will report back about tasting true fish tacos for the first time, cooked by a San Diegan!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2007, 12:14:13 am »
I just found out that jpwagoneer is gonna make fish tacos for me tomorrow!! I think I will fast until then! Can't wait! I will report back about tasting true fish tacos for the first time, cooked by a San Diegan!!

Ohhh!  :P  Ahhh!  :P Yummy!  :P

Those fish tacos we made tasted okay, but then someone here told me we didn't make them correctly!  :laugh:

I don't like fish.  :P

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:20 am »
Thanks David, for making it official. ;D

you are almost in the 1000 post club my dear...tomorrow no doubt....and a premature congratulations...

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2007, 01:31:45 am »
       you are almost in the 1000 post club my dear...tomorrow no doubt....and a premature congratulations...

She's right Marleen. You are almost at 1000 posts!!!

An Early Congratulations Marleen!!!

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

And.........

Congratulations Janice On Your 1000th Post!!

Both of you are AWESOME!!!!!   :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2007, 04:35:59 am »
She's right Marleen. You are almost at 1000 posts!!!

An Early Congratulations Marleen!!!

And.........

Congratulations Janice On Your 1000th Post!!

Both of you are AWESOME!!!!!   :)

I second that!!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2007, 05:20:45 pm »
Wow, thank you David and Janice and Lee,

and I didn't even do it yet. :D

And I think you're all really awesome!!! ;D

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:17 pm »
1.  Marrow..a vegggie?  I have never heard of it.  The marrow I know about is the pasty stuff within bones, always referred to as "bone marrow".

2.  David..since you once posted that you do not like fish, but made a positive response to a post about gefiltefish, I was wondering if you have tried it yet? And if you have tried other fish..shark, halibut (2 good ones).

3.  Melissa...in the U.S. a lot of the fish we consume is raised in hatcheries specifically for human consumption.  And, you usually can get that or ocean grown in any good fish market or supermarket. As for animals, we also raise them for slaughter, and these animals are treated much better.

I have not eaten red meat in about 25 years, and a few months after I stopped eating it, health problems I was experiencing ceased to exist.  My doctor was baffled until I explained my new diet.  I still eat chicken, pork (the white meats) and lots of veggies that I never thought I would touch in a million years! (Thanks to all the cooking shows I watch on TV)...Doug

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2007, 11:04:25 pm »
Doug! Long time no read! Nice to see you around.  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2007, 03:59:31 pm »
Is a fish taco something like a pink taco? 

Yeah, I like Abe Vigoda.  He seems like a nice man. 

When I was growing up in Tennessee, my experience of fish was fried catfish (gag!) or Mrs. Paul's fish sticks (yuck!) or canned salmon (barf!).   I grew up with an aversion to fish. 

When I went off to college, a gal pal of mine grilled some fish one night.  I didn't want to be rude and tell her I didn't want no stinkin' fish, so I ate it.  Much to my surprise and delight, I loved it.  Yeah, that friend turned me on to lots of things. . . fish, smoking, drinking, drugs. 

Anyhow, that made me brave enough to try other kinds.  Now that I live in a port city, I eat fish lots.  Yum.  Still smoke and drink.  I don't do too many drugs anymore though. 

I like to fish too.  Haven't done it in a loooong time.  I went with a cute boy I was trying to snag, and my line kept getting caught in the low-hanging trees. 

Eww! Canned salmon is the worst! I can't even be in the same room with it. If someone opens a can, I have to get out of there. That stuff is totally rank.  :P

I'm gagging just from thinking about it. YUCK!!  :P

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2007, 04:20:44 pm »

Well i have hesitated to answer the question about the fish.. but my answer is yes and no.
I dont like most fish.  But i do like some kinds......i like fresh grilled salmon..cooked right after my son catches it.  A gourmet treat for sure.  But i dont like it smoked....go figure/  I like fried catfish and trout just about all ways i have ever eaten it.  The favorite way is to make a stuffing just like you would make for turkey. and fill the cavity, then bake.  Then serve with bernaise sauce.....yumm  Last and certainly not least.  I like halibut.  Probably my favorite. grilled fried, and baked..its always great...so the answer is yes and no.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:28 pm »

Well i have hesitated to answer the question about the fish.. but my answer is yes and no.
I dont like most fish.  But i do like some kinds......i like fresh grilled salmon..cooked right after my son catches it.  A gourmet treat for sure.  But i dont like it smoked....go figure/  I like fried catfish and trout just about all ways i have ever eaten it.  The favorite way is to make a stuffing just like you would make for turkey. and fill the cavity, then bake.  Then serve with bernaise sauce.....yumm  Last and certainly not least.  I like halibut.  Probably my favorite. grilled fried, and baked..its always great...so the answer is yes and no.

Somebody caught a catfish here in Indiana a few weeks ago, and it was as big as a large hog. I wish I could find a picture of it. It was on the news.

God, if I saw something like that swimming near me I'd part the water getting out of there! I think that fish weighed well over 100 lbs.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2007, 07:16:46 pm »
Well, don't get me started. I might just dig right in to eel, fugu, and mudfish sauce!!

But on a more appetizing note, those fish tacos that jpwagoneer made were exquisitely delicious! Not to give away all his secrets (and I don't know'em to give'em away) he used catfish which is the ugliest but most tasty of fish. And he didn't batter 'em at all, or pair em up with cabbage or anything of that sort. Just catfish and avocado and a really delicious sauce made of lime juice, mayonnaise, and heaps and heaps of garlic!! It was so yummy, I'm dreaming of taking a trip down to San Diego just for dinner sometime soon!!

Thank you so much for the fish tacos, Mark.

:-*

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2007, 03:47:28 pm »
Anybody had a fish taco recently?  :P

I know I didn't!  :laugh:  :laugh:

What is mudfish sauce Lee? I'm almost afraid to ask.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2007, 05:41:31 pm »
I had the salmon (not canned) at Chili's last week. It was seasoned just right and grilled so that it was juicy, not dry. I could tell that I got it right off the grill.  It was wonderful!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2007, 05:51:31 pm »
Is this the big fish, David?

It's huge -- I wouldn't want to be swimming with it either!  :o

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=02f_1184964004

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2007, 08:46:22 pm »
Yuck Shasta! Isn't that fish disgusting?

The fish I was talking about weighed over 100 pounds. But this fish gives you a pretty good idea what I was talking about. It's hard to believe we have fish that big in this state, but we do.  :P

Yucky.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2007, 06:11:13 am »
I like to look at fish in aquariums. I wouldn't want to swim with ones that size tho. The lake in Heber Springs has fish who nip at your legs, but they aren't big enough to take a leg off !  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2007, 03:31:18 am »
I like to look at fish in aquariums. I wouldn't want to swim with ones that size tho. The lake in Heber Springs has fish who nip at your legs, but they aren't big enough to take a leg off !  

My Dad told me tonight that those big old 100 + pound catfish lay at the bottom of the river eating anything that floats past them.

It's now perfectly clear to me why I DON'T like fish!  :P :P :P

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2007, 07:13:51 am »
Lee!  Truman and I both had fish tacos last night - saw them on the menu and closed it.  Sadly, they were not the best or even the average ones....Some kind of fried haddock or other generic whitefish.  I'm going to have to dig deeper in this thread for the recipe for the sauce - everybody knows that it's the condiments that matter!  Just make some myself.

:D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2007, 08:43:42 pm »
Sorry to hear your fish tacos flopped, Lynne and Tru! Yes, if the fish quality isn't good, then it's not likely the tacos will be. Also, if the fish is not cooked correctly. There is a link in the early posts to a really good recipe that has a delicious sauce. Mark makes an excellent fish taco sauce out of mayonnaise and garlic. I cheat--I go for the wasabi mayonnaise!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #150 on: November 09, 2007, 08:57:05 pm »
I think fish tacos would flop even if the fish IS good. I made them once and I thought I liked them, until I was told I made them wrong! :laugh:

Actually "like" is probably the wrong word to use here. I found them tolerable.

Where is that original recipe Lee? Do you think maybe you could repost it, because it appears some people are interested in making them again. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2007, 09:18:58 pm »
By popular demand, here it is again! Maybe Mark (jpwagoneer) would post his recipe, it's considerably simpler!

And David, if you made fish tacos and you liked them, then the recipe was not wrong!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2008, 10:24:10 pm »
I enjoy eating fish!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #153 on: January 03, 2009, 10:27:46 pm »
Wonderful friend Artiste. It is magical when David, you, me, serious crayons, Mark, Shasta, Cameron, Janet, and everyone can all come together and enjoy some delicious fish! And there is hardly a more healthful type of food than fish, you know!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2009, 10:33:12 pm »
I have been working on improving my homemade fish tacos. The most popular recipe in my family seems to be grilled tilapia, topped with spicy coleslaw (mix cumin and chili powder into the dressing), salsa, grated cheese and maybe some snips of fresh cilantro, wrapped in a corn tortilla.

I bought a gas grill last summer, and it really changed my life.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2009, 09:07:36 am »

Hmmmm. What are fish tacos?
At least I don't feel too bad about not knowing, since it was the reply with the most votes.  ;D

Actually, I like fish in tanks best of all.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2009, 12:11:20 pm »
haha, so your line has never touched water in 10 years, price tag still on it, underdown? Fish tacos are any concoction of fish (usually white fish) and other ingredients wrapped up in a tortilla. There are many different variations, but a link to one of my favorites is in the first post. Try it sometime! You have wonderful access to fresh fish in your country!!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2009, 01:03:09 pm »
Front-Ranger -- Thank you for hooking me up with fish tacos!!!! They are awesome and I now crave them. It's amazing what you can learn from your BM BBM friends!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Artiste

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2009, 09:01:56 pm »
I love fish!

And it's needed for health!

And enjoyable as there are many kinds of fish!

Good thread!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2009, 12:13:49 am »
I love fish, but fish don´t love me

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2009, 01:05:28 am »
I love fish, but fish don´t love me

Sorry to hear, friend!!

Our friend jpwagoneer1985 (Mark) is in town visiting, and that means we get to have fish tacos, authentic ones!! Yay!!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:01 am »
Fish cooked in beer batter is a popular take away meal here in Oz, but we usually have it with chips...deep fried potato wedges.

But I've never seen them in a taco.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #162 on: May 06, 2013, 11:50:20 am »
Did you make fish tacos for Cinco de Mayo? Here's an interesting recipe from the defunct Gourmet Magazine which apparently lives on in ghost form on the Internet. I would cut back on the mayo/crema by half, but, then again, it IS cinco de Mayo (or was)!

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2007/09/grilled-fish-tacos

(I'm guessing Jack and the Mexican enjoyed fish tacos after their romp in Juarez)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:55 pm »
Haha, never seen this thread before!

I love fish, but I've never heard of fish tacos until now.

Seems complicated to me, why not just eat the fish and the other stuff on a plate?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »
Love fish tacos-all Mexican restaurants here serve them. White fish, cabbage, salsa, maybe avo or guac

Heathen

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2013, 05:27:18 pm »
Love fish tacos-all Mexican restaurants here serve them. White fish, cabbage, salsa, maybe avo or guac

They're very popular in my area, as well.  In fact, my daughter and I had a few last week at Rubio's, a popular Mexican franchise located in Emeryville not far from Pixar Studios.  My girl loves fish tacos, but I prefer shrimp tacos or carnitas.  

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2013, 09:13:01 pm »
I've never had a fish taco, not sure if I would try them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!