Author Topic: Who Loves Fish?  (Read 120077 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Who Loves Fish?
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2006, 08:06:32 pm »
Look out Celeste, David, Katherine, and everyone...my poll on Ennis's stone biscuits comes next!!

After the fish tacos on Saturday, stone biscuits actually might taste good! ;)

I'm scared of dinner tomorrow night... :o
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2006, 10:34:59 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2006, 10:37:49 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2006, 10:48:20 pm »
That's great to hear. There's one thing tho. Re-read the part in the recipe where it says, don't even THINK about substituting lettuce for cabbage!!

I didn't even see that recipe! Uh-oh! Our fish tacos weren't anything like that! ???

Well, I am going to copy down that recipe and use it next weekend.

Even though I didn't use that recipe, can I still say I've had fish tacos now, or no?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 07:02:20 pm »
I just thought I would let you all know that fish tacos are actually pretty good! :)

We lightly fried some catfish strips and put them in taco shells with some lettuce and tomatoes. I also put tartar sauce on one of them, and hot sauce on the other one.

It was really good. We are going to have fish tacos again next week! :D

God, I can't BELIEVE I like fish tacos! :o

Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 11:21:09 pm »
Absolutely. Variations on the theme still count.

I'm so glad to hear you liked them, David. You would eat them in a box and you would eat them with a fox and you would eat them on a plane and you would eat them in the rain and ...*

(* Lest I sound completely ridiculous, let me note that I'm paraphrasing Dr. Seuss.)

Hehe. I love Dr. Seuss. But I wonder if he ever ate a fish taco? Green eggs and ham maybe. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2006, 09:41:03 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:39 pm »
That sounds perfect. You are the master. And maybe a sprinkling of cilantro?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2006, 12:21:11 am »
Just a few tips here...for best results, whip up the batter a few hours before, or even the night before. Then it is all fluffy and bubbly when you need to use it. For Celeste's benefit, I would like to say that I have actually made these tacos with tofu instead of fish and you can hardly tell the difference! Okay, now back to carnivorousness. I have found that both peanut oil and vegetable oil work just as well for frying the fish. But don't re-use the oil; that doesn't give you optimum results! Corn tortillas work better than wheat and cabbage better than lettuce. I like both hot sauce and tartar sauce or mayo, and for the perfect coupe de grace on top, a squeeze of lime!!

Thanks Front-Ranger, I am  going to make fish tacos again this weekend, and I WILL do it correctly this time! :)

And I don't even like fish. NOBODY will EVER talk me into eating Nieuwe Haring again though. The tail was sticking out of my mouth! :P They didn't cut it up. I guess you have to ask them to do it first. :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:28:57 am by David925 »

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2006, 12:26:09 am »
Fish tacos...that sounds interesting. Never heard of them before, though. I'd have to try that sometime...hope they'll taste good.  :laugh:
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!