Author Topic: Which character would you best get along with?  (Read 9253 times)

TheStudDuck

Which character would you best get along with?
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:16:11 am »
If you lived in the reality of Brokeback Mountain, which character do you feel you would get along with best?  To put it simply, if one of the characters was going to be your best friend, who would it be?

And if you would like to explain why... do so below... (just trying out this cool poll feature)

EnnisDelMar

Re: Which character would you best get along with?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:17:01 am »
Ennis

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:18:33 am »
Definitely Jack. Ennis is too noncommunicative for me.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:41:11 pm »
I didn't hesitate to vote for Jack because he'd be so much fun to pal around with.

But, tell you what, the truth is, I think Ennis would be steady and dependable in a crisis, and I like and admire that in a person.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 12:44:04 pm »
For purely platonic friendship, Jack. Well, I don't mean it would HAVE to be platonic. I just mean, if that's what you're asking about he'd be my first choice -- he is fun, nice, easy to get along with.

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 05:42:33 pm »
I chose Jack because he seems to be one who would make friends easily and if he were a real human and I knew him as a single man, and he were to be in love with me like he was with Ennis, I think that I could help him run a cow and calf operation.

Oh, I have known a guy like Ennis and yet he would not admit that he was in love with me. Some people who knew us both when he was living with me were amused when he told them in a group where he was my guest, "I am not gay!"

A guy who publicly declares that he is exclusively heterosexual and not even bisexual, yet wants to sleep in the very same twin-sized daybed with an openly gay man who is in love with him, is definitely in denial.

Kaland did not have to sleep in my bed; there was a pop-up trundle bed he could pull out and sleep on. But, the only time he would get a good night's sleep when he was living with me was when he was snuggled up to me in bed.

After we had moved to another apartment, we had a double bed in the master bedroom. I have to sleep with a body pillow for spinal alignment when I sleep on my side (with or without a bedmate). I decided to put the body pillow back under the cover below my regular pillow when I got up for the day. A little while later, I went back into the room to do something. Kaland was lying on his stomach with his head on my pillow, and the body pillow was on his back and it was as if I had placed it there squarely on his back and legs.

Offline DecaturTxCowboy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 10:15:09 pm »
The pack horses...the don't talk back and you can lead them around by the nose.

Unlike boyfriends and drinking buddies....
Take it like a man - steady and strong, not a lot of fuss and carring on.  True to a promise, I can ride in any storm.  So bend over and take it like a man...Too much of a good thing is a good thing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 01:46:21 am »
OK, I can stretch my mind to imagine potentially being friends with just about anyone on that list: Jack, Ennis, Alma, Cassie, Randall, Lureen, even LaShawn. But I'd be interested to hear some elaboration from whoever voted for Jimbo!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 01:48:52 am by latjoreme »

TJ

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 02:03:57 am »
Oh, in the movie story line, both Lureen and Cassie were the guy chasers.

In my closeted days, I have had women in my life who were like them in a way and they showed interest in me first.

Yes, women did drag me out onto a dance floor but it was at some other social function and not in a bar.

I have met guys like Randall who were interested in me after I left the closet and there is no way that I would be interested.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 03:44:58 pm »
I picked Jack. He's so fun-loving, open and caring.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline skippydevereaux

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 06:28:21 pm »
I picked Jack, only for the reason that Ennis would not allow himself to open enough to live with Jack somewhere. Heck, if I had a man that loved me as much as Jack loved Ennis, then I would move the world to live with him forever.
Ennis not being talkative would not bother me, as I am sort of quiet in my own way also.  :)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 05:24:35 pm »
Gotta be Jack - he's so full of fun and life. He's even adorable when he's bitchin' about camp life, LOL! I reckon Alma would be a good friend too - I get the feeling there's a lot of fun in her that we don't see in the film. The sledging scene points to this, as does the scene where she wants to be sociable and go to the church dance, plus she wants to move to town to be around more people.
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 12:31:17 pm »
I'd definetely have to say Jack!  We both talk a lot....LOL

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 03:03:40 am »
I would get along better with Jack, but I would prefer being with Ennis.

Does that make any sense... at all? :-\
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 03:12:46 am »
That makes total sense to me David.  I would get along with Jack because I would let him do all the talking.  But I would be more drawn emotionally to Ennis' quietness, the challenge of getting to know him, balancing having fun and being low key and just spending time together.  But then again, I did have a boyfriend who didn't talk much, and it drove me crazy!!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 11:05:59 pm »
That makes total sense to me David.  I would get along with Jack because I would let him do all the talking.  But I would be more drawn emotionally to Ennis' quietness, the challenge of getting to know him, balancing having fun and being low key and just spending time together.  But then again, I did have a boyfriend who didn't talk much, and it drove me crazy!!

Juan

Ah! The quiet, pensive male! I love mysterious men. Actually I like men period!

I always thought dingy guys were cute too... but most of them aren't quiet. They are chatter boxes! :D

gattaca

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 11:18:01 pm »
We're in agreement here. Jack would be fun to hang out with (as good friends should be), gregarious and energetic. And he's damn cute, too. But Ennis has stolen my heart, and he'd be the one I'd stay with.
To be sure, this mystifies me somewhat - I'm so like Ennis in behavior and emotional restraint it's a little frightening, and so why then would I be drawn so strongly to a man who is as quiet and contemplative as I am?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 09:55:38 am »
I picked Ennis cause he is an aussie too, and i know he would understand my language....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 02:43:16 pm »
No contest.  Definately Jack.  He's fun loving, adorable, friendly and he cares about you.  I'm not that social or talkative so I would need Jack to bring me out of my shell.  I would get along with Ennis also but we both would be very quiet and talk about our chores only.  Very boring.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 11:27:43 pm »
I picked Ennis cause he is an aussie too, and i know he would understand my language....

Katie - I pointed this out on IMDb once. I thought Heath imitated an American perfectly. Every time I watch Brokeback Mountain, I can't believe it is actually Heath  (an Australian) portraying Ennis (an American) so well. Over on IMDb, people were amazed to find out Heath was Australian. I guess some people are not familiar with Heath (can you imagine that?!). Some thought he was actually an American because in the movie he spoke with such a perfect American accent.

Heath also did a very good job in the movie "Monster's Ball"with Halle Berry, Peter Boyle and Billy Bob Thornton. It is a shame he didn't have a bigger part in this movie though.  :( ??? >:(

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 10:18:09 am »
These posts are so very much interesting, that I am happy to find them!!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 11:07:20 am »
I picked Ennis. Believe it or not he,s very like me in that I keep my thoughts and feelings to myself. Yes I know I,m different on here lol, but in "real life" I tend to keep a lot of stuff about what I,m really thinking and feeling inside my head. It,s safer in there, no one can get in. Thats how Ennis was. He kept things bottled up too. Jack was great fun and a real livewire but sometimes he talked too much and that gets on my nerves. I like quiet sometimes, so Ennis and I would have got on a treat I reckon.  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 02:49:07 pm »
my heart belongs to Jack.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 03:10:09 pm »
Thanks souxi!

Would you live with both Ennis and Jack, may I ask?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 03:11:24 pm »
Oilfieldtrash, would you not prefer Ennis?

Long term?

Jack, short term?

May I ask??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »
I picked Ennis, he would have been a challenge,which I love.Jack would have been too easy. I tend to prefer things and people I have had to work really hard to get.
I also chose Ennis because in most respects he was honest with Jack.I know he never admitted to himself that he was homosexual.But he was honest with Jack about one really important thing and that was his fidelity.
In the ss at the motel scene Ennis says he has never been with another guy, Jack lies.I know he comes clean at the end,but that is after 20 years.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 09:15:43 pm »
I picked Ennis, he would have been a challenge,which I love.Jack would have been too easy. I tend to prefer things and people I have had to work really hard to get.
I also chose Ennis because in most respects he was honest with Jack.I know he never admitted to himself that he was homosexual.But he was honest with Jack about one really important thing and that was his fidelity.
In the ss at the motel scene Ennis says he has never been with another guy, Jack lies.I know he comes clean at the end,but that is after 20 years.

Ennis is simple and easy to understand. Jack is the complicated one! So to me that is the challenge.

Sure, Jack is a great liar, he doesn't even flinch when he lies! I love him. Jack is a natural born salesman, that means he is also a natural born politician. With a better education Jack could have done interesting things with his life :  law school, public service, advertising. Jack would always keep life interesting with his presence. We would have to work on the alcoholism, but Jack could definitely become someone who makes a difference for others.

Offline optom3

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:38 am »
Ennis is simple and easy to understand. Jack is the complicated one! So to me that is the challenge.

Sure, Jack is a great liar, he doesn't even flinch when he lies! I love him. Jack is a natural born salesman, that means he is also a natural born politician. With a better education Jack could have done interesting things with his life :  law school, public service, advertising. Jack would always keep life interesting with his presence. We would have to work on the alcoholism, but Jack could definitely become someone who makes a difference for others.

I love Jack in the film.but maybe because my ex husband was an alcoholic,that colours my view.They are pretty bloody awful to live with full time.But if truth be told I certainly would not throw him out my bed!!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 11:48:41 am »
I love Jack in the film.but maybe because my ex husband was an alcoholic,that colours my view.They are pretty bloody awful to live with full time.But if truth be told I certainly would not throw him out my bed!!!!

agreed, Chris developed the same problem. it is very tough addition to beat and get a grip on. honesty seems to be the only step toward a cure that works over the long haul.

I wonder if Jack's alcoholism wasn't rooted in his intense lonliness and frustrations. Could a loving caring person who was able to give Jack all the attention which he needed have made a difference. And I think that I underestimate the amount of attention which Jack would have needed, he was very "needy".