Author Topic: Ennis crying -- Independent Spirit Awards  (Read 13325 times)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Ennis crying -- Independent Spirit Awards
« on: June 11, 2006, 07:43:39 pm »
For a long long time (two months?) there was a most fantastic rumour circulating, about an alternate take of the scene where Ennis finds the two shirts in Jack's closet, and he loses it.  According to an anonymous source (rt) the clip was shown at the Independent Spirit Awards in March. 

It is a truly awesome moment.  He picks up the shirts, does what we see in the final cut, then stumbles, leans against the wall, clutches the shirts and...bawls

Some of us searched high and low and beat the bushes, and on June 9th Grace (twobloodyshirts) was victorious in her quest and posted links to it on BetterMost.  Thank you Grace!!!  And thanks go also to twister71 over at Wranglers who uploaded the video clip to megaupload.com for all Brokies worldwide to enjoy.

you can view it here:
or here:

or you can download it here:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:32:09 am by JakeTwist »
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis crying -- Independent Spirit Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:52:47 pm »
More is always better!

Hell, they could add another four hours to the movie and I'd drool over every minute of it.   Even the mundane stuff.     Jack brushing his teeth,  Ennis castrating the calves,  Jack taking a shower.....Oops!

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:37:06 pm »
Wow... thank you thank you thank you thank you... :-*

My opinion, the movie cut is jusssst perrrrrfect.  No need to add anything to it.  However, they should have included ALL the out-takes of BBM as part of the bonus features of BBM DVD.   I don't mind view additional scenes as Jack or Ennis brushing teeth, taking shower, riding horses, and, and, etc  :P

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 11:48:28 pm »
They didn't have showers silly, they had baths in the river!  Or sponge baths by the campfire.  Haven't you ever been camping?   ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 12:09:51 am »
I like the ISA clip.  From what we're shown of this alternate version it still looks pretty quick.  I would like to see more of Ennis's emotional side at this point anyway.  I still want to know how in the world this alternate clip ended up being shown at the ISA??  And, if the ISA clip wins in the poll should we alert Focus Features or anyone else who might be responsible for the delux DVD, whenever that might appear?
 ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:03:49 am »
And, if the ISA clip wins in the poll should we alert Focus Features or anyone else who might be responsible for the delux DVD, whenever that might appear?
 ;)

Yes!!!  I like the direction you're goin'!  make it happen Amanda!  And can you tell Ang that we also want the deleted scenes of all the boys' fishing trips, from 1967 up to and including 1983, and tell him not to leave anything out this time!  Tell 'im it's for grown adults and he does not have to censor anything, we can stand it!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 01:32:55 am »
I thought the movie was cut perfect--in the first plasce, Ennis is supposed to be SMELLING the shirts, not crying into them.  Couple of tears O.K, but niot a big production. By the way, I coukdn't tell the two apart, and they both looked overdone...as far as outtakes are converned, sure I'd love to see anything...mesnehile, I'm wiriting some "outtakes" of my own. It's funny, dharacters in fanfiction have a mind of their own--some things they'll do, with bells on, and some--nope.
This still is from the movie: click to enlarge

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:12:09 am »
I haven't answered the poll, because I don't mind what version of the scene was released - they are both amazing.  The as-released version was so good, any extra availalbe footage is icing on the cake.  But I'm getting hungry for that icing to be released on DVD so bad!!
Maybe the collective thought power of BBM fans willing the special edition DVD into existence will actually work!!
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:24:48 am »
They didn't have showers silly, they had baths in the river!  Or sponge baths by the campfire.  Haven't you ever been camping?   ;D

Ha ha ha!     I meant in their everyday life at home.    I'm sure both Jack and Ennis took many a hot shower at their respective homes and were thinking of eachother while doing so.    ;)

Jack and Ennis are so real to many of us.   Just seeing more of their mundane daily activities would be fine!      Jack in Childress interacting with the local townfolk.  Ennis taking the girls out for Ice cream.   Hell, Jack unloading 120 bottles of formula from L.D.Newsomes car.  (Probably a big ol' Cadillac with bulls horns on the hood!)   LOL.

Jack stopping for gas on the road between Childress and Riverton.    Ennis getting the horses ready for when he brought them to meet Jack on their camping trips.   Alma at work seeing Fish forsale then walking away in disgust.   Oh yeah, this could be a 20 hour mini-series.   I'm sure we'd all be glued to the TV !

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 12:00:53 pm »
I had to pick the scene where Our Ennis expresses more.

Count me in for the 20 hour mini-series: Jack looking for his blue parka and shopping for purple chairs, Ennis watching that whole episode of Kojak.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 12:21:36 pm »
I think it could be the same cut, just edited for the film. Love to see all of it. I would sure like to watch other camping trips, Jacks stops for gas, roadsigns through his windshield (Casper 344 miles), warm grettings, heartfelt farewells, fireside chats, etc.

Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 01:15:26 pm »
I like the "alternate" take better.  Packs a little more punch and emotion. 

I also agree with the comment that Ang was a little too reserved in some instances.  I'm tired of hearing people say 'it wasn't emotional' or 'they were just friends'.  A little more punch and emotion like we see in this clip would have stamped all that out... 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:45:45 am »
This is a tough one. I like the extra emotional punch of the alternate. Much as restraint is a quality I love about the movie, sometimes I feel some of those ending scenes are just a tiny bit too restrained (the end of the phone booth scene, also). And in general I'll take any extra seconds I can get.

On the other hand, since discovering the "I love you" (I think), I love the way that scene underscores the moment by cutting off immediately after he whispers that into the shirts.

On the deluxe addition, I would like to see footage of every single moment Jack and Ennis spent together from 1963 to 1983.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 01:25:02 pm »
I don't know...thats a tough one!  I think that the fact that he didn't cry a whole lot added to the film!  Part of the Ennis was the fact that he couldn't express emotion very well..

But it would have been nice to see though..

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 03:25:22 pm »
I haven't voted yet because I really, really like both. The one in the movie is restrained and fits with not only Ennis' character but Ang Lee's directing style and film's entire mood.

As for the alternate version, I love that stumble. It's so sad. I like them both; they both are making me feel like crying right now.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 08:07:26 pm »
I didn't vote because there's not a happy medium (I sense a trend in my Libra - ness)

I love love love the breakdown, Ennis going red in the face, clamping down his grief - as he's had to do with his emotions his whole life - to avoid having the Twists hear him, literally staggering under the emotional blow, such intensity to a gut-wrenching scene.  I was already nearly sobbing aloud at this point in the movie.  I would have been hysterical had this been shown.

But I also like the scene as it is, the movie is a very very tidy work of art, nothing wasted, nothing lingered on too long, the emotion intense but spare.

I just have to download it and just keep comparing.  ;D

Thanks so so so much to the Brokie obsessed fans who managed to track this down so they could share it with all of us.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:07:37 am by delalluvia »

Offline EnnisLovesJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Nasty love me!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 01:23:38 am »
Thank you thank you thank you!!! How rare and special and to see an outake.

I'm jumpin' on board with all who vote for a full set of outtaakes and cut scenes, moments, shots, plus ALL of Jack and Ennis' moments from the day they meet until the end. Please, Focus Features, if you are listening, please do he right thing and put those on the Deluxe DVD, and release it soon! Brokies are gettin' restless. Yeehaw!

Gimme outakes!

p.s. what was mistakenly posted before the "correct" clip/link?
Jack Nasty loves you!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 03:18:12 am »
Let's see - if every moment that Ennis and Jack experience from 1963 to 1983 is shown in the deluxe edition, that would be 20 years for each, equals 40 years, minus one half the times when they are actually together for 3 or 4 times a year for 17 of those years.  If we sit down now with the remote and start to watch it, it would keep most of us busy well into old age and beyond.  Let's get started!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:34 am »
Actuarial tables suggest the remote possibility that I wouldn't have time to get through the entire 30-some-year DVD that Elle describes.  Anyway, I'd undoubtedly want to watch it more than once (reversing and replaying and slo-moing any number of key moments). And I'll have to admit, there are probably parts here and there (Jack making his umpteenth combine sale, Ennis castrating his umpteenth calf) that I might fast-forward through.

So personally, I guess I would settle for just all the moments they spend together.

Let's see. Two months (eight weeks), plus 16 years of, let's say, an average of 3.75 high-altitude weeks per year (60 altogether). So (retrieves calculator) that's 68 weeks, or 476 days (about 1.3 years), or 11,424 hours.

At 1.3 years, I would have time to watch it, actuarially speaking, approximately twice as many times as I've seen the movie so far.

That's gonna be some Deluxe Edition DVD!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:19:58 am by latjoreme »

Offline David

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 10:16:17 am »
OMG!    Can you imagine merging Brokeback Mountain with say..the Truman Show?

Live 24 hour a day coverage of Jack and Ennis filmed from every perspective! 

Jack making lunch for Bobby.

Ennis in the shower...  (oh my)

Jack out looking at new pickup trucks everyother year.

Ennis grocery shopping "where do y'all keep the BetterMost beans?"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 09:40:20 pm »
So I have a scary thought... what if they don't make a special edition DVD?  ???

What if this is just a Brokie fantasy?  I'm just about dying for more, more, more... in terms of out-takes and special features.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 11:05:33 pm »
So I have a scary thought... what if they don't make a special edition DVD?  ???

What if this is just a Brokie fantasy?  I'm just about dying for more, more, more... in terms of out-takes and special features.

I hate to be the one to burst your balloon Amanda, but....

Alternate Takes  --  the likelihood that we will ever see the alternate takes is virtually nil.  Have you ever known a Deluxe Edition DVD to include multiple takes of the same scene?  I have not.  We were just damn lucky that we were able to procure the alternate take of Ennis crying.

Extended Scenes  --  Well mayyyybe some... but the intimate stuff?  Not likely, IMO.  I am speaking specifically of the FNIT & SNIT.  A long time ago I read a quote of AL that said that he did not want to exploit Heath and Jake, that he filmed more of the Tent Scene (I think he was referring to FNIT) but he cut it in half bcz he did not want to exploit.....  I read that excerpt over two months ago, and I do not have a link to the actual article, so if anyone has the link to it, can you please reference it here?  tks.

Director's Cut?  --  I am just repeating what someone else has already posted, Ang Lee does not go in for Director's Cuts; the final version of the movie IS the Director's Cut.

Special Features  --  yeah, maybe some stuff, if we're very lucky Jake or Heath will put some stuff on the DVD for us.

Anyway I hate to be the bearer of bad news, :'(   I more than anyone else would just love to see ALL 12 of the other takes of FNIT, and ALL the alternate takes of SNIT, TNIT, any other of the cuddling and romance, etc. etc.

J

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 10:41:54 pm »
Amanda, you shut up about that!  (Altough, actually I think you're probably right.)  :(

And I'll have to admit, there are probably parts here and there (Jack making his umpteenth combine sale, Ennis castrating his umpteenth calf) that I might fast-forward through.
[Elle mentally downgrades Katherine's level of BBM committedness from a Level 1A to a mere 1B.] ;)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 04:07:25 am »
Uh-oh. To regain my standing, how bout I agree to watch a 10-hour DVD that is nothing BUT Ennis castratin calves. And I promise not to make Cassie's Eeewwww look.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 03:20:32 am »
Bump!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2006, 03:31:15 am »
Uh-oh. To regain my standing, how bout I agree to watch a 10-hour DVD that is nothing BUT Ennis castratin calves. And I promise not to make Cassie's Eeewwww look.

Friend this post is long overdue.  You have long since proven that you are indeed a category 1A Brokie, and ain't nothin', nowhere that can change that.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2006, 05:46:39 pm »
I also agree with the comment that Ang was a little too reserved in some instances.  I'm tired of hearing people say 'it wasn't emotional' or 'they were just friends'. 

IMO, at least some of the uneasiness with showing emotion and some of the knee-jerk denigrating of it is part of the 21st century's version of Puritanism, and a second cousin at least to the over-the-top preoccupation with nutrition and health.  You've heard about how the old pagan holidays got revamped as Christmas, All Hallows Eve, Easter, etc., etc.? Well, meet the new Yes, We Have No Emotions boss - same as the old boss, corsets and all.

I'm for including the whole scene in Jack's closet.  Puritans be damned.  Would certainly spring for a 10-hour DVD with all the outtakes, and I'd bet it would sell well online especially.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 05:51:47 pm by Marge_Innavera »

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2006, 05:54:51 pm »
Anyway I hate to be the bearer of bad news,    I more than anyone else would just love to see ALL 12 of the other takes of FNIT, and ALL the alternate takes of SNIT, TNIT, any other of the cuddling and romance, etc. etc.

I would too, especially in the Full Screen format.   ;D

As far as a Director's Cut is concerned, I'd really like to know if there's a specific industry definition for that. As I understand it, a finished feature movie is the property of the producers, not the director unless they happen to be one and the same person(s).

Cut the first tent scene in half??  I want to see what was cut! 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 05:59:11 pm by Marge_Innavera »