Author Topic: DVD w/deleted footage  (Read 11016 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: DVD w/deleted footage
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2006, 12:05:39 pm »
I'm looking forward to the director's commentary.  Is Lee going to say anthing we've missed.   Sometimes voice over commentaries are very informative and sometimes they tell you, "yeah, ppl were reading all this stuff into this scene and it was just a spontenous moment with no intended sybolism." >:(

I was thinking of Jake's other popular movie "DONNIE DARKO." The restored scenes in the movie didn't add to the film.  I think ppl were looking more into the philisophy of what was actually going on in that film and the scenes didn't help answer that questions.

Adding deleted scenes could make the film more tedious, less sparse, but I'd still like to see more of Jack and Ennis bonding, so to speak. 

I wouldn't mind more exploration of Jack and Lureen's relationship.  We never see them in bed together and Jack  rejecting Lureen's advances.  :)  I bet that happened, if not filmed.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2006, 01:42:53 pm »
I'm actually pretty desperate to see all the scenes that were filmed and that aren't in the film - whether it's parts of film scenes that were snipped for time, or scenes that were completely kept out of the film. I've got fingers and toes crossed that a Collector's edition BBM will include such scenes.

But, I do not think I'd like to see them added and inserted in the film itself. I want the scenes to come separately. The film is as near to perfection as it's possible to get it - the deleted scenes might too easily make it less so, since it's hardly possible to imagine it going the other way.

For one thing, several scenes that we know have been filmed would make the film less ambiguous and subtle, should they be reinserted. For instance, the second flashback and Randall getting out of Jack's car with those guys from the trailer watching, would go a long way to removing the doubt concerning Jack's fate.

Other scenes might change the mood of the film. While I'd absolutely love love love to see the scenes with innuendo and banter between Ennis and Jack, including the hippie rescue scene - I suppose that *would* break the slowly but surely mounting mood of gloom and frustrated longing.

Also, some scenes may not work for reasons we don't know till we've actually seen them. Nothing more than a tone of voice or a slightly odd facial expression may mean they don't fit in with the rest of the story and characterization.

Scenes that I'd most dearly like to see? Jack giving Ennis a gun and Ennis refusing it, immediately after the "I brought beans" scene. Since there are pictures available from footage from that scene than isn't in the film - as already included in this thread - I hope the gun-giving was actually filmed too. It was in a late version of the script, at any rate. Jack and Lureen rescuing the Malones after their car broke down, though I don't know if that was filmed - because of a line of dialogue Jack has there. And *any* scene of J&E hugging and being affectionate at the beginning of their final meeting - there are pictures floating around of that too - and I NEED to see that.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:46:57 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:07 pm »
And *any* scene of J&E hugging and being affectionate at the beginning of their final meeting - there are pictures floating around of that too - and I NEED to see that.

Me too. I bet all those stupid people who objected to the sex/affection in Brokeback would be surprised to know how many of us desperately wish there were much MORE of it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 04:45:44 pm »
Back again.

I'm indecisive if I'd like to have the deleted scenes back into the movie or only as an additional DVD feature. I can see both sides: it may be too much and may undercut the restraint of the movie. But on the other side I would sooooo love to see at least a little more affection between our boys, esp. in the later years. One or two short shots of happiness wouldn't hurt, would they?

And for the extra material, I vote along with David and others: gimmie more, more and more. I'd like to see everything they shooted. And more, like David (was it you, David?) said. I wouldn't mind seeing Jack in the shower, Ennis working at a ranch, and every single of their trips during the 20 years  :)

And a detailed director's commentary would be nice, too. And more actor's commentaries. And anything with Heath' voice. As for me he could read a grocery list, it would still be great. Well, I guess I extravagate from the topic  and better stop now. Bet you get the picture anyway ;D

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2006, 09:16:18 am »

Scenes that I'd most dearly like to see? Jack giving Ennis a gun and Ennis refusing it, immediately after the "I brought beans" scene. Since there are pictures available from footage from that scene than isn't in the film - as already included in this thread - I hope the gun-giving was actually filmed too. It was in a late version of the script, at any rate.

Hi Mikaela:

I did not see any pics of Jack offering a gun to Ennis, and Ennis refusing it.  Where did you see those pics?  And does anyone else have a problem with the iheartjake website in that every time you want to look at a pic you have to click down one page from the main homepage or something?  Is it me, or is that website f'd up?
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2006, 10:09:31 am »
I haven't seen any gun giving still photos either.   Maybe it was just mentioned in the screenplay/script?

The IHeartJake site is kinda weird.   When I click on the gallery icon, it opens another window too.   Then the header is soo huge you have to scroll way down to see the pics.     Plus the some of the pics are huge!   So if I capture any I end up resizing them to something easier to post and as jpg format too.

I hate it when people post those gigantic pics where you have to scroll around to see different parts.  But I understand that not everybody has Adobe Photoshop on their computer.    I prefer Adobe Photoshop 2.0 actually.   I tried the newer versions but they have way more features then I'll ever use.   2.0 is easy enough for me to use!  LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2006, 10:22:36 am »
I haven't seen any gun giving still photos either.   Maybe it was just mentioned in the screenplay/script?

It is in the 2004 screenplay that folks were talking about the other day. It is the fishing trip when Ennis brings the beans. In the movie it is very short but in the screenplay the scene is longer. Jack brings Ennis a gun as a present and Ennis refuses it, pointing out how much it cost and how could he possibly go back to Alma with such an expensive gift? Just reading it made me incredibly sad so I am happy I didn't have to see it on the screen. I would have been a wreck!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2006, 10:53:30 am »
I'd love to see all those, David.  :)

I'd just like to see a couple more scenes of the two of them talking together, either up on Brokeback or in that later camping trip like your first picture.  The chemistry between them is so palpable - even when they're just hanging out, so to speak - (and I still don't begin to get "people" who don't see it/feel it/smell it), that I just want MORE.
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2006, 03:22:50 pm »
Hi Mikaela:

I did not see any pics of Jack offering a gun to Ennis, and Ennis refusing it.  Where did you see those pics?  And does anyone else have a problem with the iheartjake website in that every time you want to look at a pic you have to click down one page from the main homepage or something?  Is it me, or is that website f'd up?

Hi, I haven't seen any pics of this scene either, but in one script version it follows as part of the scene where Ennis brings beans to one of their meetings. The very beginning of that scene is in the film, but there are stills and outtake pictures from it (still with the food and beans - at least one such pic featured here ) that show that more was filmed of the scene than we get in the film. That's why I'm hoping that maybe they filmed the gun giving too.