Author Topic: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...  (Read 11554 times)

slayers_creek_oth

OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:44:42 pm »
I recieved an email today telling me that Zodiac's original release date of 11/22/06 has now been pushed back to 1/19/07 for unknown reasons...that will remain its scheduled run date until further notice...Paramount gave no reasons...

I was kinda bummed...  :'(

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:50:23 pm »
If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it Chris!
It'll be ok, don't worry!  :P

When I saw "bad news" - I thought Jake was off the project or something!
Phewwww...!  ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 04:52:36 pm »
When I saw "bad news" - I thought Jake was off the project or something!
Phewwww...!  ;D

Oh no...thats why I said kind of bad news!  LOL  That would have been really bad news...

The project is done...he finished filming it...so it would be hard to back out now!  Its in post-production...which is why it baffles me that they are pushing it back so far....oh well!  What can you do?

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 04:58:16 pm »
I recieved an email today telling me that Zodiac's original release date of 11/22/06 has now been pushed back to 1/19/07 for unknown reasons...that will remain its scheduled run date until further notice...Paramount gave no reasons...

I was kinda bummed...  :'(

Bummed?  You think I'm bummed?  I'm not bummed.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 04:59:30 pm »

Bummed?  You think I'm bummed?  I'm not bummed.

OK.....LOL

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 05:00:41 pm »
Damn it! God that means we won't get it over here until about Feburary or even worse March! Which means not in time for the BAFTAs, which means no me and Jake sharing the same square and most importantly: no wet Jake this year. :'(

I hope it is in time for the Oscars though, cause it has already been getting Oscar buffs.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:08:17 pm »
I hope it is in time for the Oscars though, cause it has already been getting Oscar buffs.

Thats another thing that shocks me...they aren't releasing it intime for the 06/07 Oscars!  And you're right - it has been getting lots of Oscar buzz already!  My distributor expected it to be this generations The Silence of the Lambs....kinda strange!

We're talkin about studios though and they have already changed its date 3 times...so this may not be set in stone yet..

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:09:07 pm »
NO!!!! Damn, november was already too long a wait....  :-\

I guess it could be worse, thanks for letting us know!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:10:34 pm »
Thats another thing that shocks me...they aren't releasing it intime for the 06/07 Oscars!  And you're right - it has been getting lots of Oscar buzz already!  My distributor expected it to be this generations The Silence of the Lambs....kinda strange!

We're talkin about studios though and they have already changed its date 3 times...so this may not be set in stone yet..

It isn't in time for the oscars?? no way... I mean, we all know after this year that the oscars are a sham anyway, but still, I was excited that Jake might have another chance.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 05:14:06 pm »
It isn't in time for the oscars?? no way... I mean, we all know after this year that the oscars are a sham anyway, but still, I was excited that Jake might have another chance.

NOPE...because its being released in 2007...so it will be eligible for the 07/08 Oscars in a year and a half...but not the ones coming up in February....

It was originally being release in November...right at the beginning of the Oscar seaons for that reason...but I'm not sure what the motivation is now...doesn't make sense to me...

Offline opinionista

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:18:03 pm »
NOPE...because its being released in 2007...so it will be eligible for the 07/08 Oscars in a year and a half...but not the ones coming up in February....

It was originally being release in November...right at the beginning of the Oscar seaons for that reason...but I'm not sure what the motivation is now...doesn't make sense to me...

It could be a lot of reasons. Rumor has it that David Fincher is very perfectionist. Who knows. Maybe he wants to reshoot a few scenes and some of the actors aren't available until later. It could be a problem with the distribution.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:24:05 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 05:18:16 pm »
I know, because if it's up for the next oscars, then now it might be released so early that it will be forgot about by the time the oscars role around.  It seems like a really bad position to put the movie in.  Of course, making a movie isn't all about winning an oscar, so maybe they aren't concerned, but still...

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 05:20:26 pm »
I just popped over to Oscarwatch to check the buzz on this, and it sounds like there's a scene being re-shot this summer. So I guess that's the reason.

But January? Isn't that when disappointing movies get dumped, while all the Christmas limited release stuff goes wide?  :-\
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 05:22:08 pm »
I thought some January movies still made it in time for the oscars... isn't that what happened with Cinderella Man?? I could be really really wrong though...

And yeah, January is usually where the disappointing movies get dumped

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »
I thought some January movies still made it in time for the oscars... isn't that what happened with Cinderella Man?? I could be really really wrong though...

And yeah, January is usually where the disappointing movies get dumped

Nope...Cinderella Man was released in 6/05...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 05:33:11 pm »
I know, because if it's up for the next oscars, then now it might be released so early that it will be forgot about by the time the oscars role around.  It seems like a really bad position to put the movie in.  Of course, making a movie isn't all about winning an oscar, so maybe they aren't concerned, but still...

Yeah I'm surprised....this person among 4 other people that I found listed it in her 2006 Oscar predix for Best Picture nominations...

Susan Wloszczyna -

The Departed
Marie-Antoinette
Dreamgirls
Zodiac
The Good German

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 05:35:44 pm »
But January? Isn't that when disappointing movies get dumped, while all the Christmas limited release stuff goes wide?  :-\

Yeah January-May is the WORST time to release a film!  Everyone is broke from X-mas celebrating and films have hardly any success...so I don't know whats up with that...

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 11:09:40 pm »
 :) I believe it can be showing in a limited number of theatres i.e. LA, NY, Chicago in December, and still be eligible for Oscar consideration - maybe this is what is going to happen and it will open wide in January ??? ???

by December, I will need a strong Jake-fix - at least we have a Heath-fix soon................... :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 11:45:08 pm »
:) I believe it can be showing in a limited number of theatres i.e. LA, NY, Chicago in December, and still be eligible for Oscar consideration - maybe this is what is going to happen and it will open wide in January ??? ???

by December, I will need a strong Jake-fix - at least we have a Heath-fix soon................... :D

Yep...its has to be playing in a Los Angeles theater for 7 days in order to be eligible...so if they release it in limited in Nov-Dec then yes I can be...we'll see I suppose...

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 01:40:12 am »
It's been very difficult to wrap my head around David Fincher being talked about in association with Oscar.  Back in the day, he was extremely talented, but immature.  Years earlier, before I became acquainted with him, he had dropped out of high school to go work at Skywalker Ranch with Lucas. While his commercial works are bright, smart and refined, I have been a little stunned (not disappointed) that his filmwork is so dark.

A most apropos director for "Zodiac".
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 01:41:38 pm »
It's been very difficult to wrap my head around David Fincher being talked about in association with Oscar.  Back in the day, he was extremely talented, but immature.  Years earlier, before I became acquainted with him, he had dropped out of high school to go work at Skywalker Ranch with Lucas. While his commercial works are bright, smart and refined, I have been a little stunned (not disappointed) that his filmwork is so dark.

A most apropos director for "Zodiac".

Well we'll see I suppose!  He's definitely a perfectionist...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 02:12:34 pm »
I'm looking very much forward to Zodiac. What I've read about it has really peaked my interest. That aside, as long as Jake has a major role, I'll be there.  :-*

They can't possibly know at this stage exactly *when* the film will be ready for distribution, if there's still some filming to do...... They may yet decide on an earlier date. Though if January is the current best ETA, then I keep my fingers crossed there will be no further delays. Even so, Zodiac'll not get to some parts of Europe till many months after that.  :(

The only possible (and admittedly selfish) benefit I can see of the film being released in time to join the Oscar race, is that one or more nominations would ensure it gets to my corner of the globe sooner. Otherwise, I couldn't care less about the Oscars in relation to Zodiac or any other film, since the AMPAS has lost every ounze of credibility in my eyes. And frankly, I'd much rather Jake was out there acting in new films instead of using up his talent in rushing from one inane talk show to the next and attending awards ceremonies by the dozen for months on end like he did this year, campaigning. He'll get the good roles anyway, Oscars or no.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 03:43:44 pm »
You know, as long as it's worth the wait, I'll be satisfied. I've been waiting a long time for Southland Tales and according to the critics at Cannes, it isn't even worth the wait. (However, I'll still be seeing it as long as it's released.)
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 03:46:13 pm »
You know, as long as it's worth the wait, I'll be satisfied. I've been waiting a long time for Southland Tales and according to the critics at Cannes, it isn't even worth the wait. (However, I'll still be seeing it as long as it's released.)

Southland Tales?  Doesn't that have Justin Timberlake in it?

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:20 pm »
Yeah January-May is the WORST time to release a film!  Everyone is broke from X-mas celebrating and films have hardly any success...so I don't know whats up with that...

Well, BBM opened in January in a lot of places.  It was limited release until then, if I recall right.  Can't judge a movie by when it opens.

Normally, delays are bad news - there's problems or the movie stinks - but who knows?  'Titanic' opened late and over budget and made a billion bucks.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 08:38:58 pm »
Well, BBM opened in January in a lot of places.  It was limited release until then, if I recall right.  Can't judge a movie by when it opens.

Normally, delays are bad news - there's problems or the movie stinks - but who knows?  'Titanic' opened late and over budget and made a billion bucks.

I'm not judging a movie by when it opens...who ever judged the movie?

The difference between BBM and Zodiac is BBM was released in December (only limited) and it went wide in January....it was a good thing because of the Oscar season...it already had its foot in the door and was well know!  It was capitalizing off of its critical success!   But with Zodiac - if they plan to release it initially in January that is in fact a bad time for movies and the box office!  AND it won't be considered a 2006 movie therefore will not be able to capitalize on the 2006 Oscar season boost....like BBM! 

Look at this chart http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=01&p=.htm  Notice that the highest opening ever in January is 35 million.....now look at Mays...see the difference?

And yes Titanic opened a little late...but it wasn't in January...it was in December...right in the heart of the holiday season...

Trust me...this is what I do for a living....January is not the best time for movies!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 10:57:39 pm »
I'm not judging a movie by when it opens...who ever judged the movie?

The difference between BBM and Zodiac is BBM was released in December (only limited) and it went wide in January....it was a good thing because of the Oscar season...it already had its foot in the door and was well know!  It was capitalizing off of its critical success!   But with Zodiac - if they plan to release it initially in January that is in fact a bad time for movies and the box office!  AND it won't be considered a 2006 movie therefore will not be able to capitalize on the 2006 Oscar season boost....like BBM! 

Look at this chart http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=01&p=.htm  Notice that the highest opening ever in January is 35 million.....now look at Mays...see the difference?

And yes Titanic opened a little late...but it wasn't in January...it was in December...right in the heart of the holiday season...

Trust me...this is what I do for a living....January is not the best time for movies!

I bow to your expertise Chris, but isn't May also opening month for summer blockbusters?  Kinda hard to compare the winter movie season to that isn't it? 

After all, whatever anyone thought - most critics liked it - 'Cinderella Man' opened in the summer and died a quick death.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 11:13:12 pm »
I bow to your expertise Chris, but isn't May also opening month for summer blockbusters?  Kinda hard to compare the winter movie season to that isn't it? 

After all, whatever anyone thought - most critics liked it - 'Cinderella Man' opened in the summer and died a quick death.

Yes...May-Jul (summer) and Nov-Dec (fall) are the best times for movies...thats exactly why I'm confused about why they are releasing it in January...

There original plan was Nov 22...so it seems weird to me...

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:35:48 am »
Heath's movie "Candy" --although op-ening everywhere befroe here (apparently, Australia goes the long way around) will be in time...GodDAMN..no Jake till 07. Oh well, I may be dead by then, who knows?
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:58 am »
Heath's movie "Candy" --although op-ening everywhere befroe here (apparently, Australia goes the long way around) will be in time...GodDAMN..no Jake till 07. Oh well, I may be dead by then, who knows?

I'm excited to see Candy!  But from the sounds of it, it may be too dark for the pussies at the AMPAS!!!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 03:27:35 pm »
That's still odd as that's when movies like BBM opened nationwide, in the first week of January. Of course, they'd already had their premiere in the coastal cities in December to make it to the Oscars.  Then again, did they think a movie about a serial killer isn't exactly the perfect holiday movie?  Oh well, they put up Christmas tree decorations in some rather grim films, Die Hard, to let you know it's still December.

There was alot of buzz about ALL THE KING'S MEN, but that got pushed back to this year. I was interested because it was a remake of a movie that already won best picture. How often does that happen, a remake of a film that's already received top awards. A glut of political films last December, maybe they thought better to wait.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 03:29:19 pm »
That's still odd as that's when movies like BBM opened nationwide, in the first week of January. Of course, they'd already had their premiere in the coastal cities in December to make it to the Oscars.  Then again, did they think a movie about a serial killer isn't exactly the perfect holiday movie?  Oh well, they put up Christmas tree decorations in some rather grim films, Die Hard, to let you know it's still December.

There was alot of buzz about ALL THE KING'S MEN, but that got pushed back to this year. I was interested because it was a remake of a movie that already won best picture. How often does that happen, a remake of a film that's already received top awards. A glut of political films last December, maybe they thought better to wait.

Yeah...you can probably bet that this years Oscars are gonna be filled with blockbusters and 'fun' films...after the ratings slipped last years with the politically driven noms...