Author Topic: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...  (Read 11553 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: OT: Kind of bad news for Zodiac/Jake fans...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:18:03 pm »
NOPE...because its being released in 2007...so it will be eligible for the 07/08 Oscars in a year and a half...but not the ones coming up in February....

It was originally being release in November...right at the beginning of the Oscar seaons for that reason...but I'm not sure what the motivation is now...doesn't make sense to me...

It could be a lot of reasons. Rumor has it that David Fincher is very perfectionist. Who knows. Maybe he wants to reshoot a few scenes and some of the actors aren't available until later. It could be a problem with the distribution.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:24:05 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 05:18:16 pm »
I know, because if it's up for the next oscars, then now it might be released so early that it will be forgot about by the time the oscars role around.  It seems like a really bad position to put the movie in.  Of course, making a movie isn't all about winning an oscar, so maybe they aren't concerned, but still...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 05:20:26 pm »
I just popped over to Oscarwatch to check the buzz on this, and it sounds like there's a scene being re-shot this summer. So I guess that's the reason.

But January? Isn't that when disappointing movies get dumped, while all the Christmas limited release stuff goes wide?  :-\
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 05:22:08 pm »
I thought some January movies still made it in time for the oscars... isn't that what happened with Cinderella Man?? I could be really really wrong though...

And yeah, January is usually where the disappointing movies get dumped
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 05:27:25 pm »
I thought some January movies still made it in time for the oscars... isn't that what happened with Cinderella Man?? I could be really really wrong though...

And yeah, January is usually where the disappointing movies get dumped

Nope...Cinderella Man was released in 6/05...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 05:33:11 pm »
I know, because if it's up for the next oscars, then now it might be released so early that it will be forgot about by the time the oscars role around.  It seems like a really bad position to put the movie in.  Of course, making a movie isn't all about winning an oscar, so maybe they aren't concerned, but still...

Yeah I'm surprised....this person among 4 other people that I found listed it in her 2006 Oscar predix for Best Picture nominations...

Susan Wloszczyna -

The Departed
Marie-Antoinette
Dreamgirls
Zodiac
The Good German

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 05:35:44 pm »
But January? Isn't that when disappointing movies get dumped, while all the Christmas limited release stuff goes wide?  :-\

Yeah January-May is the WORST time to release a film!  Everyone is broke from X-mas celebrating and films have hardly any success...so I don't know whats up with that...

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 11:09:40 pm »
 :) I believe it can be showing in a limited number of theatres i.e. LA, NY, Chicago in December, and still be eligible for Oscar consideration - maybe this is what is going to happen and it will open wide in January ??? ???

by December, I will need a strong Jake-fix - at least we have a Heath-fix soon................... :D
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 11:45:08 pm »
:) I believe it can be showing in a limited number of theatres i.e. LA, NY, Chicago in December, and still be eligible for Oscar consideration - maybe this is what is going to happen and it will open wide in January ??? ???

by December, I will need a strong Jake-fix - at least we have a Heath-fix soon................... :D

Yep...its has to be playing in a Los Angeles theater for 7 days in order to be eligible...so if they release it in limited in Nov-Dec then yes I can be...we'll see I suppose...

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 01:40:12 am »
It's been very difficult to wrap my head around David Fincher being talked about in association with Oscar.  Back in the day, he was extremely talented, but immature.  Years earlier, before I became acquainted with him, he had dropped out of high school to go work at Skywalker Ranch with Lucas. While his commercial works are bright, smart and refined, I have been a little stunned (not disappointed) that his filmwork is so dark.

A most apropos director for "Zodiac".
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"