Author Topic: How long were you on the IMDb boards?  (Read 15404 times)

EnnisDelMar

How long were you on the IMDb boards?
« on: March 31, 2006, 12:48:58 am »
Just out of curisosity.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:20:31 pm by EnnisDelMar »

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: How long were you on the IMDb boards?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 12:50:19 am »
I've been registered at IMDb a lot longer than BBM was out - I have to post my movie reviews somewhere!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:56:40 am »
I posted my first post in the Brokeback board in September......as you know Brandon....but I've been on IMDb for a LONG time...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:51:39 am by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 01:50:20 am »
I joined IMDB when I got an invite to screen "The Aviator".  Wanted to find a review of it before I committed to screening it.  I wrote a good review, then forgot my username.  Then remembered my username, then forgot it again. 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 01:56:46 am »
I joined IMDb the first time way back in the X-files days and posted on that board and the board for the X-files movie. I started posting on the BBM board back in September right after the Venice Film Festival and the Golden Lion win.
Chris and I were posting when there was only one page of posts and about 15 other posters and we knew everyone by name. LOL ;D

Surf

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:56:58 am »
Around the time Brokeback won the Golden Lion at Venice, when was that, last August? (That's just Brokeback, not IMDB, IMDB since February 16th, 2001)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:58:33 am by Surf »

Offline lcalee

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 01:59:37 am »
I had been checking the progress of BBM for some time.  I don't think I posted on the BBM board (although I had on others) until about a year ago.

TheStudDuck

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 02:01:45 am »
I've been posting at the IMDb since November 23rd, 2001.
I've been posting about Brokeback Mountain since January 10th, 2006.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 02:03:19 am »
Hey Lee hows it goin?  

Yep you're a veteran too.........I remember your 'Weekend Crowd Reports' on the big board.....

I remember when Brandon invited Mandy, Vic, Hilary and I to the Tremblay board.....we were the first there and then we spread the word.....now look!  Aside from the trolls and stuff its worked out pretty well......

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 02:09:31 am »
I hit the IMDB board the day after I saw BBM in late January.  I needed serious time with others to make sure I didn't go insane freaking out over the movie.  I discovered I wasn't insane - I was normal.  I started BetterMost mostly because I needed to focus on moving beyond just the film itself, which is what most of the discussion forums were doing.  I knew there'd be a day when we'd get over the movie itself, and I didn't want to lose momentum in taking all that emotional energy I had gotten from the film and making positive changes in my life.  I knew I needed a place where I'd have others to lean on and vice-versa along the way, so I created this site.  I realize this movie is going to be like our first love - we'll get over it on one level but at the same time we'll never get over it.

I reduced my time on IMDB mostly to nurture this site, but I checked in on Pierre's forum after being invited by yaadpyar I think.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 02:11:40 am »
What was your screen name on IMDb Phillip?  I'm tryin to remember if I remember you...

Was it Phillip?   :)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 02:14:34 am »
What was your screen name on IMDb Phillip?  I'm tryin to remember if I remember you...

Was it Phillip?   :)

Almost as creative... it was dampier, my last name.  I suck at handles, what can I say.  I started my involvement by launching a computer bulletin board back in 1986 and have been involved in this online communications thing ever since.  Except my handle has always been my real name.  I suppose deep down I see more built-in credibility when someone puts their name on something they write.  Yeah, that's the best excuse I can come up with for having zero creativity in the handle department.  :)

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 02:16:11 am »
ROFL.....hey makes things simple and cuts down on confusion right?  ;D

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 02:36:48 am »
My IMDb profile says I registered last July, but I don't even remember that. I started posting on the BBM board after seeing it in January, then I moved to the Tremblay board after getting an invite (I think that was only a few days after it was started).

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 03:22:46 am »
I started on IMDB right after seeing BBM for the first time. that was mid December. Have been going there everyday since.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 12:06:13 am »
I started IMDB around Dec. 20th.  The (legit) posts were real helpful in dealing with all the emotions and questions about the film.  Could have done without the trolls, but if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 12:31:16 am »
I started on IMDb for the movie 'Alexander'.  That was early in 2005, I don't recall what month.  February maybe?

I was there very ferociously for a few months, then I had to go onto my other fandoms;  the last Star Wars movie came out in May and I was on TF.net for the entire summer, then in the fall, I went to another board for another interest, then in November, I think it was, I saw a trailer for BBM, got all bent out of shape and hit IMBd running full throttle.

I still visit there.  Went to the 'DaVinci Code' boards, but they're crazier than the BBM boards.

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 01:22:42 am »
I remember going to IMDb (before I knew about the message boards I think) back in the late 90's, to look at actors' filmographies and biographies....but it wasn't until I saw Before Sunrise last year that I began to really read message boards. I stayed up a few nights reading the boards for both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (two of my favorites) but it never got "out of hand" so to speak.

Then I saw Brokeback opening night on December 9th, talked about it with my friend for an hour and a half, got up the next day and spent the whole weekend on IMDb, seeing names like dellaluvia, rtprod, slayers creek oth, hibbler, and sweetlilgygy for the first time :) .....the longest I stayed away since then was probably during the holidays. I missed a couple days around my birthday in February, too. Otherwise, pretty much attached at the hip.
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:46 am »
IMDb -> registered on : 7 JUNE 2001
BBM -> first posts in : DECEMBER 2005 (but they are gone..)
PT -> joined on : 7 MARCH 2006
BMost -> joined on : 31 MARCH 2006

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 11:57:15 am »
I've been going to IMDb for as long as I can remember, it's *such* a great resource once you wade through the crap.  But I think I registered in June 2005 because it started requiring me to do so to read the boards.

I first went to the BBM board on Jan. 1, 2006, the day after seeing it for the first time!  I think my first post there was shortly afterwards, but it's gone from my history.  I was fortunate enough to get rescued to PT about a week before the Oscars - thank god, because I don't know how I would have survived Black Sunday without it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:58:54 am by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 04:01:01 pm »
December...I saw the previews..it opened in SF on the 16th. Aaron Mcgruder devoted a whole weeek to it in "The Boondocks," while it was crossing the Bay. Saw it on Berkeley--drawen by the previews and McGruder spending so much time on it--on December 23..I was already posting on the "Mysterious Skin" and "Barbarian Invasions" boards, so i went a-lookin' for Brokeback Mountain...and suddenly it was part of my "miserable life."
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 06:19:11 pm »
I enjoyed other movies on that board but BBM is just too hot of a topic over there. Too many fights.Too many young teenagers running the board. Telling us grownups what we can do and can not do. Also very clicky
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

TJ

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 12:37:14 pm »
I really don't know how to answer the question; because I joined some "IMDb" board for the discussion of the Movie Brokeback Mountain. And, I don't even remember when I did it. I never left what I joined; I just became too confused on how to read the forum discussions of BbM.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:15 am »
I THINK it is safe to say this here. After all, it seems troll free thanks to the good work of the Moderators! Congratulations by the way! And THANK YOU!

I actually joined IMDb several years ago. I was posting on the Philadelphia board and had some terrible experiences with the trolls over there. Bad experiences. (I was Davidindy1 back then just in case anyone remembers). Anyway, I ended up deleting my account and recreating it under David-Indiana. I took a break from it, and started posting at the Brokeback Mountain board in March, I think.

I sure wish I would have listened to Kudzudaddy and Vicky a few months ago. It is so much nicer here. I still  post to IMDb. But, it is getting to be less and less every day. Soon I  suppose,  I  will cease to exist over there. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 12:59:28 am »
I still am on the IMDb boards. The main post that I was working on "The Art Which Transcends Art" has been untouched by trolls and is still a relatively active thread. New brokies are posting on it everyday (and some welcome critics).
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 01:04:23 am »
I still am on the IMDb boards. The main post that I was working on "The Art Which Transcends Art" has been untouched by trolls and is still a relatively active thread. New brokies are posting on it everyday (and some welcome critics).

Daniel, who are you over on IMDb (your user name)? Have we posted to each other before? Anyway, I sure am glad to hear at least on thread remains troll free. Try to  keep it that way if you can.... and good luck to ya! ;)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 01:12:53 am »
I am sunmoonstars-1.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 01:17:26 am »
I am sunmoonstars-1.

Well I will keep my eye peeled for you over there on IMDb. I sure am glad to see you over here though! :)

gattaca

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 01:16:09 pm »
I'd used IMDB as a general resource for years but never posted any commentary. I'm not usually a contibutor in these forums (until now).  And then I became completely immersed in BBM of course and started reading the boards there but still did not post anything. I more or less springboarded from there over to BetterMost. :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 01:30:39 pm »
I remember sunmoonstars, Daniel! I liked your posts. Glad you're here.

I saw Brokeback in late January and started desperately scouring the internet the next day -- rottentomatoes, the official movie site, etc. I had long used imdb as a reference source, but it didn't occur to me to look at the message boards at first because on previous brief glances at their boards I had found them skimpy and not particularly interesting. When I finally got around to checking them out, maybe a week later, I was SO glad to discover a community of people who appeared to feel the same way I did but, trolls aside, seemed perfectly normal and intelligent and sane (or if not, at least insane in the same way I was).

Eventually I started delving into previous posts of posters I liked, which led me to PT -- a posters supergroup! Nobody invited me, but I just barged in and started posting (hope nobody here minded, and perhaps has been harboring secret resentment ever since ...  ::)). When everyone decamped to BetterMost, I followed.

After that, I glanced back at imdb now and then, but felt less and less need to do so as the weeks went on. These days I only look at it when somebody here points out a particularly interesting thread.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 03:29:21 pm »

Eventually I started delving into previous posts of posters I liked, which led me to PT -- a posters supergroup! Nobody invited me, but I just barged in and started posting (hope nobody here minded, and perhaps has been harboring secret resentment ever since ...  ::)). When everyone decamped to BetterMost, I followed.

Katherine - you were welcome at PT, and so much so here too.  No invite needed...was and remains a self-selecting group.  If you feel like you belong, then you undoubtedly do.

And David925 - if I haven't said so already, it's great to see you over here finally.  We've been tapping our toes, twiddling our thumbs and tipping our hats to you, wondering when you'd join us for some fun.

Glad y'all are here.  Time for coffee and cherry cake all around.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 03:31:12 pm »
Yee Haw, pour out the coffee and slice the cake. It's time for a Brokeback Sit Down!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 07:14:46 pm »
Katherine - you were welcome at PT, and so much so here too.  No invite needed...was and remains a self-selecting group.  If you feel like you belong, then you undoubtedly do.

Thanks, Celeste!  :D I figured by now I had earned my keep, if only in sheer number of words/posts. (And actually, I have always felt right at home at BetterMost!   :-* )

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 02:37:00 am »
i only stayed on imdb for a day or two, then i found out about Bettermost...but before imdb, i was on yahoo for nearly four months...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 11:05:17 pm »
I was never on IMDB, but I did participate in Yahoo! since I have an account there.  These two places seem completely overrun by trolls.  What a site would tolerate it, I have no idea. At the Atlanta meetup, I heard some of the IMDB horror stories, and I must say I'm glad to have a safe space to express myself.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:13:35 pm by TexRob »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2006, 03:29:11 am »
I was never own IMDB, but I did participate in Yahoo! since I have an account there.  These two places seem completely overrun by trolls.  What a site would tolerate it, I have no idea. At the Atlanta meetup, I heard some of the IMDB horror stories, and I must say I'm glad to have a safe space to express myself.

I am happy to see you over here too TexRob. You are correct. There are some terrible horror stories from IMDb. Many of us have lived them. Welcome to Bettermost! :)

Offline TexRob

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2006, 11:17:18 pm »
I am happy to see you over here too TexRob. You are correct. There are some terrible horror stories from IMDb. Many of us have lived them. Welcome to Bettermost! :)

Thanks, David.  I'll never understand why major sites would allow that kind of behavior. When I get the chance, I'll really enjoy catching up to some of the interesting discussions going on here.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2006, 09:21:08 pm »
6 months!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:42 pm »
"I'll take a cup a coffee, but I can't eat no cake just now."

The first boards I was ever on was IMDb and that was after I saw BBM and was so anxious to 'talk' about the movie. I wasn't on very long - a couple a months - when I got disgusted by the trolls. I tried Dave Cullen's site but found it a big overwhelming. Someone on IMDb sent me a PM telling me about BetterMost. And it was just right!

"Your card said the divorce came through. So...here I am."

BETTERMOST BETTERMOST BETTERMOST BEANS
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:09:41 pm by coffeecat33 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 10:56:54 pm »
"I'll take a cup a coffee, but I can't eat no cake just now."

The first boards I was ever on was IMDb and that was after I saw BBM and was so anxious to 'talk' about the movie. I wasn't on very long - a couple a months - when I got disgusted by the trolls. I tried Dave Cullen's site but found it a big overwhelming. Someone on IMDb sent me a PM telling me about BetterMost. And it was just right!

It's kind of like a "Goldie Locks and The Three Bears" story.

She tried the big sized IMDb board and it was too trollish.

She tried the middle sized Dave Cullen board and it was too complicated.

But when she tried the little sized Bettermost board, it was juuuuuuust right.

Welcome to Bettermost!   :)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 10:49:11 am »
Never been there.  Never even heard of it until I was on BetterMost.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 07:15:52 pm »
A new posting will allow this thread to become newly active again, maybe

I have NEVER been a chatter, never posted on boards until, maybe 2 weeks after finding & reading verociously other posts on IMDb/BBM in mid January. Registered as one of the first 10 members here, but didn't make the big move here until the DVD release on/around the 4th of April. Haven't been back to THAT board in over 4 months now! (& I certainly don't miss it!)
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer