Author Topic: OT: Britney Spears Ongoing Career Revitalization Plan  (Read 31547 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
OT: Britney Spears Ongoing Career Revitalization Plan
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:16:11 am »
That's my opinion, at least. I never watch the Today show and I rarely watch Dateline so I will probably miss Brit's upcoming interview with Matt Lauer. It sounds like it will be so excruiatingly bad it will be funny, tho.

Here's a quote:

Britney Spears has told NBC's Matt Lauer that she will move to Namibia "in the near future" to prepare for the birth of her second child, a daughter who is due in "late September or early November." Breaking down in tears during the interview, which will be broadcast Thursday on the Today show and Friday on Dateline, Ms. Spears said she is "an emotional wreck" right now. She blames the paparazzi and the false tabloids for her fragile state of mind.

Jeez, what is Namibia becoming the ob hospital to the stars? Please. And the baby is due in late September or early November? Um, what happened to October, Brit? You got something against birthing babies in October?

Another pearl of wisdom from the brainless Ms. Spears:

Mr. Lauer did ask Ms. Spears why she had chosen Namibia for the birth of her child.

"Kevin has always been a fan of African-American culture," she replied. "I'm sure he'll feel at home there, rapping with all the natives. Besides, there's lots of quiet unpaved roads where Sean Preston and I can go driving."

I am sure Sean Preston, at less than 12 months old, really enjoys driving as a form of entertainment. Especially when he is in his mother's lap when she is behind the wheel.

Why do I read this crap? LOL

L
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:08:49 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: Britney Spears is an idiot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:13:52 am »
Why do I read this crap?

The same lame reason I do...LOL

Hmmm....I've always thought she's an idiot but you just confirmed my beliefs...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:18:28 am »
The same lame reason I do...LOL

Hmmm....I've always thought she's an idiot but you just confirmed my beliefs...

Wasn't the woman he was involved with (and had two kids with) a person of color? I believe she is. "Rapping with the natives"? Omigod...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:19:24 am »
Wasn't the woman he was involved with (and had two kids with) a person of color? I believe she is. "Rapping with the natives"? Omigod...

Yep....Shar Jackson or something like that...and yes she was African American...

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:47:22 am »
Jeez, what is Namibia becoming the ob hospital to the stars? Please.

Apparently, especially when you throw in the fact the government will actually run press/tourist visa applications by the stars and let them unilaterally say "yes" or "no" to them, just as what happened with the last celebrity couple.  How nice that Hollywood stars now decide who gets into Namibia and who stays out!  That big check to the hospital system may have had something to do with it....

"Kevin has always been a fan of African-American culture," she replied. "I'm sure he'll feel at home there, rapping with all the natives. Besides, there's lots of quiet unpaved roads where Sean Preston and I can go driving."

Oh no she didn't.  "The natives?"   :o

K-Fed is to rap what Lawrence Welk is to heavy metal.  Ms. Spears can't manage the average LA freeway without bringing Child Protective Services into it.  Unpaved roads in Namibia?

The only possible good news here is that they get lost and the "natives" decide to do the world a major favor and not give them directions back.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:58:10 am »
I just love the title of the thread.. :laugh:

Angelina has started a trend ... giving birth in Africa!
Now everyone who is not too busy converting to scientology or Kaballah (or whichever 'religion' is trendy now) can jump on this band wagon! LOL!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:00:36 pm by Lucise »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 12:08:04 pm »
Now everyone who is not too busy converting to scientology or Kaballah (or whichever 'religion' is trendy now) can jump on this band wagon! LOL!

LOL....no joke!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:18:30 pm »

The only possible good news here is that they get lost and the "natives" decide to do the world a major favor and not give them directions back.

I'm on my knees and praying...please God, make this happen! Make this come true!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 12:29:09 pm »
I just love the title of the thread.. :laugh:

Except the only part of it that was "giving birth in Africa" was the geography. Apparently, they flew a whole team of US doctors/nurses/techs etc. over to due the delivery; paid a fortune to have an OR/labor/delivery room built in the hotel. The whole thing is completely ridiculous.

People here know what I think of "Brangelina." This quote (from an article in the New York Times about Jennifer Aniston) sums it up perfectly, for me:

Meanwhile, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, perfecting their mastery of the media, have gone from adopting children to adopting a whole country, Namibia. Remarkably, the press has swooned for this stunt, recasting the cad and the femme fatale as humanitarians instead of two people who brought along their Los Angeles obstetrician and who knows how many other loyal retainers to Africa to stage-manage their baby's birth.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 09:03:04 pm »

Except the only part of it that was "giving birth in Africa" was the geography. Apparently, they flew a whole team of US doctors/nurses/techs etc. over to due the delivery; paid a fortune to have an OR/labor/delivery room built in the hotel. The whole thing is completely ridiculous.

People here know what I think of "Brangelina." This quote (from an article in the New York Times about Jennifer Aniston) sums it up perfectly, for me:

Meanwhile, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, perfecting their mastery of the media, have gone from adopting children to adopting a whole country, Namibia. Remarkably, the press has swooned for this stunt, recasting the cad and the femme fatale as humanitarians instead of two people who brought along their Los Angeles obstetrician and who knows how many other loyal retainers to Africa to stage-manage their baby's birth.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think lnicoll?

So what if they brought their own doctors with them?  Wouldn't most of us like to do that when we travel to foreign countries if we could?  Especially one where the medical services are not up to what we would like?

It isn't just Africa.

A relative of mine - a U.S. citizen - was living in Germany and went into labor in the middle of a snowstorm.  In the local hospital she was rushed to, she was given a midwife to help her with the birth.  I think this is standard in Germany.  Anyway, she didn't want a midwife!  She wanted a DOCTOR.

In another case, I forgot who it was, but some ice skater idolizes a fellow ice skater who's from Russia because while at an event there, she became extremely ill and went to a local hospital.  Not exactly the place you want to be ill - a country - at the time - known for re-using syringes and not having antibiotics.  This fellow skater showed up at the hospital with his personal physician and his own personal stock of medical supplies to help her out.

Seems Angelina can't win.

She announces she's having her child in Namibia - people are criticizing her about the poor health care and danger she's putting herself and her soon-to-be-born child in.  So she decides to bring her own doctor.  Now the criticism falls that bringing her own doctor is a 'stunt' or part of her 'posse'.

Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

Spending and donating millions in a country that sorely needs the money isn't a 'stunt'.  Angelina was giving money to humanitarian causes - becoming a citizen of Cambodia - long before she met Brad or got pregnant.  The New York Times sure has a short memory.

Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't...

OT:  Britney is an idiot.  She needs to cut her losses - KFed - and start reworking her image as a sane professional as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:05:51 pm by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 10:46:04 pm »
That's a bit harsh, don't you think lnicoll?

Perhaps it is, but we've had this argument before, Del, and it seems to be a place where we must just agree to disagree. You have very strong opinions about Ms. Jolie and Mr. Pitt, I have equally strong opinions about both of them but in the opposite direction. That's fine...we're never going to find a common ground on this.

OT:  Britney is an idiot.  She needs to cut her losses - KFed - and start reworking her image as a sane professional as soon as possible.

On this, we seem to be in closer agreement although I am not sure she is smart enough to do the sort of image reworking that is necessary.

L

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 10:47:10 pm »
On this, we seem to be in closer agreement although I am not sure she is smart enough to do the sort of image reworking that is necessary.

L

Agreed!  Its too late for her now...

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 10:49:49 pm »

LOL -- ouch, but that was great!  Thanks for the laugh.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 07:24:28 am »

Thank you Phillip, for the biggest laugh I've had all day.

Least we all agree on Britney. And it being too late for her to salvage credibility.  Although, i can't get too smug. She's a multi-millionaire who can't string a sensible sentence together if her life depended on it.  I've got two degrees and - thanks to the 3 airfares I recently had to purchase - only have about $800 to my name..  :-\

*sigh*
Chut up!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 07:46:48 am »
Thank you Phillip, for the biggest laugh I've had all day.

Least we all agree on Britney. And it being too late for her to salvage credibility.  Although, i can't get too smug. She's a multi-millionaire who can't string a sensible sentence together if her life depended on it.  I've got two degrees and - thanks to the 3 airfares I recently had to purchase - only have about $800 to my name..  :-\

*sigh*

I sincerely hope she has good financial advisors since it appears she is spending money like water and it all appears to be going OUT with none coming IN....

Latest gossip--the stupid husband is living in the basement and Britney has gotten herself a "manny"--27 year old graduate of the US Naval Academy. Excuse me, I thought they were supposed to join the Navy after graduating from Annapolis??

LOL

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 08:37:48 am »

Ahhh Britney... She - like the Spice Girls - is living proof of the magic of good marketting. And clever spin doctors. She fired the lot and her appeal quickly disintegrated from "trim, saucy teeny bob queen" to "dumb white trash".

*shakes head*
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 09:03:26 am »
Mr. Lauer did ask Ms. Spears why she had chosen Namibia for the birth of her child.

I can't believe she actually said that. Rapping with all the natives!? WTF?

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 06:21:14 pm »
Ah, Phillip, you're the best.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 02:40:11 pm »

i love how to many Americans, African-American and African are one and the same. Never mind the fact that the two cultures exist on two different continents and have evolved independently for the last 2-3 centuries. They're all black, so they must be the same?
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 06:20:43 pm »
Yes Nipith, this reminds me of a discussion I had with a British friend that went kind of like...

Andrew: "My friend John is coming over."
Sarah: Oh, is he the one I met?
Andrew: No... this John is Asian.
Sarah: Oh.  You mean like Asian-British or actually from, like, China or Japan?
Andrew: Huh? No, he was born in London, but his parents come from New Dehli or somewhere.
Sarah: So you mean he's Indian.  Or Anglo-Indian.
Andrew: Um, well, he's Asian.
Sarah: Oh.  To me, "Asian" means East-Asian.  Or maybe Southeast Asian.  What do you call people from, say, Vietnam?
Andrew: Oh, they're Chinese.

Oy vey!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 10:11:39 pm »
i love how to many Americans, African-American and African are one and the same. Never mind the fact that the two cultures exist on two different continents and have evolved independently for the last 2-3 centuries. They're all black, so they must be the same?

I think that's the fault of the change in self-identifiers - from negro/colored to black to Afro-American to African American.  From Mexican-American to Chicano to Hispanic/Latino...

Who is making these changes is what I want to know.

One man changed his name to a run-of-mill African name, even though he really had no clue on what part of Africa his ancestors were from.  When asked why he did so, he replied, "Well, I sure as shit knew I wasn't Irish (his 'official name')."  O0

I took a Cultures of Africa class and watched a contemporary African film, filmed in Africa about African people.  It was just a typical type of drama-edy movie about working class people, one of the funny parts was in a scene where a group of friends are talking about their futures.  One young man talks about coming to America, his plan to get here, his dreams etc. and when he commented "Even the blacks there have money -"

His friend interrupts him "African Americans."

The guy is puzzled, "What?"

"They call themselves African Americans."

The guy stares at his friend like he's crazy, "Since when?"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:13:11 pm by delalluvia »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 10:15:09 am »
Yes Nipith, this reminds me of a discussion I had with a British friend that went kind of like...

Andrew: "My friend John is coming over."
Sarah: Oh, is he the one I met?
Andrew: No... this John is Asian.
Sarah: Oh.  You mean like Asian-British or actually from, like, China or Japan?
Andrew: Huh? No, he was born in London, but his parents come from New Dehli or somewhere.
Sarah: So you mean he's Indian.  Or Anglo-Indian.
Andrew: Um, well, he's Asian.
Sarah: Oh.  To me, "Asian" means East-Asian.  Or maybe Southeast Asian.  What do you call people from, say, Vietnam?
Andrew: Oh, they're Chinese.

Oy vey!

he he. names are funny. they can be simply labels, or they can shape the way we understand the world.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 10:22:35 am »

Yes, Nipith, didn't you know??   :P

Oh, the coup de grace on racial ignorance, for me, surfaced during a tutorial, ironically enough on multiculturalism in schools (when I was studying for my teaching degree). Each of us in the group was given a case study and then had to comment on what we'd do if faced with a cultural clash in our classrooms. And this girl, Nadine, was given a case study on a child from Singapore. Her thoughts:

Nadine: God, if only Michelle were here today..
Mark: Why?
Nadine: She could help me.
Mark: How?
Nadine: Cause she looks like she'd know what to do here.
Sheyne: How?
Nadine: Well, she's Asian.
Mark: She's Australian.
Nadine: No, but she's got Asian eyes.
Sheyne: What's that got to do with Singapore?

I actually ended up calling her a bimbo, which got me into more trouble than a 3rd year Bachelor of Education student who apparently cannot tell China or Japan from Singapore. But Australia is unfortunately famed for its racism.

Racial ignorance is one thing that annoys the hell out of me. I train with "asian-looking" guys, who've lived here all their lives, as have their parents, yet people are always giving them the "go back to where you came from" garbage. Their comeback is "I've never left Australian shores in my whole life, let alone come from anywhere else, so exactly where the **** do you want me to go, dickhead?"
Chut up!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 04:32:45 pm »
Yes, Nipith, didn't you know??   :P

Oh, the coup de grace on racial ignorance, for me, surfaced during a tutorial, ironically enough on multiculturalism in schools (when I was studying for my teaching degree). Each of us in the group was given a case study and then had to comment on what we'd do if faced with a cultural clash in our classrooms. And this girl, Nadine, was given a case study on a child from Singapore. Her thoughts:

Nadine: God, if only Michelle were here today..
Mark: Why?
Nadine: She could help me.
Mark: How?
Nadine: Cause she looks like she'd know what to do here.
Sheyne: How?
Nadine: Well, she's Asian.
Mark: She's Australian.
Nadine: No, but she's got Asian eyes.
Sheyne: What's that got to do with Singapore?

I actually ended up calling her a bimbo, which got me into more trouble than a 3rd year Bachelor of Education student who apparently cannot tell China or Japan from Singapore. But Australia is unfortunately famed for its racism.

Racial ignorance is one thing that annoys the hell out of me. I train with "asian-looking" guys, who've lived here all their lives, as have their parents, yet people are always giving them the "go back to where you came from" garbage. Their comeback is "I've never left Australian shores in my whole life, let alone come from anywhere else, so exactly where the **** do you want me to go, dickhead?"

Oh I know what you mean Sheyne. It's so unfortunate. I've dealt with situations similar to the one you described above. Once I was in Pennsylvania at a store and wanted to pay with my credit card. The sales person asked me for an ID, so I gave her my driver's licence from Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico has been a commonwealth of the US for over 100 years. We speak spanish there, but it's a US territory and we are US citizens. She refused to accept it claiming that it was from a foreign country. I explained to her about PR, but she didn't believe me, and demanded that I show her my passport. I told her that I didn't have it with me, and she refused to let me pay with the credit card, saying that she wasn't allowed to sell anything to a illegal immigrant! I demanded to see the supervisor who knew about Puerto Rico and my ID was accepted.

I couldn't believe what was happening to me and in Pennsylvania! because on the east coast everyone knows about Puerto Rico and the Puerto Ricans. There are 3 millions in NY alone. I was very surprised that she didn't know.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 06:37:10 pm »
I couldn't believe what was happening to me and in Pennsylvania! because on the east coast everyone knows about Puerto Rico and the Puerto Ricans. There are 3 millions in NY alone. I was very surprised that she didn't know.

I think that is just an example of someone who didn't take full advantage of her school's curriculum when she had the opportunity. ::)

For you Americans out there, I was in the drive-up of a fast food place not too long ago and as I was paying, the clerk guy turned to me and asked, "Do you know where Las Vegas is?"

And thinking there was probably more than one Las Vegas and maybe he was asking what route to take, I started, "Las Vegas, Nevada, right? -"

And he narrowed his eyes at me and said, "Las Vegas, Nevada?  Is that in California?"

:-\

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 07:36:27 am »
I know we commented on this thread that Britney needed to do some major overhauling to re-establish her career. Apparently, this is step no. 1.  This will be the August cover of the magazine.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 04:52:21 am »
I can't believe this picture of Britney didn't generate some comment!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: Britney Spears is baring it all in her career revitalization plan
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2006, 06:04:26 am »

Ahhhhh.... our favourite little Mensa-candidate is at it again...

:laugh: :laugh:
Chut up!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2006, 01:05:31 pm »
I can't believe this picture of Britney didn't generate some comment!

Cause it's a 'been there done that' sort of thing from back in the Demi Moore pregnant days.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: Britney Spears is baring it all in her career revitalization plan
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 07:45:07 pm »

Oh you got that right, Del. 

After a while it was like "Demi Moore naked?" 

*yaaawn*
*stretch*
"Neeeext!"
Chut up!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: OT: Britney Spears Ongoing Career Revitalization Plan
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:26 pm »
I haven't posted anything on our friend Britney for awhile but she's had a busy few months. First a baby, then the announcement of a divorce, and then lots of partying....lots and lots of partying. So much so that it appears her friends and family staged an intervention and got her to go to rehab, where she lasted for 24 hours.

She got back to LA and decided she needed a new look and some new tattoos...

You can read more here:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainment/story?id=2883542&page=1

Offline opinionista

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2007, 01:22:43 pm »
I haven't posted anything on our friend Britney for awhile but she's had a busy few months. First a baby, then the announcement of a divorce, and then lots of partying....lots and lots of partying. So much so that it appears her friends and family staged an intervention and got her to go to rehab, where she lasted for 24 hours.

She got back to LA and decided she needed a new look and some new tattoos...

You can read more here:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainment/story?id=2883542&page=1

I saw it on People online where they cheerfully document Britney's process of becoming bald. They have actual pictures of Britney shaving her head. I'm not sure if Britney has an actual case of drug/alcohol abuse. Partying a lot doesn't necessarily means you are hooked on drugs or alcohol. It seems to me this is nothing but a publicity stunt. She's about to launch a new album, and is seeking as much publicity as she can get. There's no such a thing like bad publicity, is there?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2007, 01:41:38 pm »
Thanks for that photo tip, Natali...from People:

As for good vs. bad publicity...I don't think her antics of late are necessarily helping her career!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 08:19:13 pm »
Well, ole Brit might be a bald drunk and a fool throwing her career down the drain with her constant stupidity, but she sure has privileges!!!!

Britney Almost Missed Flight Back to L.A.
MONDAY FEBRUARY 19, 2007 03:15 PM EST

By Steve Helling

An out-of-breath and disheveled Britney Spears almost lost it when she learned she might miss her flight to Los Angeles on Friday, an eyewitness tells PEOPLE.

Carrying two small bags, Spears, 25, ran through Miami International Airport to catch her American Airlines flight. But when she arrived at the gate and handed her boarding pass to the ticket agent, she was informed that the walkway had been retracted from the plane and the flight was closed.

"She was really upset," says David Paulsen, a passenger at an adjoining gate. "She (said) to the agent, 'I've got to get on this plane to get home to my kids.' She looked like she was about to cry."

Paulson says the ticket agent called the pilot and requested that Spears be allowed on the flight: "'I've got Britney Spears here and she wants to get on the plane.'" After a pause, the agent said, "'No, I'm serious. Can we get her on the plane?'" A few seconds later, the agent smiled and nodded to Spears, and the walkway was extended again.

When Paulson later approached the ticket agent about Spears, he was told that it was, indeed, the pop star and she had gotten one of the very last seats on a full plane, with first class entirely booked.

An American Airlines spokesperson tells PEOPLE that it's not unusual for the airline to allow late arrivals on the plane as long as it doesn't delay the flight. The final decision is left up to the cockpit crew and gate agents.

As a visibly relieved Spears was about to board the plane, Paulson says, she stopped to give an autograph to the agent, and then turned to the crowd of onlookers and waved. "'God bless!'" she said, as she got on the plane.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20012207_20012293,00.html

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 09:05:22 pm »
Unless she has a hit song sometime soon, that might be the last time she gets a plane to re-open its doors for her....

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 04:55:05 am »
Her life just keeps getting more and more bizarre.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 09:00:11 am »
An interesting commentary from the BBC:

Mark of a woman
By Denise Winterman
BBC News Magazine

That pop star Britney Spears is having a few problems, few would disagree. But after months of reckless behaviour, shaving her head is seen as her most shocking act yet. Why?

It's been a hectic few months for Britney Spears since filing for divorce. Forgetting to wear knickers on numerous nights out, swapping clothes and partying with strippers, drinking in the street, smoking too much, driving with a baby on her lap - we've all seen the pictures.

But after all the gloating and mocking in the media, the once virginal pop star has crossed the line of what will be tolerated - she shaved her head at the weekend.

For most it is conformation that her life is in free fall, that she is on the edge of a breakdown and in need of help. But why is shaving her locks equated with losing her mind, and why does it still have such a power to shock?

Any significant social movement in recent history has been characterised by hair, be it a punk rocker's Mohican or a hippy's centre-parted locks. It is unusual for a clique or a group not to use hair to make a statement.

"Hair is so significant because of what it is and where it is," says Dr Martin Skinner, social psychologist at the University of Warwick.

Bad hair day

"It is part of us, much more intimate than things like clothes. If you cut it away, you are cutting away a bit of yourself. Whatever we do with it is very much part of our identity."

In Britney's case the act holds so much symbolism because her blonde locks were her trademark. The cultural significance of a woman's hair means it is one of the most public sanctions that can be imposed on them by themselves or others, say psychologists.

So why is hair - particularly long hair - viewed as such a defining part of a woman and inextricably linked to femininity?

Zoologist Desmond Morris says a women's penchant for long hair could be a remnant of the age when our ancestors were apes - a female's long locks gave her babies something to hang on to.

In recent times, he argues that women have styled their hair to reflect their self-image, with long hair suggesting a certain availability.

Nature also plays a role. People are programmed to take notice of hair because it is a secondary sexual characteristic.

Graceful

"Thick, healthy, long, glossy hair or fur is seen as a sign of good hormonal health and is one of the things animals use to select a mate - humans are no different," says evolutionary psychologist Nick Neave, of Northumbria University.

Why long hair is so linked to femininity could come down to many things, say experts. It is about youth, health, grace and movement.

Just look at shampoo advertisements, typically featuring models swinging their long, glossy locks. And look at how much the average women spends on her hair - £600 a year, according to one study. Men spend just £90.

How this association started is not so easy to answer, but it has been entrenched in what is seen as the feminine for centuries, says psychologist Lorraine Sherr. "As far back as cavemen, there are drawings of women with longer, glossier hair."

Historically a shaven head has always had meaning - and in a woman's case, mostly negative. It has been used a badge of shame, often linked to sexual promiscuity. During World War II, for example, French women who fraternised with German soldiers were punished by having their heads shaved.

The reason why it is still so shocking is because it steps outside what society considers to be "the norm".

"When a woman does something like shave her head it is not what society would expect of her, or dictates to her," says psychologist Simon Moore. "People don't like it because they don't know how to act, they don't know what it means.

"By shaving her head Britney Spears has put herself outside of the box marked 'pop princess'. Before it was one of her defining features and now she is flying in the face of that girlie image."

To make sense of such an act, society falls back on more stereotypes and labels. When Natalie Portman shaved her head for a film role, she felt the reaction would be entirely predictable: "Some people will think I'm a neo-Nazi or that I have cancer or I'm a lesbian."

Illness

A shaved head being a "cry for help" or a sign of illness are "acceptable" reasons and people know how to respond. Television presenter Gail Porter went from dizzy lads' mag favourite to dignified woman after her hair loss was revealed to be down to alopecia.

Looking for any other reason would involve thinking, something people just don't have time to do in today's hectic world.

"We rely on visual cues to make snap decisions," says Mr Moore. "People lead busy lives and like anything that allows them to make judgements quickly. Hair is a hugely important cue."

Nicki Hastie, 37, shaved her head nearly 20 years ago in what she describes as "an act of self-love" which makes her feel alive and attractive.

"It's not an act of self-loathing or being mad or close to the edge," she says. "It's about doing something for yourself, despite all the pressures out there to conform."

Reactions over the years have ranged from shouts of "Sinead" and "GI Jane" to people laughing out loud in the street.

"We need to widen what's acceptable for women and men, and accept there are different layers of femininity and masculinity in one person."

She says far from it being a sign of losing control, maybe Britney shaving her head could be an attempt to empower herself.

Hair is often used as a prop to declare a change and the start of a new chapter in a life - it is just a very extreme way of doing it. But then Britney's life, played out in front of us all, has never been normal.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:15 am »
The woman is having a melt-down that's for sure.

About the plane letting her on after it had already retracted the walkway...I bet she was flying first class.  This happens quite a bit.  There are several stories about people rushing to catch planes that are pulling away and begging to be let on.  The first question almost always asked is 'Are they first class passengers?'.  If yes, the plane returns, if you're a coach, enjoy the wait until you can catch the next flight.  :P  Money certainly has its privileges.

Shaving her head...   ??? ??? ???  The gods know what the woman was thinking.   It was probably impulse.  This is the same woman who dyes her hair brown in the morning, panicks, then wants it back to blonde by evening.  Cuts it short in the evening, then wants it long the next day.

Well, there's no going back from a shaved head.  She's stuck with wearing hats and wigs and scarves for a while.

As for:

And look at how much the average women spends on her hair - £600 a year, according to one study. Men spend just £90.

Well, maybe if hair salons charged the same for short hair as they do for long, maybe my hair care bill would be a lot less expensive than it is now.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 07:40:36 am »
Apparently, as of today, Britney is back in rehab. She checked herself into an undisclosed rehab facility in Los Angeles.

Now we'll see if this lasts longer than the in-and-out rehab visit of last week.

L

Offline David

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 07:52:20 am »
You can take the girl out of the Trailer, but you can't take the trailer out of the girl. 

how sad.    She was so pretty and talented.   I thought when she dumped FedEx that she was finally coming to her senses.

She needs to quit smoking, quit drinking, forget about the tattoos, find a nice wholesome clean cut guy and take a few years off from touring so she can be with her child.  Oh yeah, and remedial driving lessons and how to use a baby seat properly.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 07:06:25 pm »
Oh Britney .. She will definitely lose everything if she continues like this.

What did K Fed do this woman?  She is supposed to be getting her life together, not wrecking it! *sigh*
The problem, IMO,  is not the shaved head .. it is only hair, it'll grow back (plus, who says only long hair is attractive?  ;) )
The issue is with the drinking and smoking and incessant partying .. all that ontop of the fact that she is the mother of 2 children both under 2 years of age..  I hope she cleans up her act and quick..

In the mean time, has anyone heard the song "What goes around comes around" by Justin Timberlake ..
Methinks he is pining over her in that song ..
Lord knows he woulda been better for her than K Fed .. ANYTHING would've been better than K Fed .. ::)

Excerpt from the lyrics ..

Hey girl, is he everything you wanted in a man?
You know I gave you the world
You had me in the palm of your hand
So why your love went away
I just can't seem to understand
Thought it was me and you babe
Me and you until the end
But I guess I was wrong

You spend your nights alone
And he never comes home
And every time you call him
All you get's a busy tone
I heard you found out
That he's doing to you
What you did to me
Ain't that the way it goes ..

Oh boy ..

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 07:17:42 pm »
Apparently, as of today, Britney is back in rehab. She checked herself into an undisclosed rehab facility in Los Angeles.

Now we'll see if this lasts longer than the in-and-out rehab visit of last week.

L

And apparently she signed herself out again.

Oh Britney .. She will definitely lose everything if she continues like this.

In the mean time, has anyone heard the song "What goes around comes around" by Justin Timberlake ..
Methinks he is pining over her in that song ..
Lord knows he woulda been better for her than K Fed .. ANYTHING would've been better than K Fed .. ::)

Excerpt from the lyrics ..

Hey girl, is he everything you wanted in a man?
You know I gave you the world
You had me in the palm of your hand
So why your love went away
I just can't seem to understand
Thought it was me and you babe
Me and you until the end
But I guess I was wrong

You spend your nights alone
And he never comes home
And every time you call him
All you get's a busy tone
I heard you found out
That he's doing to you
What you did to me
Ain't that the way it goes ..

Oh boy ..

Beautiful song Lucise.  I could only hope Justin was singing for Brit.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 07:19:08 pm »
Well, the latest is that she has checked herself out of rehab, once again, less than 24 hours after admission.

Apparently KFed said he would get her hair "tested" (presumably for drugs or other substances) and use this is as "evidence" in the custody dispute that is now underway. That is what prompted the head shaving. But how realistic is that anyway? I wonder what exactly he thought he was going to find in her hair?

Reading about her, and seeing the pictures of all that is going on, is really like watching a train wreck in slow motion....

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2007, 07:22:05 pm »

Beautiful song Lucise.  I could only hope Justin was singing for Brit.

It is a good song actually .. I like it.
JT says that it is the best song he ever wrote .. I am so sure it is about her ..

Reading about her, and seeing the pictures of all that is going on, is really like watching a train wreck in slow motion....
I fear I must agree ..  :-\

Offline opinionista

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2007, 07:50:49 pm »
Well, the latest is that she has checked herself out of rehab, once again, less than 24 hours after admission.

Apparently KFed said he would get her hair "tested" (presumably for drugs or other substances) and use this is as "evidence" in the custody dispute that is now underway. That is what prompted the head shaving. But how realistic is that anyway? I wonder what exactly he thought he was going to find in her hair?

L

I read somewhere, I think it was on People, some psychiatrist expert saying Britney is showing clear sings of having an extended postpartum depression. She gave birth in September so it is possible. I don't know how long these things last but I guess it depends on the woman. And considering that Britney had a tough year while pregnant, her constant run-ins with the paps, the divorce and such, it is possible that she is simply depressed. Anyway, the man said he thinks she isn't getting the attention she needs. So it is possible that she doesn't belong in rehab. The truth is that partying doesn't mean you are an alcoholic or hooked on drugs. Besides, compared to Lindsay Lohan for example or Paris Hilton, Britney hasn't been partying that hard. At least publicly. But who knows. Like I said in previous posts this could easily be a bad publicity stunt. I'm going to try to find the link to post it. I don't recall exactly where I saw it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:53:41 pm by opinionista »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:06 pm »
Well, I couldn't find the news item containing the expert analysis on Britney but I did find Gawker's response to it. It's hilarious.

Star magazine and its ilk are always asking "experts" like "New York-based psychologist Dr. Cooper Lawrence" to weigh in on the pressing tabloid issues of the day. With Britney Spears just now apparently checking herself out of rehab, AGAIN, WTF, we wanted in on the action! So we called up Robert Wolski, MD, an honest-to-goodness Manhattan-based board-certified psychiatrist, and asked him to explain the people who explain Britney. Our conversation with Dr. Robert actually ended up helping us work through a few of our issues; we hope you'll find reading it equally therapeutic.

Gawker: So I guess what I'm calling about is, you know how Star and Us Weekly and the Today show are always asking pyschological experts to analyze celebrities who they've never met or treated?

Dr. Robert: Yes.

Gawker: Well, I was wondering if you could tell us why the doctors do this.

Dr. Robert: I really think it has more to do with their ratings. It's mostly for entertainment value. [Britney's breakdown] has been blown completely out of proportion.

Gawker: Well, yes, totally. But I am really more wanting to know why doctors -- you know, board-certified, practicing psychiatrists, like yourself -- share their speculative assumptions about celebrities with gossip magazines and entertainment news TV shows. Why do they do it?

Dr. Robert: These people offer some semblance of respectability...

Gawker: But what motivates them to offer it?

Dr. Robert: Wellllll, they're probably fulfilling some need of their own, for fame. They're seeking the attention of the public at large.

Gawker: [excited] And what are some reasons that a person could engage in fame-seeking behaviors?

Dr. Robert: It's their own insecurities -- their lack of a sense, probably, of fulfillment in their own careers. [Pause.] It's funny because, that's what I'm doing right now, speculating. I don't know these people!

Gawker: Oh, but it's okay because this is different! So what's up with Dr. Phil? I hate him!

Dr. Robert: Dr. Phil is a very special man. He likes the recognition. I mean, what makes an actor enjoy being in public? Some say it's the art. But it's approval-seeking. I have a feeling that Dr. Phil has always been sort of extroverted. But I don't know his birth order or anything. See, I don't know anything about him! I shouldn't speculate.

Gawker: [Sigh.] Well, thanks!

http://gawker.com/news/britney-spears/expert-analysis-britney-spears-out-of-rehab-238459.php

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2007, 10:34:58 pm »
I read somewhere, I think it was on People, some psychiatrist expert saying Britney is showing clear sings of having an extended postpartum depression. She gave birth in September so it is possible. I don't know how long these things last but I guess it depends on the woman. And considering that Britney had a tough year while pregnant, her constant run-ins with the paps, the divorce and such, it is possible that she is simply depressed. Anyway, the man said he thinks she isn't getting the attention she needs. So it is possible that she doesn't belong in rehab. The truth is that partying doesn't mean you are an alcoholic or hooked on drugs. Besides, compared to Lindsay Lohan for example or Paris Hilton, Britney hasn't been partying that hard. At least publicly. But who knows. Like I said in previous posts this could easily be a bad publicity stunt. I'm going to try to find the link to post it. I don't recall exactly where I saw it.

Well said.  I agree.  I was thinking she's having a meltdown, not sure why, but then again, think of the pressures on her.  She's in the middle of what looks like a rough divorce.  That's hard on anyone, much less a young woman who's not used to failure.  And she has to do it in front of millions of viewers.  She's the mother of two young children.  Possibly one was an oops and was unplanned, but she had it anyway. More stress.  She's made her living on her stage shows and music.  She hasn't put out anything new in years, her fan base is aging - and so is she - she can't afford to be off the charts for very long or she won't be able to get back on - she has trouble getting the weight off so that she can go back to performing, she has the demands of two children and lawyers, her ex and probably her mother nagging at her constantly, so knuckling down and being disciplined and staying on a diet/exercise program when she's pretty much now on her own is probably too much for her.  Her life probably seems like one big job.  She wants to have some enjoyment in life, so she leaves off the exercise and work and eats Big Macs and when her jeans start getting too tight, she decides to go out partying.  I'm surprised people criticized her partying. 

How often is she out?  Once a week?  Twice?   That's much less than most of my college buddies used to do or young co-workers do now.  She has two young children?  They went to sleep at 7 pm and she didn't leave them alone in the house, so it matters little right now in their lives that she isn't home a couple of nights out of the week.

The panty-less thing was stupid.  For a great many years I never wore underwear if I couldn't help it.  It isn't the fact of not wearing underwear, its the problem of getting caught not wearing underwear.  Many people who don't wear underwear also don't have a bevy of paparazzi snapping pictures with their every step.  Many people don't wear underwear, you just don't know it.

It seems more and more like she is suffering some sort of post-partum depression and the media coverage and criticism of her every move makes things worse.  It's difficult being the butt of everyone's jokes.

injest

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2007, 11:02:51 pm »
I agree with everything you said, Del...but the thing with the undies...I just want to say that you look at what you are wearing out...it is like bras. If you are wearing a halter dress you don't wear a reg bra under it. If you are wearing a dress that BARELY covers your private parts you put on a pair of panties. Common sense. And she KNOWS that the papparazzi are out there WAITING to catch her...If she was pantyless with a pair of jeans we wouldn't care. (and the paparazzi wouldn't have made any money off her.)

The other thing is she is choosing her companions very badly. I mean really...Paris Hilton? Is there anyone left on the planet that isn't aware of how cruel Paris is? Am I the only one who sees how she starts crap and then sits there laughing at people?

How anyone can be so stupid as to go out with that shark deserves what they get. I learned in HIGH SCHOOL that if someone will be cruel to one friend they will be cruel to all their friends.

In fact that is what this whole mess feels like...high school.

just sad.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2007, 11:30:39 pm »
I agree with everything you said, Del...but the thing with the undies...I just want to say that you look at what you are wearing out...it is like bras. If you are wearing a halter dress you don't wear a reg bra under it. If you are wearing a dress that BARELY covers your private parts you put on a pair of panties. Common sense. And she KNOWS that the papparazzi are out there WAITING to catch her...If she was pantyless with a pair of jeans we wouldn't care. (and the paparazzi wouldn't have made any money off her.)

The other thing is she is choosing her companions very badly. I mean really...Paris Hilton? Is there anyone left on the planet that isn't aware of how cruel Paris is? Am I the only one who sees how she starts crap and then sits there laughing at people?

How anyone can be so stupid as to go out with that shark deserves what they get. I learned in HIGH SCHOOL that if someone will be cruel to one friend they will be cruel to all their friends.

In fact that is what this whole mess feels like...high school.

just sad.

Panty issue conceded.  I didn't see how short her dress was.

As for picking companions...Did the skank pack actually GO to high school?  Aren't most of them drop-outs?  They're learning what we learned then, now.  So yeah, they're all acting like clique-y high schoolers because they didn't go to high school I reckon and get that childishness out of their systems. 

injest

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 11:36:22 pm »
Panty issue conceded.  I didn't see how short her dress was.

As for picking companions...Did the skank pack actually GO to high school?  Aren't most of them drop-outs?  They're learning what we learned then, now.  So yeah, they're all acting like clique-y high schoolers because they didn't go to high school I reckon and get that childishness out of their systems. 

we went from the 'rat pack' to the 'brat pack' to the 'skank pack'

*sigh*..

Offline opinionista

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 08:45:25 pm »
Well, it seems that Britney is back in rehab. Apparently, K-Fed's move to ask for an emergency custody court hearing had a wake up call effect on her. I hope she stays there all the time she needs and put all this silly drama to rest.

Britney Spears Back in Rehab

Britney Spears has returned to rehab, PEOPLE has confirmed.

Mark Vincent Kaplan, a lawyer for Spears's estranged husband, Kevin Federline, confirmed through a spokesman that the pop star has entered a treatment facility – and that a custody hearing over the couple's two sons has been canceled

According to the spokesman, no emergency papers will be filed as had been planned in the custody matter.

On Wednesday evening, Spears drove to Federline's house in the San Fernando Valley, where she had a confrontation with a photographer who was among a group of paparazzi following her. Amid the commotion, it was not clear if the singer ever spoke to her estranged husband. Spears's mother, Lynne, was also spotted at the scene.

TMZ.com first reported that Spears had gone back to rehab.

On Tuesday, Spears, 25, entered the Promises rehab facility in Malibu, only to check out the following day.

Leaving the clinic "was against their advice," a source told PEOPLE Wednesday.

Before entering rehab, Spears had a wild weekend of alarming behavior – capped by the night she shaved her head.

Last week, the singer also visited Eric Clapton's Crossroads Centre in Antigua but left after just one day and headed to Florida, a source told PEOPLE on Friday.

"She spent a fair amount of time there, about two hours," says a local source. "She walked around and checked it out."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20012207_20012646,00.html

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 09:03:31 pm »
She shaved her head because K-Fed threatened to have her hair taken for samples for drug-testing.

Now i know why K-Fed keeps his head shaved.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2007, 08:16:39 am »
She shaved her head because K-Fed threatened to have her hair taken for samples for drug-testing.

Now i know why K-Fed keeps his head shaved.

Ha ha, good point.

In all of this, I worry about the children. And excuse me for being blunt, but that man needs a vasectomy.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2007, 01:19:24 pm »
The latest: another melt-down and into rehab, once again...

Britney Spears snapped overnight, lashing out at a photographer's car, before reportedly going back into rehab.

The website x17 has posted photos and a video of the troubled bald-headed pop star battering the snapper's vehicle with an umbrella before stomping off.

The website says the incident happened after she went to  her ex-husband Kevin Federline's San Fernando valley home and got no answer when she rang the bell.

The site reported that Federline later met Spears. They  reportedly agreed that he would keep their two young children while Spears was in rehabilitation, a program that takes between 30 and 45 days.

An appearance in US family court sought by  Federline was cancelled and Spears has returned to the Promises Malibu Treatment Centre, according to reports from TMZ, The Insider and Extra. Her mother, Lynne Spears, drove her daughter to the centre, Extra and The Insider said.

"Kevin continues to be a very focused father with his children with hands-on management," said a statement from Kaplan, read by his publicist Michael Sands.

The events came amid increasingly bizarre behaviour by Spears, which culminated with the pop star reportedly checking into and out of two rehab centres in a week and shaving her head bald.

Federline sought spousal support and sole custody of Jayden James, five months, and Sean Preston, 17 months, after Spears moved to end their two-year marriage in November, but a temporary order issued February 1 granted joint custody through this month.

Spears previously left the Promises centre yesterday, according to The Insider, less than a day after arriving. The centre specialises in treating drug and alcohol abuse.

Last week, she reportedly sought treatment at a centre in the Caribbean but also checked out after a day.

The next day, she arrived at a San Fernando Valley hair salon, grabbed an electric razor and shaved her head bald. Afterward, she visited a tattoo parlour, where she had a pair of red-and-pink lips inked onto her wrist. Then she went out clubbing with friends before apparently checking into Promises.

Whether her recent behaviour will damage her recording career is hard to say, said Vibe magazine music editor Jon Caramanica.

Spears, whose 1999 debut album Baby One More Time sold more than 13 million copies, hasn't released a new album since 2003. Before her troubles began she had promised one this year, and Caramanica suggested that might be a good outlet to address what she's going through.

"I think the best thing she could do is make an album that engages with this subject matter in some way," he said. "Not only to have a good album but to have an album that's a declaration of emotional health."

Offline opinionista

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2007, 01:45:29 pm »
Well, she isn't really the only celebrity to go crazy at the paps. I actually understand her. If I were her, I would've mashed those windows with something stronger than an umbrella... I know, I know I'm an hypocrite LOL since I actually enjoy seeing the paps pics but oh well such is life. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2007, 01:49:12 pm »
From Gawker:

New pix have emerged of Britney Spears attacking a paparazzo's car with an umbrella on Wednesday night. We think the Daily News is kind of sexist to characterize this as a 'freakout' -- when male celebs attack photographers, they're just being 'assertive.' It's not fair.

I have to agree with this. They're right.

http://gawker.com/news/gossip/gossip-roundup-when-britneys-attack-239105.php

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2007, 01:59:33 pm »
Yes, I worry about her children as well. Who is looking out for them if she's out partying and checking in and out for rehab.  I know she's in the spotlight even more with the death of Anna Nicole Smith. The vultures are circling so to speak, to see if she self-destructs.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2007, 02:09:36 pm »
One report I read said that KFed and Britney's mom have put aside their differences for the moment to take care of the kids. Let's hope they are getting the care they need.

And Natali, I agree...there is a double standard.

L

Offline opinionista

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2007, 02:16:36 pm »
On the other hand, Britney must have hired nannies and all kind of help. I don't think her children have been in any kind of danger, really.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2007, 02:10:17 am »
The kids are probably fine.  Social services would be poking around if there was even a hint of neglect in such a high profile situation.  The grandmothers wouldn't let it get that far.

The idea that K-Fed is trying to come across as father of the year is laughable.  Maybe they should have Shar Jackson tell everyone what a great father he is.  ::)

Gawker made an excellent point about the double-standards applied to women who react with violence instead of tears against the paparazzi.

injest

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2007, 02:14:02 am »
The kids are probably fine.  Social services would be poking around if there was even a hint of neglect in such a high profile situation.  The grandmothers wouldn't let it get that far.

The idea that K-Fed is trying to come across as father of the year is laughable.  Maybe they should have Shar Jackson tell everyone what a great father he is.  ::)

Gawker made an excellent point about the double-standards applied to women who react with violence instead of tears against the paparazzi.

I mean!! good grief...

Offline opinionista

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2007, 03:21:32 pm »

Believe it or not, Shar Jackson does defend him! I was suprised after what he did to her. She assures K sperminator Federline is a great dad.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2007, 06:30:24 pm »
Believe it or not, Shar Jackson does defend him! I was suprised after what he did to her. She assures K sperminator Federline is a great dad.

Ye gods.  I guess that 15 minutes of fame is too much to resist.  The definition of a great father?  A man who takes off and abandons you and your unborn child when he meets a hot rich famous babe.  A man who lets said rich famous babe pay his child support.   ::) ::) ::)

Makes you wonder what a great father he would be if the camera wasn't on him 24/7.

injest

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2007, 08:20:11 pm »
Ye gods.  I guess that 15 minutes of fame is too much to resist.  The definition of a great father?  A man who takes off and abandons you and your unborn child when he meets a hot rich famous babe.  A man who lets said rich famous babe pay his child support.   ::) ::) ::)

Makes you wonder what a great father he would be if the camera wasn't on him 24/7.

see this is something I can't understand...there are 4 billion + people in the world. That is the BEST they can do? I mean, Britney has looks, fame, money...and THAT is the best she can get??????

OY!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2007, 06:22:22 pm »
Poor Britney...she is still in rehab and the latest report is that she attempted to commit suicide Saturday night. Oh my...

Britney Spears, in rehab and on the road to recovery, may have suffered a set back when she supposedly tried to hang herself on Saturday night.

The “Slave” singer, who recently checked herself into rehab, reportedly penned the number “666” on her newly shaved head and then yelled “I am the antichrist,” followed by “I’m a fake, I’m a fake” a source told British tabloid, The News of the World.

She then tied a sheet to a light and then around her neck, according to the paper, but paramedics arrived before she was hurt. The staff at Promises Clinic has not commented if this was an actual suicide attempt or just a cry for help.

The same source went on to say that Spears, 25, has spent several hours each night on the phone with estranged husband, Kevin Federline, and wants to get back together with the Super Bowl commercial actor/WWE wrestler.

Rumors are flying that Spears is still in love with Federline and wants to have another child with him in order to secure their marriage. Spears and Federline spent two years married and already have two children, 18-month-old Sean Preston and 5-month-old Jayden James. Spears filed for divorce in November.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2007, 12:16:39 pm »
So, while Britney is busy rehabbing and supposedly trying to end her life, her estrange husband is using all the publicity he can get by playing good Dad in front of the media. According to People, Kevin is such a loving, responsible and wonderful parent, that he didn't hesistate to take his two babies to Las Vegas and was even late to a dinner because he didn't want to leave before tucking them to bed. Awww! 

These sort of stories reinforces the double standard imposed by the media on this case. Britney, who probably has a bad case of baby blues, is portrayed as the mentally ill mother who needs rehab for trying to have a social life and attacking a papparazzi (who probably deserved it) with an umbrella  and now is even sucidal. Meanwhile the sore loser she has for a husband is portrayed as such a great father. They forgot to mention that shortly after the second baby was born he was out partying, and touring all over the place, trying to build a non existent career. Why didn't he stay home, helping Britney out with their two babies?

It's not fair. I feel bad for the kids though.

Here's the scoop on K-Fed playing dad.

Kevin Federline Takes the Kids to Vegas
MONDAY MARCH 05, 2007 07:25 PM EST

By Mark Gray and Jennifer Garcia

While Britney Spears remained in rehab, Kevin Federline headed to Las Vegas over the weekend – with the kids.

Federline was in town for a long-planned paid appearance at the Mirage Hotel & Casino lounge Revolution, sources tell PEOPLE.

"Kevin was really low-key," one source says. "You could definitely tell he was on his best behavior. He was having a good time, but wasn't the wild, crazy Kevin who used to come to Vegas."

He arrived on Saturday with Sean Preston, 18 months, and Jayden James, 6 months, plus a nanny, his mother and brother and two bodyguards, sources say.

He had dinner with friends and family at the hotel's Japonais restaurant, says a source, who adds: "He was late for dinner because he wanted to tuck his kids into bed."

By midnight, he was relaxing at a VIP table at the Revolution with a group of friends who included Las Vegas comedian Jeff Beacher.

Spears's rehab ordeal, says a source, has matured Federline.

"He wakes up with a purpose each morning and has enjoyed his family being around him," says the source.

A rep for Federline declined to comment.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20014118,00.html

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2007, 05:09:28 pm »
Gag.  Yeah opinionista I saw that too and I also have been seeing how he's playing the media for all it's worth.

At least Britney has a real probability of an excuse - she may very well be suffering post partum depression.

Fed-Ex has no excuses for his behavior.

The 'compared to Britney, the man's a saint' is crap.  Yeah, I guess he and his lawyer want everyone to forget his abandoning his pregnant girlfriend, partying and off on publicity jaunts while still married and a father, buying pot from a drug pusher/friend in the driveway of their own home and other various stunts throughout the last two years...but we're supposed to buy what a great father he is. Yeah, right.  ::)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2007, 05:15:26 pm »
Lordy, poor Britney indeed!
When I heard the attempted suicide thing - I figured it was just a tabloid thing.  :-\

I think most people know that K Fed is milking the spot light for all its worth .. plain and simple.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2007, 05:19:21 pm »
Brooke Shields Reaches Out to Britney Spears

Actress Brooke Shields has offered help to Britney Spears, after reports claiming the troubled singer is suffering from postpartum depression.

Reports last week claimed Spears had been reading Shields' 2005 book "Down Came The Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression" during her current stay at the Promise rehab center in Malibu, California.

Shields wrote the book after successfully conquering postpartum depression with the help of counseling and the anti-depressant Paxil following the birth of her first child Rowan in 2003.

Shields tells the TV show Access Hollywood, "I hope she's fine. I believe she's going to be fine, and she just needs the support and her kids. She's their only mom, and she'll earn that back in her own mind.

"(If she is suffering from depression) then it really needs to be reckoned with, and it's very common, and she'll get through it.

"If (Britney) is reading my book. I hope it's helping her. If it's not, and she wants to talk to someone, I'm available. She is followed every moment of her life, and she's documented every minute of her life."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2007, 05:26:10 pm »
Let's hope Tom Cruise doesn't get in on the act!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2007, 05:41:27 pm »
Let's hope Tom Cruise doesn't get in on the act!!

lol .. crossed my mind when I read that.

injest

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2007, 07:43:18 pm »
If a baby was gonna 'secure' a marriage wouldn't the two she already have be enough?? Why would she think a THIRD would make a difference one way or the other??

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:53 pm »
If a baby was gonna 'secure' a marriage wouldn't the two she already have be enough?? Why would she think a THIRD would make a difference one way or the other??

The thing with these articles is that we don't know "the source" that is supposedly sharing this info with the tabloids .. lol
I mean, my guess is that half the time, "the source" is inexistent and the material is purely based on rumours ..

injest

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2007, 08:16:06 pm »
The thing with these articles is that we don't know "the source" that is supposedly sharing this info with the tabloids .. lol
I mean, my guess is that half the time, "the source" is inexistent and the material is purely based on rumours ..

oh I understand...but I know too many women with that attitude to let it pass without comment!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2007, 10:04:15 am »
And in the ongoing saga, we have this tidbit of news:

KEVIN FEDERLINE has shaved his head in support of his troubled wife BRITNEY SPEARS.

Kevin, 28 — who is divorcing pop star Britney — told pals at a party in Las Vegas the crop was to honour his missus.

One said: “He said he still loves her.” Britney, 25, shaved off her hair in a dramatic public breakdown and is in rehab.

The pair are in a bitter custody battle over their two young kids.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007100523,00.html

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2007, 12:46:22 pm »
I love how you read british tabloids Leslie!!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2007, 12:50:17 pm »
I love how you read british tabloids Leslie!!

Always searching for the dirt, you know...

Actually, I find the British tabs are the ones with pictures!

L

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2007, 09:24:06 pm »
And in the ongoing saga, we have this tidbit of news:

KEVIN FEDERLINE has shaved his head in support of his troubled wife BRITNEY SPEARS.

Kevin, 28 — who is divorcing pop star Britney — told pals at a party in Las Vegas the crop was to honour his missus.

One said: “He said he still loves her.” Britney, 25, shaved off her hair in a dramatic public breakdown and is in rehab.

The pair are in a bitter custody battle over their two young kids.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007100523,00.html

L

What another media positive spin on I'm-a-great-dad-and-loving-husband Federline.  ::)

Considering the guy has had his head shaved on other occasions as a fashion statement, I don't see how this is a big sacrifice for him.  Also keeps her from testing his hair for drugs, eh?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2007, 09:34:37 pm »
What another media positive spin on I'm-a-great-dad-and-loving-husband Federline.  ::)

Considering the guy has had his head shaved on other occasions as a fashion statement, I don't see how this is a big sacrifice for him.  Also keeps her from testing his hair for drugs, eh?

Very very good point....and supposedly that is what he threatened Britney with....

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2007, 05:06:11 pm »
so what do we think.. of this??

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2yf6u_new-britney-spears-mtv-2007_music

Firstly, put some more clothes on - you don't have such a fab bod and of-course people are going to compare you to years gone by. And its well tarty anyway.

Does she not have a stylist for aher hair and clothese these days btw?!

And where is her energetic dance routiones these days!?!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2007, 05:40:36 pm »
Thanks for linking to this. It's been removed from UTube and I was really curious since it's being damned as a disaster and disgrace all over the place.

I guess the dance routines or rather complete lack thereof is the result of an - ahem-  irregular lifestyle. The tiny clip I've seen before was clearer and she looked "not quite there" during the performance. She didn't even manage the lip-sync. Not easy to do dance acrobatics in that situation.

I agree with you about the tartyness of the costume.... and the wig, oh well.

But apart from that I think she looks good. Surprisingly so, after having gone through nearly 18 months straight of pregnancy and 2 childbirths, and a lot of heavy partying. I really appreciate seeing a woman with some curves, and some flesh on her bones,  - not at all like the other many, many utterly emaciated anorectic-like celebrity chicks. I hope she stays that way - but otherwise gets her life and carreer back on the tracks somehow.

moremojo

« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2007, 05:58:02 pm »
She's getting a bit too old to successfully pull off this bad-girl, hoochy spiel on which she's built almost her whole career. What I've seen of her latest performance, I would describe her as listless--it's not exactly a train wreck, but hardly scintillating either. Always a mediocre singer at best, her voice is so incredibly overproduced, and her songs are absolute twaddle--total fluff that will probably be almost completely forgotten in ten years or so.

She definitely seemed off her game on this latest outing, and I think she's just being exposed for the near-talentless, empty-headed person she has been all along.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2007, 06:21:14 pm »
I have been reading all the gossip on Britney and like a train wreck in slow motion, I just can't stop reading. On one hand I feel sorry for her; on the other hand, her was her chance for her big comeback and she totally flushed it down the toilet. She obviously makes one bad decision after another. Why can't someone in her entourage give her a good shake and tell her to wake up? Clearly she has surrounded herself with "yes-men" (and women) whose major interest is their self-interest and making money off the phenom that is "Britney."

The bloggers are predicting that she'll come back from this disaster...I don't know. It certainly seems like she buried herself six feet under on Sunday night.

L

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2007, 06:30:40 pm »
I never saw the awards or her performance but she sure is getting a lot of publicity about it.  Even if it is not positive. She could use that to her advantage somehow.. The fact that she is in the news everywhere and people can't stop talking about her shows that people are still interested.  Otherwise why would they care?  She seems to have staying power in the media..

In any case, look at this picture.. My point:
She is not fat.  I have read a few comments about that.. I mean, come on..
Outfit is not the best, but she is a healthy size .. let's give her props for that.

moremojo

« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2007, 06:38:28 pm »
I agree, Milli, she is not fat, and actually displays a reasonably healthy-looking body one would associate in a woman maturing into her late twenties who has borne children on top of everything else. I think it's simply the disjunct between a mature body such as we see here and the near-anorectic, adolescent-type figures that have passed as exemplary of feminine beauty in our culture for so long now, that is causing the comment here.

I do not think that outfit is at all flattering to her; again, I think she would serve herself well to adopt a more mature style more consistent with her years and position in life, and to leave behind the naughty-girl persona her people have cultivated so assiduously for most of her adult life. But Spears has always been about a manufactured image, and I honestly wonder if she has the intelligence and personal insight to forge her own look and identity.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2007, 06:47:56 pm »

I do not think that outfit is at all flattering to her; again, I think she would serve herself well to adopt a more mature style more consistent with her years and position in life, and to leave behind the naughty-girl persona her people have cultivated so assiduously for most of her adult life.

I agree.  :) 

It is exhausting to read the paper and see all these young actresses going to jail for this that and the other.  Dang.
Why can't we hear more about the ones who have their businesses in order?!  Would be so refreshing for when I glance at the Entertainment section of the morning paper!  Alas, such is our celebrity-obsessed world..  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2007, 06:51:09 pm »
From the Globe and Mail....interesting commentary since we are on this issue:

Britney's bod: Was the criticism fair?

JOCELYN NOVECK

Associated Press

September 11, 2007 at 2:04 AM EDT

NEW YORK — The consensus is clear: Britney Spears performed like she was sloshing blindfolded through mud at MTV's Video Music Awards. No one disputes that the troubled pop princess royally mangled her much-heralded comeback.

But what about the nastiest comments of all — those about her body? “Lard and Clear,” read Monday's headline in the New York Post. “The bulging belly she was flaunting was SO not hot,” wrote E! Online. And so on.

Was it fair? Did Spears, lest we forget a mother of two, deserve to be held up against the standard of her once fantastically toned abs, sculpted by sessions of 1,000 tummy crunches? Or was she asking for it by choosing that unforgiving black-sequined bikini?

More profoundly, in an age where skinny models and skeletal actresses are under scrutiny for the message they're sending young girls, what does it say that we're excoriating a young woman for a little thickness in her middle?

Certainly people were curious to see her. The show drew 7.1 million viewers Sunday, up 23 per cent over last year's VMAs, and was the highest-rated cable program of the year among people aged 12 to 34, according to Nielsen Media Research.

On the morning after what the VH1 channel called Spears' “already historic” performance, the blogosphere was buzzing with opinions. For every “fat” comment there was an impassioned retort. “Give her a break,” wrote one blogger on Aboutthink.com. “The girl's had two kids — I hope I'm a size 10 after having kids!”

“OK, she isn't fat,” wrote another. “But she isn't fit enough to be wearing (or not wearing) what she is.”

For many observers, the issue was not so much the body, but the body in that outfit.

“In that ensemble, you just can't have an ounce of anything extra,” said Janice Min, editor of the celebrity magazine US Weekly. “Many women wouldn't eat for days if they were wearing that.”

“Did she look better than 99 per cent of women? Yes,” added Min. “But compared to her earlier form, she probably didn't look as good.”

Besides, said Min, “Britney Spears has always been about the whole package. It's never been 100 per cent about the talent. Is it sexist? Probably, but she's built a career on an image of sexiness.”

Talk of Spears' physique comes amid an increasingly critical focus on overly skinny actresses in Hollywood, who've largely replaced supermodels as the world's fashion plates. It's hard to pick up a celebrity magazine without a critical photo of, say, Angelina Jolie's birdlike arms. And curvy actresses are getting positive attention, from Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson of “Dreamgirls” to Golden Globe-winner America Ferrara of TV's “Ugly Betty.”

In the fashion industry, there's been an effort to promote healthier-looking models. “Girls aren't looking as skinny this season as they did,” said Suze Yalof Scwhartz, executive editor-at-large for Glamour Magazine. “There's food backstage. They're looking sexier.” At Glamour, she noted, a model won't be featured “if she shows too much clavicle.”

The nastier headlines about Spears are uncalled for, Schwartz said, but at the same time, “when you walk around the stage in a black bikini in front of millions of viewers, people are going to notice.” She added that though Spears doesn't have the perfect body she once did, “Most women would die for the body she has now.”

An obvious question is whether a male performer would have been subjected to the same standards. Many would say no; Dave Zinczenko, editor of Men's Health magazine, says yes.

“Listen, any time you go on national television and dance in barely any clothing, you're going to be facing a lot of scrutiny,” Zinczenko says. “Anybody would be asking for it.” Not that many people weren't pulling for Spears, he notes: “If she had come back, she would have been the toast of the country.”

And certainly she had a lot to come back from over the past few years: Well-documented parenting mishaps — remember the baby on her lap in the driver's seat? A messy divorce from husband Kevin Federline. The famous crotch photos. The bizarre head-shaving incident. Rehab.

And now this.

“I kind of feel bad for her,” said Shelley Wade, a DJ at New York City pop station Z100. “She looked really nervous. And then now, I'm looking at all these blogs this morning about how everybody thinks she's fat and I'm like, ‘What! Fat?' She wasn't fat.”

How all this will impact Spears' career, and sales of her new album, has yet to be seen. “I just felt like that performance was make or break for her comeback,” says Wade. “Now with last night's performance, she's just kind of put herself back in the same boat ... everybody thinks she's a train wreck.”

But the single of “Gimme More,” the song she destroyed onstage, is off to a great start in the Top 40, says Sean Ross of Edison Research, which tracks radio play. “A great VMA performance would have probably closed the deal for her, but she's still got until Thanksgiving to do other good performances and to release a strong album with other hits on it,” he said.

In any case, it seems it would never be wise to write an obituary of Spears' career.

“With everything Britney, we think this is the last chance,” says Min. “The fact is, it never is.

“At least this puts attention back on her as a performer. My sense is she'd rather be judged on that than on the rehab, the drinking and the partying.”

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2007, 10:44:22 pm »
She's getting a bit too old to successfully pull off this bad-girl, hoochy spiel on which she's built almost her whole career . . .
I think she would serve herself well to adopt a more mature style more consistent with her years and position in life . . .

Sheez, she's still quite young.  Dancers on Broadway & in Vegas wear less — well into their 30s.

And let's not forget Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler, Prince, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant, etc. etc. etc. who — well into their 40s and 50s — present themselves as veritable seething volcanoes of male virility. 

Are women supposed to stop expressing themselves sexually at the ripe old age of "late twenties"?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:37:25 pm by LauraGigs »

injest

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2007, 11:48:48 pm »
It was just THAT particular bikini...if she had made an effort she could have wrote a check and got a stylist to find her something sexy that was not so blocky and stark. I don't know who designed the thing but I don't hear anyone bragging about it was theirs...

I would imagine if Eminem came out in a Speedo we would be talking about his incredibly bad taste...so not so sexist I think...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2007, 08:36:30 am »
More on Britney's performance...

Britney Spears reportedly flopped at the MTV Video Music Awards because she turned up for rehearsals more than four hours late and was drinking alcohol.

The singer disappointed fellow performers and audience members at the Las Vegas bash on Sunday -- her first major appearance in four years -- with a rendition of her new single, "Gimme More," that was described as "nervous" and "shaky."

An MTV source claims awards show bosses were furious when the singer missed her 1 p.m. rehearsal on the day of the show.

The insider tells the New York Post's gossip column Page Six, "She didn't even get to Las Vegas until 4:30 p.m. It was ridiculous. The production people at MTV were freaking out. Nobody can tell Britney what to do anymore. No one can control her. She is a mess.

"She went to her hotel room and ordered a bunch of food and some frozen margaritas. She came down an hour later with a frozen margarita in her hand.

"The dance number was spectacular -- without her. When the stand-in was rehearsing with the dancers, in the hours they were all waiting for her, it was amazing. Then Britney showed up and refused to do anything. The more complicated dance moves had to be erased because she couldn't do them."

The source claims Spears also chose her own underwear-inspired stage outfit, adding, "MTV wanted her to wear a corset outfit. It would have looked great and covered a lot of things up, but she hated it and didn't think it was sexy enough."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=20199

L

moremojo

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2007, 10:15:37 am »
Are women supposed to stop expressing themselves sexually at the ripe old age of "late twenties"?
Certainly not, but I do think Spears is getting a bit old for the nymphet routine that she and her handlers have cultivated for most of her career. It's not so much a matter of sexiness or sexual expression as it is one, as Jess suggests, of taste and sensibility.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:59 am »
From the New York Times

September 13, 2007

Spears’s Awards Fiasco Stirs Speculation About Her Future

By JEFF LEEDS

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 12 — Long before Britney Spears’s dazed performance on the MTV Video Music Awards in Las Vegas on Sunday, her comeback effort looked out of sync.

It started in May, when the erstwhile pop queen marked her tentative return to public performance after a long hiatus with a string of haphazard club gigs that lasted for as little as 15 minutes, during which she lip-synched old hits like “... Baby One More Time.” But no one was prepared for Sunday night’s fiasco, in which a listless Ms. Spears teetered through her dance steps and mouthed only occasional words in a wan attempt to lip-synch her new single, “Gimme More.”

Endlessly mocked in the mainstream news media and the blogosphere, it has left her fans and her handlers bewildered. The show also left raw nerves: Ms. Spears’s label, Jive Records, sent a note to MTV chastising the network over the comments of the comedian Sarah Silverman, who took the stage immediately after Ms. Spears and referred to her children as “mistakes.”

With her first studio album in four years scheduled for release on Nov. 13, the music industry is debating whether Ms. Spears’s career can recover.

“Is she going to be the next Michael Jackson?” wondered Jay Marose, a former publicist for teen-pop acts like the Backstreet Boys. “She’s been on her own for so long, calling the shots in this bubble.”

Her predicament illustrates the hazards that await pop stars who depart the spotlight and then try to return where they left off. Ms. Spears all but suspended her career three years ago when she married a backup dancer, Kevin Federline, and fired her longtime manager. More recently, she has expressed a desire to run her own career, even while devoting time to a messy divorce with Mr. Federline and a child-custody battle.

Little wonder that the question of how to breathe new life into her career was a polarizing one — particularly when MTV, where Ms. Spears had been a mainstay, extended an offer for her to perform at its annual gala.

The idea received a mostly cool reception from Ms. Spears’s principal advisers at Jive. But Ms. Spears’s entertainment lawyer, Gary Stiffelman, figured she could benefit from MTV exposure, and pressed her to sign on. Mr. Stiffelman also helped steer Ms. Spears to a new manager, Jeff Kwatinetz, about a month ago to guide her through preparations for the appearance. Mr. Stiffelman and Mr. Kwatinetz declined to comment.

Ms. Spears began a program of fitness training and choreography sessions to get ready, with executives from MTV and Jive receiving updates on her progress from her management. Shortly after the preparations began, though, Ms. Spears jolted the team by shaking up her coterie of advisers, ousting Mr. Stiffelman.

Members of Ms. Spears’s camp say that although she expressed jitters about performing on television again, she showed a semblance of sticking to her regimen. But once Ms. Spears arrived in Las Vegas for the awards show weekend, everything ran off the rails. For starters, she was photographed partying with celebrities like Diddy until the wee hours.

Roughly an hour before showtime, Ms. Spears insisted on a series of changes. She clashed with Ken Paves, the high-end hairstylist chosen to do her hair extensions. She also decided not to wear the custom-fitted corset designed for the performance, opting for a black bikini-style costume that revealed more of her body. Her physical appearance during her set also faced a barrage of criticism.

Her performance is the second recent public embarrassment for one of Mr. Kwatinetz’s clients. A few months ago he was fired by the singer Kelly Clarkson amid a public battle she was waging with her label.

For all the buzz about her televised missteps, Ms. Spears appears to be on solid footing in one sense: she has a hot song. Since “Gimme More” surfaced on the New York pop station Z100 two weeks ago, it has quickly earned a spot on the playlists of pop stations nationwide and turned into a hit on Web sites like YouTube.

“So far, in the first two weeks, the reaction has been bigger than anyone expected,” said Sharon Dastur, the program director for Z100. She said that some listeners call to make negative comments about Ms. Spears, “but then they say, ‘When are you guys going to play the song again?’ ”

Two ringtones based on the single can be bought exclusively on mtv.com; initially, demand was so heavy that the servers handling the orders crashed for several hours. And for better or worse, the performance has also prompted loose defenses of Ms. Spears online, where one fan created a Zapruder-like slow-motion replay video that laid the blame for her awkward dancing on a broken boot heel.

It is not clear how far a hit song will take Ms. Spears, however, in the absence of other marketing efforts. Her advisers may be reluctant to risk further setbacks by pushing her to do additional performances or interviews.

A spokeswoman for Jive Records said the company “is committed to releasing Britney Spears’s album on Nov. 13 and we’re excited about the new material.” Her last album, “In the Zone,” sold more than 2.9 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Ms. Spears’s team is also eager to release a music video to counter the impressions left by the MTV debacle. But that may prove tricky, too: Ms. Spears oversaw her production of a gritty, stripper-themed clip for “Gimme More” that may jolt fans who are more accustomed to the slick, tightly choreographed videos that made her an MTV staple. The video is being tweaked with input from her advisers.

Only a week before the awards show, there had been talk among Ms. Spears’s handlers of booking her to play a string of intimate theater performances to promote her new album. But after Las Vegas, all bets are off. Given Ms. Spears’s independent streak, the biggest challenge may be convincing her to commit to a supervised makeover.

“The train wreck can’t be her shtick,” said Mr. Marose. He added, “So many people are pulling for her; they want to love her and she’s making it tough.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2007, 09:49:53 am »
I think she needs to get her personal life sorted out before returning to perform live on stage.

moremojo

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2007, 10:02:49 am »
I think she needs to get her personal life sorted out before returning to perform live on stage.
The woman is a multimillionaire and never needs to work a day in her life again. She has two young children and is pretty obviously unstable, no doubt due to indulgence in alcohol and other drugs--this latter problem is compounded by her lack of intelligence. I definitely agree that she should prioritize her health and her family before worrying about her career and making even more money that she doesn't even need.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2007, 10:19:18 am »
I read somewhere that she makes $770,000 a month. A MONTH! I guess this is all how her money has been invested and doled out to her as a monthly income? I wonder how long this would last if she never had another hit record. Any ideas?

L

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:28 am »
I definitely agree that she should prioritize her health and her family before worrying about her career and making even more money that she doesn't even need.

Exactly.  It's way too soon for any kind of 'comeback' effort.  She's obviously physically and emotionally unprepared.

What I kept thinking during that performance is that she just didn't seem to want to be there.  But I guess her handlers/record label felt another album was "due" so they could keep milking the Spears cash cow.  And she's rebelling and sabotaging it at every turn.