Author Topic: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?  (Read 17274 times)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?
« on: June 15, 2006, 05:32:39 am »
Many of those who made it to the Castro already know this, but I wanted to share what's been going on with me with everyone else as I haven't been posting much.

I made the decision back in April that I was going to leave San Francisco after 12 years and move back to Southern California.  I have a producer in LA that's working on a cd for me that I need to work more collaboratively with, and my brother's kids in southern Orange County are getting older and I wanted to be around for that.

I took a trip down there from May 30 to June 6 to see the family, scout neighborhoods, meet with Jay (the aforementioned producer) and make sure this was really what I wanted to do.  Sure enough, it's time to accept the fact that wearing shorts for 3 months, swimming in the ocean, and having a tan is something that's in my blood.  It was a perfect week.

I went with my nieces and their grandparents (my parents) to the 7 year old's school carnival.  Had much fun playing games, winning tickets and helping her pick out prizes at the end of the night.

I ended up choosing Long Beach as where I wanted to live.  I'll start checking Craigslist in the next couple of days for rentals available Aug 1st.

Whatever concern I might have had about not knowing many people in the area (a foolish concern to begin with because I have plenty of high school friends that are still there), it was dispelled on this trip.  I had a great, long dinner with an old friend in Santa Monica one night.  The following night, while walking through an old haunt in West Hollywood, a guy approached me and said, "I know you."  We knew each other through a performing group we were both in, though not at the same time, and we'd last seen each other in '91 at the latest.  He started introducing me around to some of his friends.  Very eclectic, fun, welcoming group.  Turns out his best friend is a guy I did a Christmas show with here in SF back in '97 or so.  Amazing.  My old/new friend told me how this group has something of a procedure.  A number of them are often out of town for work.  So when someone is in town, and the message is sent out that they'll be hanging out at this place at this time, and being that everyone agrees that it's important to keep in touch and maintain strong connections with your buddies, everyone who can make it drops what their doing and shows up.  So boom.  I'm effortlessly in with a bunch of the most open, accepting, creative, genuine people you'd ever have a chance of meeting, especially in LA.

I met with Jay on two consecutive days.  The first day we chose the 12 songs for the project out of the 16 we had to choose from, all of which I either wrote or co-wrote.  The second day we chose a direction.  For this first album I'm going to be an acoustic alternative artist.  For the second I'll probably end up going both more pop and more innovative, looking at the songs we had left over.  The important thing is, we now have a much better idea what the cd is going to sound like, starting each track with acoustic guitar and drums and adding in whatever is necessary and appropriate for each song.  I think we've got some pretty strong material.

Once I got back to SF I called up a guy I had met right before I left, with whom I'd been quite impressed, and we've seen each other everyday since (pic attached).  He's pretty special.  We're both very upfront people so all of the big issues, i.e. anything that might have scared one of us off, were discussed in our first week.  As I'll be moving in seven weeks we can't see where this is going, but we're loving it for now.

So while all of the Brokie SF festiveness was going on I was also gathering boxes to start packing, ordering my new car (if I have to start driving again I'm going to pollute the atmosphere as little as possible: I'm getting a Prius hybrid), and enjoying this spectacular new person in my life.  And speaking of spectacular people, Ruby and Nipith, I will so be in touch come the big move.

So that's what's been, and will continue to be, occupying my time.  I've got a lot to do before 8/1 but I'll be checking in when I can.  Missing you.

Kirk

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:43:16 am »
Wow, thanks for letting us know! These changes/new events in your life sound fantastic!

Good luck to you  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:44:02 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:39:06 am »
Hey thanks for the great update Kirk, and congrats on all the positive things going on in your life, one that sounds very exciting indeed.

All the best Kirk, and remember that being the best you can be gives us permission to do the same, so thank you.

*big hug & round of applause*
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:01:34 am »

I second everything that Chris said - and we miss you too Kirk!  :-*

Keep in touch, mate.

xx
Chut up!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:04:29 am »
Indeed!   Congrats and Good Luck with the move!

My memories of my Beach Blanket Babylon experience are that much fonder knowing I was watching a future Fellow Brokie!   

Long Beach eh?    Hmmm I think the Hotel Queen Mary would be a great place for a future Brokie convention!   

David   :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:27:45 pm »
Long Beach eh?    Hmmm I think the Hotel Queen Mary would be a great place for a future Brokie convention!

Ah, David.  As so often is the case, I think you just read my mind.  And the next time I visit the Queen Mary, I'll be prepared for the sounding of the horn and not hit the deck like I did the last time.  ;)

Turns out American has a nice little direct flight from Miami to LAX every day, too.  If I play my cards right, I could even go stand-by (and not get bumped, so to speak).  And Ed was so welcoming last night and this morning - he's one of those "Absense makes the heart grow fonder" type of guys, I decided I really should go away more often.  Hmmmm...

No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 02:08:05 pm »
Thanks so much for the update, and congratulations on all the changes.  It's great to hear what's been going on in your world.  I had been wondering where you were...

All good things, Celeste
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:21:36 pm »
Thanks for the update, Kirk. I've only been to LA a couple of times, but I've loved it and -- except for the freeway traffic and price of housing -- thought it would be fun to live there. Very interesting culture. Good luck with everything!

Katherine

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 03:22:14 pm »
Cheers for sharing your news with us!
All the best with the move, new relationship and new album!  :)

Best wishes mate!
Milli

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »
sounds like a lot of excitement and fun in the road ahead...

enjoy!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/