Author Topic: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?  (Read 17354 times)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?
« on: June 15, 2006, 05:32:39 am »
Many of those who made it to the Castro already know this, but I wanted to share what's been going on with me with everyone else as I haven't been posting much.

I made the decision back in April that I was going to leave San Francisco after 12 years and move back to Southern California.  I have a producer in LA that's working on a cd for me that I need to work more collaboratively with, and my brother's kids in southern Orange County are getting older and I wanted to be around for that.

I took a trip down there from May 30 to June 6 to see the family, scout neighborhoods, meet with Jay (the aforementioned producer) and make sure this was really what I wanted to do.  Sure enough, it's time to accept the fact that wearing shorts for 3 months, swimming in the ocean, and having a tan is something that's in my blood.  It was a perfect week.

I went with my nieces and their grandparents (my parents) to the 7 year old's school carnival.  Had much fun playing games, winning tickets and helping her pick out prizes at the end of the night.

I ended up choosing Long Beach as where I wanted to live.  I'll start checking Craigslist in the next couple of days for rentals available Aug 1st.

Whatever concern I might have had about not knowing many people in the area (a foolish concern to begin with because I have plenty of high school friends that are still there), it was dispelled on this trip.  I had a great, long dinner with an old friend in Santa Monica one night.  The following night, while walking through an old haunt in West Hollywood, a guy approached me and said, "I know you."  We knew each other through a performing group we were both in, though not at the same time, and we'd last seen each other in '91 at the latest.  He started introducing me around to some of his friends.  Very eclectic, fun, welcoming group.  Turns out his best friend is a guy I did a Christmas show with here in SF back in '97 or so.  Amazing.  My old/new friend told me how this group has something of a procedure.  A number of them are often out of town for work.  So when someone is in town, and the message is sent out that they'll be hanging out at this place at this time, and being that everyone agrees that it's important to keep in touch and maintain strong connections with your buddies, everyone who can make it drops what their doing and shows up.  So boom.  I'm effortlessly in with a bunch of the most open, accepting, creative, genuine people you'd ever have a chance of meeting, especially in LA.

I met with Jay on two consecutive days.  The first day we chose the 12 songs for the project out of the 16 we had to choose from, all of which I either wrote or co-wrote.  The second day we chose a direction.  For this first album I'm going to be an acoustic alternative artist.  For the second I'll probably end up going both more pop and more innovative, looking at the songs we had left over.  The important thing is, we now have a much better idea what the cd is going to sound like, starting each track with acoustic guitar and drums and adding in whatever is necessary and appropriate for each song.  I think we've got some pretty strong material.

Once I got back to SF I called up a guy I had met right before I left, with whom I'd been quite impressed, and we've seen each other everyday since (pic attached).  He's pretty special.  We're both very upfront people so all of the big issues, i.e. anything that might have scared one of us off, were discussed in our first week.  As I'll be moving in seven weeks we can't see where this is going, but we're loving it for now.

So while all of the Brokie SF festiveness was going on I was also gathering boxes to start packing, ordering my new car (if I have to start driving again I'm going to pollute the atmosphere as little as possible: I'm getting a Prius hybrid), and enjoying this spectacular new person in my life.  And speaking of spectacular people, Ruby and Nipith, I will so be in touch come the big move.

So that's what's been, and will continue to be, occupying my time.  I've got a lot to do before 8/1 but I'll be checking in when I can.  Missing you.

Kirk

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: OT - Where the heck has Kirk been?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 05:43:16 am »
Wow, thanks for letting us know! These changes/new events in your life sound fantastic!

Good luck to you  :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:44:02 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 06:39:06 am »
Hey thanks for the great update Kirk, and congrats on all the positive things going on in your life, one that sounds very exciting indeed.

All the best Kirk, and remember that being the best you can be gives us permission to do the same, so thank you.

*big hug & round of applause*
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 07:01:34 am »

I second everything that Chris said - and we miss you too Kirk!  :-*

Keep in touch, mate.

xx
Chut up!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:04:29 am »
Indeed!   Congrats and Good Luck with the move!

My memories of my Beach Blanket Babylon experience are that much fonder knowing I was watching a future Fellow Brokie!   

Long Beach eh?    Hmmm I think the Hotel Queen Mary would be a great place for a future Brokie convention!   

David   :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 01:27:45 pm »
Long Beach eh?    Hmmm I think the Hotel Queen Mary would be a great place for a future Brokie convention!

Ah, David.  As so often is the case, I think you just read my mind.  And the next time I visit the Queen Mary, I'll be prepared for the sounding of the horn and not hit the deck like I did the last time.  ;)

Turns out American has a nice little direct flight from Miami to LAX every day, too.  If I play my cards right, I could even go stand-by (and not get bumped, so to speak).  And Ed was so welcoming last night and this morning - he's one of those "Absense makes the heart grow fonder" type of guys, I decided I really should go away more often.  Hmmmm...

No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 02:08:05 pm »
Thanks so much for the update, and congratulations on all the changes.  It's great to hear what's been going on in your world.  I had been wondering where you were...

All good things, Celeste
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 02:21:36 pm »
Thanks for the update, Kirk. I've only been to LA a couple of times, but I've loved it and -- except for the freeway traffic and price of housing -- thought it would be fun to live there. Very interesting culture. Good luck with everything!

Katherine

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 03:22:14 pm »
Cheers for sharing your news with us!
All the best with the move, new relationship and new album!  :)

Best wishes mate!
Milli

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 05:31:11 pm »
sounds like a lot of excitement and fun in the road ahead...

enjoy!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline opinionista

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 07:10:35 pm »
Hey Kirk,

As we say in Spanish mucha suerte! I wish you the very best on your new endeavours. I know what's like to move to a new city, and start a whole new life. And good luck with the recording!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 07:41:01 pm »
Some people lead such interesting lives.  :-\

*sigh*  I will live vicariously through you Kirk.  Keep us in the loop and let us know how it is going!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 09:04:44 pm »
But the big question is, who can ever fill your shoes in Beach Blanket Babylon?!  :P

Well, they'll have to cope, I guess.  Kirk, that sounds marvelous.  Good for you for looking ahead and following your heart.  Speaking of which, your guy is cute.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 09:14:57 pm »
Kirk, thanks so much for letting us know what you're up to instead of just disappearing. Good luck to you! I hope you'll still keep us updated from time to time. (Assuming you don't have problems with your wife card, of course.  ;))

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 03:06:06 am »
That Courtney.  Always gotta play the wife card. (Okay, getting everybody in on the joke: Once while in the chatroom I was explaining how my "wifi" card had been malfunctioning.  "Wifi" was mistaken for "wife" and the joke was expanded upon.)

Thanks for the good wishes, everybody.  It's funny how it doesn't feel like I'm starting a new life but stepping into the life I always should have had, or the one I've been building towards since day one.  I definitely will keep everyone posted as things progress.  Maybe the cd release party could be a another Brokie event?  Maybe I'll have to do more than one?

;) ;D ::) :-*

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 04:26:27 am »
Hey song and dance man.  You have been missed.  Glad you're still with us. It is a family that needs all its parts.  We can always expand, but it hurts to lose any part of it.  Enjoy mate and thanks for taking us with you!  *MWA*
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 10:15:23 am »
Man! Kirk. You were telling us about in bits and pieces, and I was really excited for you. To read it all together in one post, I'm just realizing what an amazing road is ahead of you. Your talent is going to win you many fans, and that smile of yours is going to make them fall in love. I can't wait to be at your first concert.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:27:00 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 11:26:00 am »
What everybody else said, Kirk.  I'm really glad you are "back," and I have it on my to do list: travel to LA for Kirk's first __(Something)__.

It all sounds so good - the nieces, the shorts, the CD, the ready-made group of warm/cool friends.  I know what you mean about stepping into the life you've been heading towards - my memory of moving to Seattle 13 years ago reads like a smooth script, the way I remember it I stepped into wonderful friendships and exciting work right away.  It felt like this is the right place, after other not so right places.

I really liked your really special guy.  It felt like he trusted himself and comfortably trusted me too, like he wears himself pretty comfortably.  And though I joked about it, I respected his decision to not go see something that he had reason to believe would devastate him while he very much needed to remain functional.  (Like me not going to Alcatraz - I sure didn't reckon on people likening it to an Italian villa!)

Anyway, I love you, I love your musical mom, I love your new life, and I can't wait to plunk down my bucks for your CD.  Do you have a way of sharing a song or two (even rough) via MP3 or sump'n?

Clarissa

P.S. I bet those BBB people can throw one heck of a bon voyage party. 

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 08:05:28 pm »
Way to go, Kirk! I'm always impressed with people that follow their dreams. I'm equally as impressed that you're dating Chris Daughtry!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 08:47:26 pm »
I'm equally as impressed that you're dating Chris Daughtry!

;)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2006, 09:14:01 pm »
You know, it looks like Kirk took the picture down so my comment seems really random. But I swear there was a picture of Kirk and a handsome fella that looked like Chris Daughtry on the front page of this thread just a couple of nights ago. I am not crazy!
 :P
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2006, 09:31:58 pm »
You know, it looks like Kirk took the picture down so my comment seems really random. But I swear there was a picture of Kirk and a handsome fella that looked like Chris Daughtry on the front page of this thread just a couple of nights ago. I am not crazy!
 :P

Stacy,

I am so with you on this one.  I actually mentioned that to Kirk tht night, but he said he did not follow American Idol!  (If my memory is still right). 

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 01:54:21 pm »
You know, it looks like Kirk took the picture down

It's still there.  I'd been trying to recall who he reminded me of & you nailed it.
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 07:25:35 am »
Update - 10 days later.

Nick and I just keep getting better.  Everything about us is on fast forward.  Not in a careless way, we're just so open that any kind of doubt or hesitation or anything that one of us feels gets discussed immediately and moved through.  We're officially a couple now and I've never been in a healthier relationship.  It's amazing the passion, peace, joy and freedom I feel with this man.  Unbelievable.  Frequent visits have already been mentioned and he's looking into medical imaging schools near Long Beach and he already has two very close friends in the LA area.  But first we're going to make sure I like it there.

Not so great news - my family, i.e. 1/2 of the reason I was moving to SoCal, is moving to Kansas.  My whole family.  Still moving but not quite as happy about it.

My new blue Prius Hybrid that I ordered less than 2 weeks ago, and that my Toyota dealer had said another guy had been waiting 4 months for, will be available for me sometime during the first 10 days of July, well before I need it (hee hee.  I knew it).  I'll be working out financing and signing the paperwork on Wednesday.

I'll be returning to Long Beach this Mon and Tues to see 4 apartments that all sound like good possibilities.  With any luck I'll know what my new address will be by Wednesday.  I'll also be staking claim on a storage unit in nearby Huntington Beach.

And as if I needed any other good news, I won a drawing at a local comics store for a varient edition of the 1st issue of the new Wonder Woman series.

Bummer about the family moving, but I know it's for the best because, I'm telling you folks, it seems like I just can't lose these days.

Thinking of you often.

:-* O0

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 09:24:07 am »
Save for your family's moving plans, such wonderful news!  And you're right - it probably is for the best, anyway.  It's great to hear how things are going with Nick.  He's a lovely man, and it was clear how much in sync you two were at the Castro.  And only the best will do for my Kirk!  Looks like that's what you've got.  :)
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 11:35:27 am »
Wow! that's a bummer about your family. Kansas!! of all places. Family is important, so that'll totally sucks.

Good news though about Nik. It's great to find that connection and to be able to talk and confront issues together, without fear and hesitation. I envy that. You guys have a healthy start and it'll only get better from there.

And wonderful to hear about you being able to enjoy your Prius so soon.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 01:48:23 pm »
Kirk,

Sorry to hear that your family is moving away from LA, but glad to know that you and Nick are officially a couple now!  Good luck with the house hunting.  I sure wish that we will see you again before you move to LA. 

p.s. To prove Stacey and my point, here is a picture of Chris Daughtry:

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 01:50:56 pm »
Ooh, good call, Jenny and Stacey.  For the record, I think Nick looks better.  :)
No more beans!

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2006, 01:46:59 pm »
Kirk -

I just read this thread.  I'm behind in reading threads, but Jenny directed folks to it from the farewell gathering thread. 

WOW  :o  So many great things happening in your life!!  Congratulations and all the best to you!  You're such a talented, loveable guy, I know you will do well.

Let us know your contact info.  I get down to Long Beach occassionally and would love to see how you are doing.

How to see you on Tuesday in SF.

It's been great knowing you!

Pete

:)
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 01:27:03 am »
Hi all.  Haven't been here in weeks.  Wanted to give you an update.  I've made the first of two moving trips to Long Beach.  The storage unit is moved, next is the apartment.  I hope I haven't made a mistake in choosing the place I did.  When we got there it was freakishly hot and humid for SoCal.  The only climate control the new place has is some ceiling fans, which my room doesn't have.  It sucked.  Started to panic thinking about all of the shelf units and big things I had to move into the space that was available and didn't think I could do it.  Upon further reflection I think it will be fine.  The carpets are filthy as evidenced by the state of my feet after walking barefoot in the apartment for a few hours.  Roommate is still way cool though.

I have tonight and tomorrow left to pack what's left of the apartment and it's a big job and I don't know where to begin so I'm begining here.

I haven't seen the farewell gathering thread but I can tell you I had a great time and thank you all so much for your messages.  It was a bright spot in a very stressful time and was mch appreciated.  And thanks Jenny for getting the whole thing together.

Nick and I are still doing wonderfully.  Not lookig forward to the time apart but looking forward to his first visit for his birthday in Sept.  he's never been to Disneyland so I'm taking him.

All right.  Time to stop avoiding the work ahead.  Love you guys.  I'll keep you posted.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 01:32:35 am »
Gald to see you around Kirk and update on your move.  The thread for our small farewell gathering is here:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3296.msg61551#msg61551

Please don't mind the gossip part.  ;D

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 04:07:24 am »
good to hearhow you are getting on Kirk! and that you and Nick are still going strong.
x

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 07:37:48 am »
I have no idea who Chris Daughtry is  :laugh:  but he sure looks fine! Way to go Kirk!

Hope all goes well too, with everything else planned this summer!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 10:43:56 am »
Thanks for reporting in, Kirk.  Good luck with the final stage of the move!  Here's hoping there's an air conditioner in your future.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 04:23:21 am »
I checked the chat room first.  Nobody there.  Then I thought I'd read up on some threads to see how everyone else was doing.  Spent 20 min. on the songs thread and knew I'd be here all night if I didn't stop now.  But I wanted to say hello and give a quick update.

3 weeks in Long Beach now.  I need to completely reorganize the kitchen and the bathroom in order to unpack my last boxes and I keep avoiding the job.  Nipith came down from LA to help move me in.  I think he's still in Thailand right now.  My new roommate's great.  Long Beach itself is lovely although my room gets unbearably hot in the late afternoon.  That's okay.  I'll probably only be here for another 5 months because...

Nick and I are doing tremendously well.  His first visit was supposed to be for his birthday the second weekend in September.  Nope.  He was here 10 days after the move.  Then ten days after that visit we had an amazing phone conversation, during which we talked through a lot of things that had been coming up for him in regards to "us."  We hung up feeling completely, ecstatically, powerfully in love and very much a couple.  When I put the phone down I looked at the clock (it was midnight) and I thought "If I threw some stuff in a bag, got in the car, and set the cruise control at 80, I could be there when he wakes up."  So I did.  When I drove back home we had 17 days until his birthday visit and, ironically, it will be the longest time we've been apart.  We've made it a goal to be living together by Feb. 1st.  Neither of us has any idea how that's going to happen, we're just going to keep the space open for that to occur.

I've met with my producer (Jay) and the guy  who's been working on 3 of my songs (Justin) once and talked with Jay another time since then.  They played me the tracks they'd been working on and we're in the process of refining the sound we're going for.  The acoustic alternative thing didn't work out.  They tried some acoustic arragements but the songs were coming out souding like John Denver, so they tell me.  So they went back to the edgy rock that we had previously decided against and it was a bit too heavy for me.  We'll find what we're looking for.  My goal is to have the cd done by Nov. 30th.  I'll let you know.

In addition I've been picking up a few personal projects.  I've been hitting the gym on a regular basis and loving the results.  I've started to learn Spanish.  Third time I've started.  This time I'll really try to get through the book and not stop at lesson 10 or whatever when it gets challenging.

Jay "made a few calls" for me to help out with possible work opportunities.  Still, I think I'll start looking on my own next week.  The savings won't last long and it would be nice to have something left in that account.

So I'm getting along, learning a lot about myself and how I resist progress and getting through that resistance.  It's a powerful time and I need to stay focused, hence my decision not to stay and read threads.  But I would love to hear from you.

Miss you guys.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 06:27:26 am »
I checked the chat room first.  Nobody there.  Then I thought I'd read up on some threads to see how everyone else was doing.  Spent 20 min. on the songs thread and knew I'd be here all night if I didn't stop now.  But I wanted to say hello and give a quick update.

3 weeks in Long Beach now.  I need to completely reorganize the kitchen and the bathroom in order to unpack my last boxes and I keep avoiding the job.  Nipith came down from LA to help move me in.  I think he's still in Thailand right now.  My new roommate's great.  Long Beach itself is lovely although my room gets unbearably hot in the late afternoon.  That's okay.  I'll probably only be here for another 5 months because...

Nick and I are doing tremendously well.  His first visit was supposed to be for his birthday the second weekend in September.  Nope.  He was here 10 days after the move.  Then ten days after that visit we had an amazing phone conversation, during which we talked through a lot of things that had been coming up for him in regards to "us."  We hung up feeling completely, ecstatically, powerfully in love and very much a couple.  When I put the phone down I looked at the clock (it was midnight) and I thought "If I threw some stuff in a bag, got in the car, and set the cruise control at 80, I could be there when he wakes up."  So I did.  When I drove back home we had 17 days until his birthday visit and, ironically, it will be the longest time we've been apart.  We've made it a goal to be living together by Feb. 1st.  Neither of us has any idea how that's going to happen, we're just going to keep the space open for that to occur.

I've met with my producer (Jay) and the guy  who's been working on 3 of my songs (Justin) once and talked with Jay another time since then.  They played me the tracks they'd been working on and we're in the process of refining the sound we're going for.  The acoustic alternative thing didn't work out.  They tried some acoustic arragements but the songs were coming out souding like John Denver, so they tell me.  So they went back to the edgy rock that we had previously decided against and it was a bit too heavy for me.  We'll find what we're looking for.  My goal is to have the cd done by Nov. 30th.  I'll let you know.

In addition I've been picking up a few personal projects.  I've been hitting the gym on a regular basis and loving the results.  I've started to learn Spanish.  Third time I've started.  This time I'll really try to get through the book and not stop at lesson 10 or whatever when it gets challenging.

Jay "made a few calls" for me to help out with possible work opportunities.  Still, I think I'll start looking on my own next week.  The savings won't last long and it would be nice to have something left in that account.

So I'm getting along, learning a lot about myself and how I resist progress and getting through that resistance.  It's a powerful time and I need to stay focused, hence my decision not to stay and read threads.  But I would love to hear from you.

Miss you guys.

Hey Kirk,

I'm so glad to know everything is going so well for you! You sound very happy and so in love!!!! Nick sounds like a nice man. You are certainly starting a brand new life.

About you starting to learn Spanish, I can help you there. So if you have any doubts just PM and I see what I can do. But try not to quit. Spanish is a great langague to learn  ;D.

Hope to see you around here soon!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »
So glad you checked in Kirk!  It sounds like your life is just falling into place.  All the love and positive vibes from all directions must be a great joy.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 10:58:30 pm »
I put the phone down I looked at the clock (it was midnight) and I thought "If I threw some stuff in a bag, got in the car, and set the cruise control at 80, I could be there when he wakes up."  So I did.

That's so romantic!  I'm very happy for you!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2006, 08:57:06 am »
That's so romantic!  I'm very happy for you!  8)

DITTO!!!

really good to hear all your news...

xx

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 03:19:46 am »
Kirk -

>"I could be there when he wakes up." 
Sounds like great FanFiction come to life!  So sweet!!  I am so happy for you, Kirk!

To echo what someone posted near the beginning of this thread - you are so sweet to keep us all posted on your life and not just disappear.

Glad to read your thinkin’ of goin’ to Alberta next summer.  I am, too and it would be great to see ya there, bud.

Well, good luck and I hope your wonderful new life adventure continues to be wonderful.

Please keep us posted.

Pete 
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 06:23:17 am »
Hey Kirk!!! You're online!

Update this will ya and tell me how life has been with you!?

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 07:14:15 am »
Thanks for asking Kelda.  As a matter of fact I recently sent out a mass email which I meant to post here.  So here it is...

Hello everyone,

Time again for another mass email update.

I kept waiting to send this until I could tell you that my first solo CD was ready for consumption. As that still seems to be a little bit in the future and other events are transpiring of which I'd like to make everyone aware, I thought it best to bring you up to date now.

Sooooooooo, life in LA hasn't worked out. I know I've only been here 4 months but I am now financially incapable of staying here any longer without going fabulously into debt at an equally fabulous pace. It's all working out for the best though because that means that my partner Nick and I get to move in together two months ahead of schedule. I'll be moving into his place until we can find one to call "ours," paying rent on my room in Long Beach in the meantime so that I don't have to move my stuff three times in six months instead of two times. Anyone who has helped me move will understand the wisdom in that.

And yes, I will be returning to Beach Blanket Babylon. I know I said that, thinking about doing the show again, I would only go back "...if I really wanted to kill my soul." Well I don't want to kill my soul but I do need to reinvigorate my finances. So necessity returns me to the show and company that took such great care of me for so long and is graciously allowing me to step back into my old job, allowing me agreed upon unpaid days off for creative purposes when I require them. SSPI really has been an outstanding employer for me. If not for the show itself I wouldn't be anticipating spending every moment planning for my next departure. But hey, think about how much money I saved them by being gone for 4 1/2 months!

As far as the CD goes, thanks to my voice returning after 3 days of a mucus cleansing liquid diet/fast, and barring any further technical issues, I should be recording my lead vocals today. By the time I move back, everything should be recorded as it should be. Then comes mixing, mastering, and duplication. I should have the finished product out by the end of the year or shortly thereafter. At some point I'll need to go back to SoCal and shoot a couple of simple videos, hence those unpaid days off I mentioned. Yet more savings for my employer.

For you SF folks, Nick and I are ideally looking for a two bedroom somewhere that's easily accessible to public transit to the Castro, City College, and Downtown. Like maybe West Portal or someplace pleasant like that. Kindly let me know if you hear of anything.

That's all for now. You'll know more as I do.

Much love,
Kirk

Up to the minute update:  My lead vocals have indeed been recorded and I have indeed moved in with Nick.  Two days into it and we are SO happy to be together.  I'm looking at around Feb. now for the CD.  One of the last things we (I and those working on the project with me) did before I moved back was to shoot some footage for a couple of videos, one of which I'm very excited about.  So in a couple of months I hope I will be able to tell you about the video and the debut album "Insomnia" and how and where to get ahold of them.

Went back to my old workplace today.  First in the morning with the costumer to go through and try on all of my old costumes to make sure everything still fit and to list anything we might need.  Tonight I went to watch the show to refresh myself.  So many people were so happy to see me, and I them.  My great friend Mike was the acting manager tonight and we hung out chatting until, much later, he happened to look at the clock.  We'd been yakkin' for an hour and a half and he still needed to do paperwork.  Time flew by.  As I made my way home I walked through Union Square, which is all decorated for Christmas.  While I was in LA I hung out with Nipith (starboardlight) a number of times and he showed me some pretty cool parts of LA.  But SF is my city.  I needed the break but it is so good to be home, ranched up with the love of my life.

And getting back in touch with friends made me think of y'all so here I am.  I hope to one day be here when it' s not the wee hours of the morning and maybe get into the chatroom when it's busy.  Love to catch up and meet some of the new people.

Much love again,
Kirk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 07:48:20 am by kirkmusic »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 07:29:17 am »
Great to hear you and Nick are still going fabulouly well and you're now living together. I'm so happy for you!  ;D

And while you have moved back to a job you hadn't planned to - it is one you enjoy doing and one where all your firends are around you.

Pop in soon.   :-*

xxxxx

Offline David

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 07:34:52 am »
Hey Kirk!

Thanks for the update!     Sorry the LA thing didn't work out as expected.    But the patrons of B-B-B will be fortunate to have you back there!!

My total time in SF is about 17 days.    Awsome city!   If I won the lotterey I'd buy a nice place on Russian Hill.   :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2006, 12:31:14 pm »
Kirk, it's great to hear from you again.  Big hugs!

I love your upbeat attitude about having some ups and downs.  As Kelda said, the two best things are having your love and a job where friends welcome you back.  All the best with the CD project!  I'll look forward to hearing it.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2006, 01:01:31 pm »
And yes, I will be returning to Beach Blanket Babylon. I know I said that, thinking about doing the show again, I would only go back "...if I really wanted to kill my soul." Well I don't want to kill my soul but I do need to reinvigorate my finances.

Well, as somebody once said, "Money's a good point."

Good luck! And don't be a stranger!  :D

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2006, 03:15:35 pm »
Welcome back to The Bay Area, Kirk!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2006, 03:34:32 pm »
Thanks for the update! I hope U get your scrawny ass into the chat room pronto! Dec. 9 we're having a three-part chat; hope you can join us.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2006, 06:16:32 pm »
Kirk-

So happy to get your update but not so happy we didn't get together when you were in the general neighborhood. I guess this means there will need to be a SF reunion party soon...

O0

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 12:30:05 pm »
So good to hear from you Kirk!  Too bad things didn't work out in L.A., but at least you got to move in with your main squeeze, so many positives came out of it after all.  :)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 05:21:25 pm »
I have not been around much myself recently.

Kirk,

What a nice surprise that you are moving back!  Sounds like you and Nick are going so well.  I am very happy for you.  If someone is planning a SF reunion party, I am in.

Keep us posted with your CD and video.  Think you may be able to put a clip of the video on YouTube when it’s ready to be released?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2006, 08:29:29 am »
Y'all, we could have the SF Reunion Party in Colorado or Alberta. :)

Happy Housewarming, Kirk and Nick!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2006, 02:29:40 pm »
Hey Jenny -  So nice to see you on-line again.  I always look for the SF group so had to check out Kirk's news. 

Congrats definitely seem to be in order there.

Hope to see you both in Alberta.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 05:56:15 am »
Hey!  I see Kirk online!

How's it feel to be back in SF?

Update us please!!!  We've been missin you, friend!

:) :D :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 04:56:10 am »
Hi Lynne.  Got your pm as I was logging off and going to bed.  Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

Not much to report here.  I finally went back into the show this past weekend.  Didn't get a refresher rehearsal.  One guy and the guy who's been his understudy since I left both called out sick on Saturday, so I got a call in the morning asking how I would feel about jumping back in.  I got to work an hour early to go over the steps and vocal parts on my own, asked any questions I needed answered, and back in I went that night.  Felt good to earn my pay.

Last I heard from Jay (producer of CD) was the beginning of the month to tell me that he wouldn't be getting back to work on anything until the 16th of January (which could mean March, knowing Jay) due to a family tragedy I won't detail here.  I've stopped worrying about it because worrying doesn't get it done any sooner or better.  I just go on about my life, sparing a thought for my ultimate goal now and then, enjoying the award season movies, reading old Star Wars comics, getting settled into Nick's apartment, now "our" apartment, and occasionally stressing out about not doing anything to move myself forward (e.g. practice my voice, take some dance classes, write new songs, learn how to use garageband on my new MacBook, etc.) while my partner is busy working his ass off at work and in school.  I'm hoping that living with Nick will facilitate some of his focus and drive rubbing off on me.  Gotta do something different if I want different results.  38 is coming up in just over two months.  Yeesh.  At this rate I won't have time to wait for a career to get started.  I'm going to have to become an overnight internet senstation or something if I want a hit before I'm 50.  And I do.  When this whole process started back in Summer '05, I was hoping to have something out that people might have heard of by my 20 year high scool reunion, coming up this August.  I wanted to achieve a sufficient level of fame in time to be asked to deliver the induction presentation for Madonna when she becomes eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in '08.  I'm already a little disappointed that Rosie O'Donnell stopped doing her show before I could be on it.  I'm just praying that Oprah doesn't retire soon.

All that being said, I know that things will ultimately work out for the greater good of all concerned.  If I keep my mind on the big picture, the details will get filled in as I go.  Please God, let the details get filled in as I go.  Preferably soon.

I don't post much here but I do check in now and then, particularly on the Alberta thread because I definitely want to go.  I was looking at some really old threads on page 22 of the Tremblay board and thinking tenderly of the familiar screen names.  :)

More as it comes.

Love to all,
Kirk

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:28 am »
Thanks for the update there, pardner

Glad we'll be seein ya in Alberta, come July

Keep on track!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 06:11:59 am »
good to hear from you Kirk.

mmmwahhh.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 07:53:37 pm »
Thanks so much for the update, Kirk!  We've been missing you round here!  The tent just don't look right without you!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:16 am »
Kirk, eat more beans

O0

Heathen

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:21 am »
Time for another update since I can never seem to make the chats.

Didn't We Know This Was Going to End Badly?:
In October I contacted an entertainment lawyer with whom I was familiar and had him send a demand letter to my producer, since I had talked to the guy only once the entire year and still had no CD.  The letter stated that if the CD and videos were not delivered by Dec 15th, we would begin legal proceedings against him.  The CD that Jay (the producer in question) sent me soon after Dec. 15th was basically a very shiny coaster.  Virtually worthless.  No background vocals, dead space where there should be solos, production that was so amateurish that it was easy to tell the tracks had barely been touched since I left SoCal in Dec. '06.  The email I got from Jay said that this fulfilled his obligation.  <sigh>

So now I've sent a copy of the CD to my lawyer asking how much of what I paid Jay I should ask back, if not the entire amount.  I still haven't gotten the videos or album artwork that were part of the deal.  I know that Jay knows he's in hot water because he refuses to give me his mailing address.  Even the envelope with the CD came without a return address.

On the Plus Side:
Back in August I took a self-actualization type of course called the Landmark Forum, and then did the follow-up seminar weekly (almost) afterwards.  Good stuff.  Google it and check it out.  Through the work I did there I came to the realization that, had I been comfortable being bad at something while I learned how to do it, I would have started on my own path to being a record producer when I was 18.  I've always wanted to be a creative force in music and somewhere along the line i'd convinced myself that I didn't, that singing and writing were enough.  Well no more.  Starting Monday I'll be taking Music Composition and the Electronic Music Lab at SF City College and learning how to make music myself, as well as seeking out collaborators and pretending that the last 20 years of my professional life didn't happen.  Not much has happened that I wish to remember anyway, so that last part won't be hard.

Seriously, my professional life basically stopped when I graduated high school.  The best thing I can say about it is that I've been making a good living for the past 8 years in a show I never really liked in the first place (not that the thousands of people who love BBB shouldn't or anything).  But as we learned in BBM, eventually you're going to have to be true to yourself or you'll spend the rest of your life miserable.  It may have taken me 20 years but I'm finally on the right track.  And I have to say the process probably started around the time I saw BBM.  Certainly a huge part of getting my life together has been having Nick in it (we're at 1 1/2 years so far!).  And even though it didn't turn out well professionally, moving south for a few months in '06 was a brave risk and I'm glad I took it.

I'm certain my best days are ahead of me.  Well, certain except for the part of me that's scared s**tless that my life will stay exactly as it is until I die.  There are worse fates, true, but I can do so much more with it than I'm currently doing.

Hope all is well with you folks.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2008, 11:18:44 am »
Kirk, thanks for the update.

I hope the lawyer/producer issue and also the new studies will go very well.... I also hope your personal life is just as sparkling as before.

Kelda
x

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2008, 11:42:23 am »
Kirk, thanks for the update.

I hope the lawyer/producer issue and also the new studies will go very well.... I also hope your personal life is just as sparkling as before.

I second that!! It is a great time to start new ventures. I hope this one exceeds your wildest expectations!! Remember Ang Lee started out as an actor!! And Annie Proulx didn't start writing fiction till she was in her 50s!! Please continue with the updates!! Also, I think early June would be a good time for you to take a little break from your studies and join us in Wyoming. How about it, Kirk? It will be a sweet life!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:03 pm »
Kirk, it's always great to see you here.  Thanks for the update!  I wish you all the good things in the world and applaud you for taking concrete action to make your life into what you've always wanted.  That producer, he owes you---I hope you win back what you've paid, or at least a big portion of it.  Best of all, glad to hear that you and Nick are going strong.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
Quirk!  It's great to hear from you.  Hey, one of my happiest memories has you in it, singing to the full moon by the lake in Alberta.  I'm so glad you and Nick are going strong.  Have you done any YouTubes yet?  I'd love that.  Clarissa

Offline U/L Flyer

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • I'm editing the new video. I'll go flying later!!
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2008, 04:14:28 am »
Good to hear from you Kirk!  I'm with Front-Ranger when she said it would be good if you could make it to Wyoming this year. Hope to see you there.