Author Topic: I met newyearsday tonight at BBM!  (Read 10423 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
I met newyearsday tonight at BBM!
« on: March 31, 2006, 01:29:14 am »
On the spur of the moment, I went to see the last showing of BBM at Lincoln Square in NY tonight.  There were maybe 50 people there, a lot of whom looked like die-hard Brokies, and I was wishing I could ask them all how many times they'd seen it.

Well, I got my wish!  The movie started, the lights didn't go down, and there was no sound.  Several people immediately got up and went out to complain, and some of us started talking while we waited for someone to fix it.  An older gay couple near me were seeing it for the tenth time, and a guy a row ahead of me said it was his 11th (same for me). 

So this cute gal with short dark hair came back in and said she'd complained and they were going to start the movie again.  She proceeded to show the guy in the row ahead of me her necklace, but I couldn't see what it was.  Then she told him she knew someone who'd traveled over 300 miles to see BBM three times in a row in California.  I immediately thought of Rontrigger's saga, but they were talking like they were on the Dave Cullen board, so I wasn't sure if she was a Tremblayan.

The sound came on just about the time Jack and Ennis headed up the mountain with the sheep, and it seemed we were not going to get them to start the whole movie over again.  The intrepid girl went out again.  Sure enough, the film finally stopped and the manager announced they would start it over again.  I yelled across the theater to her, "You're our hero!"

We all watched the movie with reverence (except, apparently some people in the back row who laughed at everything, and who I thankfully didn't hear) and hung in there till the final credit rolled.   The gay couple was singing along with Rufus, so I did, too.  Then we started gabbing again.  The theater staff had to ask us to leave so they could clean the theater.  Out in the vestibule, I saw the heroic girl again and asked if she posted on imdb.  Yes!  Pierre Tremblay? Yes!  Are you Jenny? Yes!!  I hugged her, and she wondered who the hell I was.  I'm Meryl!  OMG!!!!

So I've met my first Tremblayan in real life.  We talked and talked in the lobby with a couple of Dave Cullen posters and some guy who just loved the movie but isn't on the net.  Such fun!  If I hadn't had to go home and feed my starving cats, I think we'd still be yakking. 

That was probably my last BBM experience in the theater, but by far the most fun.  Thanks, Jenny!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 01:50:37 am by meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: I met newyearsday tonight at BBM!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 01:32:25 am »
Two  things:

1. This is such a great story.  What a small and wonderful world.
2. WELCOME.  I was wondering where you were. 

It feels like home, but so much better than the home we had, hunh?

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 01:34:36 am »
that is such an amazing story! I keep hoping I'll meet a fellow brokie when i go but i never do.  I'm always in the theatre with people who seem to hate it.  I get the people who leave half way through or make rude comments or laugh...

Oh well, soon I'll be able to watch it without all that craziness
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 02:06:20 am »
Meryl, that's so awesome!! Glad to hear that our family members are meeting and getting along so beautifully!

TheStudDuck

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 02:09:08 am »
That is such a great story!  I love it!  That is sooooo wonderful!

I wish that I could have the chance of bumping into fellow Tremblayans, but sadly I believe I am the only Tremblayan who is representing Indiana (at least at this point in time).  But don't worry... I'll be the best damn representative you've ever seen!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
I met Meryl88 tonight at Lincoln Square Cinemas last showing of BBM!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 02:33:52 am »
Hey all!!! Wow, talk about a great ending to a challenging week! I just read Meryl's awesome and very flattering account of our meeting--it was a night to remember, wasn't it?

In honor of the origins of our friendship I posted this first on the Pierre Tremblay board at IMDb.

and here it is now, my account (forgive that I left out some great details like the older gay couple's singing Maker Makes! Which happened at another showing too last week! I am very tired, and will be off to beddy bye after this....)

Tonight I went to see Brokeback for the 12th time. It was one of the more memorable showings I have been to for several reasons! I went to the very last showing of the movie at the Lincoln Square Cinema in NYC, a very nice theater that I have only been to once before. I wish now that a lot of my viewings had been there...the sound was great--I heard the "c'mon" in the second tent scene, and the "c'mere," "hey," and "later" in the reunion kiss!

The print was also brighter, making the first tent scene feel much much better b/c I could make out Ennis looking at Jack more than before. I could also tell that Ennis was moving towards Jack even right after they sat up. That was a big revelation. He also does move forward to Jack in the second tent scene right after he kneels down... but I digress.

the great things about tonight all happened because of a glitch in the system, where the movie started without sound! I knew something was up when there was no sound at the RiverRoad entertainment screen, and so I ran out of the theater to tell someone. Took 10 or 15 minutes before they fixed it, but they didn't rewind the movie!

So me and two others went out again to complain. One of them started yelling rudely at this poor woman, but I just asked to speak to the manager, who was nice but told me they couldn't start the movie over again. That they'd give us a refund and a voucher to another showing. I told them this was the very last showing of the movie here, period, and that they'd have an angry mob of people in there if they didn't. Asked if they could show it in a different theater later, if not this one (since starting it over might mess up the start time of the next movie to show in there). He said no, that he'd call the projectionist and "he'll say I must be smoking crack if I think he's going to rewind it" b/c it has to be done manually, not by pushing a button. So he calls the projectionist right there in front of me, and a minute later hangs up and says, ok, he'll do it. Yay!

Before it started again, while it was rewinding, I met two nice people from the Dave Cullen site, who were on their 10th and 11th viewings respectively. It was a good crowd overall, nice and small too (I've been in packed rows/houses for the past three times, so it was a nice change).

Best of all, when it was over, I was talking again outside the theater with the dave cullen people and another guy, and a woman walked up to me and said she overheard me telling them before the movie started again about the guy I know (rontrigger!) who drove hundreds of miles roundtrip to see it in three cities in California on the same day, and she said,"are you from the IMDb board?
"yes."
"Are you on the Pierre Tremblay board?"
"Yes!"
"are you Jenny?" 
"Yes! Who are you?"
"I'm Meryl!"
"Oh my god!"

We hugged and I started to cry! I was so excited to meet you Meryl! We talked for a while in the theater lobby, mostly with another fan who was on viewing #5, and had some new realizations tonight that he was sharing with us. We told him beware of the IMDb board--it's addictive!

We talked about gettting together to have brunch with the NY Tremblayans...and about the crazy events of the week.

We hugged goodbye, and went on our ways. A great great experience that had me smiling all the way home on the subway! Love you all, and congrats to us all for our hard work and great attitudes this week. We all deserve some well-earned rest!

*MWA*!! Jenny

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 02:42:53 am »
Great story! There are two separate men I've seen like 2 or 3 times at my new favorite theatre (you know which one Celeste!) and all three of us always sit in the same place. I like to think of them as being Tremblayans even though I know they're not because I've met the Tremblayans in my area (yay!). I so happy for you guys that you got to meet!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 02:44:56 am »
Hey Court - I was just wondering where you were.  Welcome home - bet your new dorm room isn't even this nice!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 02:47:44 am »
I started hugging and crying just reading this.

Surf

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 03:03:17 am »
I was almost there too, Meryl, I was going to go to the 6:50 PM show at Lincoln Square, but changed my mind.  It would have been my 11th.  I have seen it there every single time except #9 which was at the Aero.  The last time I saw it there, the print was very worn and the sound was terrible.  I was disappointed.  So I decided I didn't want to see it again and just be disappointed.  Now that I hear that the sound was off all the way until they were taking the sheep up the mountain, egads, I'm really glad I didn't go.  I would have been throwing *fits*.  I'm sure you can imagine without ever having met me in person :P.  Glad they started it over for you all.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 03:08:47 am »
Surf!  I would have loved to see you throw a fit.  ;D

Yeah, the print was less than great, but fortunately I'm able to tune that stuff out, mostly.  It turned out to be a really great Brokie experience despite (or because of) the glitches.  ;D

*Hugs all Tremblayans*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Surf

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:12:04 am »
Which house was it in?  I bet it was downstaris in Jersey City?  Or was it still upstaris in Olympia (that's where it was the last time I saw it there and also where it began)?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:14:44 am »
It was upstairs in the Paradise.  It was there last weekend, too.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Surf

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 03:19:05 am »
It was upstairs in the Paradise.  It was there last weekend, too.

DAMN! A house I hadn't seen it in!!!!  Weird me would have gone just to see it in a house I hadn't seen it in before...like so I could say, "I saw it in every auditorium it showed in.".

Surf <-----weird.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 03:24:03 am »
Actually, Surf, you were there in spirit.  Jenny and I told some of those other Brokies about the Aero and your moment of glory.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:04:49 am »
I don't know what's wrong with me. This story brought tears to my eyes.
This new board makes me so gleeful!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 11:08:41 am »
That is so awesome for you guys!  I'm so happy for you, and so jealous myself -- while I've chatted with a few moviegoers there, I have yet to meet any fun obsessed fans, let alone Tremblayans! 

But it's good to know you can meet good people and good things do happen when you aren't expecting it.  Thanks for sharing!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 12:31:06 pm »
that is so cool.  what are the odds?! 
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 12:35:48 pm »
That's a sweet story! Really neat! It made me happy to read this!  :)

I hope one day, there will be a Brokie Convention!  ;)

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 01:46:36 pm »
Oh my god, that is such a great story!  Jenny I love that you were so proactive with the theater guy - I'm imagining you going up to the guy in your Matrix costume since that's the only pic I've seen of you, lol!  Reading both of your accounts made me tear up - is that normal?  Lol.  I really hope that we're all able to meet up sometime, somewhere..... 
   Cowboys do it better

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 01:48:09 pm »
Very nice story ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 09:57:24 pm »
I love this "old" story from March 30th, coincidentally the day Tremblayans started moving here to BetterMost.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 11:24:21 pm »
Thanks for the bump, Elle.  It was great to relive that last viewing and meeting Jenny!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 07:40:01 pm »
How'd I miss this story the first time?

GREAT story.  Yep, it's a small world for Tremblyans apparently.  ;D

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 01:19:16 am »
Thanks Elle, I'll never forget it. It was also the first time I talked to Celeste on the phone, right outside the theater before I went in. I still have my two free movie passes that the manager gave me as a thank you for my unobnoxious way of pushing for the movie to be re-wound again (thus saving him from the angry mob!).
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2006, 01:50:19 am »
I think that even out of all the big get-togethers I've heard about, this is probably my favorite story of Brokies meeting. I love the fact that you two could figure out who each other were without planning it!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 02:19:43 pm »
Bump one of the best Brokie stories ever for Jenny newyearsday's birthday!  MWA!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 02:35:21 pm »
Thanks for the bump, Elle.  It makes me happy to remember that night.  Seems like yesterday!  Happy birthday, Jenny!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 03:18:43 pm »
awww...I always like reading that!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 08:25:42 pm »
It's one for the books, or the boards I guess, that's for sure. Thanks for resurrecting this very happy memory and putting it in my birthday thread Elle!

Jenny

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:39 pm »
It's one for the books, or the boards I guess, that's for sure. Thanks for resurrecting this very happy memory and putting it in my birthday thread Elle!

Jenny

Yup!  My pleasure.