Author Topic: Jack and Ennis's trucks  (Read 6943 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Jack and Ennis's trucks
« on: June 17, 2006, 11:05:06 pm »
The firist truck Ennis has is a drk blue GMC (not Chevrolet). I think he may have picked it because it reminded him of the older black GMC that Jack had when they met. At that time Ennis didn't know if he would see Jack again. His second and only other truck is a 1966 Ford F-100 two tonewhite and blue is the same make and model as the red and white one that Jack had at the renunion scene when it was only a year old. I think this is another way that Ennis was thinking of Jack.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 12:39:46 am by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Jack and Ennis's trucks
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:33:36 am »
Jack’s trucks:
  • Black GMC: A colorless life up to this point? Maybe. For paint, creating black is an additive process; for light, it’s a subtractive process. So Jack’s life could be full or devoid of color.
  • Red “reunion” truck: Oxygenated blood. Jack is bringing Ennis back to life. He is also wearing a red shirt (possibly the same red shirt that’s in his Lightning Flat closet).
  • Blue Ford: Oxygen-poor blood, but still a vital fluid. Ennis nixes the idea of the “sweet life,” which takes some of the fire out of their relationship, but they still need each other.
  • Brown F150 (final lake scene): Dried blood / scar. Also the color of whiskey, so perhaps this is symbolic of their last taste of what little “sweet life” they shared. After this meeting, Ennis is shown with only coffee and wine, no more beer or whiskey.

Ennis’s trucks:
  • Blue GMC: Jack’s color, driver’s door is brownish (Ennis’s color). Prior to the reunion, Ennis’s truck is parked at the Riverton apartment “nose in”--his focus is inward, on his family; after the reunion, it’s parked “nose out.”
  • Light blue & white Ford: The blue & white sky on Brokeback Mountain. Ennis’s head is in the clouds; his relationship with Jack is a dream that keeps him going.

Wow!  This is all really interesting.  Also jpwagoneer1964, thanks for the info on the makes of the trucks.  This film is so populated by trucks that they just must mean something.  And, yes, I've always noticed the similarity between Jack's first truck and Ennis's first truck.  That little detail about Ennis's blue and white truck being the same model as Jack's red and white truck is awesome!  I feel like the beverage observation is interesting enough to deserve a thread of it's own.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:39:14 am »
Some thoughts that I posted on TOB a while back...

Jack’s trucks:
  • Black GMC: A colorless life up to this point? Maybe. For paint, creating black is an additive process; for light, it’s a subtractive process. So Jack’s life could be full or devoid of color.
  • Red “reunion” truck: Oxygenated blood. Jack is bringing Ennis back to life. He is also wearing a red shirt (possibly the same red shirt that’s in his Lightning Flat closet).
  • Blue Ford: Oxygen-poor blood, but still a vital fluid. Ennis nixes the idea of the “sweet life,” which takes some of the fire out of their relationship, but they still need each other.
  • Brown F150 (final lake scene): Dried blood / scar. Also the color of whiskey, so perhaps this is symbolic of their last taste of what little “sweet life” they shared. After this meeting, Ennis is shown with only coffee and wine, no more beer or whiskey.

Ennis’s trucks:
  • Blue GMC: Jack’s color, driver’s door is brownish (Ennis’s color). Prior to the reunion, Ennis’s truck is parked at the Riverton apartment “nose in”--his focus is inward, on his family; after the reunion, it’s parked “nose out.”
  • Light blue & white Ford: The blue & white sky on Brokeback Mountain. Ennis’s head is in the clouds; his relationship with Jack is a dream that keeps him going.

When Ennis picks up the “Deceased” postcard: It was suggested that the brown truck that passes in front of Ennis from left to right is an indication of Jack’s presence. Before we see Ennis leave the post office, though, there’s a red truck parked at the right of the screen--also Jack’s presence?
The two tone brown truck is a 1978-80 GMC/Chevrolet( the front is not visable) one-ton crew cab dually. The truck at the final post office is a brown Ford.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:40:21 am »
You all are much more truck-savvy than I am. All I can add is what I recently posted on another board: there is a truck parked next to Aguirre's trailer that is about half rust and half blue paint -- so Jack's signature blue and Ennis' signature brownish tan are intermingled on a truck that, from some camera angles, is parked midway between them.

Amanda, you may be right about the viability of a "Brokeback beverages" thread. Some people theorize that, after the story ends, Ennis winds up drinking excessively in his grief and loneliness. But actually he's not necessarily reckless about drinking. We do see him drink a lot a couple of times (tent scene 1 and while waiting for the reunion), but we don't see any indication that he's out of control. Unlike Jack, possibly, if you can believe Lureen's "he drank a lot."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:41:09 am »
Thanks for starting a truck thread, jp.  I've seen others, but there's plenty to mention.  Thanks, too, for that listing, goadra.  It's nice to have it all there to refer to.  

I like the idea of comparing Jack's truck colors to blood, since his clothing colors also recall that symbolism.

When Ennis picks up the “Deceased” postcard: It was suggested that the brown truck that passes in front of Ennis from left to right is an indication of Jack’s presence. Before we see Ennis leave the post office, though, there’s a red truck parked at the right of the screen--also Jack’s presence?

Interestingly, there is a truck with a red stripe visible outside the bus station where Ennis is eating his apple pie, and there is a bright red truck parked near his trailer in the last scene of the movie as Alma, Jr., drives up in a red car.  Could that last red truck again represent new life, only this time for Alma and Kurt?

Another thing I noticed recently is that Jack has a light brown truck at the scene at the lake.  A similarly-colored truck moves past Ennis as he reads the "Deceased" postcard (Jack exiting the story?).  Finally, a brown truck is parked in the yard outside the Twist home as Ennis drives up.  Though they're all different trucks, it almost seems that they are meant to subtly connect one scene to another.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 01:08:18 am »
Thinking of the last scene when Alma Jr. comes to visit Ennis in Kurt's fancy car... I've noticed (and keep forgetting to post this in the 'subtle details thread') that she's clearly listening to some song cranked pretty loud on the radio.  This always reminds me of Jack pulling up to Aguirre's trailer (right before the "look what the wind blew in conversation)... he also seems to be listening to something loud on the radio.  Both Alma Jr. and Jack cut their radios off too quickly to be able to identify the tunes very easily.  I have no idea what to do with that parallel in terms of meaning.  But, I thought it might be worth bringing up.

Meryl, I like the idea that both the truck colors and the colors of clothing seem to relate to colors of blood for Jack...  Someone once said that the all the red in the reunion scene (red shirt and red and white truck) can be red as a traditional symbol of happiness too (I'd add 'passion' to that list of symbolic associations too... but that might be too obvious).
 ;)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:23:20 am »
Another thing I noticed recently is that Jack has a light brown truck at the scene at the lake.  A similarly-colored truck moves past Ennis as he reads the "Deceased" postcard (Jack exiting the story?).  Finally, a brown truck is parked in the yard outside the Twist home as Ennis drives up.  Though they're all different trucks, it almost seems that they are meant to subtly connect one scene to another.

That makes sense, Meryl. The truck that moves past in the postcard scene is like Jack moving out of Ennis' life. I think I read somewhere that something moving from left to right across the screen suggests an exit, and moving from right to left suggests an entrance -- this would be in keeping with the mirrored movement of the trucks in which Ennis is riding (with paper bags) at the beginning and the end.

I hadn't noticed the similarly colored truck outside the Twist home, but that must mean Ennis is going to "find" Jack inside.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 12:54:42 pm »
The reason I think all these trucks are significant is that in one of the very first scenes of the road in front of Aguirre's trailer, there is a tireless truck junked by the side of the road. It is shot from down low, giving a kind of monumental feel to the scene and it all but shrieks, "Hey trucks are going to be important in this film!!"  :D

Speaking of, keep on trucking to 1,000, lat!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 01:14:10 pm »
The reason I think all these trucks are significant is that in one of the very first scenes of the road in front of Aguirre's trailer, there is a tireless truck junked by the side of the road. It is shot from down low, giving a kind of monumental feel to the scene and it all but shrieks, "Hey trucks are going to be important in this film!!"  :D

Speaking of, keep on trucking to 1,000, lat!!!
Like a lot of period films The vehicles are often not quite right for the era. The truck( 1962-1966 GMC ) you mention would have been almost brand new in 1963 not a rusted hulk. I no longer expect prodocers to get this right and I feel it in no way detracts from our movie.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 07:45:18 pm »
One more thing. Wouldn't have been cool if on the the day of the reunion scene they show Jack getting in his Red/white truck long before daylight in Childress, getting on the hwy,  few hours later seeing the sun rise to the east as his truck eats op the road,, eating sandwiches out of his metal lunch box so he woun't have to stop, coffee out of thermos, flasing back to Ennis waiting for him, back to Jack making his way through Colorado, pensive look on his face ( if he only knew ), back to Ennis chain smoking, back to Jack a few hours later, Road signs to Wyoming thru windshield bitting his nails and so on.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 11:31:13 pm »
One more thing. Wouldn't have been cool if on the the day of the reunion scene they show Jack getting in his Red/white truck long before daylight in Childress, getting on the hwy,  few hours later seeing the sun rise to the east as his truck eats op the road,, eating sandwiches out of his metal lunch box so he woun't have to stop, coffee out of thermos, flasing back to Ennis waiting for him, back to Jack making his way through Colorado, pensive look on his face ( if he only knew ), back to Ennis chain smoking, back to Jack a few hours later, Road signs to Wyoming thru windshield bitting his nails and so on.

Good idea, jpwagoneer. That would have been really great!

Somebody please start a thread on fantasy scenes they wish had been included. Not including NC17 scenes. Or, well, maybe just a few.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 10:20:30 pm »
bump
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming