Author Topic: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out  (Read 17858 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out
« on: June 18, 2006, 01:57:50 am »
First of all, let me set the stage for you.

It is 10:15 pm, and I am just about to watch "Brokeback Mountain" for the umpteenth time, and suddenly the power goes out. There is a massive thunderstorm moving through Indianapolis (the tornado sirens were even sounding), my boyfriend Cory is snoring like a freight train upstairs (yes, he sleeps like the dead... nothing can wake him up) and my 2 year old golden retriever Cody is frightened to death from the storm. So I sat down on the floor to comfort my dog who is shaking like a leaf,  and hoping the power would come back on soon (it took 4 hours). Sheesh! Life in Indiana.

Suddenly I began thinking about "Brokeback Mountain". And you know what? I "watched" Brokeback Mountain from beginning to end in my mind. (It is too  late now, but tomorrow I am going to go check and see if I missed anything). I actually saw the whole movie in my mind! I watched it. All of it, I think.

Can anyone else do this? I sure hope I am not the only one!

Boy! Talk about an obsession! Maybe I better get some therapy!!  ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 02:50:57 am »
I have done this too, but imperfectly.  There have been nights that that is the only way I can get myself to leave here and go to bed.  I haven't done it in a while, I might be better at it now, but there always has come a point where I bog down and get confused about what comes next.  But I'm sure I can do it better than 95% of the world population (though sure not 95% of THIS population).

I have started having urges for the short story again, which I haven't read in maybe a couple of months.  That might be a good goal, to memorize the story and be able to recite it, letting the panels slide forward.  Help keep the Alzheimer's at bay too.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
play the whole movie scene by scene in your head
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 01:05:19 pm »
What a good idea, David!  I'm gonna try that! :) :)
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

gattaca

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 01:19:29 pm »
I have done this - but it's done in individual scenes:

* When I'm walking around the desert terrain in the morning.
* Just as I turn the lights out and I am waiting for sleep - I play out scenes
* If there's a visual trigger during my day (a man wearing a Stetson standing in front of a mailbox, for instance)

The soundtrack plays constantly in my head.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:57:45 pm by gattaca »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:24 pm »
Well, I am certainly happy to hear I am not the only one who does it!

What a good idea, David!  I'm gonna try that! :) :)

Give it a try! You will probably amaze yourself at how much of the movie you can actually remember! It's pretty cool!

But I'm sure I can do it better than 95% of the world population (though sure not 95% of THIS population).

If you are in the top 5%, you must be in the same group I am! ;)

I have done this - but it's done in individual scenes:

* When I'm walking around the desert terrain in the morning.
* Just as I turn the lights out and I am waiting for sleep - I play out scenes
* f there's a visual trigger during my day (a man wearing a Stetson standing in front of a mailbox, for instance)

The soundtrack plays constantly in my head.

Oh , the desert would be the PERFECT place to think about Brokeback Mountain! I sure wish I lived near to one. My neighbor's sandbox is the closest thing to a desert around here! :(

gattaca

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:55:21 pm »
Oh , the desert would be the PERFECT place to think about Brokeback Mountain! I sure wish I lived near to one. My neighbor's sandbox is the closest thing to a desert around here!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2392.msg44553#new

David -
I have posted some photos of the desert terrain close to my home where I do my walking tours - there's open desert in all directions and much of it remains unspoiled.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 02:00:29 am »
Gattaca -

I just looked at your pictures and they are AWESOME!!! The scenery is awesome too. You are so lucky to live there and be able to see beautiful things like this every day.

Someday I will post some pictures of where I live. (Get your vomit bag ready though!). It's not really that bad; it is just boring.

Actually Indiana does have some very beautiful places (people are often surprised when they come here), but it is not even close to the beauty where you live.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:24:27 pm »
I've done this, too, David.  I haven't gone all the way from beginning to end, but I've projected certainly the first third in minute detail in my mind several times.  It's often the way I lull myself to sleep, in fact.  When I'm still awake when it's time for Ennis to get married, I skip that part, and pretty much any other part that doesn't involve Ennis and Jack being together.  It would sound crazy to pretty much anyone outside of this board and others like it, but I figure there are far more damaging (and ultimately less enjoyable) ways to bring on sleep than that.  :)
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 10:44:56 pm »
When I'm still awake when it's time for Ennis to get married, I skip that part, and pretty much any other part that doesn't involve Ennis and Jack being together. 

LOL. I often "fast forward" through the wife scenes when I watch it in my mind too! This may help explain why I can watch it all in 45 minutes.... or something like that! :)

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 11:59:47 pm »
I always skip the Alma scenes - except for her little star turn at the reunion.  I love the stark contrast between her 'mysery face' and the boys' soaring, devastating, euphoria.  Lureen I leave in  :)

Must time the wife-less version of the movie and see if it is indeed, 45 mins!

W