Author Topic: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out  (Read 17851 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: It's amazing what I can do when the lights go out
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
I always skip the Alma scenes - except for her little star turn at the reunion.  I love the stark contrast between her 'mysery face' and the boys' soaring, devastating, euphoria.  Lureen I leave in  :)

Must time the wife-less version of the movie and see if it is indeed, 45 mins!

W

Nice to "meet" you wolf. Thanks for posting! Yes, I really do think I skip through the wives.. at least most of the time anyway! ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 01:41:03 am »
LOL. I often "fast forward" through the wife scenes when I watch it in my mind too! This may help explain why I can watch it all in 45 minutes.... or something like that! :)

I often fast forward through the wife scenes when I watch it on DVD! Especially if I'm pressed for time. Still can't make it in 45 minutes, though.  ;)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:25:44 pm »
Part of me always wants to exclude the wives from the story. I mean, I think they were portrayed wonderfully and they are very well-written characters (and I honestly do sympathize with them). I suppose that's cause, usually, their presence means one of the boys is longing for the other and it makes me feel their despair. (Which is freakin' BRILLIANT.)

I haven't tried rewatching the entire movie in my head but many a times, I've gone and rewatched certain scenes in my head. Last night, for example, I triggered the very first shot and it's parallel shot in the ending (that sounds random but I just thought of them -- and felt so empty) and then after that, jumped to the Lureen telephone call and I was totally haunted by the "He always said it was his place" line. Many times, I'll recite Jack's "You have no idea how bad it gets" monologue in my head.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 06:26:20 pm »
Hey David,
               I often inject aspects of the movie into my own life , and i do sometimes go to bed , up on Brokeback. I picture you stroking the dog tenderly , like Heath did , when Jake removed a thorn from the sheeps foot , it`s so easy to let your mind carry you away, and as i`ve always said the strength and power of this movie finishes within your own mind. I feel that is why it has `Got` us so bad , it`s what happens in your heart and head that makes you want to keep going up that Mountain , and staying there no matter what . xxx Kaz
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:59 pm »
Hey David,
               I often inject aspects of the movie into my own life , and i do sometimes go to bed , up on Brokeback. I picture you stroking the dog tenderly , like Heath did , when Jake removed a thorn from the sheeps foot , it`s so easy to let your mind carry you away, and as i`ve always said the strength and power of this movie finishes within your own mind. I feel that is why it has `Got` us so bad , it`s what happens in your heart and head that makes you want to keep going up that Mountain , and staying there no matter what . xxx Kaz

As always Karan, you said it perfectly!  :)

I sure am glad to see you back posting on the boards too! :D

Part of me always wants to exclude the wives from the story. I mean, I think they were portrayed wonderfully and they are very well-written characters (and I honestly do sympathize with them). I suppose that's cause, usually, their presence means one of the boys is longing for the other and it makes me feel their despair. (Which is freakin' BRILLIANT.)

I haven't tried rewatching the entire movie in my head but many a times, I've gone and rewatched certain scenes in my head. Last night, for example, I triggered the very first shot and it's parallel shot in the ending (that sounds random but I just thought of them -- and felt so empty) and then after that, jumped to the Lureen telephone call and I was totally haunted by the "He always said it was his place" line. Many times, I'll recite Jack's "You have no idea how bad it gets" monologue in my head.

Buffy -

I randomize things too. Quite often I will just "jump" to my favorite parts, such as Ennis turning and smiling to Jack as they are riding their horses side by side. Or the second tent scene.

I just really surpirsed myself the other night when I did all this. I suppose it helps when the power is out and there is absolutely nothing to do. It gave me a chance to really think in detail. And I was surpirsed at how much I did remember... almost like the movie is etched into my memory now. :)

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 09:05:42 pm »
David, it's official.  I'm going to do a wife-less screening and time it  ;D.

can't do it in my head though, owing to a couple of children demanding parental participation in their own 'life of the mind'  ;D.  Will do it tonight with DVD - right after LOST  8).

guess I'll cut at the end of Ennis' alley breakdown, back on for Jack's visit to Aguirre the next summer, and cut again til reunion.  Oops, forgot Jimbo and Ennis on the road gang  :-\.  Jimbo I can live without, but I'll include him in the interests of scientific accuracy!  A shame I'll have to miss Randall though - I just love everything about that scene, and everyone in it!

back with full report tomorrow - hopefully!

w

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 09:10:33 pm »
David, it's official.  I'm going to do a wife-less screening and time it  ;D.

can't do it in my head though, owing to a couple of children demanding parental participation in their own 'life of the mind'  ;D.  Will do it tonight with DVD - right after LOST  8).

guess I'll cut at the end of Ennis' alley breakdown, back on for Jack's visit to Aguirre the next summer, and cut again til reunion.  Oops, forgot Jimbo and Ennis on the road gang  :-\.  Jimbo I can live without, but I'll include him in the interests of scientific accuracy!  A shame I'll have to miss Randall though - I just love everything about that scene, and everyone in it!

back with full report tomorrow - hopefully!

Hey Wolf! Yes, please do give me/us a full report. I'm going to be very curious. :D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:59:23 am by David925 »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 01:52:18 am »
You guys have much more mental discipline than I do. I'll think, OK, now I'm going to replay [whatever scene] in my mind. But as it goes along, I'll get distracted. Something will make me think of a different scene. Or remind me of something I've read here. Or give me an idea I'd like to post.

Tell you what, though -- you know how they say that people who are prisoners of war or kept in solitary confinement are able to stay sane by going over some book or plan or whatever in their minds, detail by detail? Well, if that ever happens to me, I will emerge knowing every single frame, every blade of grass or drop of water or gust of wind, in Brokeback Mountain.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 02:03:24 am »
You guys have much more mental discipline than I do. I'll think, OK, now I'm going to replay [whatever scene] in my mind. But as it goes along, I'll get distracted. Something will make me think of a different scene. Or remind me of something I've read here. Or give me an idea I'd like to post.

Tell you what, though -- you know how they say that people who are prisoners of war or kept in solitary confinement are able to stay sane by going over some book or plan or whatever in their minds, detail by detail? Well, if that ever happens to me, I will emerge knowing every single frame, every blade of grass or drop of water or gust of wind, in Brokeback Mountain.

Well to be perfectly honest with you, when I did it, the power was out, it was at night, and the only sound I heard was from Cory snoring upstairs. With noise and distractions, it would be much more difficult. But, you will probably begin to notice that evertime you watch Brokeback Mountain, it gets easier and easier! :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 02:17:05 am »
Well, now I'm curious, David. How many times have you watched it? For me, it's "only" 14 -- about five times as often as I've ever watched any other movie, but in this crowd, it's practically newbie.