Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014803 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« on: June 18, 2006, 05:26:07 pm »
I'll start. My husband and I have different inner thermostats, so we're always fighting over the temperature in our house. Yesterday evening, when he cranked the AC just about high enough to frost the windows, I fled to the 87-degree comfort of the back porch. He came outside briefly and admitted that it was, in fact, pretty nice out. So I said:

"You know it could be like this, just like this, always ... if you'd turn down the air conditioner and open the windows."

Let's hear about your experiences of using Brokieisms in everyday conversation -- especially when the other person in the conversation hasn't seen Brokeback and thus has no idea you're alluding to anything (this applies to my example above). Extra points if:

-- The quote requires you to employ slang or bad grammar that is otherwise uncharacteristic of your speech habits.

-- The snippet of movie dialogue (or story text) is more than one sentence long.

-- You normally don't speak English, but find a way to use the phrase anyway (either still in English or translated into your other language).

TWO BONUS POINTS for using any of the following: stem the rose, put the blocks to, wrang it out, son of a whoreson bitch, paw the white out of the moon.

FIVE BONUS POINTS for using "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" in a convincing enough way that the other person doesn't burst out laughing.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 05:54:18 pm »
I say "This is an unsatisfactory situation!" almost every day! I can't claim the extra credit because I leave the most important words out (because I am saying this to my son!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

gattaca

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 05:54:41 pm »
I actually said "this is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" on Friday afternoon at work, to my boss of all people (we have a very good working relationship) over some critical items for a project that had not yet arrived, despite paying overnight shipping charges.
I don't know if that actually counts though, because I might have popped off with a colorful phrase like that anyway, without having seen Brokeback Mountain. I tend to call them as I see them.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
I have done that very same thing, gattaca - said "This is a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" to my boss about a piece of a project we're working on being late to arrive from the vendor.  I said it before she saw the movie, and she just kind of chuckled in agreement.

Once when I was playing golf with my parents and I was on a roll of having some awesome drives, I looked down at my ball before I teed off and said, "You know, it could be like this - just like this - always."  Does saying any of the lines to inanimate objects count?

I say "Dumbass mule" on a regular basis, both at home and at work, and mostly when referring to just about any right-wing Republican or otherwise ignorant person I know.

I also enjoy throwing in a "The hell they are" at every opportunity.  For example, late last week, a coworker said, "I could never move back up north.  The winters are too cold."  I said "The hell they are," and she goes, "There's something wrong with you."  I said "The hell there is."  That signaled the end of the interview.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:01:33 pm »
This isn't very interesting... but "tell you what..." is now a regular part of my speech pattern.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 07:16:23 pm »
"Tell you what" has become a regular part of my writing pattern.   :) Along with various other lines straight out of BBM.

But as for speech and conversation - not so much. None of the lines work half as well when translated. I've on occasion used the original English lines in getting points across to our dog.  ::)

I do however use "Shit" or  "Sheeeet" quite a lot..... (too much, I'm afraid   :o ) because it works equally well as a not-too-terrible expletive in my language. 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 07:18:14 pm by Mikaela »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 11:13:38 pm »
Great examples, you guys! Thanks!

I have some friends who keep saying they're going to visit. First April fell through, then June, now July doesn't look like it's going to work. So now we're talking August. And -- you know what's coming -- I am almost hoping they'll cancel then, too, so I can say

"Well what the hell happened to August?"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 11:23:34 pm »
Great examples, you guys! Thanks!

I have some friends who keep saying they're going to visit. First April fell through, then June, now July doesn't look like it's going to work. So now we're talking August. And -- you know what's coming -- I am almost hoping they'll cancel then, too, so I can say

"Well what the hell happened to August?"

Hahaha, I told you on that other thread that I'll be back in the Chicago area and can meet you in September. Perhaps this quote could be applied to our situation too?

My dog likes to bark at anything she hears outside, both real and imaginary. I used to say "It's ok" to try to get her to stop. Now I say (what else?) S'alright.

I also say Tell you what more than I did before (which was never).

I've also said Never enought time, never enough more than once when things were crazy at school at the end of the semester.

Guess I don't get any bonus points.  :-\

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 11:39:52 pm »
I'd like to hear about someone using:

"rodeoin' ain't what it was in my daddy's day"

convincingly in conversation with an unBroken.  anyone up for it?

W

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:13:32 am »
I've started saying "ummmm" and "hmmmm" a lot. I blame this on Ennis! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.