Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014813 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2007, 03:44:46 am »
I think they're talking about Ennis's colors there!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2007, 12:53:40 pm »
I'd love if someone could post a picture of an example of Brokeback Bronze. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2007, 02:21:58 pm »
I'd love if someone could post a picture of an example of Brokeback Bronze. 

Sounds like the color of the older Ennis's tanned and weatherbeaten face.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #303 on: January 25, 2007, 02:28:29 pm »
Two of them at work this morning!  :o

My supervisor sent me an e-mail that made no sense. Ultimately it turned out that she had sent it accidentally to me, and it was intended for someone else, but, meanwhile, I e-mailed her back: "Hunh?"  ;D

Then, on my lunch break, instead of eating, I had to run out to get my watch battery replaced. That was a goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #304 on: January 25, 2007, 02:34:36 pm »
My supervisor sent me an e-mail that made no sense. Ultimately it turned out that she had sent it accidentally to me, and it was intended for someone else, but, meanwhile, I e-mailed her back: "Hunh?"  ;D

Interesting that you should bring this up, Jeff. As an editor, how would you spell that word normally? I'd spell it "huh." But to me, "hunh" is a Brokieism itself. Maybe because that looks more like the way Ennis pronounces it? For whatever reason, that spelling is so common at BetterMost that, while I might not use it when writing something for somewhere else, I ALWAYS use it here. It connects me with my Brokie identity. I have talked other Brokies into switching to that spelling, too.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:36 pm »
That's true for me, too, Katherine.  In fact, when Spooky first published his list of all the "huh's" of Ennis, he used the usual spelling, but for Cult purposes I had to qualify it by saying he used the "archaic" spelling.  ;D

"In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Heath, and the Word was Hunh...."

For the full list, go here.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2007, 02:48:04 pm »
Interesting that you should bring this up, Jeff. As an editor, how would you spell that word normally? I'd spell it "huh." But to me, "hunh" is a Brokieism itself. Maybe because that looks more like the way Ennis pronounces it? For whatever reason, that spelling is so common at BetterMost that, while I might not use it when writing something for somewhere else, I ALWAYS use it here. It connects me with my Brokie identity. I have talked other Brokies into switching to that spelling, too.

I always spelled it huh also, until I picked up hunh here. Using hunh to my supervisor was kind of like making an inside joke with myself; I'm sure she had no clue, maybe didn't even notice the n.

I have come to the opinion, though, that adding that n does convey the nasal quality that many people, including me, and not just Heath/Ennis, use when they make the inquiring noise customarily spelled huh.

I really don't know who is responsible for adding that n, however.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2007, 02:56:19 pm »
I have come to the opinion, though, that adding that n does convey the nasal quality that many people, including me, and not just Heath/Ennis, use when they make the inquiring noise customarily spelled huh.

Good way to put it! Not only do I now say "hunh" more than I ever used to, I say it with more of that nasal quality than the kind of higher, breathier "huh" that I used to say.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #308 on: January 25, 2007, 03:19:54 pm »
I use "hunh" anywhere and everywhere now, spoken and written.  It's one of my favorite and most primal ways of being ein Brokie.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2007, 03:24:57 pm »
I use "hunh" anywhere and everywhere now, spoken and written.  It's one of my favorite and most primal ways of being ein Brokie.

Sure enough.   ;D

'Hunh?' and 'Sure enough.' convey most of what I have to say most days to most people ;).

Wayne was saying on the way to WV that he's pretty sure that if it can't be said by a Broke aphorism, it doesn't need saying.  Of course, I had to go look up aphorism:

Aphorism (from the Greek αφοριζειν, to define), literally a distinction or a definition, is a term used to describe a principle expressed tersely in a few telling words or any general truth conveyed in a short and pithy sentence, in such a way that when once heard it is unlikely to pass from memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphorism

Ennis was master of the aphorism, wasn't he?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."