Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014836 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2007, 01:37:24 am »
I have had the privilege of saying both "Ain't nobody's business but ours" and "serious money" - that last one was in relation to what I have to pull together for Denver and Alberta in the coming months...if only I had some farm machinery to sell!!

::) 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2007, 01:47:24 am »
I actually once upbraided someone who kept calling me darling or sweetheart or something like that. ...

From you, Jeff, it just sounds nice!  :)

I agree - it bugs me when people with no personal relationship with me use diminutives - servers in the south are particularly bad about it - I think they believe they are being folksy, so I try to cut them slack.

Jeff's 'Little darlin' is affectionate - like Ennis with his girls and horses (and Jack!) - and doesn't bother me a bit...I think context matters the most in such situations.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2007, 03:20:17 am »
.I think context matters the most in such situations.

That's it exactly, Lynne. When Jeff says it, it's really nice. When a waitress says it, I'm OK with it, too, because it's usually friendly and sort of reflexive. What bugged me when the receptionist said it was that there was a power issue going on that made it seem condescending, a way to put me in my place in comparison to her big powerful boss (whoever the hell it was; I can't begin to remember) who didn't have time to talk to me.

When I asked her to quit calling me that, she acted all flustered and felt obliged to apologize (coldly) and change her ways. That actually gave me a little leg-up in our stupid little power struggle.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #353 on: April 13, 2007, 09:11:35 am »
Jeff's 'Little darlin' is affectionate - like Ennis with his girls and horses (and Jack!) - and doesn't bother me a bit...I think context matters the most in such situations.

That's it exactly, Lynne. When Jeff says it, it's really nice.

Awww. ...  ::)

We used to have a diner in my neighborhood--it closed back around the turn of the century--where everything, the furniture, the fittings, and, I'm afraid, the waitresses, had been around since the 1950s. The waitresses called everybody, indiscriminately, "Hon"--as in, "What'll ya have, Hon?" As Lynne says, context matters, and in that context, it was kinda cute and even endearing.

Lynne, you want a make some serious money in farm machinery, it better be hunnerd-thousand-dollar tractors 'n' sh*t.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #354 on: April 13, 2007, 11:17:16 am »
it's somewhat amazing how more and more of the lines come to play in "real Life".

frequently I also use "don't have nothin', don't need nothin' " to replace the usual response of 'whatever' or 'c'est la vie' or 'thats the way it goes'

sometimes, folks will cast a semi-bland stare and then say 'I like that'.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #355 on: April 13, 2007, 07:04:31 pm »
At work today I said "see you around" instead of my usual "see you later" to someone, but I didn't say "huh."

I guess it still counts, huh?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #356 on: April 13, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »
At work today I said "see you around" instead of my usual "see you later" to someone, but I didn't say "huh."

I guess it still counts, huh?

Of course it counts, but you need to make it a little more nasal: "Hunh?"  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #357 on: April 13, 2007, 07:13:25 pm »
Alright, alright....
next time I'll be sure to add the...... huuuuunh?

;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2007, 07:14:32 pm »
I was driving down the street...and I swerved and almost turned into a parking lot with a sign that said "ENNIS". But then I noticed that there was a T on the beginning that was obscured, LOL!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #359 on: April 20, 2007, 09:58:26 am »
One Brokieism I CAN'T do is find a pair of Levis in the color of Ennis' very pale blue version. I see them on other men, but none of the stores have that shade anymore.