Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014896 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #360 on: April 20, 2007, 12:12:29 pm »
Even Gilbert & Sullivan reminds me of Brokeback.  I went to see a friend in The Yeomen of the Guard the other night, and afterwards, every time I was referring to the character of Jack Point I said "Jack Twist" and had to correct myself.  ::)

Speaking of seeing Ennis everywhere, I saw an ad on a bus for something spelled Enyce, so of course my mind went straight to our cowboy.  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2007, 12:53:01 am »
OK, I have a question.  A few times, here and there, lately I've wanted to refer to our use of Brokieisms as a language.  But, it doesn't sound quite right to say the language of Brokieism.  So, how would we refer to this language in the way we would say "English" or "Chinese" or "French"?  For instance,  I can't really write, "I speak Brokieism" and have it sound right.
Any suggestions?  It's a wierd dilemma and "Brokie" is difficult to turn into a word equivalent to "English" or "Chinese."
 ??? ??? ???
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2007, 01:08:24 am »
Any suggestions?  It's a wierd dilemma and "Brokie" is difficult to turn into a word equivalent to "English" or "Chinese."

Well, I guess it would be Brokish or Brokese! Though I wouldn't use those terms with non-Brokies; they'd probably sound a little like when people say they speak Elvish or Klingon. :laugh:

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #363 on: April 23, 2007, 01:14:21 am »
Well, I guess it would be Brokish or Brokese! Though I wouldn't use those terms with non-Brokies; they'd probably sound a little like when people say they speak Elvish or Klingon. :laugh:

Well, I'm used to strange looks, being one of those who thinks Elvish and Klingon are perfectly legitimate forms of communication!  ;)

I like "Brokish."  Sounds official.  "Brokese" could be confused with Brokies.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2007, 01:52:01 am »
"Brokese" could be confused with Brokies.  :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  That's very true Meryl, but also sort of great.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I feel like this matter needs to be figured out in advance of the BBQ and Alberta.   ;D

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #365 on: April 23, 2007, 01:55:00 am »
Well, I'm used to strange looks, being one of those who thinks Elvish and Klingon are perfectly legitimate forms of communication!  ;)

And so they are. As long as there are other people who understand what you're saying, that's all that matters.  :)

I'm still trying to get used to the strange-look thing. It might be even stranger for a Brokie. Even as an outsider, I knew there is such a thing as Elvish and Klingon -- but how many non-Brokies have heard of Brokish?!  :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #366 on: April 23, 2007, 02:24:12 am »
OK, I have a question.  A few times, here and there, lately I've wanted to refer to our use of Brokieisms as a language.  But, it doesn't sound quite right to say the language of Brokieism.  So, how would we refer to this language in the way we would say "English" or "Chinese" or "French"?  For instance,  I can't really write, "I speak Brokieism" and have it sound right.
 ??? ??? ???

How about Brokie-lingo?

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2007, 08:08:40 pm »
Here's a way-out one....

I find myself moving between office locations, at times, in that posture Ennis showed when he came home to Alma and the two babies screaming. when he entered the kids' room, he had a semi bent demeanor, shuffle, yet purposed movement with eyes on target. everytime I seem to strike this movement, his essence hits me again.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2007, 08:55:15 pm »
LOL, it's always great to hear when Brokieisms extend beyond meer language and begin to creep into movements and other aspects of "RL".
 :laugh:

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2007, 09:03:58 pm »
 ??? ??? ???

Mebbe we're not talkin bout the same thing, but I consider I've developped(?) or learnt a third language and I refer ta it as 'Ennis Speak' - and within that 'language' I most certainly use some brokieisms. - you know I do.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer