Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014823 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #590 on: November 11, 2008, 06:08:03 pm »
Brokeism for recent times: When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing!

Thanks, F-R. I'm making that my mantra!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Check out a Brokie-ism that really works !!!
« Reply #591 on: November 11, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »
Tell ya what: here is a Brokie-ism that I just recently adopted — but I wish I'd done long ago.  Because it's surprisingly effective in real life!

I'm talking about the Lureen Nod — which occurs in the film after Jack's verbal daddy-in-law smackdown. Lureen gives Bobby a full-on stare, then intensifies it with a slight nod and a raise of her eyebrows — an expression which in primate code seems to mean: You know exactly what I want. Get to it.

My husband + I were in the bath dept at Lowe's, waiting to speak to the salesman. He had been helping another couple for several minutes, and then their conversation swung around to small talk — the kind that can go on forever, and typically involves the other party either leaving in a huff or 'rudely' cutting in. Instead, I gave the salesman The Nod from where we stood (around 15 feet away). He promptly and smoothly ended his chat with the other couple and attended to us.

A few days later I was in water aerobics — a class of benign ladies in a collective struggle to get fit amid echoing swirls of screaming kids, splashing pool-jumpers and hurtling projectiles. I tried The Nod (again, from several yards away) at a 14-year-old apparently intoxicated by testosterone and the sound of his own yelling, and — amazingly — he settled the f*ck down!

Seriously, I've been amazed at the effectiveness of this!  Another way Brokeback Mountain has revolutionized my life.  Heehee.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #592 on: November 11, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »
Wow, friend that rocks! I'm gonna have to try that soon myself!! Maybe it will get my wayward son to do his homework!!

And I noticed the "Tell you what" too!!

Way to go, friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #593 on: November 11, 2008, 11:09:31 pm »
Well done Laura.....I will have to practice it in front of the mirror, to make sure I get it right before I use it too...
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline August7th

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2008, 02:22:54 pm »
Recently, after hearing about someone's arrogant behavior, I said they must think they're the "stud duck."

BTW, I thought that Annie Proux may have made up that term, but I found online that it is oilfield jargon. One Web site defines it as follows: "Stud duck--The person having the most authority. Sometimes this was the toolpusher or the company man, depending on the type of drilling contract and the personalities of those involved. This was also the name given to a B-17E flown in the South Pacific during World War II by the US 43rd Bomber Group."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #595 on: November 14, 2008, 10:23:25 am »
Great Story Laura!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #596 on: April 11, 2009, 03:09:14 pm »
My dog is a bit ambivalent about rawhide chewy treats. He often chews them for a while but then leaves big chunks of them on the floor. So today I was sweeping the floor and complaining to him about how many he'd left lying around, and I said, "What's the matter with you? There's a thousand of 'em."

Fun to still be able to dust off a Brokieism now and then! Especially to an appreciative audience like my dog.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #597 on: April 11, 2009, 03:31:54 pm »
My dog is a bit ambivalent about rawhide chewy treats. He often chews them for a while but then leaves big chunks of them on the floor. So today I was sweeping the floor and complaining to him about how many he'd left lying around, and I said, "What's the matter with you? There's a thousand of 'em."

Fun to still be able to dust off a Brokieism now and then! Especially to an appreciative audience like my dog.

That's great K! :)
I don't know if you would have noticed from the Lonesome Dove thread, but the "but there's thousands of 'em" complaint was used by McMurtry, not in Lonesome Dove itself but in one of his pre-quel novel to Lonesome Dove called Dead Man's Walk.  In that case it's in reference to a huge herd of buffalo which a group of rangers is forbidden to hunt by one of their captains.

Lately, I've been having fun detecting some of the roots of Brokieisms (as they exist in the screenplay) in McMurtry's other writing.  It's been a while since I've used a significant Brokieism in real life, beyond little things like "tell you what" and "sure enough."  I think "sure enough" is probably my most common Brokieism.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #598 on: April 11, 2009, 04:53:12 pm »
Just yesterday I used something similar to a Brokieism.
Family meeting for my aunt's birthday. My brother-in-law (who loves BBM) and my husband usually take the aunt's dog for a walk and escape the lively event for a while ;D.

Yesterday both the dog and my BIL couldn't join my husband because of accident injuries (my BIL) respectively old age and a big tumor on the dog's side (sad story). Hubby went for a walk alone to see the new housing estate area.

Kidding comment by my BIL: "OH, Chrissi, don't you think you should be worried about your husband wandering off all by his own? Don't you think it's suspicious?"

My reply: "As long as he doesn't go with his fishing buddy I don't care." ;D

It was nice to share an inside joke with another BBM lover. I gave the DVD to my BIL not long ago and yesterday I got FB on it: he absolutely LOVES BBM! :D He said it's the best film ever, and he has seen it three times already. Yay!

He asked me what I think how Jack died! Sounds familiar? ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #599 on: April 11, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »
Just yesterday I used something similar to a Brokieism.
Family meeting for my aunt's birthday. My brother-in-law (who loves BBM) and my husband usually take the aunt's dog for a walk and escape the lively event for a while ;D.

Yesterday both the dog and my BIL couldn't join my husband because of accident injuries (my BIL) respectively old age and a big tumor on the dog's side (sad story). Hubby went for a walk alone to see the new housing estate area.

Kidding comment by my BIL: "OH, Chrissi, don't you think you should be worried about your husband wandering off all by his own? Don't you think it's suspicious?"

My reply: "As long as he doesn't go with his fishing buddy I don't care." ;D

It was nice to share an inside joke with another BBM lover. I gave the DVD to my BIL not long ago and yesterday I got FB on it: he absolutely LOVES BBM! :D He said it's the best film ever, and he has seen it three times already. Yay!

He asked me what I think how Jack died! Sounds familiar? ;D

Wow!  That's very cool to have a budding Brokie in your own family!  If he's seen it 3 times, maybe that's an indication of the beginnings of Brokie-fever.  ;D

He's lucky to have a Brokeback expert for a sister-in-law so that you can have some serious discussions together. :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie