Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014846 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2006, 09:16:58 am »
I still use the improper spellings that I've always used. It's interesting, because now that I've read the way Annie writes out the accent, I've realized that, yes, people in the mountain west really do separate the "a" (for "to") from the preceding word. So I used to say "gonna," and that's still what I write, but I find that I'm lengthening the sounds to something like "goin a" when I speak. Still looks weird to write it, though, so I don't.

Ditto ... it is hard to do that. It is like the "s'alright" thing. I always write it out like "It's alright". My speech has got the twang thing going, however. OMG! My Brokeback speak is going kill all the work I have done to speak with more enunciation!  :-\
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Brokeback Mannerism?
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2006, 08:12:07 pm »
Tell you what....

I had washed my hands quickly in the kitchen sink and caught myself wiping my hands on the back on my pants just like Ennis did after reading Jacks first postcard!   

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brokeback Mannerism?
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2006, 11:24:01 pm »
Tell you what....

I had washed my hands quickly in the kitchen sink and caught myself wiping my hands on the back on my pants just like Ennis did after reading Jacks first postcard!   

I do that, too! Especially because in my messy kitchen (never enough time to straighten up) I can never find a towel.

I won't add a reminder of what I think Ennis' next stop is, after the hand-drying.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2006, 07:20:58 am »
Yesterday morning, I got out to the car, realized something and said, "I can't believe I left my damn keys up there."

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2006, 08:13:28 am »
Yesterday morning, I got out to the car, realized something and said, "I can't believe I left my damn keys up there."

he he. me too. i got off the plane in SF and was about to call Eric and Ruby when I realized I left my phone in my car. "Can't believe I left my damn phone up there."
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Brokeback Mannerism?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2006, 09:07:49 am »
I do that, too! Especially because in my messy kitchen (never enough time to straighten up) I can never find a towel.

I won't add a reminder of what I think Ennis' next stop is, after the hand-drying.

Love it!! Honestly, I never thought of that before. But, Ennis surely does look excited!  ;D
Diane

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2006, 10:23:08 am »

Me three. I was out in the mountains this weekend, thrashing through the brush off trails and stuff. Lunch time rolled around, and I felt in my pocket for my knife, and it was gone. "I can't believe I left my damn knife up there." Didn't say it out loud, though.

Tell you what, I was pretty damn glad that I had left my car keys in my tent. They coulda been left on the mountain with the knife, and then I woulda been stuck locked out of a car, locked away from my cell phone, on the mountain overnight until Search and Rescue came looking for me and helped me break into my car.

Good thing Ennis didn't have anything important in the pocket of that shirt.

Well, ok, I guess his blood was on it. And symbolically I guess it's kinda like Ennis tried to leave his heart in that shirt on the mountain, except Jack took it and kept it....................

Guess that's more important than a driver's license or car keys, huh.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2006, 10:33:13 am »
Here at work this morning I used "Sure enough" and "Tell you what" in e-mails to my supervisor.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2006, 12:31:47 pm »
Here at work this morning I used "Sure enough" and "Tell you what" in e-mails to my supervisor.  ;D

OMG, Jeff! I just saw the little sub-text under your name! Too funny! Too bad that expression ("gun's goin' off") didn't find it's way into the film!  ;)
Diane

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2006, 02:33:47 pm »
OMG, Jeff! I just saw the little sub-text under your name! Too funny! Too bad that expression ("gun's goin' off") didn't find it's way into the film!  ;)

That's one of my favorite lines in the story.  ;D

I wish the avatar were a little larger. People probably can't make it out from the picture, but I'm sort of making a visual pun: In the photograph I'm holding an antique Civil War rife; hence, "Gun's goin' off!"  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.