Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014782 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2011, 11:29:34 am »
Careful! They say it is when a cold or fever gets into your ears that it can get dangerous!   :D

;D ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #871 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:31 am »
It was about a military historian named Lars Gyllenhaal, who has written something or other. But still....

Could be a relative. I met a Gyllenhaal a few years ago (dad of a classmate of my son's), and he turned out to be a second cousin or something like that. And the former editor of the paper I work for is Jake's uncle.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #872 on: June 25, 2011, 11:56:17 am »
He sure is a relative, although distant.

Gyllenhaal is a noble dynasty, and they're all related.

Anders Leonard Gyllenhaal emigrated to the States in 1866, and Jake and Maggie are his great great grandchildren.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #873 on: July 15, 2011, 11:43:06 pm »
I was driving home from Chicago about a week ago, through rural Illinois, and I came upon a passage of road with freshly laid blacktop. With the fresh blacktop in the foreground and the long stretches of green fields and blue sky in the background, I was reminded of the pavement-spreading scene.

Suddenly I passed a sign that said "Uneven Pavement." As a Brokie, of course my first thought was that the sign contained some deeper message than simply a warning about the highway surface. I considered the possibility that it was telling me something about my life.

I didn't come up with a really solid interpretation, but I thought it was interesting -- it's so Brokieish to scrutinize a mundane highway sign for larger hidden meanings.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #874 on: July 16, 2011, 12:11:36 am »
I hear you friend. That reminds me of Ennis's question about "when you go out on the pavement and the people look at you like they all know." That statement spoke so clearly of Ennis's desire to have rocks and soil under his feet again so he could feel at ease.

A strange sign I encountered in Britain last year was "Changed Priorities Ahead". Now that is quite a deep statement!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #875 on: July 16, 2011, 11:15:24 am »
I hear you friend. That reminds me of Ennis's question about "when you go out on the pavement and the people look at you like they all know."

Yes, and I think the fact that he uses the word "pavement" instead of "street," as people usually would in that context, is a subtle reference to the pavement scene earlier.
A strange sign I encountered in Britain last year was "Changed Priorities Ahead". Now that is quite a deep statement!!

:)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #876 on: August 16, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »
A while ago I was watching the show "Chopped" while working out, and one of the chefs who was competing said he had taken great pains with his presentation of the dish because "we eat with our eyes." That phrase stuck in my mind...where had I heard that before? I seemed to hear the echo of someone saying it with a Texas accent. "We eat with our eyes." Suddenly tonight it came to me! It was L. D., saying "We don't eat with our eyes"!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #877 on: August 17, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »
That's great, Lee!!

Sometimes I also hear, or think of, something - often it's just a tone of voice.
I know it reminds me of BBM, but I don't know what line, or who said it.

It usually comes to me sooner or later, and I hear the line said in that very tone of voice in my head.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #878 on: October 15, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
I was reading of the upbringing of Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, this morning. He spent summers on his grandfather's ranch: "he learned how to clean stalls, to brand and castrate cattle, to install plumbing and handle other ranch-hand tasks." This conjured up visions of Ennis as an Internet mogul, relying on his early upbringing. Can you just see it??

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #879 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:32 am »
I was reading of the upbringing of Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon, this morning. He spent summers on his grandfather's ranch: "he learned how to clean stalls, to brand and castrate cattle, to install plumbing and handle other ranch-hand tasks." This conjured up visions of Ennis as an Internet mogul, relying on his early upbringing. Can you just see it??

Can I just see Ennis founding Amazon? Well ... no.  :laugh: