Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1014863 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #940 on: January 25, 2013, 03:56:27 pm »
I was planning a family dinner with my s-i-l, the same day she and my brother will return after a ski vacation. She was planning to cook when they came back, but I thought that was a bad idea.

So I hear myself saying: You're planning to drive 5 hours on winter roads, come back at around 4 and start to cook? What if you have a couple of hours delay - that could easily happen - and then you'll come back hungry as hell and there's no food!

;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #941 on: January 25, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »
Kind of a stretch, but a friend of mine who is British asked me where he and I should "muster" before we go into a meeting together, so I replied that we should muster in the parking lot and ketchup before we go into the meeting.  8)

The wha' ...?  ;D

A stretch as a Brokieism, maybe, but nice quick-thinking wordplay!  :D

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #942 on: January 25, 2013, 09:41:56 pm »
I was watching an episode of "Hoarders" the other night, where a woman had 6 or 7 cats in the house.....yeah you guessed it....said to my son...."that house has gotta smell like cat piss".......UGH !!!
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #943 on: January 25, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
I was watching an episode of "Hoarders" the other night, where a woman had 6 or 7 cats in the house.....yeah you guessed it....said to my son...."that house has gotta smell like cat piss".......UGH !!!

Or worse!   ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #944 on: February 26, 2013, 04:41:13 pm »
I just remembered something I've been meaning to share for some time. It's not "my" use of a Brokieism, but here goes.

Necessary background info: In many areas of Philadelphia, the city has done away with individual parking meters. Now you pay at a kiosk, which prints out a receipt, which you place on the inside of your windshield (and then hope the parking authority doesn't give you a ticket. ...  :P ). Anyway, one of these kiosks is located less than half a block from where I live, and somebody has applied grafitti to it that includes the word señor. I can't walk past that kiosk without thinking of Jack in that alley.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #945 on: February 27, 2013, 06:14:09 pm »
Today I walked through the cafeteria area and passed a guy sitting there watching his food spin around through the glass microwave door as if riveted by a TV screen. I said "Wow, that's some entertainment!" Should have inserted"high-class."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:21 am »
This weekend I used three--count 'em!--three Brokeisms. I have already reported that I cried out, "If I had three hands, I could" while taking care of my three-month-old grandson. And then, when I was preparing for going back to work on Monday, I hung the shirt I was planning to wear on a hanger and the jacket on the same hanger with it. In a moment of serendipity, I put the sleeves of the shirt inside the sleeves of the jacket, so this morning, I put both on at the same time, warmed by the thought of Jack and Ennis's immortal shirts. This being Holy Week, I'm very introspective about those kinds of things.

The third Brokeism I'll report a bit later, when I remember it  ::).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2013, 05:51:21 pm »
Not my use of a Brokieism as such, but a Brokieism that happened to me last weekend:

I was going by city train from Hamburg train station to the airport, when a man with a guitar got on the train and started to sing a few songs, mainly in Italian and Spanish.

I didn't listen very carefully as I had things on my mind, but suddenly I heard him sing a tune I know, and the words: "quizás, quizás,    quizás".

I smiled to myself - Brokeback is everywhere - and soon after he left the train. Such a lovely little moment on a totally Brokie-unrelated weekend.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #948 on: March 26, 2013, 06:52:35 pm »
That must have been magical when you heard that song being played! What a great thing to happen on a train ride.

Today I was trying to check out a housing inspector and so I texted my friend Chuck and asked him if he knew a guy "name of so-and-so". He's one of the very few people who would catch the Brokeism there.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #949 on: April 06, 2013, 09:59:34 am »
I just ran across this on Facebook, and I swear, this has to be an undercover Brokieism.

Someone had posted an article from Slate about words that some people find disgusting for no reason besides their sound. (Common example, for some reason, "moist.") Anyway, people were commenting on their disgusting words, and someone -- not a FB friend; someone I don't know at all -- posted this:

Diane Smelser Catsup. Ketchup. Sounds like Cat sip or worse.

Question: Do you think there's any chance that Diane Smelser WASN'T making a Brokie pun?