Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016805 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 06:47:17 pm »
OK, here's one. My family moved in January and my sons -- ages 10 and 11 -- still hate it here. HATE IT. They nag me every day about moving back. Complain constantly. Threaten to run away. Threaten suicide. Go on hunger strike. Stop speaking. Offer me bribes. Beg me to divorce my husband so we can move without him (he has a job here).

I have done my best to be patient and sympathetic and help them find fun things to do here (including buying season passes to the public pool two blocks away!). But sometimes I just get worn down.

So today, they each wrote on their arms "172 days at Camp Suicide" in black pen and, beneath that, 172 hash marks -- one for every day they've been here. Then they spent about two hours whining about how much they hate it and how bored they are and blah blah blah ...

"Look," I finally said, "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it."

Unfortunately, they didn't ask "For how long?" because I would have had an answer for that, too -- one that would have earned me two bonus points!

Instead they just went back to whining.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 11:19:13 pm »
Gee Clarissa!  Really, thanks! 
 :)

Katherine I'm sorry to hear that your kids don't like your new place.  But, your post sure was amusing.  Under the circumstances, Ennis's motto seems like a good response... normally I wouldn't recommend it as a solution to most things.  But, it certainly seems like a reasonable way to think about having to adjust to new surroundings (when there's not much choice in the matter).

Lee,  do you have a photo of that tree?  It sounds cool.

I'm sad to say that I don't utter any Brokie-isms today.  It feels like a bad day when no opportunity to use a Brokie-ism presents itself.
 :-\
Let be.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 11:21:13 pm »
I'm sad to say that I don't utter any Brokie-isms today.  It feels like a bad day when no opportunity to use a Brokie-ism presents itself.
 :-\
Let be.

See, you did get one in before the day was over -- good save!

A day without Brokieisms is like... a day without anyone in the so-called real world staring at you and asking you what you just said...
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 11:38:32 pm »
A day without Brokieisms is like... a day without anyone in the so-called real world staring at you and asking you what you just said...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hell, if all else fails, I like to start a sentence or two each day with "hell." That's something I didn't do very often before, but it's pretty easy and doesn't call too much attention to itself.

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 11:52:19 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hell, if all else fails, I like to start a sentence or two each day with "hell." That's something I didn't do very often before, but it's pretty easy and doesn't call too much attention to itself.

oh lord- I catch myself doing that ALL the time now. And I'm even starting to talk with a twang. It came out today at work and people just stared....good times.

I'm currently awaiting an opportunity to work the following phrases into a converstaion:
"I got tired of your dumbass missin'"
"You're better off sleeping in the tent"
and
"You pair of deuces looking for work, you better get your scrawny asses in her pronto."  :laugh:
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 11:53:50 pm »
"You pair of deuces looking for work, you better get your scrawny asses in her pronto."  :laugh:

great Freudian typo...  ;)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 11:57:31 pm »
Oh my god! hahahaha  :laugh:
Hell, what am I thinkin'?  :-*
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 12:25:58 am »

That was a good one! :D

Was that really on accident Stephanie? Because if it was, it's a classic! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 12:33:30 am »
I'm gonna go ahead and plead the Fifth on that one, Friend.

Is my Freudian slip showing?  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2006, 01:26:24 am »
I'm gonna go ahead and plead the Fifth on that one, Friend.

Is my Freudian slip showing?  ;)

You go ahead and take the Fifth Stephanie. I perfectly understand.  But it sure was cute! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.