Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016834 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2006, 01:31:06 pm »
my brokieism is subtle. "Tell you what" come naturally now. I also say "dumbass" replacing the mule with with ever it is that's bothering me. "Dumbass driver." "Truth is" has also worked it way into my conversation.

My most noticable, though not sure it's a brokieism, is to use "Ennis" to describe my quiet introspection. I was hanging out with my friend, and we had great talks going. One moment, while walking along the sidewalk (yes it happens sometimes in LA) I realized I had not said a thing to him for two blocks. "Sorry man, I got all Ennis on you there, didn't I?"
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2006, 06:29:33 pm »
my brokieism is subtle. "Tell you what" come naturally now. I also say "dumbass" replacing the mule with with ever it is that's bothering me. "Dumbass driver." "Truth is" has also worked it way into my conversation.

My most noticable, though not sure it's a brokieism, is to use "Ennis" to describe my quiet introspection. I was hanging out with my friend, and we had great talks going. One moment, while walking along the sidewalk (yes it happens sometimes in LA) I realized I had not said a thing to him for two blocks. "Sorry man, I got all Ennis on you there, didn't I?"

I haven't used "Ennis" yet in my conversations, at least not like that, but the day is coming I suppose! :)

I have been  using "truth is" much more than I did before Brokeback Mountain.

It really is strange how this movie has not only affected the way I act and think, but even how I talk. I don' think any other movie has had such an impact on me. "Jaws" was pretty close. We went to the Bahamas a few months after it was released and I  was terrified to go into the water! :o
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2006, 06:56:55 pm »
Okay, guys ..... I haven't seen this one yet ...

I live in Indiana, my boyfriend lives in South Carolina .... I said:

"You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you. I can't make it on couple of high altitude f--ks once or twice a year!"

Let's just say he thought I had completely lost my mind. ;D
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2006, 07:02:15 pm »
Today my boss said to me, "If you can't fix it, you've got to deal with it." I said, "Hunh?"  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2006, 07:12:21 pm »
"You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you. I can't make it on couple of high altitude f--ks once or twice a year!"

Especially because neither Indiana nor South Carolina is high-altitude, hunh? Kidding. Tell you what, dly, I am very impressed. Working that phrase into your ordinary (or, sounds like in this case, not-so-ordinary) conversation earns you SEVEN EXTRA BONUS POINTS. Here they are:

:D :o ::) :-* :laugh: ;) ;D

And F-R, do you suspect your boss is a closet Brokie? The phrase isn't exact, but it's suspiciously close, as if he's trying to cover by substituting jargon. For responding with "Hunh?" -- a valiant attempt to draw him into a conversation in Brokie-ese -- you get ONE bonus point.  :D  Sorry, but you would have earned TWO if your response had been "For how long?" just to see if your boss would reply, "Long as we can stay atop of it. Ain't no control mechanism on this one."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2006, 07:34:16 pm »
Especially because neither Indiana nor South Carolina is high-altitude, hunh? Kidding. Tell you what, dly, I am very impressed. Working that phrase into your ordinary (or, sounds like in this case, not-so-ordinary) conversation earns you SEVEN EXTRA BONUS POINTS. Here they are:

:D :o ::) :-* :laugh: ;) ;D

Let's say it was a relatively ordinary conversation ... ;D .... Hmmmmm. What does that say about us?

Here's another one ("tell ya what ...",  I have too many of these to count) ... one of the guys I work with went down to the Rockies to do some fishing .... Guess what I said? Oh, yes ....

"You didn't go down there to fish ... "

He looked at me like I had lost my grip and said, "yes I did".  ::)
Diane

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2006, 05:05:39 am »

We had one of these back on IMDb, didn't we??  :D

My main brokeism is the use of "tell you what".. I say it all the time.

Oh! But I did get to make myself useful in the kitchen the other day and slipped in "I am pretty good with a can-opener".  My sis knows my obsession and tell you what, if her eyes had rolled any further up into her head, she woulda lost em in her hair..  ;)
Chut up!

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2006, 06:02:44 pm »
Yes, Sheyne and we also had one next door on CT, now buried... New summer Brokyism--I enjoy wearing my gardening gloves neatly folded and tucked in my right rear jeans pocket...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2006, 06:25:08 pm »
New summer Brokyism--I enjoy wearing my gardening gloves neatly folded and tucked in my right rear jeans pocket...
Now that's hot  8)

Do I get a point for using the word "pissant" today at work? Never heard it before BBM.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2006, 06:42:31 pm »
Now that's hot  8)
Do I get a point for using the word "pissant" today at work? Never heard it before BBM.

Believe it or not, I think the first time I heard "pissant" was on the Walton's. That doesn't seem likely, but I think it was Erin who said it. Hmmmm ....

Here is another one I have used (I told you I have a billion) .... I was in a debate with my brother who, I thought, was making lame brain comments. So I said, "you're a real thinker there ..." The look he gave me .... whoa! I thought he was going to kill me!  :o I let him know I was joking (I valued my life too much  ::))

Diane