Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016889 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #900 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »
I was attending a work related course today.

Lunch was at a nearby restaurant that had a sallad buffet to accompany the main dishes.
On the buffet table was also several jugs of water.
I did not want to pour my water from the coldest jug, so I felt one of them with the back of my hand before gripping it. The moment I did, the gesture seemed familiar to me, and it only took a second to realize that it was the same gesture Jack uses when feeling and gripping the coffee pot at supper in camp.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #901 on: November 22, 2011, 03:34:53 pm »
Isn't it funny how these Brokeisms have penetrated our lives!! Thanks for sharing...I'll have to try that when I pour my Thanksgiving drinks. I was always told to test the temperature of a baby's bottle by sprinkling a few drops on the back of my hand, which is more sensitive than the palm.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #902 on: November 22, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »
Lee, I think there is also another reason for testing temperature with the back of your hand, on a reflex level.

Should it be too hot, and you burn your hand, you're better off with a burn wound on the back of your hand. A burn wound in your palm will be a lot more disabling, and probably hurt more.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #903 on: November 22, 2011, 10:55:59 pm »
You bet, friend. And Jack, with all his experiences with lightning and fire, would have known that.  ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #904 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13:10 pm »
At church this morning we celebrated the Feast of the Epiphany, which was actually Friday (January 6).

The custom of the parish is to have a Three Kings cake at coffee hour on the Sunday we celebrate the feast. I decided not to stay for coffee hour today. I told the friend who was sitting with me this morning, "I'm going right home. I can't eat no cake just now."

;D

(If you find in your piece of cake one of the three tokens baked into the cake, you get to wear a crown. I told my friend, "In our parish it ought to be a tiara.")
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #905 on: January 08, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »
At church this morning we celebrated the Feast of the Epiphany, which was actually Friday (January 6).

The custom of the parish is to have a Three Kings cake at coffee hour on the Sunday we celebrate the feast. I decided not to stay for coffee hour today. I told the friend who was sitting with me this morning, "I'm going right home. I can't eat no cake just now."

;D

(If you find in your piece of cake one of the three tokens baked into the cake, you get to wear a crown. I told my friend, "In our parish it ought to be a tiara.")

That's like the king cake custom in New Orleans. Every cake has a little plastic baby baked into it. The person who gets the baby has to buy the next king cake.

Between the holidays and Mardi Gras, there's king cake in the office just about every day. No wonder a lot of people in New Orleans don't consider early January the Diet Season -- they hold off until after Mardi Gras.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #906 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:15 am »
Perhaps this doesn't quite fit the topic, but anyway. ...

On last night's episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, the perp had a pet dog, and that dog was  ... a Blue Heeler!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #907 on: February 23, 2012, 11:16:25 am »
My mum lives in a retirement village, and was telling me about one of the other residents who, prefers to have backed beans instead of the normal meals served up for dinner.....My mum said...."you would think he"d be sick of em by now"......

'
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #908 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:31 am »

"Sick a beans!" 

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #909 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:11 am »
Tonight my friend and I stopped at Dairy Queen and each got an ice cream. I had my cone in one hand and her cell phone in the other and then, because she was driving, my friend asked if I'd hold her cone for a minute. I said, "If I had three hands, I could."