Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016818 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1240 on: April 27, 2017, 09:22:06 am »
Brokies, I swaear. ...

Here's one I didn't use, but I swear I heard it this morning, on the Today show, of all places!

Just before I left for work this morning, all the Today people were sitting around the anchor desk, and Lester Holt, anchor of NBC's Nightly News, was with them.

In referring to Holt, I would swear I heard Savannah Guthrie say, "Here's someone who doesn't know how to quit us."  (Or something very close to that, but I'm sure of the "doesn't know hot to quit us.")

:laugh:

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1241 on: April 27, 2017, 01:43:40 pm »
I think "quit you/us" has probably entered the mainstream vocabulary, even if not everybody knows its origins.

But is Lester Holt quitting NBC, or what? That's kind of surprising. Or was she saying that because he was back visiting the Today Show, where he used to sit at the news desk back in the days when I could still stomach the Today Show?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1242 on: April 27, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
I think "quit you/us" has probably entered the mainstream vocabulary, even if not everybody knows its origins.

But is Lester Holt quitting NBC, or what? That's kind of surprising. Or was she saying that because he was back visiting the Today Show, where he used to sit at the news desk back in the days when I could still stomach the Today Show?

No, he's not leaving the network. IIRC, he sat in recently when Matt Lauer was away. It might have been a reference to his days on the Today news desk.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1243 on: April 27, 2017, 05:48:31 pm »
In referring to Holt, I would swear I heard Savannah Guthrie say, "Here's someone who doesn't know how to quit us."  (Or something very close to that, but I'm sure of the "doesn't know hot to quit us.")

:laugh:

good catch

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1244 on: April 29, 2017, 02:15:26 pm »
I used to think Matt Lauer was really nice and Katie Couric was kind of stuck up. This is based partly on his cheerful on-air demeanor, and partly on my having visited the Today Show set one time in New York -- Matt went around chatting amiably with people at the fence, while Katie was standoffish.

But since then I've read a couple of things that make me think less of Matt Lauer, sadly.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1245 on: April 29, 2017, 03:03:10 pm »
Isn't that the way it always goes?  I can remember hearing things about Rosie O'Donnell back in the day.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1246 on: April 30, 2017, 10:34:38 am »
Isn't that the way it always goes?  I can remember hearing things about Rosie O'Donnell back in the day.

Well, I don't want to hear them because I still like Rosie. My brief period of watching The View happened to coincide with her brief period of being on it, and I thought she was great.

But yeah, it's too bad when you hear that stars who seem nice are really assholes behind the scenes.

Like that Tom Hanks -- I hear that IRL he's the biggest jerk!  :laugh:  Just kidding. I think he's actually nice.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1247 on: April 30, 2017, 07:54:28 pm »
Like that Tom Hanks -- I hear that IRL he's the biggest jerk!  :laugh:  Just kidding. I think he's actually nice.

I think he's one of the few.   LOL

Many people have asked me about how I would feel meeting Madonna.  While I would have an initial thrill, I know from interviews she can be a big bitch, and if she were one to me, I'd be upset.   lol

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1248 on: May 02, 2017, 07:02:37 pm »
Not that this is comparable to Madonna or even Matt Lauer, but there was a Minneapolis newspaper columnist for many years named Jim Klobuchar (his daughter Amy is one of our current senators, along with Al Franken). I know a guy who, as a journalism student, idolized Jim Klobuchar. So one day he saw him at some event they were both covering, and he went up and introduced himself. "Get the fuck out of here, kid," Jim Klobuchar said.

My son saw the comic character actor David Cross in the airport. He went up to him and said hi and asked if he could take his photo. David Cross was nice, I guess, but declined the photo. That's forgivable -- he's not a hugely famous celebrity, but most famous people probably do get sick of that.

So anyway, you never know. The few times I've glimpsed celebrities I've played it cool and said nothing.

OK, one more anecdote. Nobody here has probably heard of him (Barb would know him), but Dave Pirner is the lead singer of the Minneapolis-based band Soul Asylum, which was a nationally popular alt-rock band back in the '90s. Their biggest hit was "Runaway Train." He dated Wynona Ryder for a while.

I used to listen to Soul Asylum a lot in the car with the kids when they were in grade school, before they developed their own tastes. They really liked the band. So one day Jack, in 4th or 5th grade at the time, was in the liquor store with me and in walks Dave Pirner. I quietly pointed him out to Jack and Jack ran over as Dave Pirner was checking out and opened the door for him. "Thanks, man," Dave Pirner said.

It was a thrill for Jack, but what I thought at the time is that he should have told Dave Pirner he was a big Soul Asylum fan. Switcheroo -- that probably would have been kind of a thrill for Dave PIrner, then in his 40s and no longer making hit records, to have a 10-year-old fan.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1249 on: May 02, 2017, 07:34:27 pm »
It was a thrill for Jack, but what I thought at the time is that he should have told Dave Pirner he was a big Soul Asylum fan. Switcheroo -- that probably would have been kind of a thrill for Dave PIrner, then in his 40s and no longer making hit records, to have a 10-year-old fan.

I'm sure it would have. Not that the situation is comparable, but that anecdote reminds of the story I'm sure I've told about the time I approached one of the dancers from PA Ballet and mentioned that I remembered his performance in a ballet several years before. His face absolutely lit up.  :)