Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1023353 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1250 on: May 03, 2017, 07:05:45 pm »
OK, one more anecdote. Nobody here has probably heard of him (Barb would know him), but Dave Pirner is the lead singer of the Minneapolis-based band Soul Asylum, which was a nationally popular alt-rock band back in the '90s. Their biggest hit was "Runaway Train." He dated Wynona Ryder for a while.

I used to listen to Soul Asylum a lot in the car with the kids when they were in grade school, before they developed their own tastes. They really liked the band. So one day Jack, in 4th or 5th grade at the time, was in the liquor store with me and in walks Dave Pirner. I quietly pointed him out to Jack and Jack ran over as Dave Pirner was checking out and opened the door for him. "Thanks, man," Dave Pirner said.

It was a thrill for Jack, but what I thought at the time is that he should have told Dave Pirner he was a big Soul Asylum fan. Switcheroo -- that probably would have been kind of a thrill for Dave PIrner, then in his 40s and no longer making hit records, to have a 10-year-old fan.

That's a cool story!  It is too bad he didn't say he was a fan.

My friend Cor and her daughter Kayla are both big Pat Benatar fans.  Obviously,  Kayla became one by listening to Benatar in the car while Cor drove.   7  years ago, Pat Benatar released a book, and Cor went to a book signing, took Kayla with her, who was 10 at the time.

As Cor was getting her book signed, all Kayla could do was look at Benatar with wide-eyes.  When PB asked Kayla if everything was ok,  Kayla replied with "I know all your songs, I listen to them with mommy in car.  I love them."

PB was so touched someone so young loved  her music, she got up from her chair, and went around the table and gave Kayla a big hug.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1251 on: May 03, 2017, 08:37:31 pm »
PB was so touched someone so young loved  her music, she got up from her chair, and went around the table and gave Kayla a big hug.

Sweet!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1252 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »
Yeah, it was.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1253 on: May 06, 2017, 10:33:21 am »
As Cor was getting her book signed, all Kayla could do was look at Benatar with wide-eyes.  When PB asked Kayla if everything was ok,  Kayla replied with "I know all your songs, I listen to them with mommy in car.  I love them."

That is a lovely story! Dave Pirner probably wouldn't have given Jack a hug, but maybe a fist bump! Jack was pretty thrilled by the "Thanks, man," so I didn't tell him he could have probably made it even more memorable.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1254 on: May 13, 2017, 10:54:57 pm »
I have managed to work "Sure enough" into a non-Brokeback fan fiction I've written for my own amusement.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1255 on: May 14, 2017, 09:37:18 pm »
haahaaha

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1256 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:16 pm »
This morning one of my co-workers used a Brokieism without even knowing it: "You bet!"  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1257 on: July 16, 2017, 06:41:52 pm »
On Friday one of my coworkers stopped at a bakery before work, and  opened up a box that  contained their version of a cherry cake.

she looked at me,  pointed to the cake with a knife and said "breakfast?"   I replied with (of course)  "I can't have no cake right now."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1258 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »
That's a great one, Chuck.

And cherry cake!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1259 on: July 17, 2017, 07:08:17 pm »
I finally got one!   :laugh: