Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016929 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1260 on: July 18, 2017, 12:44:10 pm »
Did you use the double negative "can't have no cake"? Did your coworker, who usually hears you speak with proper grammar, wonder why you were suddenly talking like a Wyoming sheepherder?

Whenever I've used a Brokieism I've generally corrected the grammar if needed. I hate to do that, but I don't want people wondering what's wrong with me. I feel like it still fully counts as a Brokieism.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1261 on: July 18, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
Been a long, long time, but isn't that line, "I can't EAT no cake just now"? (Emphasis mine.) Like in the book? (I checked the book.) Like his stomach was all in knots, or something? Like maybe he was afraid he'd throw up if he ate anything, or something?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1262 on: July 18, 2017, 04:58:51 pm »
I paraphrased the line,  I knew I wasn't going to get it exactly.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1263 on: July 18, 2017, 05:00:17 pm »
Did you use the double negative "can't have no cake"? Did your coworker, who usually hears you speak with proper grammar, wonder why you were suddenly talking like a Wyoming sheepherder?

Whenever I've used a Brokieism I've generally corrected the grammar if needed. I hate to do that, but I don't want people wondering what's wrong with me. I feel like it still fully counts as a Brokieism.

If I used  the double negative, nobody noticed or  commented.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1264 on: July 19, 2017, 10:37:27 pm »
Been a long, long time, but isn't that line, "I can't EAT no cake just now"? (Emphasis mine.) Like in the book? (I checked the book.) Like his stomach was all in knots, or something? Like maybe he was afraid he'd throw up if he ate anything, or something?

It was, but I felt we could overlook that because Chuck's quote was certainly in the spirit of the Brokieism -- especially if he used a double negative!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1265 on: July 19, 2017, 10:40:33 pm »
As I recall, all of the characters used the double negative quite often. That was one of their hallmarks. There was even a double positive that added up to a negative, as when Alma said, "Sure enough."
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1266 on: July 21, 2017, 09:54:14 pm »
lmao!  Such debate over the line!  :)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1267 on: July 22, 2017, 04:32:44 pm »
As I recall, all of the characters used the double negative quite often. That was one of their hallmarks.

That's what I mean. The rural Wyoming characters did, but I'm assuming Chuck doesn't. If I suddenly did it when quoting a Brokieism, non-Brokie listeners would think it pretty odd.

Have you heard the one about the professor lecturing that people use two negatives to mean a positive, there is no case in English where two positives mean a negative. "Yeah, right," a student remarks.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #1268 on: July 22, 2017, 04:44:20 pm »
Well, like I said before, I couldn't remember the exact line, so I gave an approximation.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1269 on: July 22, 2017, 04:55:31 pm »
Well, like I said before, I couldn't remember the exact line, so I gave an approximation.

"Approximations" only count in horseshoes and hand grenades.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.