Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016727 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1270 on: July 22, 2017, 05:20:50 pm »
Chuck probably can't get away with using Brokeisms without cleaning them up some, in his urban environment. But I can get away with it here in my Western town. People who know much better say odd things all the time here, and, besides, most people know me as an eccentric anyway. One time I was musing over how to repair a kitchen gadget that had gone awry, muttering that I needed "chewing gum and balin' wire" when my then husband overheard me and said "That's from your movie, isn't it?"  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1271 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:21 pm »
Chuck probably can't get away with using Brokeisms without cleaning them up some, in his urban environment. But I can get away with it here in my Western town. People who know much better say odd things all the time here, and, besides, most people know me as an eccentric anyway.

Same thing might obtain here. My friends think I'm eccentric, and I suppose they're correct. Nobody else around here goes out Saturday night in Western garb.

My friend Phil started calling me Cowboy Jeff, but evidently that was too long, so he shortened it to C.J.--like C.J. Craig, the press secretary on The West Wing.  ;D

This afternoon I phoned to make a dinner reservation for myself for this evening. When whoever it was who answered the phone asked for the name for the reservation, I said, "Just put down C.J. Phil will know who that is since he's the one who gave me that nickname."  :laugh:

I kind of like having a nickname, at least that one, anyway.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1272 on: July 24, 2017, 05:44:22 pm »
People know me as a writer who even uses who/whom correctly, so if I started using double negatives and ain'ts, it would raise questions that would be way too hard to explain. So I clean up my Brokieisms.

And "have cake" vs. "eat cake" is in the horseshoe/hand grenade category, if you're askin' me.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1273 on: July 24, 2017, 06:02:13 pm »
And "have cake" vs. "eat cake" is in the horseshoe/hand grenade category, if you're askin' me.

You don't think if you're quoting something you should get the quote right?

I had the text in front of me when I wrote my post.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1274 on: July 24, 2017, 06:09:19 pm »

C. J. is pretty cool. I was musing that I'd heard it somewhere before and then it banged me on the head: C. J. Box! But isn't that the name of a Wyoming author who is the rival of one of your favorites?

Cool name, anyway, but I prefer J. W. for Jeff Wrangler. Plus, when I hear the name Jeff, I always think of the Virginian.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1275 on: July 25, 2017, 02:24:11 am »
You don't think if you're quoting something you should get the quote right?

I had the text in front of me when I wrote my post.

In an ideal world or for official purposes, sure. But when you use a Brokieism with your coworkers, you're not really "quoting." You're pretending it's you talking. Which of course it is.

But yes, of course, when talking to other Brokies I try to get it right and, if necessary, I'll often look at the text or google it.

If Chuck, when offered cake by his coworker, didn't say "wait a minute!" and run to get his text so he could be precise, I can understand that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1276 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:44 am »
In an ideal world or for official purposes, sure. But when you use a Brokieism with your coworkers, you're not really "quoting." You're pretending it's you talking. Which of course it is.

But yes, of course, when talking to other Brokies I try to get it right and, if necessary, I'll often look at the text or google it.

If Chuck, when offered cake by his coworker, didn't say "wait a minute!" and run to get his text so he could be precise, I can understand that.

I'd rather quote it exactly. It amuses me because I feel like I've got a secret that nobody I'm talking to knows.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1277 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:46 am »
How about Aguirre, since they have so many traits in common?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1278 on: July 25, 2017, 06:28:46 pm »
My friend Phil started calling me Cowboy Jeff, but evidently that was too long, so he shortened it to C.J.--like C.J. Craig, the press secretary on The West Wing.  ;D

This afternoon I phoned to make a dinner reservation for myself for this evening. When whoever it was who answered the phone asked for the name for the reservation, I said, "Just put down C.J. Phil will know who that is since he's the one who gave me that nickname."  :laugh:

that's cool!!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1279 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:16 pm »

ask Marie Antoinette.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!