Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1017397 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1300 on: August 03, 2017, 12:32:14 pm »
I looked up some more info about what baby calves are fed and found that "milk replacer" has about 20% protein, 20% fat, and the rest is water, some vitamins and minerals and "medications" such as antibiotics. I still think that the best approach would be for the calf to nurse and then the extra milk could be sold at market. We're flooding the market with excess low-priced milk and a lot of it is wasted. Have you seen the huge stocks of cheese that schools get for their lunch programs? The government is subsidizing the dairy industry and encouraging them to over produce. Schoolchildren are getting less fresh fruits and vegetables and more processed grain products flavored with cheese. This happens in old folks homes too. Americans really do not eat very well, because of the dominance of corporate farming.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1301 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »
The protein sources in milk replacer can be milk-based, such as whey, or they can be alternatives such as fish meal, meat and bone meal, soy flour, and dried animal blood. I haven't found out what the sources for the fat would be, but I presume they would be animal based. Could be soy oil, maybe.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1302 on: August 03, 2017, 04:12:05 pm »
I looked up some more info about what baby calves are fed and found that "milk replacer" has about 20% protein, 20% fat, and the rest is water, some vitamins and minerals and "medications" such as antibiotics. I still think that the best approach would be for the calf to nurse and then the extra milk could be sold at market. We're flooding the market with excess low-priced milk and a lot of it is wasted. Have you seen the huge stocks of cheese that schools get for their lunch programs? The government is subsidizing the dairy industry and encouraging them to over produce. Schoolchildren are getting less fresh fruits and vegetables and more processed grain products flavored with cheese. This happens in old folks homes too. Americans really do not eat very well, because of the dominance of corporate farming.

I agree it would best for both cow and calf if they used more natural methods. And the alternative sounds really gross. I also know factory-farmed animals are sometimes fed chopped up versions of themselves -- forcing them to be cannibals. And the antibiotics are extremely worrisome, since overuse of antibiotics increases the chance of an unstoppable epidemic.

On the other hand, I think it's fair to consider that if all livestock were raised in free-range, non-factory ways, food might become way less plentiful and affordable. I usually go out of my way to buy free-range eggs, since cage-free chickens are often still jammed together into a big dark barn only without cages.

But I have enough money to do this. I don't worry about spending an extra dollar or two on eggs to avoid supporting factory farming. I buy a slightly pricey brand of sausage I've heard is made from humanely raised pigs. Not everybody can do those things.

And even I rarely shop at Whole Foods, where I think all the stuff passes the humaneness test, because I can't afford to.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1303 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »
Well, it wasn't "my" use of a Brokie-ism, but I just had to share.

Disney is launching "Frozen" as a Broadway play, and radio is playing commercials for it.   For those who don't know,  "Frozen" (briefly) is about the strained relationship between two princesses, one who can mentally manipulate cold and ice.

Anyway, in the commercial for the play, the narrator goes on about it for a while, and then says "The Disney play that shows you that love is a force of nature!"

LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1304 on: August 17, 2017, 08:55:40 pm »
"The Disney play that shows you that love is a force of nature!"

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1305 on: August 18, 2017, 06:11:54 pm »
I know!  When I heard  that,  I know I looked at the radio in surprise!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1306 on: December 16, 2017, 06:22:43 pm »
For starters, I'm essentially unable to use brokieisms due to the fact that I don't speak English on a daily basis, but if I get a chance, I never hesitate. When I'm having a conversation with my friend from NYC, I tend to call them by 'friend' (so obvious, yet I've never heard anyone call their friend this way). I often start sentences with Tell you what.... I may also take up a variation and opt for a ...tell you that at the end of a sentence (crazy me lol).

Whenever my friends decide to shower upon me these stock questions concerning my plans for the future, I love to go with: Nothing resolved. If someone tries to probe even more deeply and throw my personal life into question, I make a point of adding: Nothing ended. Nothing begun. You may say I'm rough-mannered, but I have a hard time coping with the stresses and strains of everyday life myself, hence I don't need everyone's opinion on my decisions, or the lack of them haha.

On occasion, when I hear my friends moan about schoolwork or other rather idle issues, the concluding remark springs to mind: If you can't fix it, you've got to stand it. This line is deceptively simple, that's why it manages to encompass so many untold grievances people have in crude terms.

I doubt my life will ever get interesting enough for me to hurl I can't make it on [...] or I wish I knew how to quit you at my future loved one, but who knows? Jk

If I ever need to cheer someone up, Lighten up on me should do the job. Once I must turn down an invitation, I say morosely: Never enough time, never enough.

Junior's [you're]/[it's]/[it was]/[they're] good enough is so much more fun to say than the boring 'Meh'.

If something bad goes down, shieeet is almost always there. I also find myself mumbling 'something' in my speech the way Ennis did, sometimes even subconsciously.

I did use You just shot my airplane out of the sky once to express disappointment in a group chat, I thought it was a common fixed phrase. But I googled it later on. Turns out it isn't.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1307 on: December 16, 2017, 08:29:18 pm »
Wow, you have used some innovative Brokeisms that no one else has reported yet! I, too, mutter Brokeisms under my breath, often. I remember muttering "chewing gum and baling wire" about a poor repairman's work and my then-husband looked at me and said, "that's from your movie, isn't it".  :laugh:

Offline Kananaskis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1308 on: December 16, 2017, 08:42:40 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, no one ever has a clue when I'm squeezing a BBM reference in my speech, so they are either impressed by the odd complexity of the language, or simply bewildered, and that's what makes it so fun!

I also wanted to ask you something. As I'm unremittingly learning English, I was surprised to hear some expressions, not necessarily brokeisms though. What I can recall right away is Alma's [...] we can still smarten up and head on over to the church social and Jack's I guess I'll head up on to Lightning Flat. What struck me as odd is these prepositions piled up perhaps to add emphasis (?). Is this an ordinary thing to say, or rather unusual? What I mean is would you go for such a lengthened expression in spoken language instead of, simply, 'go'?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #1309 on: December 17, 2017, 10:19:12 am »
For starters, I'm essentially unable to use brokieisms due to the fact that I don't speak English on a daily basis,

Despite this, you tend to use Brokieisms as much as the most devoted Brokie! Congratulations!

I doubt my life will ever get interesting enough for me to hurl I can't make it on [...] or I wish I knew how to quit you at my future loved one, but who knows? Jk

I hope your life becomes so interesting you don't have to hurl those at your future loved one.

If I ever need to cheer someone up, Lighten up on me should do the job.

I love this interpretation of the phrase! In English (or at least in American English), most people use it to mean "Don't be so hard on me." or "Quit complaining about my behavior." It can mean a more general "Don't be so grouchy" but more like it's because you don't like their grouchiness than because you want them to feel better.

Once I must turn down an invitation, I say morosely: Never enough time, never enough.

Good one! We could all use a nice response for turning down an invitation.

I did use You just shot my airplane out of the sky once to express disappointment in a group chat, I thought it was a common fixed phrase. But I googled it later on. Turns out it isn't.

:laugh: But everyone probably knew what you meant and was impressed by your literary turns of phrase.