Author Topic: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"  (Read 1016849 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Report your use of Brokieisms in so-called "real life"
« Reply #1340 on: July 31, 2019, 06:06:09 pm »
Tent don't look quite right!

Well, it's not goin' anywhere (except to Bailey, Colorado, for a conference)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online serious crayons

« Reply #1341 on: August 01, 2019, 11:32:05 am »
I been ta Bailey. I know what they've got there for girls like you.

My family used to take summer vacations there about half a century ago. It may have changed a bit since then. My family also vacationed in sleepy little towns like Aspen and Jackson WY. I remember watching my first Marx Bros. movie and eating Space Food Sticks in a big tent in Jackson. I saw my first Woody Allen movie in a shack-like indie theater in Aspen as hippies roamed the streets outside.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1342 on: August 04, 2019, 06:36:01 pm »
 :laugh: LOL! (by the way, I hear LOL doesn't mean laugh out loud anymore).  ???

Bailey must have been very nice a few decades ago. I stayed at a resort that is being renovated called Glen-Isle. Unfortunately it is right next to the road which has become a major highway and is the favorite route of trucks bringing stuff to market in Denver. The campground was about a mile away from the lodge but it was just as noisy either place. Plus, the truck headlights shined into my tent at night. And there was quite a bit of rain. Although I have a rainfly on my tent, it can only do so much. Nevertheless I enjoyed camping out and especially when I came home and was able to appreciate my little abode with its many comforts. . .especially its relative peace and quiet!!

Online serious crayons

« Reply #1343 on: August 04, 2019, 07:11:03 pm »
Quote from: Front-Ranger link=topic=2723.msg701034#msg701034 date=156[quot4958161
:laugh: LOL! (by the way, I hear LOL doesn't mean laugh out loud anymore).  ???]

???  What does it mean, then?

peace and quiet!!

Did you send up a prayer of thanks that your renter's not playing her harmonica?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1344 on: August 06, 2019, 10:49:27 am »
They say it's an expression of irony. Those Millennials; they sure do like irony.

Did you send up a prayer of thanks that your renter's not playing her harmonica?
Yes, she's not my renter anymore...she finally moved out in May and I've been too freaked out to advertise for another one. So it's very peaceful and quiet up there.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1345 on: August 06, 2019, 03:40:36 pm »
:laugh: LOL! (by the way, I hear LOL doesn't mean laugh out loud anymore).  ???

They say it's an expression of irony. Those Millennials; they sure do like irony.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online serious crayons

« Reply #1346 on: August 07, 2019, 09:39:54 am »
I've heard of older people thinking it meant lots of love. Also, an older Brokie once said he initially thought it meant lots of luck. So someone said they were going to the dentist, and he replied LOL.

I was curious, so I looked it up and found the passage below, from the Chronicle of Higher Education. I've noticed the hahaha thing, and like it better -- I've never been a huge fan of LOL because I think it's rarely literally true. I've noticed people putting lol at the end of posts to indicate they're kidding. (EMC stands for electronically mediated communication.)

https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2013/03/01/txtng-rules/

LOL no longer means ‘laughing out loud’ (so the OED gets credit for including LOL in the third edition, but the definition is already out of date). To show laughter, EMC now often relies on “hahaha” (students tell me that you need at least three ha’s to show laughter if they are not capitalized). LOL is now a way to flag that a message is meant to be funny (similar to jk—‘just kidding’) or to signal irony. LOL can also be a way to acknowledge that a writer has received a text—a written version of a nod of the head and a smile (“a chuckle at most,” one student told me).

But my sons, 23- and 24-yo millennials, sometimes say LOL to acknowledge something funny I've said in a text. Maybe they just does it to humor me, knowing a boomer is likely to be behind on the latest EMC.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1347 on: October 06, 2019, 05:29:23 pm »
A friend at church was admiring my purse today. It's one that used to belong to my mom and is bright turquoise. I said it needed a little sprucing up because the turquoise was wearing off around the edges. She said she would use turquoise duct tape. "You're such a practical person, Lori," replied I, and the Brokieism was in the back of my mind. But then she said, "Bubble gum and duct tape, that's me!" So that really is an expression that exists!

Online serious crayons

« Reply #1348 on: October 07, 2019, 10:22:27 am »
But then she said, "Bubble gum and duct tape, that's me!" So that really is an expression that exists!

Or ... she's an undercover Brokie!

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1349 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:06 pm »
:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!