Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 46540 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Where is everybody from?
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:23:57 am »
I thought this might be interesting because I  have often been curious how widespread Brokeback Mountain fever really is, and in what parts of the world people are experiencing this fever.

Indianapolis Indiana, U.S.A. here. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:31:33 am »
Technically I am from Costa Rica.  I was born there, my parents are from there, but I was raised on Long Island, a suburb of New York City.  I'm happy to say that I don't have any discernible accent from either New Yawk or Lawn Guyland, as folks from the SF trip can attest to. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:36:45 am »
Hey Juan!

You have been on Bettermost longer than I have, but I'm glad to meet you!

I'll  look forward to reading your posts and threads on here! :)

By the way, I have travelled to Costa Rica (Puerto Jimenez... Oh, I hope  I spelled that correctly). It is an absolutely beautfiul part of the world, and the people were so nice. They quickly forgave me when I attempted to speak Spanish. Yes, my Spanish was REALLY bad!!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 02:41:26 am by David925 »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:38:42 am »
Hey David, very nice to meet you as well!  Yeah I've been on here for a bit, but I think you predate me from IMDB.  I'm enjoying your posts already.

;D

Juan

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 02:43:32 am »
Hey David, very nice to meet you as well!  Yeah I've been on here for a bit, but I think you predate me from IMDB.  I'm enjoying your posts already.

;D

Juan

IMDb... "Troll Central"! I'm am slowly weaning myself from there and on to Bettermost. People seem  so much nicer here.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 02:49:13 am »
Absolutely, much nicer people here.  Funny, smart, caring, a great bunch.  I think you'll dig it here.

Juan

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 02:02:37 am »
Hi David! You already know where I'm from (Ohio) but I wanted to contribute to your poll  :)
Let's hear it for the lovely, conservative Midwest!  ;)
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 02:11:47 am »
Hi David! You already know where I'm from (Ohio) but I wanted to contribute to your poll  :)
Let's hear it for the lovely, conservative Midwest!  ;)

Why thank you Stephanie! Hopefully a few more will answer my poll.

It is conservative. But you know what? So far, the conservative states have 50% of the poll! Not too bad for the midwest!

Thanks again Stephanie!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 02:50:21 am »
We  just had a vote for Western Europe! Who was it?

Thank you for answering the poll!

I think it is 2 for the Midwest,  One for Mexico/Central/South  America (Thank you Juan!) and one for Western Europe!

Please keep responding! This really could be interesting!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 02:51:45 am »
I just saw another one for the South!!

Please identify yourself!!  Who are you?? :)

We would all love to  know!!

Offline BB Stacker

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 02:58:44 am »
Huntsville, Alabama

Home of rocket scientists and rednecks, not necessarily in that order.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 03:03:56 am »
Huntsville, Alabama

Home of rocket scientists and rednecks, not necessarily in that order.

Bb  Stacker... thank you for answering the poll!

I have been  through Huntsville, Alabama! It is a BEAUTIFUL part of the country!

By the way, welcome to Bettermost! :)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 09:12:46 am »
David,

I'm from Tennessee and work in Huntsville, AL now.  Lisa (BB Stacker) & I are R/L friends - we bonded over beers and trivia a few years ago (3?).  (She said it was OK to tell people that.)  The home of my heart, however, is Boston, MA where I lived for 8 years.  When circumstances permit, I'll be moving on -- I just feel too out-of-step with most of the people around me.  It can be tiresome and lonely.

You should go check out our frappr map and add yourself, if you haven't already done so:

www.frappr.com/bettermost

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 09:48:21 am »
I see we U.S. Midwesterners are in the majority. (All three of us, as of this writing.)

I have lived in the Chicago area since January, but am originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and lived there most of my life. I also lived in New Orleans for seven years. (I also lived very briefly in Ketchum, Idaho, and in New York.) I have never seen a BetterMost member from either Minnesota or Louisiana, but if there are any, drop me a line, say if your there!

And Stephanie and David, who you callin conservative? Minnesota was the only state in the union to vote for Walter Mondale against Ronald Reagan in 1984 (course, Mondale is from Minnesota). Actually, though, Minnesota has voted for Democrats in every presidential election. So has Illinois, I believe (well, I guess not in 1984). Politically, at least, not all of the Midwest is conservative.

Socially, it may be a different story ...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 09:53:44 am »
I chose U.S. Northeast/East even though I'm more technically in the South (Boca Raton, Florida - on the east coast between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale).  I think of Florida more as the East Coast than as the South because most people here, at least in this part of Florida, are from New York anyway.

Good idea for a poll, David!  And welcome.  :)
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 10:05:24 am »
Welcome to BetterMost David!

It is so much nicer here than IMDB.   And we have all these great pictures too!

I am a true blue Connecticut Yankee.   But as of late, I have been adding alot of "Y'alls, sure enoughs, and tell you whats" to my dialog!   LOL.     I think my next collector car will actually be an old Jack Twist type of pick up truck.  This way I can wear my Black cowbot hat in it!     :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 11:59:04 am »
Hi David, welcome to BetterMost  :)

The second vote for Western Europe is mine (Germany, to be exact).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:27:49 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 01:15:27 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost David, I'm sure you'll love it here.

I was born in Arizona, but we moved to Illinois when I was 9 months old, so I'm definitely a midwesterner. Home is in southern IL but I go to college in the Chicago suburbs.

Giancarlo

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »
I was born in Madrid, Spain. :)

gattaca

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 01:36:47 pm »
Hi again, David. :)

I was born in Boston but I now live in Tucson, AZ.
I've lived in California, Oregon, New York, Osaka Japan, Penang Malaysia, and La Paz Mexico.

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 03:47:16 pm »
This old Brokeback broad is from way Northern California, the smallish city of Eureka, (although my heart is sometimes in NYC, where long ago I spent five years).  I haven't found any Brokaholics here; there must be few but they sure aren't making themselves known.  Awful sorry I missed the SF/Castro event, but I've been away from this site for a couple of months and had just started coming back. I gotta say I'm really enjoying the friendly Tremblays and all the other more recent visitors.  The spirit is high here. Ciao, Iris/Elaine ;)
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 04:53:54 pm »
We  just had a vote for Western Europe! Who was it?
Me! greetings from Belgium on the first day of the state visit by queen Beatrix  :D
(I'd like to post a picture here but I haven't figured that out...)

Thank you for answering the poll!
graag gedaan!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 05:04:06 pm »
Another voice and vote from Western Europe here. :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 06:39:23 pm »
Of course, most people already know I'm from Toronto - that's in Canada, you know!  ;D
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 07:47:10 pm »
Of course, most people already know I'm from Toronto - that's in Canada, you know!  ;D

Roland - I am familiar with Toronto! I drove through it twice on my way to beautiful Quebec! I wish we would have stopped and stayed for awhile. It looked like a very nice city.

Another voice and vote from Western Europe here. :)

Mikaela.. thanks for voting! :)

Me! greetings from Belgium on the first day of the state visit by queen Beatrix  :D
(I'd like to post a picture here but I haven't figured that out...)
graag gedaan!

belbbmfan... Oh Queen Beatrix!! I love her! Thanks for replying! I look forward to reading your posts here.
Groeten uit het warme en vochtig Indiana!

This old Brokeback broad is from way Northern California, the smallish city of Eureka, (although my heart is sometimes in NYC, where long ago I spent five years).  I haven't found any Brokaholics here; there must be few but they sure aren't making themselves known.  Awful sorry I missed the SF/Castro event, but I've been away from this site for a couple of months and had just started coming back. I gotta say I'm really enjoying the friendly Tremblays and all the other more recent visitors.  The spirit is high here. Ciao, Iris/Elaine ;)

Hi Iris/Elaine... I have never been to Eureka, but I have certainly heard of it! Yes, the spirit does seem high here! I look forward to reading your posts.

Howdy, pardners!

I am from Texas, a native of that state, born in Grand Prairie (part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area), but resident in the beautiful capital of Austin since 1973 (when I was six years old). I'm a city boy through and through, but just a couple of generations removed from farming and ranching folk. A great-uncle of mine was a real-life cowboy, and my mother tells me that Ennis reminded her a lot of him. One of my direct ancestors (the father or grandfather of a great-grandmother) has also been described as a "cowpuncher", and a great-grandfather was a ranch man turned farmer.

Texas is an unusual state in being at the confluence of the South, Midwest, and Southwest. I opted for U.S. Southwest in the poll, but Texas has a little of the other two in the mix as well. Never been to Childress, Jack's Lone Star home; that might prove a good pilgrimage destination in the future.

Cheers,
 :)
Scott in Central Texas

Hey Scott! Thanks for responding! I look forward to reading your posts too. I have been to Austin and Houston before. And a very quick stop in Dallas once. Texas is a wonderful state! You have a little bit of EVERYTHING there!

I have to ask though.... what is a cowpuncher?  ???

Hi again, David. :)

I was born in Boston but I now live in Tucson, AZ.
I've lived in California, Oregon, New York, Osaka Japan, Penang Malaysia, and La Paz Mexico.

Hi Gregg.. I am already familiar with your part of the country from your beautiful pictures... thanks for sharing them with us! I am also reading your journal. Thanks for all your input here! I appreciate it! By the way, Boston is a great city too! :)

I was born in Madrid, Spain. :)

Giancarlo... you had several ways you could have voted... Western Europe, Southern Europe, or Western U.S.! Maybe I should have put a Southwestern Europe on the list... but I was afraid I was going to run out of room. Thanks for all the pictures you post on here. I enjoy looking at them, although the pictures of the paella did make me hungry! ;)

I think I am going to have to continue this on another post.... it's getting long! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 08:02:30 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost David, I'm sure you'll love it here.

I was born in Arizona, but we moved to Illinois when I was 9 months old, so I'm definitely a midwesterner. Home is in southern IL but I go to college in the Chicago suburbs.

Cmr - Thanks for the welcome!  :)

I am familiar with Southern Illinois. I lived in Evansville, Indiana for about 8 years. Have you ever been to Garden of the Gods? It is beautiful there. Thanks for replying! I am looking forward to reading your posts on here. :)

Hi David, welcome to BetterMost  :)

The second vote for Western Europe is mine (Germany, to be exact).

Penthesilea - Thanks for the welcome! You live in Germany! I bet you are busy watching the World Cup right now! I have been trying to keep up with it. Some of the people there are dressing up in beautiful costumes! I am cheering for The Netherlands! I hope they win! It looks like the whole country is bustling with activity right now! :)

Welcome to BetterMost David!

It is so much nicer here than IMDB.   And we have all these great pictures too!

I am a true blue Connecticut Yankee.   But as of late, I have been adding alot of "Y'alls, sure enoughs, and tell you whats" to my dialog!   LOL.     I think my next collector car will actually be an old Jack Twist type of pick up truck.  This way I can wear my Black cowbot hat in it!     :)

Hi David! I have been reading your posts all over Bettermost. They are really great! I am looking forward to reading more of them in the weeks and months to come! Thanks for the welcome! :)

I chose U.S. Northeast/East even though I'm more technically in the South (Boca Raton, Florida - on the east coast between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale).  I think of Florida more as the East Coast than as the South because most people here, at least in this part of Florida, are from New York anyway.

Good idea for a poll, David!  And welcome.  :)

Hi Barb! I love South Florida. I lived there for a couple of years. Have you ever heard of Plantation? It is on the west side of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you have heard of it. I still miss it sometimes. I may move back someday! Thanks for the welcome and compliment on my poll! I think it is interesting! :)

I see we U.S. Midwesterners are in the majority. (All three of us, as of this writing.)

I have lived in the Chicago area since January, but am originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota, and lived there most of my life. I also lived in New Orleans for seven years. (I also lived very briefly in Ketchum, Idaho, and in New York.) I have never seen a BetterMost member from either Minnesota or Louisiana, but if there are any, drop me a line, say if your there!

And Stephanie and David, who you callin conservative? Minnesota was the only state in the union to vote for Walter Mondale against Ronald Reagan in 1984 (course, Mondale is from Minnesota). Actually, though, Minnesota has voted for Democrats in every presidential election. So has Illinois, I believe (well, I guess not in 1984). Politically, at least, not all of the Midwest is conservative.

Socially, it may be a different story ...

Hi latjoreme! Yes, Minnesota is great. I think I told you this already, but I once went camping for two weeks up in the Boundary waters.... way up north, at the very top of Minnesota. That was a long time ago, but I sure do remember it! Yes, I think Minnesota is pretty liberal compared to other midwestern states..... like Indiana.
Thanks for responding! :)

David,

I'm from Tennessee and work in Huntsville, AL now.  Lisa (BB Stacker) & I are R/L friends - we bonded over beers and trivia a few years ago (3?).  (She said it was OK to tell people that.)  The home of my heart, however, is Boston, MA where I lived for 8 years.  When circumstances permit, I'll be moving on -- I just feel too out-of-step with most of the people around me.  It can be tiresome and lonely.

You should go check out our frappr map and add yourself, if you haven't already done so:

www.frappr.com/bettermost

Lynne

Hi Lynne! Yes, I love Boston too. It's a great city. By the way, thanks for telling me about frappr. I went over there and signed up for it! I will have to go back and check it out a little more. :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »
I chose "Northeast/ East" in the US.  Western Pennsylvania is a tough call...  I think Pennsylvania is generally considered "eastern" but out here, we're very, very close to the Midwestern transition zone.  I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts for large chunks of my life so, I very much identify with the Northeast. But,  I was born in the Chicago area and lived there until I was 14...  so Midwestern is also pretty appropriate for me.

cheers!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2006, 09:27:09 pm »
I still consider myself a Northerner even after more than 18 years in Washington, D.C. -- which is DEFINITELY the South to me!  So... it's a mere five weeks until the moving van arrives and takes me home to Buffalo, NY (yes really and I do LOVE snow, so no jokes please   :) ).  So I'd better stop postin' & get to packin' (which I have been saying for weeks!).  Since I will be moving into my dad's old farmhouse, maybe I will refer to Buffalo as Lightnin' Flat (*great, his obsession grows worse...*).  Gotta whip that old ranch into shape.

Great idea for a poll.
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

moremojo

'Cowpuncher'='cowboy'
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »

I have to ask though.... what is a cowpuncher?  ???
'Cowpuncher' is a variant of 'cowboy', but is somewhat more rarely invoked when describing those men. I was surprised to see my ancestor described as such when I saw, for the first time in my life, a portrait of him at the San Antonio home of a great-uncle of mine, who I, my dad, and my sister visited this past June 8th. My great-uncle showed us a curious, faded photograph of our ancestor, shown astride a horse next to the grave of a friend of his. A caption at the bottom of the image read: "J.W. Gardner, cowpuncher".

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:08:43 pm by moremojo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006, 10:38:08 pm »
I still consider myself a Northerner even after more than 18 years in Washington, D.C. -- which is DEFINITELY the South to me!  So... it's a mere five weeks until the moving van arrives and takes me home to Buffalo, NY (yes really and I do LOVE snow, so no jokes please   :) ).  So I'd better stop postin' & get to packin' (which I have been saying for weeks!).  Since I will be moving into my dad's old farmhouse, maybe I will refer to Buffalo as Lightnin' Flat (*great, his obsession grows worse...*).  Gotta whip that old ranch into shape.

Great idea for a poll.

Hi Alec! Yes, Washington D.C. is in the  South. Maryland and Virginia are southern states. Washington D.C. gets hot in the summer too! Just like Indiana does... a steambath. You sound happy to be going back to Buffalo, so I am certainly happy for you. Be sure to come back and post here after you get moved... okay? :D

I chose "Northeast/ East" in the US.  Western Pennsylvania is a tough call...  I think Pennsylvania is generally considered "eastern" but out here, we're very, very close to the Midwestern transition zone.  I've lived in Connecticut and Massachusetts for large chunks of my life so, I very much identify with the Northeast. But,  I was born in the Chicago area and lived there until I was 14...  so Midwestern is also pretty appropriate for me.

cheers!

Hi atz (Amanda isn't it?).. Yeah, you are awfully close to Ohio, so you are pretty close indeed to the Midwest. And since you are from Chicago, you sure sound like a Midwesterner to me! But you are also an easterner, just like you said... is there such a thing as a Midwest Easterner? Or an Eastern Midwesterner? Eastern Midwesterner? That is pretty much what you are now, in W. Pa!

This is getting complicated! Thanks for doing the poll! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2006, 10:46:45 pm »
'Cowpuncher' is a variant of 'cowboy', but is somewhat more rarely invoked when describing those men. I was surprised to see my ancestor described as such when I saw, for the first time in my life, a portrait of him at the San Antonio home of a great-uncle of mine, who I, my dad, and my sister visited this past June 8th. My great-uncle showed us a curious, faded photograph of our ancestor, shown astride a horse next to the grave of a friend of his. A caption at the bottom of the image read: "J.W. Gardner, cowpuncher".

Scott M.

Thanks for the info Scott. There is such a thing as "cow tipping" out here in Indiana. I have never seen anyone actually do it, but I always  heard of people going cow tipping on the weekends. Somebody once told me that nobody really cow tips; it is just a joke. Growing up in the city, I never knew anyone who did it. But it certainly isn't a very nice thing to do. :(

Anyhow, when you said a cowpuncher, I sort of pictured some one punching a cow and then tipping it! I knew this couldn't be correct though.  Isn't strange how the mind works? So now I know. It is a cowboy! Ennis and Jack were cowpunchers! :)

gattaca

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2006, 10:49:04 pm »
I found this on Wikipedia - it's hysterical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

Evidence against cow tipping

The concept of cow-tipping requires that the cow be unaware and asleep: not looking at you. Cows have good hearing and are easily awakened. The cow may not think a person is going to tip them over, but may still avoid a stranger nonetheless.
There is no evidence, aside from mostly unreliable eyewitness reports, that any cows have ever been tipped in the purported manner. In addition, there are a number of problems with typical accounts of cow tipping. Unlike horses, cows do not 'lock their legs' when they sleep. Cows lie down while sleeping [1] and most of their sleep is very light and easily disturbed — typical of herd prey animals; they take only short naps at regular intervals throughout a 24 hour period, which means that at any given time, some members of the herd are aware and alert. The vision field of a cow is larger than that of a human, and they have acute senses of hearing and smell. Thus, cows are not easy to sneak up on. If startled, they quickly communicate to the rest of the herd that something is amiss.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2006, 11:03:00 pm »
Gregg... Yes, that is pretty much what somebody told me. As a kid in Indiana, I always heard about it, but never actually saw it. It is a joke I guess. Or one of those urban legends.  I wonder why people always use to say they went cow tipping over the weekend? It makes me wonder what they were REALLY doing?! ;)

Thanks for sharing this with me/us!  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 03:51:21 pm »
Hi Barb! I love South Florida. I lived there for a couple of years. Have you ever heard of Plantation? It is on the west side of Fort Lauderdale. I'm sure you have heard of it. I still miss it sometimes. I may move back someday!

As a matter of fact, I know Plantation very well.  A great aunt and uncle lived there, and I was baptised in their (Plantation United Methodist) church there when I was 14, in 1979.  Spent two months in Miramar (Hollywood) with my grandparents over that summer, and did it towards the end of that stay.  I prefer Broward County to Palm Beach, where I live - much more soul in the former.  Everything here is a little too pretty and overly ornate - I keep expecting it to all fall over like a set backdrop.

Well, if you ever move back, look me up!  I'm sure I'll be here for a long, looooooong time.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Karan13

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Fun loving open minded the future Mrs Depp or Gyll
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 05:41:58 pm »
Hey David !,
                 Great poll , thanx for pm , as you know i am a Brummie Gal ! , translated , i`m from Birmingham , England , the second city , it`s a multi -cultural city that embraces everyone , not as fast moving as London , but due to great development , it finally has it`s place on the map. As you know i don`t mind that Jake fella ,i watched E-online the other day and he was voted 8th in the Sexist movie star poll {i`m afraid he did beat Heath ]. best of all Johnny Depp got no2 and Angelina Jolie bagged no 1 , which i can see she is a complete sex siren.
It`s not the breaths you take , it`s what makes you lose one !

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 05:49:29 pm »
As a matter of fact, I know Plantation very well.  A great aunt and uncle lived there, and I was baptised in their (Plantation United Methodist) church there when I was 14, in 1979.  Spent two months in Miramar (Hollywood) with my grandparents over that summer, and did it towards the end of that stay.  I prefer Broward County to Palm Beach, where I live - much more soul in the former.  Everything here is a little too pretty and overly ornate - I keep expecting it to all fall over like a set backdrop.

Well, if you ever move back, look me up!  I'm sure I'll be here for a long, looooooong time.  :)

Yes, Plantation is a great town... at least it use to be! I do hope to move back someday. I love South Florida, but I particularly love Fort Myers, in Southwest Florida. So who knows? Either place would be perfectly fine with me. I have some good friends in both cities. Thanks for responding!! :)

Hey David !,
                 Great poll , thanx for pm , as you know i am a Brummie Gal ! , translated , i`m from Birmingham , England , the second city , it`s a multi -cultural city that embraces everyone , not as fast moving as London , but due to great development , it finally has it`s place on the map. As you know i don`t mind that Jake fella ,i watched E-online the other day and he was voted 8th in the Sexist movie star poll {i`m afraid he did beat Heath ]. best of all Johnny Depp got no2 and Angelina Jolie bagged no 1 , which i can see she is a complete sex siren.

Hiya Karan! I am so glad to see you are back with us again. I missed you ALOT on IMDb, but I have found things are calmer over here. The people are much nicer and there are no trolls! At least I haven't seen any yet! Thanks for responding Karan, and I really do look forward to reading all you have to say. You have always been so insightful. :)

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:18 pm »
Hi Alec! Yes, Washington D.C. is in the  South. Maryland and Virginia are southern states. Washington D.C. gets hot in the summer too! Just like Indiana does... a steambath. You sound happy to be going back to Buffalo, so I am certainly happy for you. Be sure to come back and post here after you get moved... okay? :D

At the rate I am going, I will be posting instead of packing.  Let's see, which is more interesting, wrestling dusty possessions into boxes and cursing under my breath, or being enlightened by basking in the glow of BetterMost and BBM?  Not a close call!   :)
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 08:43:37 pm »
At the rate I am going, I will be posting instead of packing.  Let's see, which is more interesting, wrestling dusty possessions into boxes and cursing under my breath, or being enlightened by basking in the glow of BetterMost and BBM?  Not a close call!   :)

Alec, I know what you mean. I hate packing and moving. But it sure is nice to get to the new place and enjoy it after all the hard work is done.

I wish you luck! :)

vkm91941

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2006, 11:29:50 pm »
As most folks around here know I live in Southern California, San Diego to be exact since 1969.  Prior to that, as a Navy Brat I lived all over..born in Virginia, lived in Maryland, Tenessee, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii.  ALso lived briefly in Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Tokoyo and Okinawa.  Guess you could say I use to get around.  ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 02:20:51 am »
As most folks around here know I live in Southern California, San Diego to be exact since 1969.  Prior to that, as a Navy Brat I lived all over..born in Virginia, lived in Maryland, Tenessee, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Alaska and Hawaii.  ALso lived briefly in Germany, Spain, Hong Kong, Tokoyo and Okinawa.  Guess you could say I use to get around.  ;)

Hi Vicky! Yes, I remember a long time ago you told me you lived in San Diego. But I had NO idea you lived in all those other places. That must have been great! Especially Germany and Spain! You sure did get around! I have travelled a lot, but the only places I have lived is in Indiana (Indianapolis, Evansville, Noblesville and Vincennes) and in Plantation Florida for a couple years.

Thanks for posting this Vicky! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 03:03:07 am »
I was just looking a the poll and so far we have...

Northeast U.S. - 5
Southern U.S. - 2
Midwest U.S. - 7 (can you believe that?)
Western U.S. - 3
Southwest U.S. - 5
Canada - 1 (this was Roland, I think)
Mexico/Central/South America  - 1  (this was Juan)
Great Britain and Ireland - 2 (one of these was from Karan. I wonder who else it was?)
Western Europe - 4

I'm trying to  keep track. I just thought I would post an update in case anyone is interested. :D
David.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 03:36:01 am »
Just FYI
Lynn created a BetterMost Frappr Map. It shows where people are from.  I think there are 60 some people put their location on the map. :)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=885.msg15384#msg15384

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 03:58:09 am »
Just FYI
Lynn created a BetterMost Frappr Map. It shows where people are from.  I think there are 60 some people put their location on the map. :)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=885.msg15384#msg15384

Jenny -

Yes, Lynne told me about that yesterday, I think. I went over to it and signed up, but I haven't really checked it out in depth yet. Thanks for telling me about it. :D

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2006, 01:17:25 pm »
I am from Oakland, Ca.  I live in the Jack London Gateway Area, and have lived here off and on for 43 years.   

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2006, 02:07:11 pm »
The other one from England is meeeeeeeeeeeeee.   :) :)
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2006, 06:14:51 pm »
I am from Oakland, Ca.  I live in the Jack London Gateway Area, and have lived here off and on for 43 years.  

Hi Littlewing! I love Oakland. I have a friend who lives near there, in Palo Alto. I visited him there for two weeks back in 1990. It is a beautiful part of the country. Thanks for taking my poll! I appreciate  it! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2006, 06:16:48 pm »
The other one from England is meeeeeeeeeeeeee.   :) :)

Hi Jane! Thanks for solving that mystery for me. I was wondering who it was! :) Thank you for taking the poll!

Offline David

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2006, 06:23:08 pm »
Bumping because only 35 folks have answered so far.

"Where are ya hiding Brokies?"

D'oh!  There go Jack and Ennis at it again!   

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2006, 11:42:25 pm »
David, I just clicked on the wrong button and it won't let me fix it.  I clicked US Southwest, but meant to click US West - although really I would have clicked US Northwest, if that was a choice.  Seattle.  (But born and raised in NYC.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2006, 01:03:03 am »
David, I just clicked on the wrong button and it won't let me fix it.  I clicked US Southwest, but meant to click US West - although really I would have clicked US Northwest, if that was a choice.  Seattle.  (But born and raised in NYC.)

I'm sorry about that! :(

I went back and edited the poll. But  I don't think it will let me change the poll so people can go back and fix their vote. However, I did add an "Other" catagory.

I wonder if it will let me go back and fix  it for you? I'll go and check real quick. If it lets me, I'll take one away from the Southwest choice, and add one to the West. :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:04:52 am by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2006, 01:07:37 am »
Nope. It won't let me monkey around with the votes. Well, you weren't too far off with your choice. So, it's cool! :)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2006, 09:06:13 pm »
WESTERN EUROPE - born in Belgium. German mother. Italian father..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2006, 02:25:56 pm »
Nope. It won't let me monkey around with the votes. Well, you weren't too far off with your choice. So, it's cool! :)

FYI, I just created a new poll and noticed for the first time that when you do it there's a checkbox that lets you say whether or not to let people change their votes. Unfortunately, the default mode is NO. (I checked yes, because I figured people may change their minds as they read others' answers.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2006, 11:43:22 pm »
FYI, I just created a new poll and noticed for the first time that when you do it there's a checkbox that lets you say whether or not to let people change their votes. Unfortunately, the default mode is NO. (I checked yes, because I figured people may change their minds as they read others' answers.)

Katherine...

I am going to have to find your poll and vote! I love polls!

The default mode is NO? I guess I didn't look close enough when I made this one. Well, the next time I make one, I'll be sure to change it to YES. Thanks for telling me about it! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2006, 11:45:22 pm »
WESTERN EUROPE - born in Belgium. German mother. Italian father..

~ j U d E

Hi Jude! It's great to meet you. Thanks for taking the time to answer this poll! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2006, 11:46:59 pm »
Bumping because only 35 folks have answered so far.

Hey David. Thanks for bumping my thread for me. I appreciate it. :D

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2006, 12:04:14 pm »
Hi Jude! It's great to meet you. Thanks for taking the time to answer this poll! :)
You're welcome.

Sorry about Holland being out of the World Cup! But I like the Portuguese too, so I'm happy. And as long as Germany and Italy are still in...  ;D

~ j U d E

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2006, 11:55:30 pm »
You're welcome.

Sorry about Holland being out of the World Cup! But I like the Portuguese too, so I'm happy. And as long as Germany and Italy are still in...  ;D

~ j U d E

Yeah, I am sorry about it too. :'(

Although I noticed I couldn't keep my eye off all the Portugese guys in that game. Boy they were cute!

I guess I wll cheer for England now. :)

vkm91941

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2006, 03:07:27 am »
Yeah, I am sorry about it too. :'(

Although I noticed I couldn't keep my eye off all the Portugese guys in that game. Boy they were cute!

I guess I wll cheer for England now. :)

Yeah we're all cheering for England at my house now :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:18 am »
I am just wondering who I will cheer for if England doesn't pull through. ???

It is beginning to get down to the nitty gritty.

I hadn't really planned on any of this. I was all set for Holland to win it this time! :'(

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2006, 09:56:15 am »
I am just wondering who I will cheer for if England doesn't pull through. ???
Well, here is Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, Ukraine, Portugal and Brazil!   :laugh:

~ j U d E

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 02:41:59 am »
Well, here is Italy, Germany, France, Argentina, Ukraine, Portugal and Brazil!   :laugh:

~ j U d E

Thanks Jude. Well, if England loses, I guess I will cheer for Germany. I'm still depressed about the Netherlands losing. :'(

mvansand76

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 08:41:57 am »
Amsterdam, the Netherlands here, but you knew that already, didn't you, David?   ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2006, 10:00:48 am »
Where am I from for where do I live? 

Lots of mid-westerners...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2006, 06:46:31 pm »
Amsterdam, the Netherlands here, but you knew that already, didn't you, David?   ;D

Hallo mijn goed vriend en groetjes! Welkom naar Bettermost. Ik ben dol op het hier.

Ja, dat wist ik natuurlijk! :D

You will love it here. The people are really nice and helpful. I am really happy you decided to join Bettermost and I am looking forward to reading your postings!

P.S. I just sent you a personal message. :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:26:51 pm by David925 »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2006, 11:52:18 pm »
Where am I from for where do I live? 

Lots of mid-westerners...

Chris, are you from the midwest too? If so, which state? :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2006, 02:01:37 am »
Chris, are you from the midwest too? If so, which state? :)

Well I'm FROM Texas but I LIVE in Utah... :)

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2006, 02:02:48 am »
Born and raised in Texas.
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2006, 12:16:00 am »
Born and raised in Texas.

Hello and Welcome Midnight24! :)

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2006, 12:17:31 am »
Thanks David!!  :-*

;D

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2006, 12:39:48 am »
I am from Queensland Australia.....

This is my backyard

and the other one is one of my favourites....my son volunteers to help injured and orphaned wildlife.....this was taken when he was bottle feeding an orphaned bay kangaroo.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2006, 12:42:22 am »
That's your backyard? Wow...that looks so nice and open!! We have one of those small closed in backyards where I live!! Your son is so lucky I love animals and it looks great to be able to feed a kangaroo.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2006, 12:51:56 am »
I am from Queensland Australia.....

This is my backyard

and the other one is one of my favourites....my son volunteers to help injured and orphaned wildlife.....this was taken when he was bottle feeding an orphaned bay kangaroo.....

Katie - Welcome to Bettermost! We are glad to have you here!

Those pictures are beautiful! And that picture of the baby kangaroo is so cute! I just love baby animals. And your son sitting in  the picture feeding the baby with a bottle makes it even more sweet and cute! thanks for posting these! :)

Offline Midnight24

• Miss Princess
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2006, 12:53:18 am »
Oh yeah, forgot to add that, too! Welcome to bettermost, Katie!!!!  ;D Lovely pictures you have there.  :laugh:

Offline Katie77

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2006, 01:39:04 am »
Glad you liked my pics......Just so you can see what a bit of love and care can do, here is another one, taken a few months later.....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2006, 01:43:41 am »
Glad you liked my pics......Just so you can see what a bit of love and care can do, here is another one, taken a few months later.....

I loved the pics!

Katie is that the same little baby that was being fed with the bottle by your son?

Awww. I am so glad he is okay now. I love happy endings! :)

Offline Katie77

« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2006, 01:52:49 am »
yes David....thats the same one.....

You cant see it, but in the first pic when Adam was holding the baby, it was only about 14 inches long, and had no hair.....he was found in his mothers pouch, after she had been killed by a car.......at that age they have to be fed four times a day....

Eventually, they get off the bottle, and start eating cereal and grass.....

Adam reared many orphans, as well as looked after other injured wildlife.We have always been a family of animal lovers....

And guess what Adam does now......We own a pet shop and Adam and his brother Paul, run the shop.....what better business could he have got into....

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2006, 02:08:05 am »
Katie -

I am an animal lover too! Thank you for posting these pics for us to look at. And tell Adam thank you for doing what he does for these animals! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2006, 02:57:54 am »
This is just another one of my poll updates!  :)

So far, according to our poll, 51 people have voted. Out of those 51 people...

32 are from the United States.
11 are from Great Britain and Western Europe
4 are from Canada
3 are from Australia, New Zealand and Oceania
1 is from Mexico, Central America and South America

What surprises me is this: Out of all of these votes, 11 are from the Midwest! Wow! I would have NEVER guessed this! :o

Who would have ever suspected there would be such a high percentage of Brokies in the Midwest? Somebody please check my math but isn't this something like 20% of the total number of votes thus far? I guess there is some hope for the Midwest after all! :)

Hopefully this gives us a snapshot of the people here on the forum and where they are from.

Have you voted yet? Please do! We would love to hear about you and where you are from!

Everybody comes from an interesting place and has a story to tell.

Please tell us yours! :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2006, 10:36:30 am »
What surprises me is this: Out of all of these votes, 11 are from the Midwest! Wow! I would have NEVER guessed this! :o

Who would have ever suspected there would be such a high percentage of Brokies in the Midwest? Somebody please check my math but isn't this something like 20% of the total number of votes thus far? I guess there is some hope for the Midwest after all! :)

Wow, as a fellow Midwesterner, that surprises me, too! Thanks for doing this poll, David.

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2006, 03:48:15 pm »
I'm from Spokane, Washington ... which I answered on the poll as being in the "west" ... although us Washington/Idaho/Oregon people refer to our geographic location as the Northwest *lol*
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2006, 04:55:52 pm »
I'm from Spokane, Washington ... which I answered on the poll as being in the "west" ... although us Washington/Idaho/Oregon people refer to our geographic location as the Northwest *lol*

Welcome To  Bettermost!

I "fixed it" for you! :)

The poll now says West/Northwest!

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2006, 06:22:33 pm »
I think Newfoundland is a world of its own, sometimes. Especially with our weird twilight-zony half hour difference from the rest of the world.  ::)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2006, 06:51:55 pm »
I think Newfoundland is a world of its own, sometimes. Especially with our weird twilight-zony half hour difference from the rest of the world.  ::)

I was in Newfoundland once. We had to stop in Gander to refuel on our way back from Spain.

I didn't see much of it though. It was about 1:00 in the morning, in March and very, very cold!

...and most of us only had light jackets to wear.

They didn't use the jetway for some reason, and so they taxied the plane about 200 yards (600 meters?) from the terminal.

It was COLD!! :(

We deplaned, stood in the airport for about 90 minutes and then continued on to Indianapolis.

I wish we could have seen more. I have always heard Newfoundland is a beautiful place. :)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2006, 07:52:30 pm »
200 yards = roughly 198 meters you were thinking feet (600 feet = roughly 198 meters)

You'd be surprized how many young Canadians don't know this! (there's only about 3 inches difference between a meter and a yard - the meter being longer)

And I thought somebody wanted to know  :-\
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2006, 07:57:04 pm »
200 yards = roughly 198 meters you were thinking feet (600 feet = roughly 198 meters)

You'd be surprized how many young Canadians don't know this! (there's only about 3 inches difference between a meter and a yard - the meter being longer)

And I thought somebody wanted to know  :-\

I was thinking Feet wasn't I?

Darn it! I'm glad you caught that Roland!

Remember, I'm just a little country kid down here in Indiana! :)

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2006, 02:59:12 pm »
 :) Thanks for the fix!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2006, 07:16:35 pm »
:) Thanks for the fix!

You're very welcome Amber!  :D

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2006, 01:26:18 pm »
Born, raised, lived, loved, worked, and retired in Louisiana!  And I'll probably die here....

I am a very old Pentecost fruit living near De Ridder, Louisiana.  Oooooh!  I'm gonna get ex-communicated for sure, now!

Offline JT

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2006, 02:51:18 pm »
I'm from the Southwest.  Las Vegas to be exact.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2006, 03:28:43 pm »
I'm from the Southwest.  Las Vegas to be exact.

Good ol' Lost Wages. I haven't been there in years.

Welcome To Bettermost JT.   :)

Offline JT

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2006, 11:56:47 pm »
Thanks David!  I love it here in Bettermost!  It's good to hear "Las Veges" mentioned in the movie eventhough it was mentioned by a not very likable character and not a good impression of this city.  But still, it was in the movie.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2006, 11:29:14 am »
I just took the poll. Yes I'm from the midwest out here on the prairie. Well it was the prairie, of course it's all built up now. I was born in Minneapolis Minnesota; I have always lived here. A friend and I were talking about if you are a straight female looking for a straight male in Minnesota you might as well look for a __ in a __ ! (I can't think of an analogy right now. Or is it a metaphor??). Besides having a higher population of women, Minnesota has a high percentage of gay men.

I'm just starting to read & post here on Bettermost - another IMDb refugee. I want to post some photos of my yard and cats (I have 3) later on. I loved the photos of the baby roo! Thanks for that. When I was a kid I wanted to be the person in the zoo who took care of the baby animals. So I grew up to be an administrative assistant. huh?? And a frustrated artist (don't spend enough time painting). Iffin ya'll will excuse me, I gotta to do the mornin chores now. 'bye
  :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2006, 03:08:46 pm »
I just took the poll. Yes I'm from the midwest out here on the prairie. Well it was the prairie, of course it's all built up now. I was born in Minneapolis Minnesota; I have always lived here. A friend and I were talking about if you are a straight female looking for a straight male in Minnesota you might as well look for a __ in a __ ! (I can't think of an analogy right now. Or is it a metaphor??). Besides having a higher population of women, Minnesota has a high percentage of gay men.

I'm just starting to read & post here on Bettermost - another IMDb refugee. I want to post some photos of my yard and cats (I have 3) later on. I loved the photos of the baby roo! Thanks for that. When I was a kid I wanted to be the person in the zoo who took care of the baby animals. So I grew up to be an administrative assistant. huh?? And a frustrated artist (don't spend enough time painting). Iffin ya'll will excuse me, I gotta to do the mornin chores now. 'bye
  :-\

Your post was wonderful, but one part of it really caught my eye....

Minnesota? Prairie?

I have to ask this....

Do you live anywhere near Walnut Grove? Or Sleepy Eye? Or Mankato?

Your post reminded me of the show "Little House on the Prairie".

I love Minnesota! I have been there several times and it is an awesome state!   :D

Please be sure to post some pictures of your yard and your animals!   :D  We would love to see them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 03:10:26 pm by David925 »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2006, 09:07:35 pm »
I live in the CITY of Minneapolis. I haven't been to Sleepy Eye, but I once got drunk at the Stoned Toad in Mankato. I drove through Walnut Grove. Never a fan of Little House on the Prairie (book or tv show) but a friend who grew up on a farm near Walnut Grove liked the books. Here's my little "house on the prairie." (Actually it's on a city lot near Minnehaha Creek and Highway 35W)

One of my kitties - looking out and looking up.

And last but NOT least, here's a photo of my boyfriend  ;) ......he smiles a lot

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2006, 03:37:07 am »
How cute!  :)

Thanks for posting the pictures of your house, your cute cats and your cute...... ;)..boyfriend!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2006, 03:41:05 am »
Oh! I just noticed something!

Minnehaha Creek? I have been to Minnehaha Falls before!

I remember the story too (I think).

Didn't Minnehaha jump over the falls with her lover? She was a young indian maiden. I visited Minnehaha Falls when i was about 10 years old (I am 43 now) and perhaps my memory fails me, but I think i remember hearing this story when we were there. Anyway, Minnehaha Falls was beautiful! I DO remember that!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2006, 09:34:10 am »

Nice humpy-butt kitty, Leslie!

Here's another picture of Henry, plus a picture of my house in Baltimore, bathed in last winter's snow.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2006, 10:42:54 pm »
Coffeecat -

If you hadn't told us, I would have guessed the picture of the house was taken in Minnesota! That is a lot of snow for Maryland. But if I remember correctly, they had a pretty rough winter last year.

Even here in central Indiana, we normally don't see that much snow.... Thank God. :D

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2006, 12:30:13 am »
David -- it must be confusing to have coffeecat and henrypie posting their houses and cats!  I'm henrypie, aka Sarah, and we got one good dump o' snow last winter.  It vanished in a couple of days.

On with the kitties!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2006, 12:32:54 am »
David -- it must be confusing to have coffeecat and henrypie posting their houses and cats!  I'm henrypie, aka Sarah, and we got one good dump o' snow last winter.  It vanished in a couple of days.

On with the kitties!

I wonder how I managed to get so confused like that.

I couldn't figure out why she would have a house in Minnesota and Maryland.

Oh well... thanks for straightening me out!   :D

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2006, 09:44:19 am »
I'll take a cup of coffeecat but I couldn't eat no henrypie just now.

;D

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2006, 10:13:09 am »
I wonder what the poll results tell us?  That there are more mid-western Brokies, or Brokies from the mid-west are more inclined to answer polls about their location?

;)
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

mvansand76

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2006, 11:18:30 am »
How cute!  :)

Thanks for posting the pictures of your house, your cute cats and your cute...... ;)..boyfriend!

That's hilarious David... ;D

God, he's cute...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2007, 02:00:43 am »
<David coughing>

Whew! This is an old dusty thread!

bump!  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2007, 07:36:29 am »
<David coughing>

Whew! This is an old dusty thread!

bump!  :D

:laugh:

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2007, 09:46:37 pm »

What's so funny Melissa?

Grab that broom over there and help me clean this place up.  :P   ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2007, 12:09:25 pm »
What's so funny Melissa?

Grab that broom over there and help me clean this place up.  :P   ;)

Hey do you remember me telling you about that EXTREME (and by that I mean EXTREME) dust and mite allergy I have?!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2007, 01:19:27 pm »
I just voted - never would have guessed that the Midwest US would have the highest percentage.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2007, 01:21:44 pm »
That surprised me too!! Maybe it partially explains why so many people are gathering in Bay City, Michigan!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:56 pm »
I just voted - never would have guessed that the Midwest US would have the highest percentage.

I live in the Midwest Marge, and I was very surprised too.  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2007, 12:06:24 am »
I was born and raised on the shores of Narrabeen Lake, which is a picturesque seaside suburb of Sydney, in Australia. That's the Pacific Ocean you can see to the right (scroll over), in this picture:

Narrabeen is an approximately 40 minute drive along the coast, north of Sydney, Australia's biggest city.

I now live closer to the city centre, within the gay ghetto with all its cafes, clubs and shopping, and close to Little Italy. Sydney Harbour is only a short walk away, at the end of my street.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2007, 08:54:37 am »
I was born and raised on the shores of Narrabeen Lake, which is a picturesque seaside suburb of Sydney, in Australia. That's the Pacific Ocean you can see to the right (scroll over), in this picture:

Narrabeen is an approximately 40 minute drive along the coast, north of Sydney, Australia's biggest city.

I now live closer to the city centre, within the gay ghetto with all its cafes, clubs and shopping, and close to Little Italy. Sydney Harbour is only a short walk away, at the end of my street.

Oh My God Kerry, what a beautiful place to grow up, you're so lucky....

I had to do with the not so terribly exciting cheese town Alkmaar in North-Holland... :(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20:58 am »

Oh My God Kerry, what a beautiful place to grow up, you're so lucky....

I had to do with the not so terribly exciting cheese town Alkmaar in North-Holland... :(

Narrabeen is a very pretty place, Melissa, and Sydney is a beautiful city. But so too is Alkmaar, from what I can see of the pics your posted. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Like something out of a fairy tale! And Alkmaar has something very precious that Sydney is sadly lacking - a long history.  Sydney's only been in existence for just over 200 years. Bet Alkmaar's been there for longer than that!  :D

You might be interested to know, Melissa, that a lot of Dutch people live in and around the Narrabeen area. I went to school with some Dutch boys who lived near me by name of Van Laar, Van Royen, Tryness and Vermin. Their families had lived in the Dutch East Indies and came to live in Australia, when that country gained its independence.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:26 am »
I'm in Sunny Southern California, folks.
I'm the only Brokie I know out here. Everyone else is in the closet!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

mvansand76

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2007, 10:01:04 am »
Narrabeen is a very pretty place, Melissa, and Sydney is a beautiful city. But so too is Alkmaar, from what I can see of the pics your posted. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Like something out of a fairy tale! And Alkmaar has something very precious that Sydney is sadly lacking - a long history.  Sydney's only been in existence for just over 200 years. Bet Alkmaar's been there for longer than that!  :D

You might be interested to know, Melissa, that a lot of Dutch people live in and around the Narrabeen area. I went to school with some Dutch boys who lived near me by name of Van Laar, Van Royen, Tryness and Vermin. Their families had lived in the Dutch East Indies and came to live in Australia, when that country gained its independence.

Yeah, there is a long history between Holland and Australia!

I read this on Wikipedia:

The first undisputed recorded European sighting of the Australian mainland was made by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, who sighted the coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606. During the 17th century, the Dutch charted the whole of the western and northern coastlines of what they called New Holland, but made no attempt at settlement. In 1770, James Cook sailed along and mapped the east coast of Australia, which he named New South Wales and claimed for Britain. The expedition's discoveries provided impetus for the establishment of a penal colony there.

and:

The Dutch adjectival form Australische was used by Dutch officials in Batavia to refer to the newly discovered land to the south in 1638.

Yes, Alkmaar has been around longer, Alkmaar is 755 years old.... But although we have the sea and the beautiful dune landscape nearby we have nothing near the natural beauty that Australia has!  :)

moremojo

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »
I'm in Sunny Southern California, folks.
I'm the only Brokie I know out here. Everyone else is in the closet!
Mark ('jpwagoneer1964') calls San Diego home.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2007, 08:07:23 pm »
The first undisputed recorded European sighting of the Australian mainland was made by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, who sighted the coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606. During the 17th century, the Dutch charted the whole of the western and northern coastlines of what they called New Holland, but made no attempt at settlement. In 1770, James Cook sailed along and mapped the east coast of Australia, which he named New South Wales and claimed for Britain. The expedition's discoveries provided impetus for the establishment of a penal colony there.

Yep, that's very true, Melissa. On some old maps the name for Australia is recorded as "New Holland"!  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2007, 08:47:46 pm »
Australia and Holland are both very beautiful countries. I have never been to Australia, but I have been to the Netherlands and I can personally vouch for all the tremendous beauty in that country.

But I have seen enough pictures to also know Australia is ALSO a very beautiful country.

Kerry and Melissa, both of you are so lucky!  :D

This is what I get to look at once I leave Indianapolis....

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Ya'll are lucky!!!!  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2007, 09:41:56 pm »
This is what I get to look at once I leave Indianapolis....

David, your photos of Indiana remind me of a song we were taught at school:

"Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
And the deer
And the antelop play.
Where never is heard
A disparaging word
And the sky is all cloudless
All day.
Home, home on the range, etc."

:D  Am I close? It's been a long time since I sang it!  ;)  :D

Your photos remind me of the scenery that I've seen in so many Western movies, such as "Dances with Wolves"   (not the pic of the highway though!)  ;) :D

I think you live in a very beautiful part of America, David.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »
David, your photos of Indiana remind me of a song we were taught at school:

"Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
And the deer
And the antelop play.
Where never is heard
A disparaging word
And the sky is all cloudless
All day.
Home, home on the range, etc."

:D  Am I close? It's been a long time since I sang it!  ;)  :D

Your photos remind me of the scenery that I've seen in so many Western movies, such as "Dances with Wolves"   (not the pic of the highway though!)  ;) :D

I think you live in a very beautiful part of America, David.  :D

<David happily wihistles "Home on the Range">

I guess it really is true then, isn't it Kerry? Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Because I think it looks awful!   :laugh:  :laugh:

But I must admit, I posted the most terrible pictures of Indiana I could find. Most of it isn't THAT bad. It's still pretty bad though, any way you slice or dice it.
  :P

Some people like the flatness here. We do have some wonderful underground caverns and caves around here. And just a few miles south of me it begins to get hilly and little towns are built in between all the hills (what Hoosiers call "Hollers".)

I don't know Kerry. I'm ready to get out of Indiana. I'll trade with ya!  ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2007, 11:12:13 pm »
I don't know Kerry. I'm ready to get out of Indiana. I'll trade with ya!   ;)

:laugh: You make me laugh, David. The only travellin' I've ever done is around a coffee cup, looking for the handle (or something like that).  ::)

I'd have to get over my morbid fear of flying, before considering a move to Indiana!   ;)  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2007, 11:19:09 pm »
:laugh: You make me laugh, David. The only travellin' I've ever done is around a coffee cup, looking for the handle (or something like that).  ::)

I'd have to get over my morbid fear of flying, before considering a move to Indiana!   ;)  :)

Umm. Yeah. It'd help. ;)

Because it sure would take a long time to swim here!  :laugh:

My Mom and Dad took a cruise back from New Zealand (They flew there first <wink to Kerry>) and it took them THREE MONTHS to get back to the US. Now, they DID stop at some islands along the way, but still, that is an AWFULLY long time to be on a boat! You better think about flying Kerry! You're a looooooooooooooong way from Indiana, buddy!  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:14 pm »
You better think about flying Kerry! You're a looooooooooooooong way from Indiana, buddy!  :D

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to stay in touch with all my overseas chums via BetterMost. There ain't no way you'll ever get me inside one of those long, metal flying thingies in the sky! Noooooo waaaaaaay!   :o    :P    :(    ;)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2007, 12:11:29 am »
Hmm, I guess I'll just have to stay in touch with all my overseas chums via BetterMost. There ain't no way you'll ever get me inside one of those long, metal flying thingies in the sky! Noooooo waaaaaaay!   :o    :P    :(    ;)

I just thought about that trip I told you about. I think they were only on the boat for two months. The entire trip was three months. They spent one month in New Zealand.

But still, TWO months on a boat is a long time. They did stop off at a lot of islands,  so without all those stops it would have been less than two months. I remember they were VERY glad to get off the boat once they reached LA.  :laugh:

Dad said he was the most scared at night on the boat. He would look out at the dark ocean, and they would be the only ones out there. He said it was very spooky. They were on a large ship, but the ocean was a whole lot bigger!

I'd rather fly than take a boat. But I've heard the flights from here to Australia are very long; something like 20 hours. Some ungodly amount of time. How will we ever meet each other, Kerry? You live too far away!  >:(

:D  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2007, 12:52:06 am »
I'd rather fly than take a boat. But I've heard the flights from here to Australia are very long; something like 20 hours. Some ungodly amount of time. How will we ever meet each other, Kerry? You live too far away!  >:(
 :D  :D

In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:13 am »
In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D

You're right Kerry! In many ways we have already met!!

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2007, 06:30:31 am »
In many ways, David, I feel like I've already met you. Certainly, I count you among my friends. I have "met" so many lovely people here at BetterMost and we share the most wonderful thing in common - our love of Jack & Ennis.   :D

You're right Kerry! In many ways we have already met!!

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*

You GUYS! You are making me cry at work!!!!   :'(  .....  :)

So have you never been outside of Australia, Kerry? Have you ever thought of doing one of those afraid of flying courses?

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2007, 10:44:15 am »
So have you never been outside of Australia, Kerry? Have you ever thought of doing one of those afraid of flying courses?

I'm too afraid to do an afraid of flying course, Melissa!   ::)   ;)   :)

Seriously, I did some flying as a child and when I was younger. I find that the older I get, however, the worse this silly flying phobia becomes. Fortunately, I'm a real home-body, who loves being at home, and is not fond of travel. So it's not as though I feel I'm missing out on anything. I never did have the travel bug!  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

moremojo

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2007, 03:33:02 pm »
Seriously, I did some flying as a child and when I was younger. I find that the older I get, however, the worse this silly flying phobia becomes. Fortunately, I'm a real home-body, who loves being at home, and is not fond of travel. So it's not as though I feel I'm missing out on anything. I never did have the travel bug!  8)
I can relate to so much of what you're describing, Kerry. I too have noticed that my phobias become more pronounced with age--for example, despite my fears, I made the drive to San Francisco from my home in 1990, yet felt so overwhelmed just last month with the prospect of forging ahead to Colorado that I felt the need to turn back.

I too don't feel a great impulse to travel. Paradoxically, I'm very interested in geography, history, and other cultures, but usually feel I get most of what I need to know in these areas from reading. I guess you could call me an armchair traveller.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:04:10 pm by moremojo »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2007, 03:38:27 pm »
You GUYS! You are making me cry at work!!!!    :'(  .....  :)

Oh no!! I sure didn't want you to cry at work Melissa! I don't want you to cry at all!

Het spijt me.  :(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2007, 12:40:18 am »
I can relate to so much of what you're describing, Kerry. I too have noticed that my phobias become more pronounced with age--for example, despite my fears, I made the drive to San Francisco from Austin in 1990, yet felt so overwhelmed just last month with the prospect of forging ahead to Colorado that I felt the need to turn back.

I too don't feel a great impulse to travel. Paradoxically, I'm very interested in geography, history, and other cultures, but usually feel I get most of what I need to know in these areas from reading. I guess you could call me an armchair traveller.

I too am a great one for reading, Scott. And I have a rampant imagination. Nothing I like more than burying myself in a good novel. In the past, I have found that when I went out of my way to travel somewhere, to visit some place I'd read about in a book maybe, I was always disappointed with the reality of what I found. What was in my imagination was always more vivid and fulfilling that reality for me.  Guess I'm just a fantasist at heart!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:52 am »
I'm from Christchurch, New Zealand, but originally from Calgary, Canada.  It sure is a long flight from Chch to Calgary (about 26 hours depending on the length of the layovers), but I'd rather fly than cruise (oh the seasickness...).