Author Topic: Where is everybody from?  (Read 46745 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Where is everybody from?
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:56 pm »
I just voted - never would have guessed that the Midwest US would have the highest percentage.

I live in the Midwest Marge, and I was very surprised too.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2007, 12:06:24 am »
I was born and raised on the shores of Narrabeen Lake, which is a picturesque seaside suburb of Sydney, in Australia. That's the Pacific Ocean you can see to the right (scroll over), in this picture:

Narrabeen is an approximately 40 minute drive along the coast, north of Sydney, Australia's biggest city.

I now live closer to the city centre, within the gay ghetto with all its cafes, clubs and shopping, and close to Little Italy. Sydney Harbour is only a short walk away, at the end of my street.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2007, 08:54:37 am »
I was born and raised on the shores of Narrabeen Lake, which is a picturesque seaside suburb of Sydney, in Australia. That's the Pacific Ocean you can see to the right (scroll over), in this picture:

Narrabeen is an approximately 40 minute drive along the coast, north of Sydney, Australia's biggest city.

I now live closer to the city centre, within the gay ghetto with all its cafes, clubs and shopping, and close to Little Italy. Sydney Harbour is only a short walk away, at the end of my street.

Oh My God Kerry, what a beautiful place to grow up, you're so lucky....

I had to do with the not so terribly exciting cheese town Alkmaar in North-Holland... :(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20:58 am »

Oh My God Kerry, what a beautiful place to grow up, you're so lucky....

I had to do with the not so terribly exciting cheese town Alkmaar in North-Holland... :(

Narrabeen is a very pretty place, Melissa, and Sydney is a beautiful city. But so too is Alkmaar, from what I can see of the pics your posted. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Like something out of a fairy tale! And Alkmaar has something very precious that Sydney is sadly lacking - a long history.  Sydney's only been in existence for just over 200 years. Bet Alkmaar's been there for longer than that!  :D

You might be interested to know, Melissa, that a lot of Dutch people live in and around the Narrabeen area. I went to school with some Dutch boys who lived near me by name of Van Laar, Van Royen, Tryness and Vermin. Their families had lived in the Dutch East Indies and came to live in Australia, when that country gained its independence.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2007, 09:28:26 am »
I'm in Sunny Southern California, folks.
I'm the only Brokie I know out here. Everyone else is in the closet!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

mvansand76

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2007, 10:01:04 am »
Narrabeen is a very pretty place, Melissa, and Sydney is a beautiful city. But so too is Alkmaar, from what I can see of the pics your posted. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Like something out of a fairy tale! And Alkmaar has something very precious that Sydney is sadly lacking - a long history.  Sydney's only been in existence for just over 200 years. Bet Alkmaar's been there for longer than that!  :D

You might be interested to know, Melissa, that a lot of Dutch people live in and around the Narrabeen area. I went to school with some Dutch boys who lived near me by name of Van Laar, Van Royen, Tryness and Vermin. Their families had lived in the Dutch East Indies and came to live in Australia, when that country gained its independence.

Yeah, there is a long history between Holland and Australia!

I read this on Wikipedia:

The first undisputed recorded European sighting of the Australian mainland was made by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, who sighted the coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606. During the 17th century, the Dutch charted the whole of the western and northern coastlines of what they called New Holland, but made no attempt at settlement. In 1770, James Cook sailed along and mapped the east coast of Australia, which he named New South Wales and claimed for Britain. The expedition's discoveries provided impetus for the establishment of a penal colony there.

and:

The Dutch adjectival form Australische was used by Dutch officials in Batavia to refer to the newly discovered land to the south in 1638.

Yes, Alkmaar has been around longer, Alkmaar is 755 years old.... But although we have the sea and the beautiful dune landscape nearby we have nothing near the natural beauty that Australia has!  :)

moremojo

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2007, 03:16:06 pm »
I'm in Sunny Southern California, folks.
I'm the only Brokie I know out here. Everyone else is in the closet!
Mark ('jpwagoneer1964') calls San Diego home.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2007, 08:07:23 pm »
The first undisputed recorded European sighting of the Australian mainland was made by the Dutch navigator Willem Janszoon, who sighted the coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606. During the 17th century, the Dutch charted the whole of the western and northern coastlines of what they called New Holland, but made no attempt at settlement. In 1770, James Cook sailed along and mapped the east coast of Australia, which he named New South Wales and claimed for Britain. The expedition's discoveries provided impetus for the establishment of a penal colony there.

Yep, that's very true, Melissa. On some old maps the name for Australia is recorded as "New Holland"!  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2007, 08:47:46 pm »
Australia and Holland are both very beautiful countries. I have never been to Australia, but I have been to the Netherlands and I can personally vouch for all the tremendous beauty in that country.

But I have seen enough pictures to also know Australia is ALSO a very beautiful country.

Kerry and Melissa, both of you are so lucky!  :D

This is what I get to look at once I leave Indianapolis....

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Ya'll are lucky!!!!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2007, 09:41:56 pm »
This is what I get to look at once I leave Indianapolis....

David, your photos of Indiana remind me of a song we were taught at school:

"Oh, give me a home
Where the buffalo roam
And the deer
And the antelop play.
Where never is heard
A disparaging word
And the sky is all cloudless
All day.
Home, home on the range, etc."

:D  Am I close? It's been a long time since I sang it!  ;)  :D

Your photos remind me of the scenery that I've seen in so many Western movies, such as "Dances with Wolves"   (not the pic of the highway though!)  ;) :D

I think you live in a very beautiful part of America, David.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν