Author Topic: I'm Not There (the Dylan movie starring Heath)  (Read 20839 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: I'm Not There (the Dylan movie starring Heath)
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 03:04:57 pm »
Thanks for the article, Clarissa.  I'm going to try to get together with the NY Brokies soon to see "I'm Not There."  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 05:44:41 pm »
I just got back from seeing it and I really enjoyed it!  Heath is great in it, Heathens will not be disappointed. He was very well complemented by Charlotte Gainsbourg.  In fact, I think he should pull a Johnny Depp and move to France and live with her, they were so good together.  It's an odd but strangely uplifting film.  All I can say is, thank god for Todd Haynes!

yb

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2007, 10:01:05 pm »
I haven't the chance to see it yet, but it seems the reviews for this movie are very extreme, either you like it or you hate it.  Good to hear you like Heath's performance, I've read many good reviews about Charlotte Gainsbourg and her chemistry with Heath in it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 10:03:20 am »
Borrowed this from the library. A very ambitious film that achieves at least one of its aims to show the magnitude of Dylan's genius. Yes, it really takes several actors to show the many sides of him; however, I thought Richard Gere was one too many that put the movie into the "jump the shark" territory. The Heath Ledger portrayal seemed to coexist with the Chistian Bale portrayal. Heath's portrayal confused me because he actually looked a lot like Ennis still having the short curly hair and the long sideburns. He had a wife that he didn't seem very close to and two daughters, and they went through a divorce. So, just because of my closeness to BBM, that part didn't work for me so well. The older child part was played by a black young man. Surprisingly, it worked quite well. The movie glossed over Dylan's relationship with Woody Guthrie, which disappointed me. His conversion to born-again Christian was well done by Christian Bale, and his sudden, jarring electrification at the Newport Jazz and Folk Festival was a bit over the top. His time in Europe was effectively played by Cate Blanchett with aplomb. Two other characters in the film were "the world" and "the commentators". There was a hilarious part where some older lady commentators were looking for Dylan and finally spotted him cavorting with four mop-top young men on a hill, dancing, rolling down the hill, etc. The women extracted him from his companions and he went off to do his interview while the four others were chased by a mob of screamining teenaged women. A movie well worth taking in although you might want to have a cup of coffee beforehand so you can follow it all!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:06 am »
One other thing. So much cigarette smoking in this film that I was mentally gagging through most of it. Thank God people are not allowed to smoke in public places anymore! It's a wonder any of our parents made it through life with intact respiratory systems.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 01:34:53 pm »
One other thing. So much cigarette smoking in this film that I was mentally gagging through most of it. Thank God people are not allowed to smoke in public places anymore! It's a wonder any of our parents made it through life with intact respiratory systems.

And yet, asthma was pretty rare back then.  Today it seems every second kid has asthma.  Maybe exposure to second hand smoke provided some sort of immunity?   ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 04:45:59 pm »
I had asthma as a kid, Gil. It can also be caused by dust and pollution, which is more prevalent these days. There's more dust in the atmosphere due to the drying out of large sections of country as urban folks use up all the water. Global warming plays a role too. For instance, a large section of central eastern California, Nevada, and Utah have become desertized. Pollution has grown as we burn more coal and other fossil fuels for energy.

It surprises me, after watching the movie, that Bob Dylan is still alive, and still has some semblance of a voice!!