Author Topic: A special announcement from an old friend  (Read 22916 times)

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
A special announcement from an old friend
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:31:52 am »
Hey everybody.  It's been a long time since I spent some time by the campfire here.  I wanted to let you all in on something.

I live in California with my partner, Nick.  We've been together for two years.  Some of you met him at the first Castro theatre screening early in our relationship.  I'm sure you all know that gay marriage is legal here now (and in Connecticut too.  Woo-hoo!).  That might not be the case for long.  Proposition 8 would take away our rights by writing discrimination into the California constitution.  And thanks to a lot of dishonest campaign ads funded largely by out of state donors, it's pulled ahead in the polls.  If you'd like to contribute to the No on 8 campaign, you may do so here.

http://noonprop8.com/home

Nick and I were planning on getting married when he was finished with his medical imaging program in the Summer of 2010.  However, since there is a chance that we might not be able to do it after Nov. 4th, we're doing it now.  We have an appointment to get our license at 1:30 on Oct. 28th and will most likely have a small(!!!) ceremony later that same day.  It's not the way we planned it but I can't wait.  I wrote to my favorite pastor at Glide church and she said she would be honored to officiate our ceremony.

Back when BBM was in theatres and I was seeing it every 10 days or so, I would often leave with profound thoughts drifting lazily through my head.  One night after a viewing, pondering the message of lost opportunities, I thought to myself, "What would I be doing with my life if I knew I were going to die soon?"  One response was, "If I were going to die soon, I wouldn't be single."
I saw the movie again and again because it inspired me to love.

On May 21st, 2006, within one of my posts in one of the many threads here, I happened to mention, "I am so meeting my future partner this year."  I met Nick 5 days later.  I can't imagine that there exists a better match for me.  What we have is the relationship I've wanted ever since I found out that relationships like this could exist: honest, courageous, completely devoted.  Being with him makes me expand myself as a person.  I am so proud and so blessed.

Much love to my entire bettermost family,
Kirk

P.S.  We probably will have another ceremony when we meant to have it, to which we will be inviting more friends and family than the few we have in mind for this one.  This is really a precautionary ceremony for the legality of it.  Not that that diminishes it in any way, I am really excited at the prospect of calling Nick my husband.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: A special announcement from an old friend
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:43:26 am »
KIRK!!!!

That is AMAZING news! I am soooooo happy for you and Nick! I remember you forst starting out eith him and the future partnet comment....

I wish you all the luck love and happiness in the world for your future together...

I'm so excited! Pleas ekepp the updates - and pics - coming Kirk..

I'm so utterly chuffed for you!!!!!

What a good way to start my morning reading this!!!!

;D

:-* :-* :-* :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
I'm CHUFFED too!

(whatever that means... :laugh: :laugh:)

Congratulations, Kirk and Nick....so happy for you.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:25:36 am »
Congratulations, Kirk, that's wonderful news. I remember when you met Nick and just weeks later moved to LA...and months after that moved back to SF because you knew you needed to be together. I'm so happy for you both.

Hugs,

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:34:12 am »
Wow, I'm so happy for you, Kirk!  It's a shame that you have to rush your plans because of the threat of legalized discrimination.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:24:37 am »
Thank you so much for sharing this, friend Kirk. Your news made my day!! Would love to be at your later celebration, meet Nick, and enjoy some California sunshine!! Until then, please stay in touch and send pics!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:52 am »
What lovely news, Kirk!  All the good things in the world to you and Nick on your upcoming marriage, and here's hoping Proposition 8 is soundly defeated.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:51:52 pm »
Kirk, Bud, it's great to hear from you.  I am one of the lucky ones who got to meet Nick, and I liked him.  I was there the first time he saw BBM.  I asked him why he hadn't seen it yet.  (It had been out since December 2005, and this was, I  think, in June 2006.)  He said it was because he was in school, and working hard, and he had the sense that BBM would really get to him emotionally, and he felt he couldn't risk that while he had to be super-functional for school.  I remember feeling very respectful of his answer.

Happy news, Kirk, my very best to you both.

Clarissa

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 05:33:25 pm »
chuffed = very happy/pleased
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

injest

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:48:38 am »
chuffed = very happy/pleased

;) ;)

I figured it was a good thing!!

so I can say now I am DEFINITELY VERY CHUFFED for ya'll...