Author Topic: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?  (Read 41111 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love?
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2007, 08:55:47 pm »

Well, more than a touch, I guess. Inner torment is pretty much Ennis' middle name!

Yes indeed!

And, I'm in the heartbreak + inner torment camp.

I've never really viewed the dry-heaves scene as being about self-loathing (although, now that this concept has been raised, I certainly can understand why some viewers might come to this interpretation).  Also, by montaging the retching scene with the wedding scene (or at least a sound montage... with the voice of the "happy preacher" coming into the alley scene before we see the wedding) I often wonder if the dry-heaves have something to do with Ennis already regretting and worrying about the impact of a marriage on his life (foreshadowing regret about all that comes to pass during the relationship).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2007, 01:38:36 am »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:51 am »
Thanks Moremojo, thanks ineedcrayons, and thanks atz75!!!

Boy, this subject: At what moment in BBM did you realize that they were falling in love? .... sur can be many possible answers!!! It is interesting! We can now think of the dry-heaves scene... 

too, as very important!! As this is like a mystery too!!

Is the the dry-heaves scene 

also in Annie's book? Or created  only by the script or screen writers, or by the director (Lee)??

Hugs!

P.S. Is this  the dry-heaves scene... depression?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2007, 08:50:36 pm »
narrative from the screen play:

"He stumbles into an alley, drops to his knees. Kneels there, silent, as pain, longing, loneliness, overpower ENNIS -- emotions stronger than he's ever felt for another person consume him : he feels as bad and confused as he ever has in his life."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2007, 06:36:16 pm »
Thanks all!!

Brokeplex since you quote the script about Ennis': ... emotions stronger than he's ever felt for another person consume him : he feels as bad and confused as he ever has in his life."
Brokeplex, in this dry-heaves scene, does the script mention really that Ennis thinks then about Jack? Could it be that he thinks about Alma Sr. instead? But the director (Lee) took liberty of that to make us, the spectator(s) view it as Ennis thinks about Jack?

Plus, what is said in the book? Any mention there at all about dry-heaves?

To some viewers, maybe this scene is when Ennis feels that he realizes his love for Jack?

Hugs!! Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas and Holidays to you all!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2007, 09:54:50 pm »
Let me suggest Artiste that you purchase a copy of the excellent book "Brokeback Mountain - Story to Screenplay" ISBN-13 : 978-0-7432-9416-4

In this book are the original short story, the screen play and some excellent commentary by AP, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana

You can compare for yourself any differences between screen play and short story. I found this book at Barnes and Noble

There is also an interesting book that I purchased on Amazon called "Reading Brokeback Mountain". I highly recommend that one as well.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:36 am »
Let me suggest Artiste that you purchase a copy of the excellent book "Brokeback Mountain - Story to Screenplay" ISBN-13 : 978-0-7432-9416-4

A Brokie friend gave me that book as a gift. Since then, It has never left the drawer of my computer desk, and I refer to it constantly when writing here (just as the New Yorker issue with the original story hasn't left her side for a decade!  :) :-*)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2007, 04:11:59 pm »
You have a copy of the original "New Yorker" article?

Hang on to that, it is worth real money now, aside from the personal value you have in it. .

I just bought an author signed copy of  that article (without the italicized intro) on a collectors web site, I'm still reeling from the prices these dealers charge...........

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2007, 04:47:46 pm »
You have a copy of the original "New Yorker" article?

Hang on to that, it is worth real money now, aside from the personal value you have in it. .

I just bought an author signed copy of  that article (without the italicized intro) on a collectors web site, I'm still reeling from the prices these dealers charge...........
I'll have to get Annie to sign it next time I see her (hopefully 'round the time of the Roundup!) but still it won't be for sale at any price! I'm so glad to see you're still getting use out of that book, Kathryn!! An interesting anecdote: a mutual friend of ours saw my copy at my house, started reading it, and then freaked out because in the early '90s, he used to play pool at the Mint Bar with his buddies!! He would've been in his early 20s at that time...

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2007, 07:54:56 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Are those my Christmas presents you will be giving me, eh buddy?? Would love those books!

Say, in which New Yorker was it in? One or more? Are those now in demand too and much more $??

In another thread somehow, I felt that both Ennis and Jack felt numb after Aguiire told them to come down which ended their jobs much earlier. Then and there, we, as spectators do feel that they are in love... since Jack goes to rope Ennis who is afar in being pensive!

Then, maybe I felt for the first time that Ennis was in love with Jack, and vice versa?

Hugs!!

Did they need to be convinced each to believe in the future??
Merry, Merry, Merry Christmas and Gay Holidays to all and lost of hugs too!!