Author Topic: Read these! From TOB  (Read 5652 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Read these! From TOB
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:41:02 pm »
Damn.  That first one alone damn near killed me.  I had noticed the walking in perfect unison.  But I had not noticed the perfectly plump, unused pillow on the left side of Ennis' bed in the trailer.

:'(   :'(   :'(
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 02:47:45 pm »
And I think I'm in love with ddmaul.  He is making me laugh out loud, literally, with every one of his posts.  I particularly enjoyed this one:  "Gay isn't what you do, it's who you are. Ennis was gay. Deal with it."

Dumbass mules.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 02:51:51 pm »
Ooh - nice response there in that second one, Eric.  I remember that "Roseanne," too.

(And yes, I'm shamelessly trying to up my post number so I can be a member of the elite 1000+ club.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 02:56:37 pm »
No problem, Barb -- you can make that by 5 p.m., easy. Go for it! The weather's great up here.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:08:55 pm »
No problem, Barb -- you can make that by 5 p.m., easy. Go for it! The weather's great up here.

;D

I love BannerHill.  I'm still laughing at "Maybe Ennis is Jacksexual."

People kill me who unequivocally decide that Jack is gay, but Ennis is not.  Sheee-it.  If anything, Jack is the more bi-sexual of the two - he does say that "it" is "normal and all" with Lureen, after all.  ;)

And ddmaul really did say it the best I've heard it - "being gay (or straight or bi- or asexual) is not what you do, it's who you are."  Good grief, some people.

It's so lovely to read even now about first-time viewers' reactions.  And it helps me to feel not nearly so freakish about my weekly (and sometimes bi-weekly) viewings when others talk about daily (and sometimes bi-daily) ones.

Thanks so much for drawing our attention to these, Eric.  I'd long since stopped going over there to see what's new - once burned, and all that.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:18:40 pm »
Besides, I don't know why anyone who loves the movie would want to think that Ennis is straight. I find that reading much less romantic.

I can't put my finger on all the reasons, but I think one is that, in that case, Ennis would struggle with far less inner conflict and turmoil. What makes the movie most powerful for me is that struggle, the idea that his love for Jack is so great it makes him face the part of himself that he tried to deny and repress for 19 years (or 39, depending on how you look at it).

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 03:32:13 pm »
Besides, I don't know why anyone who loves the movie would want to think that Ennis is straight. I find that reading much less romantic.

I can't put my finger on all the reasons, but I think one is that, in that case, Ennis would struggle with far less inner conflict and turmoil. What makes the movie most powerful for me is that struggle, the idea that his love for Jack is so great it makes him face the part of himself that he tried to deny and repress for 19 years (or 39, depending on how you look at it).

Exactly.  Not to mention that his readily apparent self-loathing doesn't make nearly as much sense (or any, really) when you paint him as a homophobic *straight* guy.
No more beans!

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 03:57:18 pm »
;D

I love BannerHill.  I'm still laughing at "Maybe Ennis is Jacksexual."

Me too! I miss him.

If anything, Jack is the more bi-sexual of the two - he does say that "it" is "normal and all" with Lureen, after all.  ;)
good point--and you didn't have to say much to get it across!

Thanks so much for drawing our attention to these, Eric.  I'd long since stopped going over there to see what's new - once burned, and all that.

Nice one, Barb. I haven't been there in a while either, but these posts are making me thirsty for more a that kind a talk again! ('These pretzels...are making me THIRSTY!' Anyone? Anyone?)

*sigh*
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 04:36:14 pm »
Exactly.  Not to mention that his readily apparent self-loathing doesn't make nearly as much sense (or any, really) when you paint him as a homophobic *straight* guy.

Right! And the whole Earl thing loses a lot of its oomph, too. Instead of Ennis growing up with this hideous threat hanging over his head, it's more like, "Hmmm ...  better not. I remember my Dad saying that's a bad idea."

PS Oh, and I forgot to mention this before, Barb, but I kind of suspect that Jack and Lureen aren't QUITE normal and all.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:55:15 pm »
Oh, and I forgot to mention this before, Barb, but I kind of suspect that Jack and Lureen aren't QUITE normal and all.

I kind of suspect the same thing, secretly.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 05:11:09 pm »
Thanks for those links. :) I never tire of reading about other people's "first time" reactions to BBM - the level of recognition usually is very high, but no two persons use exactly the same words however much they voice uncannily similar sentiments.

And now I'll have to watch out for the unused pillow.  :(

Congratulations on reaching your post count goal, Barb!   :)   ;)

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 06:00:36 pm »
thanx for sharing these, it was good to read newbies' reaction, and remind myself how I dealt with being whacked in the ears by this film. I was inspired to poke around imdb a bit more. I see jomama still at it with his trolling. Poor bastard is just as obsessed as we are, but doesn't have the balls (or ovaries) to admit it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 06:15:51 pm »
I see jomama still at it with his trolling. Poor bastard is just as obsessed as we are, but doesn't have the balls (or ovaries) to admit it.

So true.  And his posts weren't even there when I posted the links here.  Just 'ignore' them.