Author Topic: Chris' Movie Questions: My MYSTIC RIVER Review  (Read 41347 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Mystic River & Traffic
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2006, 04:53:26 pm »
We're gonna do a double feature here...

How was Traffic?  Robbed Ang of his first Oscar only because Steven Soderbergh(sp) had two nominations that year...but anyways...good?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2006, 05:08:38 pm »
I thought Traffic was very good.  My husband didn't like it as much as I did - he thought it lacked... something.  I especially enjoyed Benicio Del Toro's performance as the beleaguered (but good) Mexican cop.

I liked Mystic River but must confess that I think Sean Penn is by far the most overrated actor out there.  I watched it in spite of him because I uber-love Tim Robbins.  I thought he was excellent and deserved his Supporting Actor Oscar (back when those still mattered to me, of course).  Probably needless to say I did not think Sean Penn deserved his - I think it was another one of those "body of work" Oscars like I happen to think Phillip Seymour Hoffman walked off with this past year.

I would recommend both.  Traffic more highly overall.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »
LOL oh sorry, that's a little joke between some friends and I, sometimes I forget people don't know the lingo I make up in my head.... I get embarrassed for other people really easy, and if I see someone doing something silly I usually get embarrassed as if I'm the one doing the silly thing... don't ask why, I have no clue.  So, sometimes when embarrassing things happen in movies I feel that way, then I get to feeling embarrassed for the actors and director.... and the first 20 minutes of that movie are full of embarrassing moments (story wise and filmmaking wise, IMO)... That may not make any sense at all...

I swear, the rest of the movie is gold though, it's one of my favorites, I even enjoy the first 20 minutes or so despite my embarrassment...

Oh okay. Thanks for explaining it to me. I thought maybe you dumped a drink on somebody, or accidently sat down with the wrong group of people when you returned to your seat (both of which I have done before). But I guess those would really be more like first hand embarrassments.   :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

vkm91941

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2006, 10:48:58 am »
Never saw Traffic Chris, but I did see Mystic River when it came out on HBO.  Another dark piece, excellent acting good but disturbing story.  See it

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2006, 11:27:06 am »
I loved both. I agree with Barb about Benicio del Toro in Traffic. He was fantastic. And though I really like Sean Penn, I am beginning to see some truth in the "overrated" argument, too ....

As I sat there waiting for Mystic River to start, I remembered what I'd read about it in reviews and suddenly got actually scared, realizing what I had let myself in for ... the opening is VERY disturbing. But it's a very good movie.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2006, 04:09:52 pm »
Ok thanks again...

Next:  The Gangs of New York...Martin Scorsese....not a real big fan of his...plus he has this strange obesssion with Leo DiCaprio...or vice versa...but anyways....is this a drag like The Aviator was (at least IMO)? 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2006, 04:48:10 pm »
I liked GoNY, too! But then, I like Scorcese, DiCaprio AND The Aviator, so take that into account. But the best part of GoNY is Daniel Day Lewis -- his character is really compelling and scary, even if he does walk around in tall top hats and plaid pants. It's about a fascinating period in New York City history.

You pick interesting movies, Chris.

moremojo

« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2006, 05:18:52 pm »
Ok thanks again...

Next:  The Gangs of New York...Martin Scorsese....not a real big fan of his...plus he has this strange obesssion with Leo DiCaprio...or vice versa...but anyways....is this a drag like The Aviator was (at least IMO)? 
This is an ambitious film, and Scorsese's intelligence is never in question, but I deem this movie to be overall a failure. It has a sprawling feel to it, lacking cohesion and even purpose. It is distinguished by handsome art direction and a cast of actors who give their all but are unable to overcome the flawed material. Still worth checking out for anyone interested in this period of New York's history, or counts themselves a Scorsese fan.

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chris' Movie Questions: Gangs of New York & Secretary
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2006, 05:33:27 pm »
Ok another double feature....

Secretary....doe eyed Maggie Gyllenhaal...James Spader....I believe Maggie got a nomination for this...any good?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2006, 05:34:46 pm »
You pick interesting movies, Chris.

I love movies!  I just don't see half of them...