Our BetterMost Community > The Polling Place

How are you spending the summer solstice?

(1/53) > >>

Front-Ranger:
I'm dreaming about getting off work sometime before midnight so I can go celebrate midsummer night's madness. But how shall I celebrate?? Help me decide!!

serious crayons:
In Sweden, they eat cold boiled crawfish and drink icy vodka. That sounds good to me.

(And I'll be drinking my icy vodka out of a certain little splatterware cup!)

Thanks for the reminder, F-R!

starboardlight:
I think I might get some friends together and hitting the Standard Downtown rooftop bar and enjoy the LA evening sky.

Brown Eyes:
Congrats on making it into the 1000+ post club Lee!
 :D

alec716:
OK, you asked... and for some reason, I feel safe in responding.

I'm reflecting on the fact that it was 5 years ago this morning that a true soulmate of mine finished her 4-year battle with cancer and closed her tortured eyes for the last time as I held her.  Not trying to be melodramatic here, just reporting the facts.  There was not a dull moment in her 37 years.  Mary was one of the world's most passionate, energetic, caring people.  She loved her life, her partner and their son, her friends, the needy children in whose lives she worked tirelessly, her pets, and her rugby games.  Her last words, slurred when she momentarily and partially stirred from her coma, were "Help me live." 

What a gorgeous gift Mary gave me by asking me to walk her last earthbound miles with her ... & darn it all if I didn't get good with the morphine pump in the process!  Standing by her side, I faced the loss I feared every day in between her diagnosis and her death and came out stronger on the other side.  And since she was too g*ddamn special to be buried in the family plot, we made sure that her ashes reached her shaded church yard, crystalline Alaskan waters, and a sunny patch of the Amazon River.  I like to think that the sun hangs in the summer solstice sky just a few moments longer than it used to, since Mary is there to hold it up.

I continue to learn from the lessons of that period of my life.  Mary truly changed my life forever, and I am grateful.  I feel her energy around me all the time.

We rode it, Mary, as long as we could.  I love you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version