Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314790 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:28 am »
So, for some of us, the Solstice will come Tuesday the 20th rather than Wednesday. I'll be in Portland, OR, that day, so I'll be celebrating at 9:24 pm on Tuesday!

The 2017 summer solstice occurs June 21 at 04:24 GMT.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:14 am »
I guess I am having the longest summer solstice here in Anchorage, Alaska. Sunrise was at 4.20am and sunset is at 11.41pm. However it is raining and only 11'C (51'F) at 7.30am so does not feel like summer. I will have longer days later in the week when I go to Denali and Fairbanks.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2017, 11:06:43 am »
I hope it was very memorable, brian! I'm in Portland Oregon and the solstice was noticeably longer up here, too. We had just concluded a talk to the Rock Garden Society and everyone was standing around oohing and ahhing about the plants they had brought for "show and tell". What a great ritual.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:35 am »
I would love to spend it eating cold crawfish and drinking shots of icy vodka, as I've heard they do in Norway on Midsummer Night.

Any Norwegians reading this? Can you confirm?

I heard this when working in New Orleans on a story about how the Chinese were trying to underprice and take over the crawfish market, an important industry in Louisiana, where crawfish are hugely popular. They're usually served hot there, boiled with spices and lemons and the occasional chunk of potato or corn.

But I can see eating them cold, with vodka, being a nice way to spend this long bright evening.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2017, 11:28:40 am »
I just simply stayed at home, and relaxed for the evening.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2019, 08:27:09 pm »
The summer solstice is this coming Friday, June 21. I've heard two reports that the solstice occurs shortly before noon.

Another TV news anchor person remarked that after the summer solstice, the days will slowly begin to grow shorter.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2019, 07:18:37 pm »
I'll be at work, and thinking about the days getting shorter, as we slide down to autumn.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2019, 08:44:20 am »
I'll be at work, and thinking about the days getting shorter, as we slide down to autumn.

I keep hearing on TV news that the solstice is shortly before noon (or something like that), so I'll be at work, too, for the momentous moment. I will be sad to think of the days growing inexorably shorter, and think how fast time seems to be passing. I will, however, remember how much I love fall, and hope I will be able to travel this fall. I will raise a glass of scotch to the occasion. (I do that every Friday night, but never mind!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:53 am »
I'm invited to a post-solstice party Saturday night. But I don't think I'll know anyone there except the hosts, so I'll probably skip it.

I used to love fall but now I don't.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2019, 12:12:19 pm »
I'm invited to a post-solstice party Saturday night. But I don't think I'll know anyone there except the hosts, so I'll probably skip it.

I used to love fall but now I don't.

Good idea for a party, though.