Author Topic: How are you spending the summer solstice?  (Read 314821 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: How are you spending the summer solstice?
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32:32 pm »
Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to rid your clothes of their smoke and mountain sage and sweet salty stink!  :)

I agree. I like a smoky, woodsy smell.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 04:40:02 pm »
The Summer Solstice quickly approacheth!! Surely more than three people will be celebrating!!

The SS weekend began with a bang last nite as Denver Brokies gathered to grill and gab, folllowed by a high definition screening of our favorite film!! My first reaction upon seeing it again after many months was how beautiful Ennis and Jack were (beauty tinged with tragedy is more beautiful still). And then my next thought was, oh, it's going by so fast!! Just like my year of heaven did.

The sound system at my friends' house was so excellent, that I caught all the murmurings in the Dozy Embrace, and there are many! Also, at a couple of times, I got angry with Ennis and starting yelling at him during the movie! Losing my job and realizing how insignificant work is in the grand scheme of things has given me a new perspective on Brokeback Mountain.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 04:28:54 pm »
I actually voted for "watching BBM."  It's been a while for me and the mood is striking me to see it again... especially today for some reason.  But, I'll wait for the weekend.

Well, somehow my determination to watch BBM slipped away by the time the weekend arrived.  I think I still need to wait for a while more before I watch it again.  So, I'm going to watch Tipping the Velvet tonight instead.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 04:55:24 pm »
Sounds good, friend. You should never force yourself to watch it! Hope you enjoy Tipping!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 10:05:37 am »
Today is the 24th of June, the Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. Once upon a time, due to errors in calculation, it was believed that today was the Summer Solstice. The day was celebrated with bonfires to ensure that the sun would return, as from now on, in the Northern Hemisphere, the days inexorably begin to grow shorter, until the Winter Solstice in December, the shortest day of the year. When Christianity gained power, it usurped the ancient pagan celebration of the solstice and substituted the birthday of John the Baptist to make it easier for pagans to accept the new Christian dispensation. Obviously no one knows on what day of the year John the Baptisit was born.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44:46 am »
Thanks for the information, friend! So, first let's have a baptism, and then let's have a bonfire!!

The baptism--

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
Oops, I almost forgot to post the bonfire!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »
Today is the 24th of June, the Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. Once upon a time, due to errors in calculation, it was believed that today was the Summer Solstice. The day was celebrated with bonfires to ensure that the sun would return, as from now on, in the Northern Hemisphere, the days inexorably begin to grow shorter, until the Winter Solstice in December, the shortest day of the year. When Christianity gained power, it usurped the ancient pagan celebration of the solstice and substituted the birthday of John the Baptist to make it easier for pagans to accept the new Christian dispensation. Obviously no one knows on what day of the year John the Baptisit was born.

I IMed with a friend in Quebec this morning. He said St. John the Baptist Day is a legal holiday there -- he's off work and there are concerts in the park.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2009, 11:59:50 am »
Sorry, I was in Chicago at the time of the Solstice.  My friend doesn't celebrate, so I didn't do anything except mentally note the occasion.  I saw an occult shop right down the street from where I was staying with her, but I didn't get a minute to myself to run down to buy incense.  Then after vacation, getting back to a hectic work schedule and finally getting laid off, I haven't had the presence of mind to get my spiritual act together - for which the gods are not happy, I'm sure, but I need to be focused on them and not me, and it's kinda hard right now.  I did watch my holiday movie A Midsummer's Night Dream but have yet to do my regular ritual and here it is July already. :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »
Last year at the Solstice I was visiting the ancient standing stones of Callanish on the Isle of Lewis. It was daylight there until 11 pm at night, and there were about 30 people celebrating, walking and talking among the stones, playing pan pipes, drums, and guitars, and photographing or measuring the stones. This year, I'll probably spend most of my time thinking about last year!