Author Topic: In the closet  (Read 2233 times)

Offline moviegoer

• Don't Say Much
In the closet
« on: June 22, 2006, 10:44:54 pm »
Okay.  I have to stop thinking about this movie.  It's making me think too much...   :)

It struck me as I was writing another topic that Jack's hiding of the shirts in the back of (read: deep) "in the closet" could be viewed as an analogy of Jack keeping his private gay life "in the closet"; the overused euphemism of "non-out" gays.  The same euphemism could perhaps be applied to Ennis as he somewhat hides the two shirts in his closet and the "proof" of his real life.  Although, to be fair, Jack was probably more "out" than Ennis ever could be.  So maybe it's not fair to call Jack closeted.  Still, is this perhaps a bit trite and/or oversimplified; am I just reaching?  Or should I just shut my brain off and go to bed?!
Blanche: "I don't really mind Clayton being homosexual.  I don't just don't like him dating men!  Surely there are homosexuals who date women?"
Sophia: "Yeah.  They're called lesbians!"

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the closet
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:44:17 pm »
No, moviegoer, I don't think it's reaching or trite at all. I think the symbolism is definitely there. The closet metaphor could apply to either Jack or Ennis individually. But perhaps most of all it applies to their relationship, and all the misery that resulted from having kept it closeted. Yet, as you note, at the end of the movie the shirts, symbol of their relationship, are STILL in a closet -- as opposed to the open free world we can see outside Ennis' window, which they were denied. So sad.  :'(

Welcome to BetterMost and the Open Forum, moviegoer! Nice to see you here.

:)

Offline OldeSoul

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 11:56:02 pm »
I think the "in the closet" metaphor is something that will hit home with even the more casual viewer. So even if someone doesn't necessarily pick up on all the symbolism (and there is a hell of a lot to pick up on!) this is something that will really stick in most people's minds. It really packs a punch because most people are familiar with that term.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road- in a world that may say that we're wrong?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 12:09:05 am »
Welcome, moviegoer...it's nice to meet you.  I hope you come to love BetterMost as much as me...there are lots of fine people here to get to know who share your obsession, sure 'nough.

For me, I haven't yet crossed the threshold of 'thinkin too much' about Brokeback Mountain, so I guess you have to be your own personal judge of that.  Of course, I don't want the movie to 'quit me' because it's inspired me in so many ways.

I like your parallel thinking about Jack's closet with the two bloody shirts, contraposed with Ennis' hidden shrine at the end of the movie.  It probably is the most 'obvious' metaphor for the general viewer and it works at that level, without a doubt.

I like to remember though, that Jack's closet space was open for Ennis to see into.  I'll argue to the death ;) that Jack's Mom knows of the shirts being there and fully understands their importance to her beloved son.  And that is contrasted with Ennis' closet, because he closes the door.  Of course, the open window leaves us with hope again.  I'm sure others have thought about this in more depth than I could possibly do justice.

The point is that you're not alone on fixating on symbolism like this.

Again, welcome!
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:52:44 am »
I like your parallel thinking about Jack's closet with the two bloody shirts, contraposed with Ennis' hidden shrine at the end of the movie.  It probably is the most 'obvious' metaphor for the general viewer and it works at that level, without a doubt.

I like to remember though, that Jack's closet space was open for Ennis to see into.  I'll argue to the death that Jack's Mom knows of the shirts being there and fully understands their importance to her beloved son.  And that is contrasted with Ennis' closet, because he closes the door.  Of course, the open window leaves us with hope again.  I'm sure others have thought about this in more depth than I could possibly do justice.

The point is that you're not alone on fixating on symbolism like this.

I agree whole heartedly about the symbolism of the shirts "in the closet" and Jack's mother knowing about the shirts and what they mean. It is interesting that you say that Jack's closet space was open for Ennis to see .... Jack was more open about being gay than was Ennis. The shirts were still somewhat hidden, however. They were not in plain sight. Although not everybody likes to quote a critic, I do like Roger Ebert and he says:

"A closing scene involving a visit by Ennis to Jack's parents is heartbreaking in what is said, and not said, about their world. A look around Jack's childhood bedroom suggests what he overcame to make room for his feelings."

I think that sums it up beautifully.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."