Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093655 times)

Offline DeeDee

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #530 on: June 30, 2006, 09:45:28 pm »
How about a few composite Ennis/new-HJ-Ellery pix?  ;)

I am partial to the B & W ones myself ... ;)
Heath and Jake are numero uno, but Heath and Hugh aint too bad either .. :P

Lordy!! I will be dreamin' sweet tonight.
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2006, 10:11:53 pm »

Could not resist this smile ...  ;D

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #532 on: July 01, 2006, 06:48:50 am »
Good morning, y'all!

I know, I'm up REALLY early, but Ennis and Ellery keep waking me up with new things to think about.

I learned about the Laramie Saga here on Bettermost, and now I'm obsessed. I have to agree with posts that say that Ellery is a good, good man. I have come to love him so much that I am now as glad that Ellery has Ennis as I am glad that Ennis has Ellery. And it's been a conversion experience for me. More on that in a later post.

Peace,
Fred
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #533 on: July 01, 2006, 07:05:27 am »
Hey Fred,

Welcome to the club of th obsessed. It is a good place to be. This story has given me so much to think about in the "experience" of BBM. I decided that's what it is...an experience. No longer just a movie or short story. There are people who choose not to read fanfics because they don't want to "ruin the story." And certainly that's finie and their decision, but I have come to realize that by doing that, they are missing out on the broader experience. Interesting.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #534 on: July 01, 2006, 07:06:09 am »
G'morning Fred!

I hear ya.  I was reluctant to think of Ennis with another man at first.  But Leslie (Mainewriter) convinced me to try reading a few chapters.   Now I'm hooked!

I think we all needed to see the closure of Jacks death.   A this we got.   Ennis was ready for his next life.  One where he can accept himself and be happy.   Ellery seems to want this too.   Which is why they click so well together.  Well that and all the sex.   LOL.    Louisev has given us a great supporting cast as well.

I think I miss Jack as much as Ennis does!    But even though Ellery is different than Jack, he is good for Ennis.  And he is letting Ennis grow emotionally.   And that is a good thing.

Dammit!  I want to move to Laramie and live with all these people!    

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #535 on: July 01, 2006, 07:44:34 am »
Louise and I have pm'ed privately on this. I get little drabbles of conversation for her story. This time I'll just throw it out to the group. Louise, I hope you don't mind! I think the ending of the latest chapter felt a little abrupt (after all, they were kicking you out of the Internet cafe!) so a bit of closure came to me at 4:30 am. 

EDIT: With the new chapter up, this doesn't exactly fit, but it was still fun to write so I am going to leave it here, for whatever...

---------------------------

The three of them ate their supper in easy conversation, talking about this and that, the Red Stallion, the office, horses. As Ellery finished eating, he laid his utensils neatly across his empty plate and looked at Ennis. "Thank you sweetheart," he said. "That was delicious."

"My pleasure," said Ennis with a smile.

Dupree concurred. "I don't get good grub like that very often," he said. "Bein' single, ain't worth the effort t'cook for myself."

"That's what I used t'say," said Ellery. "Bein' alone..."

"Ya ain't alone anymore," said Ennis, surprising himself, a bit, with the intimacy of the comment in front of Dupree, but feeling it needed to be said.

"No I ain't," replied Ellery, smiling.

Dupree looked at the two of them, then stood up. "Let me help with clearin' the dishes," he said, as he gathered up the plates.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 03:30:04 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #536 on: July 01, 2006, 07:46:36 am »
Okay gang...

At long last... I trekked to the internet cafe and here is another poorly-offset Wordpad chapter!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/63277.html?view=480045#t480045  "Chapter 49:  The Two Sides of Ennis"

The hotel has finally determined their provider is having an outage.  At first I thought this was good news... providers don't stay out for two days, do they?

Oh how wrong I am.

The good news is, I should be home in just over 24 hours!

I love the black and white photoshop composites!  And welcome Pastor Fred!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #537 on: July 01, 2006, 08:02:44 am »
Louise and I have pm'ed privately on this. I get little drabbles of conversation for her story. This time I'll just throw it out to the group. Louise, I hope you don't mind! I think the ending of the latest chapter felt a little abrupt (after all, they were kicking you out of the Internet cafe!) so a bit of closure came to me at 4:30 am. 

nah, I don't mind.

The past two chapters have been drafted under "less than ideal" conditions, and it really does annoy me, I can't tell you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #538 on: July 01, 2006, 08:03:54 am »

Okay gang, it is 2 p.m. Central European time and I have exactly 50 minutes , not enough time to write a new chapter and I am way too tense to go back and reformat chapter 49, so I am going into the Chat Room.

Anyone who wants to meet me there I would love to chat... I am still trembling from internet withdrawal.

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #539 on: July 01, 2006, 08:44:19 am »
Thanks for the new chapter, Louise. Ennis still runs full throttle on all roads, doesn't he?  ;)

I have to say that (imho, of course) you write only a few sex scenes per se. You surely write a lot of love scenes, and some of them (like this one) are red hot.

Maybe one of the great gifts of bbm and fanfic thereof is to allow a lot of people to recognize the reality of two men making love.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred