Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3093296 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #580 on: July 02, 2006, 10:34:38 am »
Yippee! My birthday present from Louise!

and what a lovely present for us all!

That was just delicious. "Yer just real handsome is all..." What a great statement!!!

LOL
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #581 on: July 02, 2006, 11:10:30 am »
I didnt put in the long foreplay though, that'll come later.

???  ???   Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?   ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #582 on: July 02, 2006, 11:24:58 am »
for Ennis it can be!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #583 on: July 02, 2006, 11:30:07 am »
I'm re-reading the whole Laramie Saga to date, and I just have to mention a vivid memory that I've experienced in chapter 39: Brokeback. Ennis is on his way to Brokeback for the first time with the journal. He stops at a truck stop in Rawlins, where he showers, calls Ellery, and sleeps in the back of his truck. At exit 209 on Interstate 80 there is a large truck stop with showers and banks of pay phones. It's name is "Gay Johnson's," and I ain't jokin'. Here's a citation from the URL http://www.rockymountainroads.com/i-080h_wy.html

"The next exit along westbound Interstate 80 is Exit 209, Johnson Road. Prior to the emergence of truck stop chains in Wyoming, the Johnson Road interchange was perhaps best known for "Gay Johnson's," a truck stop and automobile repair service. Today the facility is a Flying J."

I've stopped there at least a couple of times on my way across Wyoming.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #584 on: July 02, 2006, 11:35:54 am »
I didnt put in the long foreplay though, that'll come later.

I'm holding you to that, sweetie!  ;)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #585 on: July 02, 2006, 12:15:01 pm »
This is now the 7th most popular thread on the board. We've passed the 1000+ posts club as well as "What do we look like, anyway?" We have a long way to go to catch the next one on the list....the performance, which right now is over 1000.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #586 on: July 02, 2006, 12:35:12 pm »
We have a lively discussion going on Chez Tremblay about the Laramie Saga on the Ennis and Ellery thread. I am posting the links here to the story, mostly for convenience.

For those who may be reading this and are not familiar with the story, it is (at present) a trilogy. Louise, who lives in Germany, iis the author. Two stories are finished, the third is in progress. The first one is called "Taking Chances" and can be found here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/2743.html

The second one is "Looking for Answers" and can be found here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27985.html

And the third one (which is in progress) is called "A Second Chance" and can be found here:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/50230.html

The premise: story starts in 1984, two years after Jack's death. Ennis has been doing some reading, research about queer life, trying to come to grips with Jack's death and who he is. In the process of reading, he sees an ad for a gay bar in Laramie, WY. The story starts when he walks into that bar...

Updated links to each chapter can be found in the Ennis and Ellery thread, which is where the discussion is occurring, too.

Leslie
MaineWriter

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #587 on: July 02, 2006, 01:22:29 pm »
 ;DHappy birthday, Leslie! ;D

I'll let Louise provide the fireworks, as she does so well.

Offline LoveEmBoys

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #588 on: July 02, 2006, 03:30:53 pm »
OK!  Caught up to Chap 51 now!  Yea - Junior's in town!  Loved the comment to Ellery about him being handsome, how sweet.  I'm sorry she an Kurt are having such a hard go of it.

Hey, Ennis hasn't told her WHAT type of work he does on Saturday nights, has he?  HEE, that should be amusing.  What with him being worried about having alcohol on his breath when she arrived...  Wait til Alma hears he works in a bar.  Much less a gay bar!

M

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #589 on: July 02, 2006, 03:31:20 pm »
muah. I take it from the replies in Livejournal that so far Junior's visit has had good reception, I am working on the next chapter as we speak.

And I am popping back into Chat! for anyone who wants to blab at me. I have missed the internet soooooo much!!!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”