Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3094252 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #850 on: July 07, 2006, 03:29:01 pm »
nB: Watch out, NC17 props ahead...

Lucise: we need Ennis's truck...

Gallery has been updated with better Beagle pics, Ennis' truck and Ellery's holster.. ;)

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2833.msg54980#msg54980

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #851 on: July 07, 2006, 03:29:29 pm »

- Am mystified why anyone would not want Ennis to move on after two years of morning Jack?  Why would anyone want that for someone they cared about? Why would Jack want that for Ennis.

Do you know the old saying, "Misery loves company?"

Ennis and Jack are real: They are archetypes that live in all of us. So our grief about Jack's death is real. Each person needs to move on from grief at her or his own pace. Those who are not ready to move on don't want Ennis to move on, or you or me, either. If the question should actually come up in a conversation, we can just say something like, "I really need this to help me deal with my grief. If it doesn't help you, don't read it."
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #852 on: July 07, 2006, 03:40:13 pm »
Thanks Fred,  Understand the concept.  Hope those folks find there Ellery or whatever motivates them to Move On, as Sondheim might say!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #853 on: July 07, 2006, 03:44:26 pm »
"I really need this to help me deal with my grief. If it doesn't help you, don't read it."
I shall have to do my very best to remember that line.  It is good.
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #854 on: July 07, 2006, 03:49:45 pm »
Ennis and Jack are real: They are archetypes that live in all of us. So our grief about Jack's death is real. Each person needs to move on from grief at her or his own pace. Those who are not ready to move on don't want Ennis to move on, or you or me, either. If the question should actually come up in a conversation, we can just say something like, "I really need this to help me deal with my grief. If it doesn't help you, don't read it."

Well said pastor Fred. :) 

I just got another Jack is/was the only person for Ennis [sigh].  To each and their own, that's all I can say.  Something that is true to me, doesn't always work for others.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #855 on: July 07, 2006, 03:56:08 pm »
Well said pastor Fred. :) 

I just got another Jack is/was the only person for Ennis [sigh].  To each and their own, that's all I can say.  Something that is true to me, doesn't always work for others.

Jenny, what do you mean "I just got another..."? Not following you here...

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #856 on: July 07, 2006, 03:59:05 pm »
yee haw! ranchgal!  welcome, have you been in here before and I just missed you?  it is so friendly here I think I am in love all over again!

Hi well I registered here just after you told us about it on your lj--but haven't really found much to add in the way of comments, mostly just lurk around and read.    Usually figure my babbling on on LJ is probably enough out of me.

But I have to say--the above pictures show real talent.
I really like the guy you all seem to have chosen for Ellery. fantastic find.  Almost good enough to eat with a spoon!!    Very nice.
Always thought Amos was older than in the picture, but maybe just my interpretation of him being such a fuddy duddy jerk.
Don't know why, but this Wayne seems more handsome than the Wayne I picture when I read it, sort of more like a Gene and a whiner--this guy seems too real, beefier too. LOL
And this Bill is alot better than the Bill in my mind, though I don't know why. funny isn't it how perspectives change sometimes through different situations.  Maybe this will stick when I read the next installment.

don't know about Dupree, not sure if when I mental image him I get quite so much muscle definition, but this guy would work.  Very interesting.

Very interesting threads and viewpoints.  I love looking at all the props, did a good job on the horses too.  Nellie sure shows her blood--and Pal and Socks are just the kind of horses a good old ranch boy would be able to afford.   Good imagery here. LOL

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #857 on: July 07, 2006, 04:01:51 pm »
you want to know what is odd about that Jenny?  About in the middle of "Taking Chances" where Ellery is dragging Ennis around and being Mr. Deputy Hotshot I felt like I was really portraying Ennis as a sort of a helpless follower, and I thought... I have to start moving Ennis back into character here.  He doesn't passively accept things, he is an active guy and he needs to be something other than the guy sleeping in Ellery's bed.  I had a moment of plot crisis there, once he came back from Brokeback.  However I also realized that following the outpouring of grief, Ennis was going to be a bit passive for a while.  And he got over it.  And that's when I think Mr. Coyote sort of came out and howled at the moon.

Louise, I understand what you are saying.  Having Ennis being passive at the beginning of the story does not bother me at all.  I actually think it makes sense for Ennis being that way given he was still coming out of his emotional coma, and was surrounded with things that were very foreign to him.  Ennis always was, for the lack of better word, sexually more aggressive when he was with Jack, and therefore the Mr. Coyote in his relationship with Ellery.  Ennis is your typical outward passive and inward aggressive type. Ellery is the opposite, but boy, do I love Mr. Deputy Hotshot ;D.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #858 on: July 07, 2006, 04:08:45 pm »
you do?

Is this a consensus?  You guys liked Ellery doing his Hotshot thing in Taking Chances and Looking for Answers?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #859 on: July 07, 2006, 04:09:50 pm »
Update to "A Second Chance"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/67034.html  "Chapter 63:  Meeting Nellie"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”